• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Temped to buy the expansion, or waiting to see what this announcement is the following week?

I was originally tempted to go ahead and buy the immersion pack. But then I watched a couple of Let's Plays that just came out that featured Golden Century (I could only find the two).

Now I've deceded to wait a bit, maybe until after Christmas.

I have 2 questions about this DLC:

1. Why in "Claims in Aragon" mission for Castile you give "Restoration of Union" cb and in the next mission "Recover Portugal" you demand to conquer both Portuguese mainland states?
2. Is AI Burgundy scripted to rival PC Castile?
3. Why all Castilian centers of trade in Sevilla are assigned to Nobility?

Last edited:
Small mistakes:

Avila: According to their own physical map and according to reality, they are MOUNTAINS, and not meadows.

Climate: I see that they have not touched it

Huelva: Why do not fish instead of livestock?

2 forts in Castile: Serian 3 with Granada, but 3 in 400,000 km2. Portugal 2 in 100,000 km2 and Aragon, 3 in 100,000 km2. Castilla comes from castles (castillo in Spanish)

La Coruña and Pontevedra: They should have cloths and salt, since in Galicia there was a strong textile industry (linen) and salt. Galicia was the most developed region in 1800. I find 3 fish exaggerated.

As Valencian myself, i can see some reason on putting Catalonian culture on Valencia (hardly, but well, not the end of the world). What bothers me the most is that not only imposed the Catalan culture to the Valencian lands, but also the nation itself has the same ideas and traditions as Catalonia, even when there was enough feedback and suggestions about that. Its sad that they neglected our near 900 years of history.

But oh well, this is the Mesoamerican and Pirates DLC, i cant wait for the Iberian Inmersion pack to get announced.

I will not buy this DLC, a first one I don't from Paradox.

That this DLC is being marketed as Iberian is an insult to most people from there, and then some. I am glad some mechanics are being given free, but those are not mechanics to be given feedback about the DLC, which is misdirection from PDX. And that mechanics from past DLCs are unlocked with this one means that the DLC was not worth the money they priced it.

Also, missions, missions should always be free, since this is the Iberian Update, and those were FREE in the Poland update.

Is it WAD that Castille's 'Recover Portugal' mission requires you to hold Portugal directly rather than under PU?

Edit: Their mission tree is pretty underwhelming imho. Always nice to see a permanent modifier in a set of missions.

Why "recover", at the first place ?
My guess is that they read that the Portuguese lands were once part of modern day Spain before being gifted to a Portuguese noble and thought it would be in Spain's best intention to "reclaim" that land.

I will not buy this DLC, a first one I don't from Paradox.

That this DLC is being marketed as Iberian is an insult to most people from there, and then some. I am glad some mechanics are being given free, but those are not mechanics to be given feedback about the DLC, which is misdirection from PDX. And that mechanics from past DLCs are unlocked with this one means that the DLC was not worth the money they priced it.

Also, missions, missions should always be free, since this is the Iberian Update, and those were FREE in the Poland update.
I agree with most of what you said but not about the missions. I don't care about missions one iota, but if they want to work on some and charge for them they should be paid for their work.

As Valencian myself, i can see some reason on putting Catalonian culture on Valencia (hardly, but well, not the end of the world). What bothers me the most is that not only imposed the Catalan culture to the Valencian lands, but also the nation itself has the same ideas and traditions as Catalonia, even when there was enough feedback and suggestions about that. Its sad that they neglected our near 900 years of history.

But oh well, this is the Mesoamerican and Pirates DLC, i cant wait for the Iberian Inmersion pack to get announced.

This is not a Mesoamerican DLC. We have new provinces and nations, things we could get in a free patch update. Many of the provinces have technically more problems that the ones in Iberia (cultures, names, positions of capitals or even whole provinces, etc.) Now we have archievement for Huastecs, but where are the new mechanics, ideas, missions trees, etc?

Even the Caribbean, where are the Tainos and "Island" Carib nations, or Afrocaribean events and mechanics?

We have the same problem this "lado del charco", there are still many things to upgrade and add in Mesoamerica, that like in Iberia could take many more updates to see because this one is labeled like that.

By the way I am not realy complaining about 1.28 Mesoamerica like many people do with 1.28 Iberia (these ones with reason). Since I feel the changes to Mesoamerica are a welcomed "extra" to any content related to Iberia.

