• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lothaire is dragged away from the King's table; his reputation in Paris much scandalized for having so rudely breached the rules of social hierarchy and having approached, without invitation, the person of the king.

[-1 PP]

((When is a court member the King, especially when it was specified he would not approach the King due to said social rules?))

((When is a court member the King, especially when it was specified he would not approach the King due to said social rules?))
((Apologies, I misread; disregard the previous statement. It is still, however, bad manners to approach the table of the King uninvited. Make of that what you will.))

((I just want to point out, I am having him removed before he gets that far regardless of your IC, King @99KingHigh @ThaHoward ))

Banquet Hall, Palace of Tau, Reims (Marne)
During the Coronation Feast

((Joint IC with @Eid3r))

Bourbon’s bow produced the desired effect on Aunt Lidewij, who had a knack for proper politeness and that sort of thing. This certainly appeased her after the whole wine spill episode. The young Marquess replied in kind, with a small and graceful curtsey:

“No need for apologies, cher Monsieur de Bourbon. While my beloved aunt is of a more formal nature, I myself am a child of these times. Allow me to repay you in kind, and introduce myself as Amélie Constance Félicité de Conflans d’Armentières, Lady of Pisany.”

M. de Bourbon smiled in reply. The Lady of Pisany? God be praised, an eligible noblewoman. Not that he was won over solely by the title, of course. She was charming, well-spoken, beautiful, sober. But no son of Condé could be immune to the dynastic considerations. Had he declined to contemplate them, well, then his father might very well disown him.

“It is indeed a pleasure to meet someone with a modern outlook, my lady Pisany. It is so unexpected in this feudal environment. Though, please, do not hesitate to address me as Henri, should it please you.”

The young lady smiled again, acknowledging in her memory that she stood in front of one of Condé’s bastard son, rich but bastardly nonetheless, a fact that would mortify her mother to no end. She playfully answered.

“The pleasure is likewise, my dear Monsieur de Bourbon. Sadly, I believe that the good manners which were inculcated to me date from another era and forbid me to address you in such familiar style at the moment.”

She shot a glance at her aunt, who was pleased by her retenue and following the conversation with suspicion, while murdering Lécuyer with her eyes for having the impudence to talk back. How she could follow one conversation and engage in another situation at the same time always befuddled Amélie. It was like a supernatural power of old women. She continued:

“In this quite feudal environment, my dear Monsieur de Bourbon, can you explain to me how the son of the Grand Maître de France comes to grace the table of a simply Lady by his presence? Shouldn’t you be closer to the dais, or are you secretly in disgrace?”

Henri received these words without the inner hurt that would have been inflicted upon his younger self; time and age had together healed that psychic wound, though not without leaving behind quite a scar. Instead, he responded with good humor.

“My lady Pisany, I regret that the circumstances of my birth will forever render me outside the king’s blessed sphere. It is not without its compensations, however. I find the company far more enjoyable here in the outer reaches of the darkness, for instance. Oh, and I’m told that I’ve inherited my mother’s pleasant singing, though I rarely have time to exercise myself as she did. Together, these are more than sufficient to make up for residing at the distant edges of His Majesty’s grace.”

She shot him a playful glance before turning back to the soldier who had inadvertently spilled his wine on her gown. She followed with some amusement the exchange between the two men, who were indeed jousting for her attention, a point not lost on her. While clearly, Bourbon was trying to hush the soldier away, she answered with some guile:

“The good soldier is married? What a delightful turn of situation. I shall certainly hope, if you ever visit the Capital, to make the acquaintance of your wife. After all, being completely new in Paris, I must admit that my social circle is quite limited at the moment.”

As Lécuyer answered and evoked the siege of San Sebastian, a sudden voile d’ombre covered the eyes of the young lady for a brief moment.

“I wish you a most delightful evening, my dear Monsieur. Hopefully, it will be the time of your life!” She winked as he left, turning back her attention on the scion of Condé.

On his part, Henri shook his head ruefully as Lécuyer made his way towards the royal table. He could shout an interjection, could save the man from himself, but yet… no. After all, had not Lécuyer mounted the very walls of San Sebastian? Had he not done so in the name of the King? Surely he could surmount… ah, no, perhaps not the king’s bodyguard. Sober and dedicated men, as he had learned in his time in the Ministry. Not even martial valor could save the man from that kind of well-oiled professionalism.

Rather than contemplate Lécuyer’s fate any further -- if he had to intervene on the man’s behalf in the event of civil charges, he could do so later -- he regarded the shadowed face of his dinner companion with concern.

“I do apologize on his behalf, my lady. He is quite drunk and also prone to, well, as you see.”

The young Marquess smiled anew, chasing away the cloudy memories evoked by the Siege of San Sebastian, before answering to the quite dashing Monsieur de Bourbon:

“It is nothing to be worried about, really. Stories of war do not agree with my frail nature, I must admit. I must be too much of a humanist, it appears.”

M. de Bourbon inclined his head in response.

“I myself have no appetite for such stories. My own experiences in Spain were at a much greater remove, and then only for a brief time. Perhaps we can move to happier topics, then?”

s3_l.JPG

La Mouton du Chevalier

La Mouton du Cavalier is the fourth novel written by Henri-Maurice de St. Germain. It is the first one written purely as a parable, although it is written in what Henri-Maurice dislikingly hears is called as "St. Germain romanticism".

