• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What do those DLC owners get? I’m not happy with givibg content away for free that I paid for

The DLC is over 3 years old and cost less than a good bottle of wine. You got your value out of it. Old games/content being made free isn't unheard of in the games industry.

And "you" are not "giving away" anything. Paradox is. Other players getting something that you have does not take away from your game experience. Especially since you could already share DLC in multiplayer.

Christ, what a selfish comment. As an owner of all the DLC, I'm all for old DLC features that were super important to be made part of the base game.

can we sue them for insulting spanish and portugese people?
To be fair, even if it doesn't make Spanish content good, they tried.
Spain is very powerful both on land and sea, maybe the best nation overall until last tier of the game's timeframe or even the best ever if we mix all together land, naval, colonisation, and precocity. Again, it doesn't mean the content is good, but it's not insulting at all. It's just wrong in many ways and a lot of things that could have been implemented has not.

Portugal can genuinely feel insulted. And I'm saying that as a french.
Portugal has twice the same bonus (trade efficiency, 10% and 5%) in NI's. I think it's the only one and it shows how poorly POR ideas have been done. Plus some nations have 15% trade efficiency once... And historically speaking, they can have one trade bonus but efficiency should be the very last to be considered. Trade power or trade steering would have been ok.
Portugal has no land bonus whereas they defeated much bigger european nations (including their super-neighboor) and much more powerful "natives", in the Old World. Much more powerful than for Spain who faced native americans and much more powerful than other european nations because they showed up after the tech gap became significant.
Portugal has no naval idea, whereas they were the best on the seas for half the timeframe. Both in warfare and exploration. Navarra has no coastaline but is better on seas...
Portugal still can't do anything without Castile. It's like a weak little brother that needs its big one to do something like conquering Morocco. While making Portugal and Castile ingame friends to make Portugal able to exist in most games was acceptable until now, it's another insult because it has not been fixed after an "immersion pack" came out.
Portugal got only one province, an irrelevant one, showing poor historical research. Ireland has a similar size, is by no means as relevant as Portugal, and is more detailed.
Basic fixing has not been done, Algarve's capital is not the good one, Viseu is still Beira's capital whereas it's now geographically in the new irrelevant province (which wouldn't happen if not drawn out of total dev's fantasy).
There are also small clues here and there showing how much Portugal has been considered as a minor, like the fact that a spanish missions is called "recover Portugal", like Portugal even belonged to Spain.

So for Portugal, they didn't even tried.

Whats the point of buying a DLC with new features if those features are going to be free 3 years after? And dont come to me with "you played with those features 3 years before some ppl" because I dont care, I want my money back then. What a scamm. You are taking parts of old Dlcs to release the same mechanich into newer Dlcs and releasing old mechanics from them save old Dlcs to attract new customers. Never ever gona buy anything from you guys. You are covering yourselves with quite a lot of hate over the internet.

I really like the chnges and already played the DLC, but my flags are a bit f*cked up! Maybe you can fix this soon. I would be very happy!

upload_2018-12-12_16-38-33.png

Whats the point of buying a DLC with new features if those features are going to be free 3 years after? And dont come to me with "you played with those features 3 years before some ppl" because I dont care, I want my money back then. What a scamm. You are taking parts of old Dlcs to release the same mechanich into newer Dlcs and releasing old mechanics from them save old Dlcs to attract new customers. Never ever gona buy anything from you guys. You are covering yourselves with quite a lot of hate over the internet.

Are you going to berate them for having sales as well? Or if you bought Windows 10, would you have been angry MS gave everyone a free upgrade? Do you get angry at people who buy DVDs in the bargin bin for next to nothing? Because it's all the same thing.

Don't you use money anymore if someone finds 10 euros on the street?

Never complained about 'game being too hard'. Game is actually way too easy, you can start as a single province nation and humiliate Ottomans few ages later, but that's another story.
I'm just wondering did they do some proper testing (outside some casual Spain runs) before relesing this dlc? Silly question indeed, of couse they didn't.
Because Morocco is simply unplayable now. Restarted 3 times. Same story, within the first year or two of the game, Spain allying Portugal and start supporting one of my vassals independence, which immediately result in all my 3 vassals declaring war on me (despite having amazing relations and almost no liberty desire), so it's a Spain, Portugal + 3 vassals war against me, sometimes eventually they can bring England too. Basically unvincible situation (80k vs 20k, plus more than 2 times supperior fleet), no matter what you do.. And ofcourse they will demand much much more than just liberty for these vassals in a peace treaty.
It's so funny how Spain magically forgetting about Granada, Aragon itc and suddenly start seeing Morocco as a biggest enemy, only because it led by a human player :D. I didn't even added them as a rival, heh.
Guess only way you can deal with it is to release all your 3 vassals at the beggining, which is dumb gameplay, to say the least.

To be fair, even if it doesn't make Spanish content good, they tried.
Spain is very powerful both on land and sea, maybe the best nation overall until last tier of the game's timeframe or even the best ever if we mix all together land, naval, colonisation, and precocity. Again, it doesn't mean the content is good, but it's not insulting at all. It's just wrong in many ways and a lot of things that could have been implemented has not.