Please people, dont keep this Mesoamerica DLC idea for 1.28, there are many people like me that are waiting for an Americas/Colonial full expansion DLC that could upgrade all the colonial mechanics (disease, culture, "westernization", etc.) And like devs did before con "El Dorado", Iberia also gonna win something from that DLC.

Last edited:
I will probably keep buying new updates because I'm such an achievement whore but the game has become a bit of an embarrasment imho.

Increasingly it seems the game is being balanced around mp or dare I say it dev clashes. Instead of introducing a menu to allow you to toggle certain things on/off sort of like they did with idea group choices, we get new rules that kill the sandbox aspect of the game for single player mode.

Lack of engaging new mechanics has been discussed at length recently. Instead, the change to missions gives the devs low hanging fruit that they can sell to us, which requires less creativity or thought. And I cringe at the new ahistorical Navarra ideas giving claims on Ireland.

Government reforms are a bit bizarre, with India having a tonne of unique ones but comparatively few elsewhere.

One reason I used to love new updates was the new provinces and tags but I'm not sure what these are adding to the game at this point, particularly when they can't seem to get province or city locations right.

Tldr: wish I wasn't such an achievement whore so I could just be happy rolling back to cradle of civ.

Valencian culture and National Ideas are needed. I hope they will come with the 1.28.2.

Also, I recommend do a three provinces state Extremadura, adding the province of Almendrejo, just like in Victoria II. Then, put Asturias in León state. And finally add the province of Guadalajara between Soria and Cuenca, and then transfer Valladolidad to Asturias state but change the state name to Castilla la Vieja. Guadalajara should be in Castilla state but should change the name too.

Portugal needs two new provinces more, Setubal under Lisbon and another one.

Finally, Valencia must be farmlands to reflect the Valencian Orchard. Seville and Porto should be farmlands too. And maybe Lisbon and Madrid.

I will probably keep buying new updates because I'm such an achievement whore but the game has become a bit of an embarrasment imho.

Increasingly it seems the game is being balanced around mp or dare I say it dev clashes. Instead of introducing a menu to allow you to toggle certain things on/off sort of like they did with idea group choices, we get new rules that kill the sandbox aspect of the game for single player mode.

Lack of engaging new mechanics has been discussed at length recently. Instead, the change to missions gives the devs low hanging fruit that they can sell to us, which requires less creativity or thought. And I cringe at the new ahistorical Navarra ideas giving claims on Ireland.

Government reforms are a bit bizarre, with India having a tonne of unique ones but comparatively few elsewhere.

One reason I used to love new updates was the new provinces and tags but I'm not sure what these are adding to the game at this point, particularly when they can't seem to get province or city locations right.

Tldr: wish I wasn't such an achievement whore so I could just be happy rolling back to cradle of civ.

I was the same ^^ but at this point there's still a number of achievements i need i'll just hunt those down. I don't have slightest urge to buy this expansion. I wouldn't mind playing pirates and thats about it. I played granada, spain, portugal already.. Its absurd anway.. i am supposed to go through complete spanish mission tree... quite boring that game will turn out to speed 5 fest half way.

If i ever finish these achievements i have and there's a discount i'll get GC.

That is the thing that has struck me most, coming in at, what 1.16? And then playing again after Cradle of Civilisation - since about 1.16, the new stuff, Institutions, Ages, the new mission trees, all the various extra basically toggles features, the Dharma changes that excascerbated TC as the strategy... It all is slowly adding up to something that feels a lot more rail-roady in what you can do. I started to feel it with a custom nation in that last game, and that was just before the new mission system came in. Sure, you can ignore lots of it, but then you are having to give up options that you would have had in older versions of the game.

(I'm holding off commenting in detail until the 18th when we see where they're going, but it's noticable that of the four currently Grand Strats, the other three's expansions have had me to excited to play because of the new stuff, while EUIV's last three have really not (and I have thus skipped all of them - plus Third Rome) thus far, even when on sale. The fact that some of the idea groups appear to be worse with some of the expansions doesn't do them any favours.)

I do have to wonder if the Devs have become a bit insular in their playtesting or something.

I'm not sure if I have to post it here, but I wanted to say that after this pach, my CNs are helping me in war... in mainland EUrope!! troops of brazil and cuba where fighting in morocco by land.

For me it's the first time happening since I play the game. Anyone knows about this?

I found it beautiful... I hope it's not a bug :p