Invincible and Legendary - The history of the Soviet Union during the Great Patriottic War

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An invasion from every border it seems, hopefully the Afghans won't join the Axis too! :p

Dont give the damn AI ideas!

:) Sebas I'm in total agreement with you. I suppose I was only making a guess that you "prefer" like myself to not use Strat-Deploy as much as possible but there are cases where as you said, we'd be crazy not too.:) Sorry to take you off track.

Thats fine, I always enoydiscussing the finer details of this little game :)

In "Midwest American English" "Rolls-eyes" is a reaction to something someone else says <IMO> it is something close to "here we go again" when someone goes on a typical point that is not respected by the person rolling their eyes, it can also mean a more subtle negative response as "boring" or "I've heard that junk before" etc.

The Sunglasses for me anyway, represent "being word-cute" after-all sunglasses are something you can put on to look "cool." And "clever" would likely work to some degree but I think a College-cap would do a much better job.:cool:

Atm, I think the "wink" works best for Mischievous because as least the user is "up to something?". :) However, wink to me, better represents a "secondary reference" or it can even be a from of "gotcha" between friends. Of course there is no exact Science behind Smileys.;) Mischievous could be well represented by "sticks tongue out and "oops" combined. The present oops would get "a tongue and one slanted-up eyebrow above two clever-eyes." But Again, this would be in Harry S. Truman/Black-jack Pershing/Dwight Eisenhower-English. Britain and the American-Coasts speak two more forms of English. :D

Ah well that explains a bit more. Thanks for shining some light on the various forms used in the States, I had no idea of te differences apart from maybe Texas being weird^^ In that case, keep in mind that the type of English I'm used to is a combination of tv/internet Americanised English mixed with British English I've been taught in school. Though I've been told by both Americans and Brits that my English is very good I bet that must be confusing from time to time :p

In that case, keep in mind that the type of English I'm used to is a combination of tv/internet Americanised English mixed with British English I've been taught in school. Though I've been told by both Americans and Brits that my English is very good I bet that must be confusing from time to time :p

Then you are in a technically rarified-air. I've heard that of English learned and spoken around the world; people in some European country's and also the far-east, typically score better in speaking better English than people in the USA or England. I of course am an exception from the "Show-me" state.;)

Btw, I think it time for another Magnum of Barbarossa-Red. :cool:

I've been really busy again lately, hence the recent lack of updates. I felt I couldn't leave you hanging without any progress for a whole month though, so here's a shorter than useual update. No engagements on the Persian Front yet and very little action in the Caucasus and Far East, but I promise more news from the Caucasus next chapter and a bit more love for Siberia in the one after that.

Invincible and Legendary

The history of the Soviet Union during the Great Patriottic War

August 1942 part 1

Home Front and Foreign Affairs

By early August 1942, Axis forces had occupied 15% of the Soviet Union’s important cities. People’s support for the war in the Soviet Union at this point was estimated at just shy of 79%, leading to a national surrender progress of 19%. A surrender progress of 20% will enable the Great Patriottic War decision that grants 3500 manpower and unconditional surrender is forced at 100%.

Baltic Front

Last month's Soviet assault against Bulgarian positions in Mariampolè ended in victory on the 1st of August. 1250 Soviet and 2400 Bulgarian troops died and the Red Guard stormed through their defences behind the Memel, securing a bridgehead west of the river once more. At the same time however, German forces broke the right flank of the Soviet Baltic Front at Ariogala and Jurbarkas at the cost of 3000 Soviet and 1500 Axis dead. Because of this threat to the flank, the offensive across the Memel was shut down immediatly and all available forces were diverted to holding the riverbanks. But holding the east bank of the Memel would have been impossible with German armour already across further south, so the Red Army fell back. A futile attempt to slow the Germans down with a counterattack in their flank results in hundreds of Soviet casualties while the German onslaught continues.

4-8-42%20Memel%20riverline%20breaks_zpstgnosbop.png

Red Guard divisions have occupied the Bulgarian trenchlines around Mariampolé, hoping to complete the encirclement of a German division of heavy armour. Another Bulgarian counterattack is repulsed, with 300 Soviet and 1200 Bulgarian losses. The Axis attack on Kaisadorys has been called off as more Soviet infantry formations hit the German south flank. In the mean time Red Army infantry is sweeping through Lithuania, driving the Germans back towards the Prussian border once again. The lone German tank division occupying forward positions around Plunge is driven back by a Soviet infantry corps, whilst to the south a fierce battle rages in the streets of Kaunas.

