Stellaris to be First Ever Grand Strategy Game to Land on Consoles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What you would rather we did? Jump on the same bandwagon that every other developer currently is chasing?

We believe our unique flavor of strategy games can work on console, we believe there is an audience for them out there. Sure, this is a risk, but it is one worth taking.

As for time and resources, Tantalus are great at what they do and mean that a project like this doesn't take anything away from Stellaris on PC or PDS in general. In fact, we have more resources on Stellaris PC now than ever before. If this game works on console, then it can only be good for the PC version as well, as anything we do on PC can then end up on console making the game even bigger and better.

Side note, PC development isn't being impacted by this, we have no intention of dumbing down the experience for anyone. If console players can't handle the depth or complexity of the PC game, even with our awesome new UI, then their missing out, because the PC game isn't going to get less complex or deep.

This is very much our mentality towards console gaming, it's an addition to our core focus of PC. Our games will always be PC first and some of them will find a home on console and others won't.

One thing I would recommend for you regarding this console version and future PC versions / games as well is to improve the advice giving tutorial, as currently even with full instructions I felt that it didn`t really give me enough information on its own. Yes it told for example that I had opened the ship design screen and that it can be used to design ships, but it didn`t really went into too much detail on how to actually use the screen. In general Paradox is known for its quite complex and rich strategy games, but in my opinion they become even more complex for the player to learn if the tutorials are lacking.

Side note, PC development isn't being impacted by this, we have no intention of dumbing down the experience for anyone. If console players can't handle the depth or complexity of the PC game, even with our awesome new UI, then their missing out, because the PC game isn't going to get less complex or deep.

This is very much our mentality towards console gaming, it's an addition to our core focus of PC. Our games will always be PC first and some of them will find a home on console and others won't.

Thank you for clarifying this, it means a whole lot. You said it as a "side note" but I suspect thats most of the reason for the dislikes and cynical reception on the forums. As long as Stellaris isnt going to be balanced (or "UI tweaked") around consoles, I wish the console department all the luck on Earth and Alpha Centauri IIa.

Releasing a console version of a GSG is going to be one hotly discussed decision.

I can't help but think that the game will be nigh unplayable, especially with tile system still in place (before 2.2). As I can't think of one advantage playing on a pad would bring compared to the conventional approach.

I would welcome to be proven wrong.

Not that it could ever convince me to discard mouse and keyboard. For virtually any game I play for that matter.

The game as it exists on the PC would be nigh-unplayable if it were converted to the console verbatim with no actual changes to the UI in the slightest. We've worked with Tantalus to make these changes. Not just in control scheme, but rather a complete reworking of the way you control the game. This was, of course, needed.

Strikes me it would make far more sense to start with 2.0 but good luck regardless.

This is something that was started some time back to try and bring a grand strategy game - Stellaris being one that lends itself very well to a console port - to consoles. So development was started and rather than continually playing catch-up to the current version of the game that was being simultaneously developed, the focus was to get the core experience working - and working well - on console rather than have development constantly chasing moving milestones and goals. Better to get the base right and build up from there.

The big, ambitious thing is obviously bring both versions to some sort of parity, but we'll see how that goes as time progresses. I can't make promises on that side of things.

One thing to bear in mind, though: us bringing the game to consoles isn't affecting PC development as @Dnote says. If you're already playing and highly invested in the PC version and that's the one you want to stick with, then you've already chosen. Releasing to consoles is aimed at bringing grand strategies (a genre we all love) to a new audience who have been unable or have not considered trying it before. It's bringing it to people who perhaps don't have a gaming PC, or just generally prefer console gaming. Ultimately, it's about sharing the games we love with as many people as possible. That's never a bad thing, in my opinion.

The 1.7 version I don't understand, but except for that, seems like at least an interesting experiment/challenge, if this really works out well, maybe that would finaly be a reason for me to also go into console gaming.

Good luck for the developers!

Basically, with a project like this, where you have an external team working on someone else's code, you need a starting point, for us that was 1.7. Changing that starting point halfway through would've massively derailed things.

