Imperator - Development Diary #16 - 10th of September 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unrest no longer impacts a risk of a rebel unit spawning. Infact, there is no such thing s a rebel unit in Imperator. Unrest instead impact the loyalty of the province, which in the end may cause a Civil War or an Independence War.

What about loyalty of the governor - is it a different thing from province loyalty? Becouse the fact that some greeks are rebellious shouldn't result in roman governor losing loyalty and wanting independence. On a contrary - the more unruly his subjects are the more he should be dependant on Rome.

What about slaves uprisings?

When the army reaches the next city, a permanent road is created, giving a movement speed boost of 50% between those two cities.
Will it be possible to destroy roads in enemy lands?

This will make large rebellions more interesting, and remove the disbalance where Rebel units always have larger numbers than real armies in our other games.
I love this

Hello everyone and welcome to the 16th development diary for Imperator! This time we’ll look at a few smaller things.

First of all, we have the road building ability, which is unlocked in the Latin Military Traditions, by the 4th tradition in the Roman path.

Any army with that tradition and at least 5 cohorts will be able to start building a road towards another city. The movement will be delayed to 20% of normal speed, and the morale is severely reduced as well. When the army reaches the next city, a permanent road is created, giving a movement speed boost of 50% between those two cities.

View attachment 403093
All road are drawn on the map, adding bridges as they cross rivers.

View attachment 403094
Secondly, how unrest works have completely changed from Rome1. Unrest no longer impacts a risk of a rebel unit spawning. Infact, there is no such thing s a rebel unit in Imperator. Unrest instead impact the loyalty of the province, which in the end may cause a Civil War or an Independence War.

View attachment 403096
This will make large rebellions more interesting, and remove the disbalance where Rebel units always have larger numbers than real armies in our other games.

Thirdly, each nation will have a civilization level, which depends on their type of government and technology levels. Each city will slowly increase to that cap, or decay if above it. So civilizing barbarian frontiers is a long-term process.
View attachment 403095

Next week we’ll go deeply into the characters!
Damn, this game looks so beautiful.

One question though, in that civilization value tooltip you can see the effects and the cap, but where can you see the current value and the monthly increase/decrease?

I like how you are are limiting the ability to build roads to only the "developecd countries". Makes the difference in technology and resoirces feel more real. Not like in HOI4 where Bhutan can industrialise overnight.

Short but sweet dev diary, two aspects of the game of which I'm looking forward to. :)

I have to point out though that the Romans did indeed repair their roads. If they didn't, carts and their cargo and the like could suffer major damage due to potholes, not to mention tripping up sandal-wearing Roman Legionaries as they march in formation. There's even earthquakes, storms and flooding which are normal in Italy, causing havoc to Roman roads. So a maintenance cost could be warranted.

Last edited:
I hope there will be a cost to build the roads, and that cost will be dependant on the terrain type, so that roads make sense, and we don’t get autobahns crisscrossing the Alps, or an interstate connecting Alexandria and Babylon through the Arabian deserts.

Gating off road-building to anyone who isn't Latin seems like a very questionable design decision and I'm looking forward to clarification that that isn't the case.

Im pretty sure that is the case:

First of all, we have the road building ability, which is unlocked in the Latin Military Traditions, by the 4th tradition in the Roman path.

Any army with that tradition and at least 5 cohorts will be able to start building a road towards another city. The movement will be delayed to 20% of normal speed, and the morale is severely reduced as well. When the army reaches the next city, a permanent road is created, giving a movement speed boost of 50% between those two cities.

This line:
Any army with that tradition and at least 5 cohorts will be able to start building a road towards another city.

You must have that tradition Before you can build roads and the only way to get it is from the latin traditions.​

Some are intrigued by the fact that only Roman armies can build roads. Personally, I find it pretty realistic. The Roman legions were not only great soldiers, they were also logistics experts.
To compare, on HoI4, Germany has a significant advance in tanks and it's a problem for anyone. Why ? Because everyone knows, that historically speaking, it was the case.
I just hope it will be as fun to play the barbarians and non-latin culture (and they have their own "advantages" ) as the Romans.

Some are intrigued by the fact that only Roman armies can build roads. Personally, I find it pretty realistic. The Roman legions were not only great soldiers, they were also logistics experts.
To compare, on HoI4, Germany has a significant advance in tanks and it's a problem for anyone. Why? Because everyone knows, that historically speaking, it was the case.
I just hope it will be as fun to play the barbarians and non-latin culture (and they have their own "advantages" ) as the Romans.

They may have improved the building of roads, but they sure weren't the only ones to build them. The celts had roads, the Persians had roads for a long time (the Royal Road was already old when Darius I improved and revamped it and gave it that name).

Were other people's roads as huge and strong and impressive as the Roman ones? Sure, not. But they did exist.