• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellaris Dev Diary #77 - Ethics Voice Packs

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This week’s diary I’m taking charge and going to write about Voice Over’s for the (unannounced) Story Pack coming alongside the 1.8 ‘Čapek’ update! We still can’t tell you any further details about the name or release date of the Story Pack, but stay tuned for future dev diaries!

For the upcoming Story Pack we felt that we wanted to experiment with VIR, our friendly advisor, see how it would feel to have different set of VO cues depending on your Empire’s ethic. A VO Cue is a term that we use to describe a Voice Over line that triggers at a certain point in the game as for example “Hostile Fleet Detected” or “Research Complete”.

We started with a test case in-house to try it out and we concluded that it was a great experience! From then on we moved on with the process and allocated time to write unique script for each role, character description, casting, auditions and finally recording sessions. It has been personally a long and hard process but in the end I’m really pleased to finally show of 3 samples out of 10 Voice Packs!

There will be a automatic settings for the VO Packs in the game so that the VO will switch depending on what Ethic you start with in the game and also switches while you're playing if you decided with switch Ethic's in your campaign. If you're not into that you will be able to select with set of VO Cues you want to play and you will always be able to switch back to the original VO if you desire.

Now that you have heard some of the results you might ask yourself how the whole procedure works with recording VO? So I’ll describe to a certain detail how the whole process goes by. :)

First of you need to write a script and if you have talented Content Designers. and we do have in our team, there is no problem to get good a script. Once the script is complete and approved it gets handed to me and I take it to the next step: Casting!

Casting of it’s own is also a long process which takes time. With help of a Casting Director you can get in touch with several possible Voice Actors that can help you to deliver the best result out of each script. When you have picked out potential actors that you think will suit for the role, you bring them in for a audition. In an audition you let the actor read a certain part of the script which usually depict the character the most and also give the best material for the Voice Actor so that they can perform as good as possible. After all the auditions are done you pick the actor that suited the best for the role. Sometimes during auditions actors comes for a certain role to read but during the session you realize that the actor would be more fitted for another role and that happened to our Militarist! We brought her in to do a audition for another role first but while she was reading the part for the first role I heard that she might be better suited as a angry general, so I asked her to try out for the Militarist and it was a really good fit! So good that we ended up with her as the Militarist.

With all the casting/auditions done you move on to the actual recording session, get as much possible material from your actors. It is important that you’re there to act as a “director” for the actors so that you can give the instructions and guidelines so that they can give you all the right emotions and takes that you require for your character in the game.

As soon as the recordings were done I moved on to editing. There is a lot of editing when it comes to VO since it is not only about how the recording equipment sound but also the sheer amount of assets you need to go through..

VY1grVq.png

While editing you usually “zoom in” really close in the waveforms of the recordings to mess around/cutting noise such as clicks and pops. So yes, we Sound Designers tend to get really nerdy when it comes to VO editing:

aHHJbEZ.png

After you have done all the editing which is removing “clicks” and “pops”, ugly breath takes, add fade in/out, you move into adding “effects” to the VO so we can get that cool Robotic style. For each VO I gave them something else than just using the same settings as for “Default VIR”.

So in short terms that is how you record VO!

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about robots and robotic modification.

I know I will not be able to achieve a double blind study, but it would hell of closer and more telling that the percentages have thrown in our faces. I would like to have that test run in either case and either we as a fan base would get an apology or we would as individuals in the fan base send a note to to Wiz and co saying "sorry you have to deal with such sorry excuses of human beings". Either way I think it would force one party of this argument to concede their point to hard data. Observer effect might not be so strong, btw, as I think the majority of the players don't read the forum and you could collect the data without the playerbase knowing it.

I know. I was kind of making a physics joke there. I would have used Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle (my favorite) instead, but it didn't really fit. Study away! P.S. This isn't going to require needles or electrodes, is it?

Last edited:
Okay. So. after reading the thread - and venting my annoyance elsewhere first, I believe I can now make a reasonably polite statement.

Wiz.

Dude.

I'm sorry, but that is just NOT. ON.

I was not struck on the military VO myself (but I glossed over it because the hivemind was so much more exciting). And I wouldn't have freaking cared if it was voiced by a male, a female or a small furry creature from Alpha Centauri. (Because I do not not associate psuedo-Klingons - no, not even General Chang - with military. The first thing I think of is a professional armed force. That did not sound like one.) But you know what? I care far less about that than the way you, personally, Wiz, responded.

I pride myself on being an equalist, so I VERY MUCH do not appreciate you outright saying that 80-90% of the forums posters (if not you entire customer base) - which apparently includes me - are sexist.