The book represents much of St. Germain's feelings during his time as a Deputy in the Chamber, and is seen as a bit of an autobiography, although one written around the subject of Henri-Maurice himself. The characters are a trio of animals and the titular Chevalier, the simplest cast thus far, a noted effort of St. Germain to focus his work from his grandiose past (also more to expand on the created characters within the book).

The Sheep represents Henri-Maurice himself, the sheep in the paddock of horses, the commoner in the Chamber of nobles and rich. The Bay represents the Doctinaires, a well meaning if oblivious beast who often fights with the Stallion but too indecisive to truly take the leadership from him. The Stallion represents the Ultraroyalistes, a brave and mighty animal, but hauty and unable to connect or understand the Sheep. The Shetland are the Liberals, small, petty, and vindictive. Lastly is the Chevalier himself, the King, the present guide and benefactor of the paddock.

The story begins with Sheep being among his initial flock, teemless masses of quiet and calm fellows. However the Sheep has exceptionally lustrious horns, a matter untoward to the flock (including the Sheep), but found exceptional by the Stallion. During a session of cleaning by the Chevalier of the Stallion, the Stallion makes it known in its own way that it wants the Sheep, surprising the Chevalier. The Chevalier, himself enjoying the horns graced by the Sheep, buys him and takes him from his flock, and sitting him in the Chevalier's personal paddock.

This shocks the Sheep, who only wished to be with his flock, but willingly follows the Chevalier. But within the paddock, much discord follows. The Shetland, although preaching the commonality of animals, altogether ignores the Sheep and indeed denigrates it as a 'wrong looking animal'. The Bay altogether ignores the Sheep, seeing it as beneath notice. The Stallion, although initially a gracious host, is soon shown to utterly be ignorant as to the Sheep itself, instead using the lure of it's horns to gain more favours for itself and all in all uses the Sheep as a tool to advance itself.

Throughout the Sheep's stay, the animals debate endlessly on topics beyond the understanding of the Sheep. To represent this, Henri-Maurice writes in a whimsical sing-song non-language in order to portray this. A famous passage of the book is as follows:

The Sheep looked aghast as the Stallion, his words pouring out like a flood water from the field, a broken dike of an unknown fluid seeping under the Sheep's skin. "Ipsie dipse dela whipse says I. Or por la door in the floor far off and away for the day. Indeed in door in bor-books and gad-snooks." The Stallion winnied loudly, convinced it won the debate with a most potent mix of facts.

This intelligibility representing Henri-Maurice's complete loss over the debates within the chambers.

The book ends open endedly, as the Chevalier passes on after a prolonged sickness, and his brother takes over, becoming himself the Chevalier. With the change, everything remains the same, as the Sheep, to the background of tepid debate, stares longingly at the fields beyond the paddock.

La Publications de la Maison d'Herbes produced the book shortly after the coronation of Charles X, and the first edition is dedicated to the new King of France.

Last edited:

oVcZyCv.png

To M. Alexandre Cazal ((PRIVATE - @DensleyBlair))

My dear brother,

I hope that you found the coronation festivities to your liking, or at the very least not too alienating. I myself had a spectacular time, though I cannot know if it will bear fruit just yet. More to come later, hopefully.

In any event, I must ask of you a personal favor, which you are entirely free to decline should you so desire. I would not seek to impose.

I have enclosed a first-edition copy of your Apories. Would you indulge me and sign the work? It is not for me, but rather for a lady, actually. If you would address it to Amélie Constance d’Armentière, the Lady of Pisany, I would be in your debt. I shall have my man return to retrieve the work as soon as you have decided.

I hope that this letter finds you well and in good spirits. Do let me know if there is anything that you require on my part.

Your fraternal brother,
Henri

There were invitations you could refuse and ones you can't, this was one of the latter. A quick letter was penned.

Dear Mademoiselle Marquess,

I would most certainly be honoured to accept your request.

Your servant,

Henri-Maurice de St. Germain

Au banquet

Henri could do much, but try as he might he was no thaumaturge. Cazal had been seated very much out the way, somewhere near the middle of a table by the door of the main banqueting hall. He had drunk little—or rather, he hadn't overdone what was polite. Considering he would be writing about the meal for M. Constant, it would be helpful if he could recall it from a position of relative sobriety. Besides which, he did not subscribe wholeheartedly to the view that a new Bourbon monarch was cause for such bacchanalian levels of consumption.

Anyway, Monsieur had come good in one way: the company was not all bad. Cazal had spoken to few titled heads, but he had been recognised by a few minor members of the Parisian elite. And the ancient Burgundian who claimed to have known Cazal's grandfather … well, that had been a shock. Cazal himself had never met his grandfather. Not his French grandfather, anyway. For a minute, he'd entertained the idea that the old gentleman had perhaps been in Saint Domingue before the Revolution … but then Cazal hadn't called himself Miot since he was ten years old. No, it was impossible. He evidently meant de Bissy, and good for him for having known the man. What was he like? Cazal had asked, somewhat wrong-footing the Burgundian. Alas, I never knew him … no, he died before my father brought me back to France. Ah yes, of course, had been the gauche reply. Cazal had smiled sympathetically as his conversational partner sidled away.

There had been one girl he had noticed eyeing him rather intently. Nothing sexual, he presumed. He flattered himself with the idea that she had recognised him as M. Cazal, rather than the unfortunate alternative: that she was ogling the colonial. Come to think of it … is that her? … yes, it is … and she's with … yes, that is Henri, isn't it? Well, good on him. God knows Monsieur cannot possibly spend all of his time devoted to his more … ineffable pursuits.

