• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 11th of September 2018

Good morning and welcome to the first Post-Dharma dev diary. Dharma was released last week and by most measures was an extremely successful release for us. That said, we have a tradition of post release support for our games and expansions, that's what I'm here to talk about today.

Firstly, While Dharma had very few critical bugs on release, there are still issues out there that merit a hotfix. For us, a hotfix is a swift patch on a released product, aimed to fix two particular types of issues: Ones which disrupt the game/its features in a big way, typically crashes, freezes or features breaking in peculiar ways, or small yet high-impact issues which are quick to fix and test on our end.

We are building a hotfix as we speak, and a preliminary list of fixes we are going to be patching are as follows:

• Fix crash when supporting heir with negative chance
  • Fixed a peace treaty crash for players continuing their 1.25 saves
  • Fixed Trade Company Investments being lost on tag switch
  • Fixed Trade company Crash
  • Fixed Crash when stopping Area Rebel suppression
  • Revolutionary governments now lose their number of reforms as if they switched via reform
  • Mewar achievement script issue fixed (should be visible if you've formed another nation)
  • Fixes theocracies and hordes not getting aristocratic ideas
  • Fixed rulers swapping religions back and fourth in certain cases
  • Fixed Achievements not being available for released nations
  • Stopped tight-fisted AI chartering provinces for 0 ducats
  • Adopt Islamic government no longe ravailable to Indian Sultanates
More fixes may be added to this list as we continue to monitor bug reports that are coming in. Our plan is to release this hotfix as a beta at some point this week, and fold that beta into the main game after a few days, assuming no other serious issues pop up.

There are certainly other issues which I'm certain people are keen to see addressed. For those, we are beginning work on the main post-release Update, 1.27. Let's talk about that now.

Post release updates come after a big expansion, are free and targeted at a region, much like the 1.24 Japan update. We add some flavour to the target region. It also allows us to round up on a lot of the bugs which come in, both for the recently released expansion and some of the older backlog of issues. They sometimes go hand in hand with other things, and that will be the case, as with 1.27, EU4 will also be joining the ranks of our other games in becoming fully GDPR compliant. More details on this will be released closer to the time, but the result for most users will just wind up being a policy to read before playing the game.

Religious conversion in territories has been a hot topic since its changes were announced for and subsequently released in 1.26. The response on it on all platforms (and I've read almost all of them) has lead to some interesting conversations about that whats and whys of religious conversion and some cool ideas on what do do about it. I'm not quite naive enough to overlook how they were overall negatively received, and we want to address these grievances. In the short term, we're going to look at bringing Religious and Humanist more in line with each other as viable choices for your nation for 1.27. We have longer term ideas for conversions, but we'll talk more about that down the line after 1.27.

So yes, Hotfix this week, 1.27 coming soon. Religious conversions responses not falling on deaf ears. Now how about the target for 1.27? Well, over the past year we've put a lot of work into the "Rest of the World" With focus on Japan, The Far East, The Near East and now India.

I'd say it's high time we put the Europa

Europa.jpg

Back in Europa Universalis

Dharma was released last week and by most measures was an extremely successful release for us
But not for players. It have only 34% approval in steam.

The response on it on all platforms (and I've read almost all of them) has lead to some interesting conversations about that whats and whys of religious conversion and some cool ideas on what do do about it. I'm not quite naive enough to overlook how they were overall negatively received, and we want to address these grievances. In the short term, we're going to look at bringing Religious and Humanist more in line with each other as viable choices for your nation for 1.27. We have longer term ideas for conversions, but we'll talk more about that down the line after 1.27.
"Buy dharma now, take many problem for game, but solution of this problem we doing in the future." Realy??? Its so ridiculous

I think it is fine. Blocking conversions works as a mechanic to stop players from taking unwanted land and also buffs pretty much useless tolerance ideas (like many HRE members have, like +1 to heretics). It is just that One Faith or just stabilizing the realm through common religion is not possible anymore. I think countries with religious ideas are the ones actively seeking to do so and should be allowed to do it, while ones without it might benefit the game without this ability to convert territories.

It does not stop players from taking land though. As you mentioned yourself they will simply stack tolerance (usually through Humanist) instead. Unless of course this:

n the short term, we're going to look at bringing Religious and Humanist more in line with each other as viable choices for your nation for 1.27.

means we will see a nerf to Humanist shortly :D

Anyway, since Jake also mentioned a long term plan to change the conversion mechanic I'm personally hoping for a shift away from the rather binary state/territory split and have development play a more important role

Making radical change without proper accompanying system and fixing it later.. Typical circulation.

I hope that we will be able to draw border of East of German Empire with redrawing provinces at Posen.

would be nice if the "free patch" would get free missions and events for the region besides just more provinces, achievements, tags or ideas. (cause thats not more depth.) In the Japan/Philpines "free" Update iam still missing these. ('cause you will never look back at them)
Hope as well, that the religion change will get dropped out. Its so useless right now. (If you really need to nerf, take on of the 20 better ideas to do so instead of ruin it for every player past the first 100 hours of gametime)
Please also consider the "end game" tag as an optional thing for MP Games. and fix the corruption horde mechanic.

@DDRJake For religous, how about once you "convert" a province, it doesn't "change religions" but instead has a religious minority. Then sending a missionary again can convert the province to a religious majority, maybe have 3 steps of conversion. It would keep missionaries busy, be historical and add different religions for different provinces.
As far as 1.27, please PLEASE split Silistre in two. That eye-sore had got to go.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1509362900
On a side note, I consider this a victory. Not too shabby for being way outnumbered and me being stupid and attacking with full mandate. :) Thanks for the update guys, destroying Ming as Manchu is a breeze, but with Taungu it's quite...... engaging.

Last edited:
@DDRJake

Are you seriously going to leave corruption as is in-game? How about the AI that in 1.26 has reached new records of stupidity (i.e. it has never been this terrible before)? Go watch my last vod whereI was at war with 6-8 AIs that bordered each other and were also at war with each other (Lang Xang and co.) completely abandoned their country to go carpet me. Because they all had the same brilliant idea, they ended up fighting each other inside my territory thousands of Kms away from their home land. Go play a game in 1.13 and you´ll see the AI was leaps and bounds better than this joke you guys call an AI.

@DDRJake For religous, how about once you "convert" a province, it doesn't "change religions" but instead has a religious minority. Then sending a missionary again can convert the province to a religious majority, maybe have 3 steps of conversion. It would keep missionaries busy, be historical and add different religions for different provinces.
Dei Gratia-style?

But not for players. It have only 34% approval in steam.

"Buy dharma now, take many problem for game, but solution of this problem we doing in the future." Realy??? Its so ridiculous
that doesnt mean ape shit. same as all the threads. its like a minority of people who try to take over the discussion by screaming out rly loudly and often.

I have no idea what that means.
Dei Gratia is a mod that adds a lot to religions. One of the aspects is adding religious minorities, and you need to send missionaries three to four times in a province to get your religion in the province.

Poland still has orthodox churches displayed in cities. :(

Poland? But, but, I'm in the middle of a Poland game. Now all I'm going to think about is how my game could be so much better with those upcoming improvements! What a way to make my game feel meh. :rolleyes: