• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellaris Dev Diary #77 - Ethics Voice Packs

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This week’s diary I’m taking charge and going to write about Voice Over’s for the (unannounced) Story Pack coming alongside the 1.8 ‘Čapek’ update! We still can’t tell you any further details about the name or release date of the Story Pack, but stay tuned for future dev diaries!

For the upcoming Story Pack we felt that we wanted to experiment with VIR, our friendly advisor, see how it would feel to have different set of VO cues depending on your Empire’s ethic. A VO Cue is a term that we use to describe a Voice Over line that triggers at a certain point in the game as for example “Hostile Fleet Detected” or “Research Complete”.

We started with a test case in-house to try it out and we concluded that it was a great experience! From then on we moved on with the process and allocated time to write unique script for each role, character description, casting, auditions and finally recording sessions. It has been personally a long and hard process but in the end I’m really pleased to finally show of 3 samples out of 10 Voice Packs!

There will be a automatic settings for the VO Packs in the game so that the VO will switch depending on what Ethic you start with in the game and also switches while you're playing if you decided with switch Ethic's in your campaign. If you're not into that you will be able to select with set of VO Cues you want to play and you will always be able to switch back to the original VO if you desire.

Now that you have heard some of the results you might ask yourself how the whole procedure works with recording VO? So I’ll describe to a certain detail how the whole process goes by. :)

First of you need to write a script and if you have talented Content Designers. and we do have in our team, there is no problem to get good a script. Once the script is complete and approved it gets handed to me and I take it to the next step: Casting!

Casting of it’s own is also a long process which takes time. With help of a Casting Director you can get in touch with several possible Voice Actors that can help you to deliver the best result out of each script. When you have picked out potential actors that you think will suit for the role, you bring them in for a audition. In an audition you let the actor read a certain part of the script which usually depict the character the most and also give the best material for the Voice Actor so that they can perform as good as possible. After all the auditions are done you pick the actor that suited the best for the role. Sometimes during auditions actors comes for a certain role to read but during the session you realize that the actor would be more fitted for another role and that happened to our Militarist! We brought her in to do a audition for another role first but while she was reading the part for the first role I heard that she might be better suited as a angry general, so I asked her to try out for the Militarist and it was a really good fit! So good that we ended up with her as the Militarist.

With all the casting/auditions done you move on to the actual recording session, get as much possible material from your actors. It is important that you’re there to act as a “director” for the actors so that you can give the instructions and guidelines so that they can give you all the right emotions and takes that you require for your character in the game.

As soon as the recordings were done I moved on to editing. There is a lot of editing when it comes to VO since it is not only about how the recording equipment sound but also the sheer amount of assets you need to go through..

VY1grVq.png

While editing you usually “zoom in” really close in the waveforms of the recordings to mess around/cutting noise such as clicks and pops. So yes, we Sound Designers tend to get really nerdy when it comes to VO editing:

aHHJbEZ.png

After you have done all the editing which is removing “clicks” and “pops”, ugly breath takes, add fade in/out, you move into adding “effects” to the VO so we can get that cool Robotic style. For each VO I gave them something else than just using the same settings as for “Default VIR”.

So in short terms that is how you record VO!

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about robots and robotic modification.

Let's just say that having some men on the internet being upset about an aggressive-sounding woman was not an unexpected development.

Jesus, you have no damn clue how to talk to your customers, do you? I'm sorry if I come across as harsh, but I have noticed a pattern that you comsistently do not take disagreement from the players well and dig in your heels far more than many of the other devs.

Suffice to say that your outright dismissal of the criticism and downright petty insistence that you are right and everyone else is wrong is, at best, intellectually lazy.

The problem is not the perceived sex of the voice, but the attitude, which does not fit what many expect from a militarized society, which, by nature, must be highly disciplined, while this voice sounds just plain theatrically nuts. Make her sound like SMAC's Santiago, as others have suggezsted, or Sarah Conner from Terminator, or Kathryn Janeway from voyager, or Susan Ivanova from B5, or Roberts Draper from The Expanse (I restricted myself to scifi examples to be sporting). All disciplined, militant, aggressive women, that convey such in their voices, without sounding like someone doing a shitty impression of a Klingon.