You do NOT try to use sexism as a shield to hide behind because you - or your team - made some unpopular design decisions, especially when it is abundantly clear from the commentary that is NOT why the majority of the people posting disliked it. This is LITERALLY the same sort of response I expect to see from the crappy asset-flipping developers I see on Jim Sterling's Youtube channel on the ex-Steam Greenlight; the sort of people who dismiss anyone not giving their shoddy, barely-functional games praise by using perjurative terms for gay gentlemen (which I will not repeat here, because I am better than that).

I expect FAR better out of Paradox, especially so soon after blotting your collective copy-books in the recent past. This episode has once again left a very bad taste in my mouth and I am seriously considering if this is the way you are going to treat me as a customer, whether I should continue to be purchasing from you - at least from a project you personally, are part of.

Right. I have said my piece, so I will go away and hush; and I'm sorry everyone else (including the mods and the other PDX staff), but I really felt that I had to say something.

Ignoring your toxic and demeaning tone, I'm afraid I don't keep a track of every bit of knowledge I accumulate in my life. If you are truly open to ideas and new possibilities... and are interested, I suggest you search for such things yourself. I apologise if I came across like a university lecturer or academic journal, but I don't keep a list of references I can just hand out. If that makes my posts instantly untrue to you, then that is your decision, but I think it foolish.
You could have satisfied his request with say, mentioning the IAT, which seems to be the route this particular part of the thread is talking about.

Unfortunately however, the IAT was not designed to be a surefire predictive tool, nor is was it designed to be used outside the scope of race relations.

Yeah, I also found Wiz's statements to be gross and unprofessional. You should respond to the substance of criticism and not attack the critic, even if you know that the criticism is disingenuous.

It is merely for people to be aware that you react to things unconsciously and instinctively before processing it in the rest of your brain.
If that's "merely" what you want, then you are condescending. "Oh, you poor, stupid people that have no idea that you have emotions, and that emotions affect how you respond to things! Why did no one tell you!"

(BTW, by the time someone has taken the time to hit the "reply" button and write even a one-sentence response, they have had time to process, so...)

But, let's flip this around. You have a company that is casting a voice actress, and before doing so they sit down and talk about how people complain about female voice actresses in assertive roles, and how bad that is. So, they put a script together, get their voice actress, and put her in a booth. Now, how do you think these people--who "recognized" that they have an "unconscious bias" against assertive female voices--are going to respond to that performance? Are they going to be just as critical of it as they would a man's performance? Are they going to demand the same retakes? Give the same guidance? Choose the same samples?

Or are they going to grade on a scale because of their perceived unconscious bias?

Judging by the results, the later.

That makes your point of view, regardless of how much truth may or may not be there, worse than useless, because you produce a worse product.

And hey, let's look at another example. So, people have responded to your VOs, and they generally like them, except for the female one that they say sounds too primitive for their view of an ordered military structure. You have a choice: you can take their arguments in good faith and respond to their concerns directly, or you can say that the only reason they don't like it has to be due to unconscious bias. Which is more productive?

Can we use something like this for fanatic purifiers? (maybe fanatic spiritualist + xenophobe?)

Heretic!

(or alternatively, though I guess this would be more appropriate for Fanatic authoritarian + militarist)

Last edited:
I pride myself on being an equalist, so I VERY MUCH do not appreciate you outright saying that 80-90% of the forums posters (if not you entire customer base) - which apparently includes me - are sexist.

This is the only thing I will disagree with.... Many people seemed to have misread what Wiz wrote. His 10-20% comment wasn't about the community, it was about the criticisms on the VO, as in he predicted that a male VO would have gotten only 10 to 20% of the same negative reaction that the female VO got.

He's still wrong.... He just never laid down an actual numbers on the sexism accusation. He did put forth numbers about the amount of negative feedback for a male vs female scenario... but he's flat out wrong there as well as actual gathered statistics show that males receive far more negative feedback, abuse and harassment online than women do.

Cheers for the DD Metal King (and the VOs :cool:) and for the extra clarifications Wiz :D. Lots of wonderful immersion there, love all three voices, looking forward to giving them a run - Hive Mind the favourite of the three above :).

No idea if any of the ten sound like old BOB, but if any do, that'd be my pick :cool:. I have no idea which ethic it'd be!

What's hilarious is that they apparently sat around and convinced themselves, in advance, that there would be a misogynist backlash, so when they got a backlash based not on gender but rather on the fact that the characterization was demented, Wiz immediately concluded that this was just a smokescreen and that in fact it was 80-90% misogynistic. There are two quotes that come to mind here:

01. "When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.", and

02. "When you are the one hearing the 'dog whistle', you're the dog."
Which is really silly. Humans tend to prefer female voices by quite a margin. It's one of the reasons we use female voices for a lot of gender neutral things such as computers. Absolutely nobody would have cared if the voice was female if she actually sounded professional, disciplined and as expected from a modern and efficient military. Heck, pair it with a nice looking uniform and most people would've adored it.