Cazal, meanwhile: his evening looked like it would remain rather less mortal. He had declined to wear his old uniform. No one would've wanted to see him parading around under the pretension that he was a Napoleonic war hero, however fetching the hat may have been. No, he was there as Monsieur Cazal, homme de lettres, not comme chef d'escadron. Ah, for the days when that uniform still fit. Ah, for the days when he could take a girl to the opera as an officer in the Grand Army and still find himself—

‘Monsieur Cazal?’

Hearing his name articulated by foreign lips snapped him back to the banquet hall.

‘Excuse me, I was … elsewhere. How might I be of service, Madame?’

Cazal turned in his seat to face his new companion. Stood over him was a woman, possibly in her mid-thirties, dressed well without being extravagant. He suspected he was not addressing nobility—who would've made the journey from the other side of the hall just to meet him at his table? A bourgeois, then. The wife of a deputy, perhaps?

‘You are so often elsewhere, Monsieur Cazal.’ She paused to laugh at her bon mot— ‘It really is quite a chore trying to track you down.’ Cazal smiled, but the woman continued before he could offer a retort of his own. ‘Forgive me, Monsieur. My name is Virginie Ancelot and I host a salon on the rue de Seine…’

‘I have heard of your salon, Madame. I hear it attracts some very interesting people.’

Virginie made a gracious gesture. ‘Monsieur is too kind, when he himself is far from lacking when it comes to interest.’ Cazal smiled, still undecided as to whether Mme. Ancelot was merely an admirer of his work or whether she had … other business.

‘You must forgive me for keeping you from your meal, Monsieur, but before I leave you I wish to extend my personal invitation to my salon. I'm convening a little soirée of literary people next Thursday. You will be able to find it at this address.’

Cazal took Mme. Ancelot's card and bid her his thanks. She performed a small curtsy, he imagined out of habit, before returning to her husband's table. Cazal's eyes followed her for a moment before he turned back in his chair. Maybe there was hope yet for the ineffable?

To M. Alexandre Cazal ((PRIVATE - @DensleyBlair))

My dear brother,

I hope that you found the coronation festivities to your liking, or at the very least not too alienating. I myself had a spectacular time, though I cannot know if it will bear fruit just yet. More to come later, hopefully.

In any event, I must ask of you a personal favor, which you are entirely free to decline should you so desire. I would not seek to impose.

I have enclosed a first-edition copy of your Apories. Would you indulge me and sign the work? It is not for me, but rather for a lady, actually. If you would address it to Amélie Constance d’Armentière, the Lady of Pisany, I would be in your debt. I shall have my man return to retrieve the work as soon as you have decided.

I hope that this letter finds you well and in good spirits. Do let me know if there is anything that you require on my part.

Your fraternal brother,
Henri

Mon très cher frère Henri,

I am glad indeed to hear that you enjoyed yourself. For my part, the festivities were not entirely without fruit. I have made some connections I remain hopeful will lead me to interesting places—although I trust these will be more, shall we say, literary than your own.

I regret that I was unable to speak to you in person at the banquet, though having caught sight of you on occasion from my own table, I imagine this may have been for the best. You will forgive a feuilletoniste from jumping to conclusions, but if your Lady of Pisany is who I believe her to be, then in this matter I am at your complete service. Consider your edition signed and dedicated. It is no trouble.

I hope this letter finds you in good health and good spirits.

Avec fraternité,

Cazal

Law on the Protection of the Church

Recognizing the recrudescence in theft and defamation of the churches throughout France, the following is put forward as a means to bring such to an end, and restore the strength, awe and respect that the Holy Roman Catholic Church so rightfully deserves;

I. Profanation of vessels containing holy objects is to be classified as a severe offense, with the action punishable by fifteen to fifty years forced labour; the length of sentence is to be decided by the courts in relation to the seriousness of the crime.

II. Profanation of vessels containing consecrated hosts is to be classified as a severe offense, with the action punishable by fifty years forced labour or death; the sentence is to be decided by the courts in relation to the seriousness of the crime.

III. Profanation of the host itself is to be classified as an extreme offense, with the action punishable by death; the courts have no ability to alter the sentence.

IV. Persons twelve and below are exempt from Articles I - III.

V. Persons between thirteen and sixteen are exempt from Articles I - III, and are afforded a maximum sentence of ten to fifteen years forced labour.

To Amélie Constance d’Armentière, Lady of Pisany ((PRIVATE - @Eid3r))

A letter arrives at Amélie's residence, along with a well-wrapped book.

My dear lady,

I had hardly expected to leave the coronation in such high spirits, having endured hours of pomp and circumstance, but making your acquaintance made worthwhile all such endurance. Having the pleasure of your company and your undivided attention was to be complete with joy. I only hope that it may not be the last, but rather the first of many, such occasions.

I recall distinctly that you expressed your admiration for M. Cazal's Apories, a sentiment which I wholeheartedly share. As it happens, the good monsieur and I are acquainted socially and correspond on occasion. I mentioned to him your appreciation of his work and prevailed upon him for a small favor, which you shall find enclosed.

I hope that this letter finds you well and in good spirits. Please carry with you my fondest regard.

Sincerely,
Henri Jules de Bourbon

Hôtel de Croy, Paris
Salon de la Marquise

Back in Paris after the coronation, the Marquess of Armentières was quickly caught in the political turmoil unleashed by the publication of the Loi Anti-Sacrilège, which polarized the public opinion quite rapidly. Sitting in her salon with several of her friends, the young noble was taking some form of interest in the whole subject, tedious as it was.

Marquess of Armentières: “But can you explain to me the difference between the profanation of a holy vessel, and the profanation of one containing consecrated hosts?”

Countess of Ligny: “Well, my dear Amélie, it is quite simple. The offense of profanation a holy vessel containing the consecrated host, this is to be said, the body of Christ, is not just an offense against the Church, but also an offense against God and our Saviour.

Marquess of Armentières: “I see, but isn’t it a little extreme to punish a person with death for such thievery, as if I recall, The Exodus sets the punishment for thievery at a fivefold repayment.”

Baroness of Saintes: “Oh Amélie! Did you really have to quote the bible again? You sound like an old and crusty Archbishop, a total bore.”

Countess of Ligny: “Justine, voyons! Do not be so harsh on the poor child, she was raised quite provincially, you know it.

The Marquess let the slight pass unrecognized, knowing deep down that the scorn of the Countess was coming from her husband indulging in the most debasing debauchery, in a not so secret manner. She smiled softly, while continuing the discussion.

Marquess of Armentière: Well, I certainly hope they will not put children to death over this.

Baroness of Saintes: “Oh no. I heard that the Duke of Sully ensured that children would not suffer harsh punishment. He his such an understanding and caring man, after all.”

Countess of Ligny: “Praise the lord for this sparkle of sanity! Anyways, who wishes to play a game of cards?

The ladies then proceeded to a game of cards, while laughing over hypothetical questions such as if an Archbishop dropped a host on the floor, should he be put to death? Even if the floor is pristine? Silly girls...

TAcxDst.png

On behalf of His Most Christian Majesty, Charles X, King of France and of Navarre, and with the advice of the Council of State, the laws hereafter listed are proposed to the Chamber of Deputies and the Chamber of Peers.

A Law Concerning "Compensation Granted to Former Owners of Land Confiscated And Sold To the Benefit of the State Under the Laws of the Emigres, the Convicted, and the Deported.”
Title I. The allocation and nature of compensation

Article I. Thirty million annuity, with a capital of one billion, are allocated to the compensatory interest payable by the State to the French whose property situated in France, or who were part of the territory of France at January 1, 1792 have been confiscated and disposed of (t) in implementation of the laws on immigrants, deported convicts by the revolutionaries. This compensation is final, and in any case, it will not be allocated any amount in excess of that which is given in this article.

Article II. In the case of land sold pursuant to the laws which ordered the search and seizure according to preliminary indication of the income of 1790, or the established income of 1790, the indemnity will be composed in an annuity inscription three per cent on the general ledger of the public debt, the capital of which will be equal to eighteen times the revenue as verified by the processes of appraisal. For the lands which were sold under the laws prior to the 12th Prairial, which prescribed only a simple estimate, the indemnity shall consist of an annuity inscription three per cent on the general ledger of the public debt, The capital of which shall be equal to the selling price reduced in cash on the auction day according to the table of depreciation of assignats, shall draw up, in accordance with the law of 5 Messidor Year 5, in the department where the property sold was situated. When the result of the liquidations has been known, the sums remaining free from the thirty million annuities determined by Article I will be used to repair the inequalities which might have resulted from the bases fixed by the present article, according to the mode to be settled by law.

Article III. When, in execution of article 20 of the law of the 9th Floreal, year 3, the ascendants of emigrants will have acquired, at the price of the declared estimate, the portions of their lands Allocated to the State by the division of succession, the amount of compensation shall be equal to the real value of the sums which have been paid: accordingly, the scale of depreciation of the departments for assignats and mandates, regarding the price for other items received in payment, shall be applied to each of the sums paid on the date of payment. The indemnity will be delivered to the ascendant if there is, and in his default of presence or life, to those of his heirs who, by the family arrangements, have borne the loss. When the state receives from a male heir or other heir the instituted price from the legitimates which legitimate confiscated persons were entitled to claim in land, the amount reduced by the sum paid for the price of this portion shall be restored to those who were entitled to it or who represented them.

Article IV. Where the former owners have taken possession of the confiscated property on their heads after having acquired them directly from the State (a) or by intermediaries, compensation shall be fixed on the actual value paid to the State in accordance with the Rules laid down in Article 3. When, by the same means, they have bought them from third parties, the indemnity shall be equal to the actual values which they will have paid, without in any case exceeding that determined by Article 2. In the absence of justification, they will receive an amount equal to the actual values forming the price paid to the State. In both cases above, the descendant ancestors or wife of the former owner shall be deemed to be interposed persons.Where the heirs of the former owner shall have returned directly to the possession of the property confiscated from him, the indemnity to which they would be entitled shall be fixed in the same manner.

Article V. The three per cent annuities allocated to the indemnity shall be entered in the public debt-book, and delivered to each of the former owners, or to his representatives by fifth, and from year to year, the first fifth to be entered on the 22, 1825. The registration of each fifth shall bear the interest of the day to which it shall have been due, at any time whén the winding-up has been terminated. However, liquidations giving entitlement to enrollments of less than two hundred and fifty francs of annuity shall not be subject to the time limits prescribed above. The registration will take place in full and with pleasure from 22 June 1825.

Article VI. For the execution of the above provisions, the Minister of Finance shall be entitled to a credit of thirty million francs of the pension three per cent., To be entered, namely:

Six million, June 22, 1825:
Six million, June 22, 1826
Six million, June 22, 1827:
Six millions, on June 22, 1828,
And six millions, June 22, 1829, with enjoyment, for the registered annuities, with enjoyment, for the annuities listed, day or their registration is allowed.