But you know what? Maybe the problem is with your own perceptions. Please, illiminate us as to why you assume that aggressive sounding women are indistinguishable from crazy women to your ear.

PS: Tomorrow, as a thought experiment, I'll see what my wife thinks of the voices. I'll also see what she thinks of the accusations.

Last edited:
I, for one, love the new VOs.

My favorite so far is the Egalitarian one for invading an enemy planet:
"Deploying Liberation Forces", with a very thick american accent. :p

Whats an American Accent? As a New Englander, I'm going to feel very left out if it sounds like its from Texas.

If it's not a thick Long Island accent I'm going to throw a shit fit and demand a refund.

Nah. Its gotta have a nice Kennedy ring to do it. "We choose to liberate the moon, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

hive mind,militarists,pacifist,egalitarian,authoritarian,xenophile,xenophobe,materialist,spiritualist
in the story pack we get 10 new Voice overs I could only think of 9 probable choice any idea what the last is?

Maybe the tenth one is for gestalt consciousness, differing from hive mind government. I imagine each notification a different voice; the gestalt consciousness if full of voices, all speaking inside your head.
But I wouldn't throw out the synthetic VO guess.
Another guessing is for a special civic.

Maybe the tenth one is for gestalt consciousness, differing from hive mind government. I imagine each notification a different voice; the gestalt consciousness if full of voices, all speaking inside your head.
But I wouldn't throw out the synthetic VO guess.
Another guessing is for a special civic.
Fanatic purifiers?

The problem is not the perceived sex of he voice, but the attitude, which does not fit what many expect from a militarized society, which, by nature, must be highly disciplined, while this voice sounds just plain theatrically nuts. Make her sound like SMAC's Santiago, as others have suggezsted, or Sarah Conner from Terminator, or Kathryn Janeway from voyager, or Susan Ivanova from B5, or Roberts Draper from The Expanse (I restricted myself to scifi examples to be sporting). All disciplined, militant, aggressive women, that convey such in their voices, without sounding like someone doing a shitty impression of a Klingon.

It might be wise to stop beating this into the ground, Wiz hasn't posted anything in many hours, either he's asleep or he stepped back from the situation. While I enjoy the videos, including the repeats, I don't think any of us have anything productive to say anymore.

I think this deserves a repost from Reddit:

ecmrush 20 points 13 hours ago

I swear if I am playing as a fully automated luxury gay space communist utopia (naturally having materialist as a part of it) and the bot blabbers about profits I'm sending that thing straight to Space Gulag.

I like both the Xenophobic and Hive mind voice overs. I am the only one that thinks that the xenophobic one sounds a bit like Kevin Spacey? (although I know is not him)

Like many others I don't like the militarits voice over, I don't know if it's the acting or the writing but it sounds too crazy or downright evil . In my mind I always pictured the militarist like people who love war but are level headed (like Imperial officers in Star Wars or how WWII Japanese and German officers are usually portrayed in the media ). I don't think it has anything to do about being a female voice. To put a tangible example, I would like it more if it sounded more like the renegade dialogues in mass effect when playing as a female (badass and menacing)

Last edited:
It might be wise to stop beating this into the ground, Wiz hasn't posted anything in many hours, either he's asleep or he stepped back from the situation. While I enjoy the videos, including the repeats, I don't think any of us have anything productive to say anymore.

If he's in Europe, he's likely asleep. No reason not to leave plenty for him to read when he checks his account in the morning.

This is getting ridiculous. We all like Stellaris so if you don't like the voice just don't use it. I don't like the voice either for militarist but I'm just going to use the Xenophobe one for my empire anyways. I do agree with you guys that it would have been great for Fanatic Purifiers or Honorbound Warriors but Wiz is clearly going complete SJW with this which means he can't be reasoned with its more beneficial to just ignore him than waste time and energy complaining about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.