What you would rather we did? Jump on the same bandwagon that every other developer currently is chasing?

We believe our unique flavor of strategy games can work on console, we believe there is an audience for them out there. Sure, this is a risk, but it is one worth taking.

As for time and resources, Tantalus are great at what they do and mean that a project like this doesn't take anything away from Stellaris on PC or PDS in general. In fact, we have more resources on Stellaris PC now than ever before. If this game works on console, then it can only be good for the PC version as well, as anything we do on PC can then end up on console making the game even bigger and better.

I think our concern were geared more toward the drastic change going from 3 FTL type to a single FTL and all corresponding change that came with 2.0 was not as well received. By that I meant Stellaris overall review rate on Steam went from 91% down to 76% overall with 62% recent overall rate.

If you are not going to be upfront about dropping 3 FTL mode the console crowd might just avoid it like the plague. Just saying.

well, I for one am happy about this. [strike]I think its a terrible idea to start with version 1.7 since you'll have to deal with the whole 2.0 "crisis" all over again, but if this means we'll get controller support, I'm glad[/strike]. (see edit)

Before people yell at me for "y u no play with M+K" the answer is that I have tendinitis in my right wrist and forearm, and carpel tunnel in both wrists. That's why it is literally painful to play K+M. Not only that, but I spend most of my day sitting in front of a computer typing. Being able to play games standing up, is wonderful.

I do own a Steam Controller, which works well enough, but a proper controller UI would be lovely.

edit:
Basically, with a project like this, where you have an external team working on someone else's code, you need a starting point, for us that was 1.7. Changing that starting point halfway through would've massively derailed things.
Ah. Thanks for letting us know. That makes sense.

One thing I would recommend for you regarding this console version and future PC versions / games as well is to improve the advice giving tutorial, as currently even with full instructions I felt that it didn`t really give me enough information on its own. Yes it told for example that I had opened the ship design screen and that it can be used to design ships, but it didn`t really went into too much detail on how to actually use the screen. In general Paradox is known for its quite complex and rich strategy games, but in my opinion they become even more complex for the player to learn if the tutorials are lacking.

I was a little surprised when Tantalus told us that the tutorial tips are triggered after you do something, rather than before you do it... we still have a lot to learn about tutorials and making it easier to understand what the game is doing and what you, as a player, are supposed to be doing. Accessibility, as we call it, is probably the major development area we are focused on improving as a company, just last week we commissioned our User Research team to do a massive study in this area in hopes of making future PDS games easier to pick up and get into, without reducing their complexity.

I think our concern were geared more toward the drastic change going from 3 FTL type to a single FTL and all corresponding change that came with 2.0 was not as well received. By that I meant Stellaris overall review rate on Steam went from 91% down to 76% overall with 62% recent overall rate.

If you are not going to be upfront about dropping 3 FTL mode the console crowd might just avoid it like the plague. Just saying.

I don't know what our official line of communication is regarding this, but we thought of this and acted accordingly. Marketing can clarify if they want.

I am absolutely thrilled to see this. I will be getting the deluxe edition on Xbox even though I have the game on PC. You know, just in case one or the other breaks down. <wink>

SUATMM

You've got Stellaris getting a console version, EU4 and HOI4 continuing strong, and here I am wondering when Holy Fury is going to get a release date after it's first dev diary at the end of January this year.

You've got Stellaris getting a console version, EU4 and HOI4 continuing strong, and here I am wondering when Holy Fury is going to get a release date after it's first dev diary at the end of January this year.

I believe you've taken a wrong turn... this section of the forum is for shiny new games only :D

Yeeeaaaah, but right at this moment, I can't help but wish your attempt on going on consoles is met with utter failure. If there is a market on consoles bigger than on PC for your games, your focus will inevitably shift away from the PC, which is personnaly my main playing gear. Even if you are not dedicating a significant amount of work on it, even if you are not altering the gameplay in any way at the moment, as long as there is a market on consoles or that you hope to gain one, there is a risk that this could change.