TITLE II. From the admission the indemnity and its liquidation.

Article VII. The former owner will be entitled to claim the indemnity and in his default, the French who were called by law or by his will to represent him at the time of his death without being able to oppose them any incapacity resulting from revolutionary laws. Their renunciations may be opposed to them only by the heirs who, in their default, would have accepted the succession. There shall be no right of succession in respect of the indemnities claimed in the cases of this Article and of Article 3.

Article VIII. In order to obtain compensation, the former owners or their representatives shall provide before the prefect of the department where the land sold is situated. The Prefect shall forward the application to the Director of the Department, who shall draw up the compensation slip, in accordance with previous precedents. These shall be verified by the Committee on the Restitution of Property.

Article IX. The slip shall be communicated to the claimants, afterwards sent by the prefect to the Minister of Finance, together with the documents produced, together with his reasoned opinion, which shall relate both to the rights and qualifications of the claimants and to the waivers of the statement and the observations or Claims it would have received. The Minister of Finance shall verify, firstly, if no bonds or debts have been paid to the discharge of the dispossessed owner, secondly if he has not been accounted for in accordance with the law of December 5, 1814, Amounts from the balance of the sale of his assets: thirdly if no compensation has been paid for the sums due by him in the same way; fourth, if some of the goods sold on him do not come from commitments or other alienations of the royal estate, which would not have been maintained by the laws of the 14th Ventose an 28th April 1816, only to pay one quarter of the value of the said property: in which case one quarter of the indemnity due for the same property shall be drawn up a statement of the deductions to be made in which the sums paid for the relief of women and children, the wages of servants and other payments of the same kind made in assignat and execution of the laws of April 8th, 1792, and March, 1793. Whatever may be the total of these deductions, it may not diminish the allocation of the thirty millions of annuities fixed by Article 1.

Article X. The slip of indemnity and statement of deductions shall be forwarded by the Minister of Finance to the Committee on the Restitution of Property.

Article XI. The Committee will proceed first to the recognition of the qualities and rights of the claimants. In the event that it considers the justification irregular or insufficient, it will return them before the courts to have their position assessed, contradictorily with the king's procurer. If the claimants raise objections to their respective rights, the commission will also remit them to appeal to the courts to have the public prosecution heard on their claims. It shall be dealt with in the same way as in summary matters, unless there be any state of affairs.

Article XII. When the justification of the qualities has been recognized sufficient, or when it has been decided by the courts, the Committee will order that copies of the slips drawn up in the departments and of the prelate be given to the deductions proposed by the Minister of Finance; It shall proceed to the liquidation, having taken note of their observations.

Article XIII. When the liquidation takes place, the Committee shall give notice of its decision to the beneficiaries and forward it to the Minister of Finance, who shall cause the annuity to be registered for the amount of the indemnity paid, in the prescribed terms and time.

Article XIV. The beneficiaries may lodge an appeal against the liquidation of the Committee before the King in his capacity as the State, and within the time limits set for contentious cases. The same power is reserved for the Minister of Finance.

Title III. The Deported and the Condemned

Article XV. The foregoing provisions shall apply to property confiscated and alienated to the detriment of individuals who have been deported or convicted in a revolutionary manner. The amount of the bearer vouchers given in reimbursement to the deportees and the families of the condemned persons in accordance with the decrees of the 21 Prairial and 22 Fructidor year 3 shall be deducted from the indemnity reduced in cash at the time of the day on which the remission was made to them.

Title IV. Property for hospitals and other charitable institutions, and free of charge.

Article XVI. The former owners of the property given to the hospitals and other charitable establishments, either in replacement of their alienated property, or in payment of the sums due by the state, shall be entitled to the indemnity hereinbefore settled. This indemnity will be equal to the amount of the preliminary estimate made before the transfer.

Article XVII. In respect of property which has only been temporarily assigned to hospitals and other charitable institutions, and which, under the terms of Article 5 of the Act of December 5, 1814, must be restored when these establishments have received an increase The former owners or their representatives may request the remittance of such property, immediately upon the transfer to the holding hospice of an annuity registration three per cent, the capital of which shall be equal to the amount of the estimate Due as compensation. In respect of property finally and gratuitously granted by the State, either to other public establishments or to private persons, the indemnity due to the former owners shall be paid in accordance with Article 16 above. In the absence of an estimate of the said assets prior to the assignment of the said assets, they shall be estimated by both parties and by experts, valued at 1790.
Title V. The rights of creditors in respect of the indemnity.

Article XVIII. The objections which would be made to the issue of annuity registration by the creditors of former owners holding pre-confiscation securities not liquidated and not paid by the State, shall have effect only in respect of the capital of their claims. The former owners or their representatives shall be entitled to discharge themselves from the causes of such oppositions, by transferring to the said creditors, on the amount of the annuity liquidation, three per cent, a nominal capital equal to the debt demanded. The rank of privileges and mortgages which they had over the confiscated immovables, and the order or distribution, if any, shall be made, whatever the judge of the situation of the said property, before the court of the domicile.

Title VI. Deadlines for Admission.

Article XIX. The demands for obtaining indemnities must be made, on pain of forfeiture, within the following periods, namely, within a year, by the inhabitants of the kingdom: In eighteen months by those who are in the other States in Europe: In two years, by those who are outside of europe. These periods run from the date of promulgation of this law.

Article XX. There shall be opened in each prefecture a special register in which shall be recorded, at their date, the claims which shall have been addressed to the Prefect, and the result of each of the liquidations, completed. Regularly certified extracts from this register will be issued to all persons who have interest in claiming it.