People do not dislike the gender of the VA, they dislike what they went for. A screaming savage lunatic you'd expect to see with painted face in a primitive tribal setting.

I don't think he's saying that 80-90% are actively misogynistic.
Actually, that appears to be exactly the case. They are getting feedback WHY people dislike the way they went for militarists. Which has zero to do with the gender of the VA. They instantly jump to a conclusion they seem to have had long before any feedback was given that allows them to just handwave it away and ginore it.
Picture the blood knight sterotype. Whether it's in sci-fi or fantasy it's almost certainly going to be a male character, because it's associated with traditionally male stereotypes. The angry, zealous warrior is a male thing and has been since the Templars.
You mean, we associate men with being violent, savage, destroyers, zealots and otherwise rather nasty things and somehow, that is misogynistic? Okay then! Why negative stereotypes being prevelant mostly towards men is no msogynistic but I am certain you can explain!

And once again, it's entirely missing the point. People do not dislike this because female VA. They dislike it because "angry screaming zealot". When they expected a more soldier esque voice, a more crisp, more disciplined one. In the vein of Starship Troopers to Galactic Empire. Rather than screaming horde of savages.

The rest is basically just repeating sophistry that serves little purpose and says almost nothing. So not going to respond to that.

Here's the thing: No matter The validity of such criticism, if we had picked a male voice, even one that sounded far 'crazier', we would have gotten at most 10-20% of the complaining we've gotten now. I make no judgment about any individual critique but this is an observable enough fact that we literally accounted for it in our planning. That's all.
Personal bias does not ammount to "observable facts". You get negative feedback NOT because of the gender but because of the way you decided to portray militarists. The female voice actress for the more militaristic faction in Utopia during the trailer was female and most people liked it.

Humans in general PREFER female voices to male ones. It's an innate bias across the board. It's far easier to find a female voice that most people will agree on sounds pleasent than a male one. By claiming this is just people being upset about the gender, you are contradicting a hell of a lot of research and scientific findings. Not based on actual "observable facts" (i.e personal bias in viewing the forums reaction) but the expectation you admitted to having had in advance to even doing this. Which in turn was based on personal opinions and views who are self confirming.

Last edited:
In my mind I would imagine the militarist to have a more "professional" kind of tone rather than "stabstabstab" kind of vibe. The gender really has nothing to do with it. But if we are going to talk to about a kind of crazy bezerker race voice, I need to see about somehow modding this in once the voices are released...

In my mind I would imagine the militarist to have a more "professional" kind of tone rather than "stabstabstab" kind of vibe. The gender really has nothing to do with it. But if we are going to talk to about a kind of crazy bezerker race voice, I need to see about somehow modding this in once the voices are released...

DEATH TO THE TRAITORS!

I don't mind the militarist voice, but it really doesn't fit with the other types shown. All of them sounded sane, and rational, at least according to their ethos.

The militarist phrase is also a tad pedestrian. I'd mix it up and shoehorn in some Clausewitz.

That is the kind of voice that might work well for militarist or spiritualist.

Well, from the one sample we have, it wouldn't sound really out of place for the advisor to shout "Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!! Milk for the Khorne Flakes!!!" when your armies land on the planet.
Or "For the Emperor!" for that matter.

Last edited:
Humans in general PREFER female voices to male ones. It's an innate bias across the board. It's far easier to find a female voice that most people will agree on sounds pleasent than a male one. By claiming this is just people being upset about the gender, you are contradicting a hell of a lot of research and scientific findings. Not based on actual "observable facts" (i.e personal bias in viewing the forums reaction) but the expectation you admitted to having had in advance to even doing this. Which in turn was based on personal opinions and views who are self confirming.

Funny story, i've been in a few 'briefings' where basically everyone started shouting at one another, but the moment a female spoke up, people started to shut up, sit down and listen to her.

Well, from the one sample we have, it wouldn't sound really out of place for the advisor to shout "Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!! Milk for the Khorne Flakes!!!" when your armies land on the planet.
Or "For the Emperor!" for that matter.

Well, I do like corn (excuse me, Khorne) flakes. Although I prefer mine with half-and-half, not milk. Mooahaha.

hive mind,militarists,pacifist,egalitarian,authoritarian,xenophile,xenophobe,materialist,spiritualist
in the story pack we get 10 new Voice overs I could only think of 9 probable choice any idea what the last is?

Status
Not open for further replies.