That's only my opinion, and and I'm not trying to hide that it's a selfish vision which is detrimental to console players, but hey, I don't feel there is a point to try to bring any strategy game to the console market, without just simply creating a less rewarding experience. A bit like forcing people to play Street Fighter V with a keyboard, if you see my point. Sure, it's possible (and with less rework than what is needed to port a strategy game to consoles), but it's just a waste, and I'd loathe a fighting game optimized for keyboard play (Brawlhalla is one and it's... not that great).

Edit : typos

Last edited:
Yeeeaaaah, but right at this moment, I can't help but wish your attempt on going on consoles is met with utter failure. If there is a market on consoles bigger than on PC for your games, your focus will inevitably shift away from the PC, which is personnaly my main playing gear. Even if you are not dedicating a significant amount of work on it, even if you are not altering the gameplay in any way at the moment, as long as there is a market on consoles or that you hope to gain one, there is a risk that this could change.

That's only my opinion, and and I'm not trying to hide that it's a selfish vision which is detrimental to console players, but hey, I don't feel there is a point to try to bring any strategy game to the console market, without just simply creating a less rewarding experience. A bit like forcing people to play Street Fighter V with a keyboard, if you see my point. Sure, it's possible (and with less rework than what is needed to port a strategy game to consoles), but it's just a waste, and I'd loathe a fighting game optimized for keyboard play (Brwlhallais one and it's... that great).

Valid concern.. but.. I control the strategy games part of the portfolio and I'm a PC player. ;)

That's only my opinion, and and I'm not trying to hide that it's a selfish vision which is detrimental to console players, but hey, I don't feel there is a point to try to bring any strategy game to the console market, without just simply creating a less rewarding experience. A bit like forcing people to play Street Fighter V with a keyboard, if you see my point. Sure, it's possible (and with less rework than what is needed to port a strategy game to consoles), but it's just a waste, and I'd loathe a fighting game optimized for keyboard play (Brwlhallais one and it's... that great).

SteamWorld Heist and Skulls of the Shogun are rather decent controller supported strategy games. Especially SteamWorld Heist really caught me after playing it a while. They are relatively simple for strategy games, but their game design is rather good and compact. Same cannot be said about many mouse+keyboard strategy games which burden player with seemingly cool but unneeded details and micromanagement.

Even though the console development works in my favor, I also agree with this point. It definitely is a valid concern, though I'm pretty sure the type of person who plays this kind of game is more likely to want to play on PC, which should mollify the impact of the console having a larger audience which might be targeted.

SteamWorld Heist and Skulls of the Shogun are rather decent controller supported strategy games. Especially SteamWorld Heist really caught me after playing it a while. They are relatively simple for strategy games, but their game design is rather good and compact. Same cannot be said about many mouse+keyboard strategy games which burden player with seemingly cool but unneeded details and micromanagement.
They are also turn based. There are plenty of decent TB strategy games that play well with a controller. The issue is RTS, which I have yet to be able to play with even a Steam Controller.

I can't even imagine how this will work with a controller without being unplayably clunky.

This reminds me of battle for middle earth's console version.

I think there probably is a way to make grandstrat work on console but it sounds like a nightmare reworking a pc grand strat game onto the platform.

And the tiny text on TV's! And the late game performance!

Well all I can say is good luck.

They are also turn based. There are plenty of decent TB strategy games that play well with a controller. The issue is RTS, which I have yet to be able to play with even a Steam Controller.

Ouch, you got me there! On the other hand, Stellaris is pauseable, which would save a bit, except in multiplayer.

I can't even imagine how this will work with a controller without being unplayably clunky.

This reminds me of battle for middle earth's console version.

I think there probably is a way to make grandstrat work on console but it sounds like a nightmare reworking a pc grand strat game onto the platform.
This is also my biggest concern. Since it's grand strategy rather than tactical, you have to deal with more details, and respond to multiple simultaneous events. It pains me to think about current planet management with controller. Same goes for fleets.

I believe you've taken a wrong turn... this section of the forum is for shiny new games only :D

58hXXds.jpg