Title VII. General Provisions.

Article XXI. In the fiscal year to which these projects relate, annual accounts of all liquidations made in accordance with the provisions of this Act shall be distributed to the Chambers, together with the bill of accounts.

Article XXII. For five years from the date of promulgation of this law, all acts of conveyance of property confiscated on the emigre, the deportees and the convicted revolutionists, and passed between the present owner of the said property and the former owner or his Heirs, shall be registered for a fixed fee of three francs.

Article XXIII. The foreign person or person of foreign nationality can not be opposed in relation to the renunciation of the present law, to widowed or descendant French women of emigrants, deportees or convicted persons who have married foreigners before April 1st 1814, nor to their children born of fathers having enjoyed the quality of being French.

Article XXIV. Article 1 of the Law of 5 December 1814 shall continue to be in full effect. Consequently, none of the provisions of this Law shall in any case prejudice the rights acquired before the publication of the Constitutional Charter and maintained by the said article, either to the state or to third parties or to give rise to any recourse against them.

--

A summation of the law from the GM's mediocre French translation - feel free to send me translated passaged if you wish if you think you can make it clearer [https://books.google.nl/booksid=xUg...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false pages 83ish-102ish]

Ever since the consolidation of the public debt under the Directory, it was represented by a hundred-bond franc at five per cent interest. But in 1824 the quotation of these bonds rose to par and above par; and investors were thus eager to pay more then 100 francs for an annual dividend of five francs. The real money return was less then 5 percent. The state therefore offered an alternative; they would either agree to the repurchase of their bonds at a hundred francs, or if they wanted to continue to hold the bonds, they would be given three per cent bonds at a reduced quotation of seventy-five francs for a bond of a hundred francs face value or an actual dividend rate of four percent. Considering large number of these bonds in circulation, the budgetary savings on this transaction through lower interest costs would amount about 30 million francs. This saving came to just about the amount needed to pay three per cent on a billion-franc bond issue, and it would be such a bond issue which Villèle proposed to distribute to the emigres in compensation. [Political problem here; this makes the old bondholders, mainly Parisian bourgeois, pay to the emigres the debts owed them by the Revolution and the Monarchy. They may not have cared much for this, but the problem was that their annual dividends were going to be reduced one-fifth. The first bond conversion was historically defeated the year before.

Villèle thus separates the indemnity from the payment in legislation, although for game-related reasons, we shall presume that the payment will succeed if this bill does, as if it does not, the government will have to find more difficult means of amassing such an incredible amount. In fact, Villèle's eventual resolution was an obscenely complex series of technical measures, of optional bond conversions, amortization funds, etc. We need not dip into it. One might simply content themselves with this estimate, that the indemnity was to cost France 30,000,000 of governmental dividends at three per cent, representing bonds worth a face value of 870,000,000 francs.

Loi sur la commémoration du martyr de Sa Majesté Louis XVI et Sa Majesté Marie-Antoinette

Considering that His late Majesty Louis XVI was murdered for political and religious conviction.

Considering that the martyrdom of His Majesty Louis XVI is a fait accompli in the heart of all Frenchmen.

Considering that the barbarous murder of Her Majesty Queen Marie-Antoinette is a shameful act forever tainting the honor of France.

Considering the need for a moment of perpetual national grieving for the passing of their Majesty.

It is therefore resolved:

I. The 21st of January of each year shall henceforth be known as the Commemoration Day of the Martyrdom of their Majesties Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette.

II. That day shall be considered a national holy day.

III. The Ministry of Finances shall endow a foundation with sufficient capital to organize yearly celebrations of commemoration in Paris.

IV. The Departmental authorities shall be vested with the responsibility of organizing celebrations in their department.

Law on the Standardization of Succession
I. In all instances of non-specified succession, excluding those occurring within Bas-Rhin, Haut-Rhin, and Moselle, the eldest son shall be the sole inheritor of the father's wealth, property, and belongings. Should no male heir exist, the estate shall be inherited by the nearest Catholic male relative of the deceased.

II. In the Departments of Bas-Rhin, Haut-Rhin, and Moselle, the estate shall be divided evenly and apportioned among all male children of the deceased.

III. In order to formally specify succession, a copy of an individual's will must be placed on record with the nearest parish or court.

Law on the Protection of the Church

Recognizing the recrudescence in theft and defamation of the churches throughout France, the following is put forward as a means to bring such to an end, and restore the strength, awe and respect that the Holy Roman Catholic Church so rightfully deserves;

I. Profanation of vessels containing holy objects is to be classified as a severe offense, with the action punishable by fifteen to fifty years forced labour; the length of sentence is to be decided by the courts in relation to the seriousness of the crime.

II. Profanation of vessels containing consecrated hosts is to be classified as a severe offense, with the action punishable by fifty years forced labour or death; the sentence is to be decided by the courts in relation to the seriousness of the crime.

III. Profanation of the host itself is to be classified as an extreme offense, with the action punishable by death; the courts have no ability to alter the sentence.

IV. Persons twelve and below are exempt from Articles I - III.

V. Persons between thirteen and sixteen are exempt from Articles I - III, and are afforded a maximum sentence of ten to fifteen years forced labour.

-
Debate open for 24 hours.