Portugal has twice the same bonus (trade efficiency, 10% and 5%) in NI's. I think it's the only one and it shows how poorly POR ideas have been done. Plus some nations have 15% trade efficiency once... And historically speaking, they can have one trade bonus but efficiency should be the very last to be considered. Trade power or trade steering would have been ok.
Portugal has no land bonus whereas they defeated much bigger european nations (including their super-neighboor) and much more powerful "natives", in the Old World. Much more powerful than for Spain who faced native americans and much more powerful than other european nations because they showed up after the tech gap became significant.
Portugal has no naval idea, whereas they were the best on the seas for half the timeframe. Both in warfare and exploration. Navarra has no coastaline but is better on seas...
Portugal still can't do anything without Castile. It's like a weak little brother that needs its big one to do something like conquering Morocco. While making Portugal and Castile ingame friends to make Portugal able to exist in most games was acceptable until now, it's another insult because it has not been fixed after an "immersion pack" came out.
Portugal got only one province, an irrelevant one, showing poor historical research. Ireland has a similar size, is by no means as relevant as Portugal, and is more detailed.
Basic fixing has not been done, Algarve's capital is not the good one, Viseu is still Beira's capital whereas it's now geographically in the new irrelevant province (which wouldn't happen if not drawn out of total dev's fantasy).
There are also small clues here and there showing how much Portugal has been considered as a minor, like the fact that a spanish missions is called "recover Portugal", like Portugal even belonged to Spain.

I do feel insulted.

• Treasure Fleet mechanics will be unlocked in Golden Century (Previously tied to only El Dorado)
  • All Privateering related mechanics will be unlocked in Golden Century
  • Transfer Occupation will be available to all players (previously tied to Art of War)
  • Increase Development feature will be available to all players (Previously tied to Common Sense)
I don't have GC, but surely the privateering mechanics are actually required if you're going to play a pirate nation (and to a lesser extent treasure fleets)? (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Increase development unlock seems like a sop to try and calm anyone annoyed with the unannounced capital move nerf.

I may be reading this entirely the wrong way, but I get the strong feeling that these unlocks were already planned for GC, and tying them to "As a result of feedback" (to paraphrase) is just an attempt at PR damage control...

Are you going to berate them for having sales as well? Or if you bought Windows 10, would you have been angry MS gave everyone a free upgrade? Do you get angry at people who buy DVDs in the bargin bin for next to nothing? Because it's all the same thing.

Don't you use money anymore if someone finds 10 euros on the street?

Yeah, nice try.
Steam reviews speak for themselves.

My guess is that they read that the Portuguese lands were once part of modern day Spain before being gifted to a Portuguese noble and thought it would be in Spain's best intention to "reclaim" that land.

Portugal was a county of the Leonese Kingdom. But it was long time ago, even considering the EU4 starting date. Recover is not the right word.

Seville and Porto should be farmlands too. And maybe Lisbon and Madrid.

I live around Porto. The old buildings are gone, the old farms too, but the hills continue here. I live in a hill, more like a valley, actually. Everywhere I go I must go ups and downs. Just like the people of early modern Porto. Thats why our enemies usually did not invade from the north. Vut you are right about Lisbon.

This. +1.

I do feel insulted.

I don't because this is, after all, a computer game. It's not real history. As an historian, I feel more unconfortable if I find this lack of accuracy on books or websites. Still, I like this game very much, and so this last patch was a disapointment.

I don't because this is, after all, a computer game. It's not real history. As an historian, I feel more unconfortable if I find this lack of accuracy on books or websites. Still, I like this game very much, and so this last patch was a disapointment.

I feel insulted just when put in comparison with other "Immersion Packs". The lack of attention and how the team apparently feel satisfied with the work done - evident by the reply "Every dev diary was smack full of contente". Just in regards to the effort and interest put in for the supposedly region of focus for the pack. Of course it is a computer game in the end.

Nice, now there's hope there'll be added PROVINCE POPULATION FEATURE in the feature along development mechanics (which represents infrastructure). I'd realy love to see population per province which increases in peace/prosperity time and decreases when there is devastation/war time/army or sailor recruitment. Oh and one more thing - no more massive SWEDISH buffs every new patch... it's getting "Sverige Universalis" instead of EUROPA in the game's name. Oh and I like what you did to Mughal Diwan cultural assimilation bonuses but why not giving the other countries a possibility to do it?
(ps any changes to Bohemia soon?)

Sweden is only powerful if it gets free early enough that it can compete with Muscovy/Russia. In nearly every playthrough I have where it isn't controlled by a player or I specifically go through the trouble of freeing them, they are stuck under 50% liberty desire with Denmark, and so eventually get absorbed. So the balance is there.

Being independant or not has nothing to do with balance.
In case of Sweden it has. If they stay a vassal o Denmark, chances are that Denmark will, at most, feed a couple of Russian provinces to Sweden before annexing them (the AI loves annexing subjects, even PU's). Sweden only has a chance to become strong if it breaks free from Denmark and eat some of Norway/Denmark in the process. Otherwise, even with all of their strong permanent modifiers, they will stay rather small and, by extension, not a serious power.

I am sure the owners of the dlcs like AOW will get some feature as compensation.

I own all the DLCs but since I don't seem to be losing anything, and am gaining the possibility that future development of the game will build on these features - I'm not sure what I'd getting compensated for. I mean I'm not so selfish that I feel the need to be compensated because Paradox let other people play with 'my' toys.

When I'm trying to mod the formula of yearly missionary cost:

base cost + dev factor * development ^ ( autonomy base + local autonomy * autonomy factor) * local/global missionary maintenance cost

I find three new defines added in 1.28, and consider that these are corresponding to the three factors in the formula literally:

MISSIONARY_MAINTENANCE_DEVELOPMENT_FACTOR = 1.0, -- How much this is ncreased from development
MISSIONARY_MAINTENANCE_AUTONOMY_FACTOR = 1.0, -- How much this is ncreased from local autonomy
MISSIONARY_MAINTENANCE_AUTONOMY_BASE = 1.0, -- The local autonomy is added to this base in the formula.

In my test, the modification of the first and the third define do effect the formula as the factors they correspond. BUT, modifying the second define has no effect on the formula. Whether I change it to positive or negative, integer or decimal, the "autonomy factor" in the formula is always 1. Why is that?