Age of Wonders: Planetfall – Dev Diary #1: Welcome and Premise

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for any daily update! You're doing an excellent job...and my hype is so high!! Hope you'll add kind of "Space Goblins"...in any AoW (all the 3 I've played) Goblins were definitively my preferred race EVER

I've recently dug out and played some AoW 3 and now I'm kinda undecided about this.

On one hand, the nostalgic turn-based gameplay felt familiar and comfortable. It wasn't tough to figure out how to be decently successful playing the AI, and there's good fun in bringing together a strong army with badass heroes.

But at the same time I felt it was a bit dated in some aspects. A bit one-dimensional and static, with some quirks to the system that sometimes caused odd situations.

So on one hand I hope this'll be more of the same and I'm looking forward to that. But on the other hand it'd also like some hard-to-define changes in how stuff works and hopefully that'll make this one more interesting than "it's the same, but in space".

For all those dissapointed it does not involve magic, look at it this way, sci-fi is like fantasy in space, where advanced tech is like magic.

As for the unit name, screaming eagles seems very appropriate, i cant think of anything better.
Unfortunately for me, throwing a grenade is not nearly as satisfying as casting a fireball, even if the end result is the same 6-18 area damage. I require some level of fantasy in my games even sci-fi games. Call it psionics, nanotechnology, 'the Force' or whatever you want, just don't make it all about shotguns, machine guns and bazookas .

I require some level of fantasy in my games even sci-fi games. Call it psionics, nanotechnology, 'the Force' or whatever you want, just don't make it all about shotguns, machine guns and bazookas .

Then you're in luck: there will be (playable) races that have access to psychic abilities :)

this is so cool.. I still remember buying AoW1 with my 'pocket money' back in 99ish.. the adventures continue!!

Thank you, Triumph Studios. I’ve been loving everything you do since AOW 1. I’m sure this new installment will be awesome.

I would call them ‘Manticores’. They shoot darts from above, just like the tail of the mythological beast.

So it looks like Resistance is replaced by Shields(?), question is, are there some skills which affect mind and if so how unit is trying to resist such effects, somehow I can't imagine shields blocking a mind attack. ;)

This looks tremendous. Definitely seeing lots of mechanical carryovers from the AoW 3 unit cards and systems but it actually looks like it's been enriched (which is saying something given the depth of those systems). I love those mod-item slots - perfect for Sci-Fi!

I definitely want to figure out what those resources up at the top of the screen are too. Another thread was suggesting that there might be limitations on Tier 4 units, which would be a welcome change.

I like how a simple Tier 1 unit already has two ranged attacks - I presume the Assault Rifle will hit up to three times like in prior games, while the Grenade will be AoE. Should make for some nice diversity!
Not to mention the assault jump. It looks very cool in opinion.

Unfortunately for me, throwing a grenade is not nearly as satisfying as casting a fireball, even if the end result is the same 6-18 area damage. I require some level of fantasy in my games even sci-fi games. Call it psionics, nanotechnology, 'the Force' or whatever you want, just don't make it all about shotguns, machine guns and bazookas .

Here's hoping for you that the science becomes indistinguishable from magic quickly ingame :)