((Done on behalf of @99KingHigh))

18th-hussars-1815-copyright-nam.jpg

Un Leader d'Un

Un Leader d'Un is the fifth novel written by Henri-Maurice de St. Germain, although it would be more accurately defined as a novelette given it's short length. Written due to his well known stature in a fit of self indulgence and inspiration, it represented was written in the hopes of success allowing the writer to continue writing books on the subject of it's anti-hero, the Chevalière Anton Danton; conman, cad, coward, and creep.

The book is written on the experiences of Anton during the time following the Napoleonic War. It is intentionally left unknown which side he fought for, although the uniform of a French Hussar he often wears to (failingly) woo women bears a musketball hole where no scar exists on Anton. However he parades himself as a veteran of the war, a modern Chevalière in the romantic hopes of attaining a level of respect akin to actual nobility.

The novelette is divided into three separate acts. The First Act takes place just prior to and during the invasion of Spain. Anton, wishing to darken himself in the fashion of his fellow youthful officers, volunteers on a mission into France to scout out the rebels which raged against the Spanish King just prior to the outbreak of war. This was an attempt to get out of any real work and the chance of war over in Hispaniola. However this backfires when the Prime Minister announces that war will occur, leaving the terrified Anton to scramble to achieve safety in the face of certain doom. This would not occur, as he is all but chained to his horse and kicked towards the Pyrenees by his fed up officers within the camp.

In Spain, Anton would bounce from location to location, fleeing where he thought battles would rage only to trip onto where they were actually fight, flee to villages which housed Spanish guerrillas, and in one case took refuge in the basement of a winery owned by a couple which secretly produced gunpowder. Anton barely managed to survive the later event when, drunk, he lit some chicory 'liberated' from the owners and blew up the entire winery. When he was discovered by a roving French patrol, he was drunk, covered in soot, and unintelligible. The act concludes with Anton being somehow promoted due to his actions within the winery, which prompts the inebriated Anton to further promote himself as a self-congratulatory move. This would result in a further-further promotion, straight to a fort in northern Brittany by the thoroughly unimpressed commander.

The Second Act would take place in Brittany, where Anton, now in command of almost a hundred men in a medieval fort (well described as being essentially a manned and "armed" ruin). The sole cannon of the fort was a bronze cannon which the fort has a running pool to see how old it is, with ages ranging from 1502 to 1676. Anton, in what is established is a now typical fashion, proceeds to make a mockery of the fort, turning it into a personal fief. He has the men build the fort into a personal castle, while bombarding Paris with incessant demands as to the further requirements of this lonely fort. Anton, so far away from everything, rules as a petty tyrant for nearly a year. However his fun is ruined when a Marshal from Paris arrives, having finally grown tired of his eighty odd letters, and took stock of the fort. He was shocked to find that Anton had turned the fort into a palatial mansion, with the cannon turned upward by the men to act as a giant candlestick in which to light Anton's 'dances' (which involved Anton dancing by himself to music he offkey hummed to himself). Anton is quickly thrown in jail for these actions, and when found to be not even in the army in the first place (having conned the initial officers during a game of cards) was sent to Paris.

The Final Act takes place in Paris, with Anton escaping after the authorities accidentally execute his cell partners and forget about him. Anton, hungry and alone, manages to escape after cleverly finding that the jailor forgot to lock the door (the door being unlocked for over a week). Anton, hussar uniform in hand, flees to the wealthier part of Paris, and (following a much needed bath and squirt of stolen perfume) makes good to his skills as a conman. He talks his way into a party hosted by the King, where Anton proceeds to drink his fill. About half way through the party, the now soaken Anton proceeds, in a singularly amazing fashion, embarrass himself before the court by, in order, hitting on a married woman (who smacks him), hitting on a woman already speaking to a noble (who promptly smacks him), attempting to con a noble by the name of the comte du Hue-Josse by trying to be the same comte du Hue-Josse, then finally attempting to walk up and talk to the King. The entire party titters as the lout is dragged away and thrown into the sewer.

Although the book's hero is not so much a romantic knight as he is a total wreck, St. Germain found some inspiration from the gossip surrounding Paris by mid 1825. He hoped in writing that the masses would take to a book about a failure who always ends up in extravagant situations yet somehow comes out still standing. The book was published by the Publications de la Maison d'Herbes.

Last edited:
Letter from His Royal Highness the Prince of Condé to the Princess of Croÿ (PRIVATE - @Eid3r)
WGa2d4D.png

Your Highness,

I apologize profoundly on behalf of my son, he has indeed overstepped his bounds when he wrote to your daughter, without the permission of you a senior family member, which he should have done. I cannot express how deeply I feel your pain and I am thankful that your servant managed to intercept the letter before it was delivered.

I further thank you that you have informed me of what exact literature that my son occupies his time with, and I can assure you that I will have a stern talking with him to prevent another episode like this. Should he once again wish to correspond with a member of your family, I will ensure that he seeks the proper permissions and approvals beforehand.

If there is anything further I can do for you, to restore the honour of your family, and remedy the slight done to you and your daughter, do not hesitate to write to me, so that I may address any wrong doings or lack of redress.

Louis Henri Joseph, Prince of Condé

A letter to Henri Jules de Bourbon (PRIVATE - @etranger01)
WGa2d4D.png

My dearest son,

While I am utmost delighted that you seem to once again be on first steps on the path to manhood, then I cannot help but wonder if you as of now are taking some perverse pleasure in disgracing me and our family.

I have endured your intemperate language and abuse towards me, for the sake, tranquility and peace of your siblings. I have endured your rudeness and accepted you wish in the hopes that you may become the man who you were born to be, a proper man of the house of Condé, rather than acting like an upstart. But now you have gone too far.

