Imperator - Development Diary #16 - 10th of September 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The new revolt system sounds great. EU4 revolts are mostly just little whack a moles you have to defeat before they enforce demands.

This. They are more annoying than threatening. I hope we can have big rebellions in I:R like Boudicca's uprising, First Jewish–Roman War or Vercingetorix revolt but Paradox would have to implement guerilla warfare to make them more balanced and historically accurate.

While I totally agree that the Royal roads (I insist on the plural) should be there, some portions were gradually lost to time because of the new political landscape in Anatolia. On the contrary in a politically unified structure like the Seleucid Empire the road to the upper satrapies played a vital role in its management.

It is also notable that there were roads in Gaul in the first century BC, the Romans may have built their roads over Gallic and improved them.

Is it just me or have they changed the Flags?

I hope that there will be some downsides of having advanced infrastructure, like the need for upkeep, repairs, etc..

You do know that Roman roads were built to not require repairs.

So only latins can have roads?

celts used wooden roads and the persians had the royal road well before rome was much of anything. Mauryans also built roads, the use of which allowed ashoka to conquer kalinga.

seems ahistorical if they are only limited to rome.

But that's exactly what Caesar's did when he was curator of the Appian Way.
Wasn't that a really menial meaningless task that the Senate handed to him?

You do know that Roman roads were built to not require repairs.

Nope roman roads function purely on passive aggressiveness, thinks like floods, earthquakes, landslides volcano eruptions and frost are purely Populist propaganda. Furthermore I think the part to the Laws of the Twelve Tables that one must give right of way over private land if the road is in disrepair is complete nonsense and shouldnt have been included, I mean everyone knows Roman Roads are not only the only roads but also the best, and indestructible. Also everyone knows that the curatores viarum where just people climbing the ladder occupying a job where no actual work has to be done. Honestly a quick glance at Wikipedia shows that Roman roads where frequently maintained and whole offices and laws associated with that existed.

Alternatively you could just state that they won't require maintenance due which ever gameplay reason you wish, instead of making thins up.

Caesar being Caesar borrowed money to renovate the road and transform a relatively minor function into a display of his ambition

All roads did lead to Rome...

Nope roman roads function purely on passive aggressiveness, thinks like floods, earthquakes, landslides volcano eruptions and frost are purely Populist propaganda. Furthermore I think the part to the Laws of the Twelve Tables that one must give right of way over private land if the road is in disrepair is complete nonsense and shouldnt have been included, I mean everyone knows Roman Roads are not only the only roads but also the best, and indestructible. Also everyone knows that the curatores viarum where just people climbing the ladder occupying a job where no actual work has to be done. Honestly a quick glance at Wikipedia shows that Roman roads where frequently maintained and whole offices and laws associated with that existed.

Alternatively you could just state that they won't require maintenance due which ever gameplay reason you wish, instead of making thins up.

I think someone's joke detectors are malfunctioning...

Thirdly, each nation will have a civilization level, which depends on their type of government and technology levels. Each city will slowly increase to that cap, or decay if above it. So civilizing barbarian frontiers is a long-term process.

What are the factor that impact the growth speed ?
Is it a fixed value of +X% per month or is this linked to trade routes, neighbours and such ?
In other word, if Rome manage to magically get a province in Great Britain, would it grow as quickly as if it was next to Rome ?

Bye bye rebels, you won't be missed.

7CYktU3.gif