That you disgrace me and all your siblings in Parisian society by writing to the Marquess of Armentières without the approval of any of her family or guardians. That you present her with a book by a low liberal writer is outright inexcusable.

I care not for your opinion in this matter, you will present yourself before the Princess of Croÿ first thing in the morning, you will excuse your behavior and insult done to her, her house and her daughter by your behavior. This is not a request, this is an order.

Your father

((Cultural update probably tommorow; as Max said, 24 hours of just debate, followed by 36-48 of voting+debate.))

The Coronation Banquet. Reims.

Having attended the necessary ceremonies, the Duc de Saint-Aignan was sitting in the middle of the banquet hall, without paying much heed to the wines and foods. He was, frankly speaking, not in much mood for partying right now. While he always enjoyed fine cusine and beautiful women - especially when he was younger - today nothing seemed to please his eye, and every sip of Burgundian wine seemed to taste like sour milk. More than anything now he wanted a cigar - but smoking at such a ceremonial dinner and in the royal presence was impossible for Saint-Aignan. Strangely enough, he has waited for this coronation for a long time, and at one point it feeled his heart with pride and joy... and yet when they have entered the banquet hall, all of it has somehow been replaced by the thoughts about the political turmoils and the worries of governance.

Listening to the silverware clinging around him, as the guests quite eagerly enjoyed the delicious dishes, the Minister of Justice austerely spooning the onion soup. At one point he glanced at his wife. Anne, in white silks, a diamond tiara crowning her magnificent hair, was chatting animatedly with her neighbour, the Princess de Poix. She were clearly enjoying herself.

After a few minutes the Duc de Saint-Aignan decided that he had enough. He would go to the antechamber and have a sevilla. Probably it would stop him thinking about the damned legislative session and allow to enjoy some hors d'oeuvres. Excusing himself, he stood up and walked toward one of the doors. Suddenly he saw a young lady whose facial features somehow seemed familiar to him. For a few moments he looked at her, frowning - and then remembered. The De Croy lass, a scion of an ancien and respectable house. However, the circumstances in which she found herself now were not so respectable. As the Minister of Justice witnessed, she was surrounded by two men in officers uniform, one of whom was clearly drunk and quite rowdy. The Duc could see the scathing impression on the face of the old matron sitting near the girl, She clearly was indignant.

Shaking his head in disapproval, Saint-Aignan walked towards the table of the girl. Such fall of morals and good manners disgusted him. He was no hypocrite and had many mistresses during his life - but all his romances was done with style and neccessary discretion. And publicly flirting with a maiden of noble birth could in many ways lead to dangerous consequences, should her family see herself as dishonored. And the House of Croy was not one to be slighted.

-"Madame." - the Duc de Saint-Aignan addressed the older woman first, ceremoniously bowing his head. Then he turned his gaze to the young lady. - "Mademoiselle. Forgive me for such a breach of good manners, but I, sadly enough, do not see your esteemed grandfather here to introduce myself. I do not say "get acquianted", since I had the honor to see you as a child, even though you probably do not remember me, due to the tender age." The Minister of Justice smiled slightly- if a bit wolfishly, as usual. "Claude de Beauvilliers, Duc de Saint-Aignan at your service. I have met your gran-pere, the Duc de Havre, both in the emigration and in the Peers." Then he glanced at the two men. Strangely enough, the both were known to him. Henri de Bourbon, ex-Minister of Interior in the Valence Cabinet - the most famoust bastard in Paris. And the other was Lothaire Lecuyer, the extreme liberal from the Chamber of Deputies, also now in much more militaristic attire. One could say that the damsel found herself in an interesting company indeed. "Gentlemen." - finally said the Duc de Saint-Aignan.

Banquet Hall, Palace of Tau, Reims (Marne)
During the Coronation Feast

The lady of Pisany and Monsieur de Bourbon were in a deeply supervised conversation, under the watchful eye of her chaperoning aunt. The episode with the drunken soldier was slowly fading to irrelevance in her memory, even though her dress was probably ruined. But at the same time, who would wear such attire again, given the very public nature of this social event? The discussion was interrupted by the arrival of the Duke of Saint-Aignan, to the relief of the old harpy, much happier to be assisted in her endeavor by a man of such prominence. When the Duke addressed her aunt first, as was proper custom, Amélie believed that the harpy would take to flight with elation. After her elder mumbled some words in response, she also stepped into the discussion:

- Good evening to you, your Grace. Indeed, I believe my dear Grandfather, his Grace the Duke of Havré, might have already retired to shed the fatigue of such a wondrous day. Given the wisdom of the years being heaped on his shoulders, I believe he understood that past a certain point, these banquet are a quite exhausting affair.

Obviously, she did not remember necessarily the occasions in which they had been acquainted, given that in the life of a little girl, these occasions are made of play, with the occasional salutation to someone her grandfather wanted to present to her, followed by more play. However, not being a total ignorant, she knew quite well who the Minister of Justice was, as he was also said to have been the Architect of was certain foul mouthed polemicist were already calling the Police State. She smiled at him, following through the discussion:

- Why but I certainly remember you visiting us in Brussels a few years back. I believe at the time you sought the counsel of my grandfather on some affairs of state. I do hope you are enjoying yourself tonight, on this wonderful occasion? Monsieur de Bourbon and I were just about to discuss our tastes in literature, a subject I am quite certain a brilliant and renowned mind such as yourself must have well-though opinions on.

She smiled innocently and glanced back at Bourbon, seemingly impervious to the maneuvers of everyone.