The German response against Mariampolé is immediate and relentless as waves of Stuka dive bombers and 4 infantry divisions descent upon the Red Guard around the town. Under this ferocious attack the Soviet army will not be able to advance into Mérech and complete the encirclement of German heavy armour in Alytus, so the attack is called off and the divisions ordered to fall back to Kaunas. Ariogala is also abandoned again without much of a fight when German SS divisions hit the town from 2 sides. Exhausted Soviet infantry and armour fall back to link up with forces in Raisenai in order to bolster the lines there.

7-8-42%20Fall%20of%20Mariampol_zpsqlecr4ca.png

A fierce Soviet counterattack is launched on the Baltic coastline against Palanga, pitting an entire infantry corps against a single German infantry division. Outflanked and outgunned the Germans take 1400 casualties compared to 600 Soviet and are forced to fall back to Rietavas. Several Soviet attacks in Lithuania push the German army back across the border into East-Prussia once again, though German forces in Taurage and Ariogala still hold firm.

Polish Front

The Bulgarian army gathers several divisions and attacks Kamien Koszyrski in early August. Despite heavy German air support the attack soon bogs down against the heavy artillery of Soviet 9th Corps. Bulgarian regiments are decimated by heavy artillery fire as their attack is stopped in its tracks by 9th Corps infantry.

9-8-42%20Defence%20of%20Kamien%20Koszyrski_zpsok1vp6g2.png

Bulgarian forces south of Kamien Koszyrski are thrown back from their positions as the Soviet Army attempts to shorten its lines. Massed Soviet tanks from half a dozen tank divisions crush German infantry and cavalry in Swislocz, killing 2000 and closing on Brest-Litovsk once again.

Not far from 9th Corps positions a Red Army counterattack against Baranivka is repulsed by heavy German air attack on the 13th, causing 2000 casualties to 1000 German defenders. Still aiming to prevent an Axis breakthrough around Brest-Litovsk the Red Army throws the Red Guard with tank support against the flank of the Axis offensive from the city. Though the guard is able to force some German divisions back and the main German thrust is fought to a standstill in Bereza, losses are too heavy and the city will likely soon be abandoned.​

15-8-42%20Bereza%20bloodbath_zpsrlrya7ye.png

Ukranian Front

After the Hungarian offensive across the river Bug was foiled last month in the battle of Vinnytsya, the Axis shifted their attention to the northern end of the river and once again massed infantry and armour for another push towards Kyiv. Red Army infantry and armour launch a pre-emptive strike against Chudniv to disrupt these plans, inflicting losses in excess of 1500 men on a German mountaineer force in the area. However, the Soviet counterattack proved insufficient and massed German armour broke through the Khmilnyk defences and penetrated all the way to Kalynivka.

4-8-42%20Massed%20German%20armour%20breakthrough_zpspy3gvebm.png

Soviet tank divisions then regrouped south of the German spearhead and hit the German second line in Khmilnyk in an attempt to cut off the German tank division spearheading the attack. This fails when more German armour arrives and an SS division hits the Soviet north flank, forcing them to disengage from Khmilnyk. Other Soviet tank forces hold the flank around Chudniv whilst the Polish Front forces the Bulgarians back further north. Large scale dogfights erupt over Stryzhavka as German and Romanian bomber formations are attacked by Soviet fighter formations.

11-8-42%20Air%20battle_zps4jwo5ktt.png

Romanian forces launch a counterattack across the Bug but are easily repulsed at Stryzhavka. With this distraction gone the full weight of the Soviet infantry corps there is brought to bear against Khmilnyk, forcing the Germans to abandon the town on the 13th. A Romanian counterattack against the same city is forced back 2 days later, costing another 360 Soviet and 1100 Romanian lives.

Caucasus Front

Fighting in the western Caucasus during early August amounted to little more than the occasional raid by one or two Axis divisions against well-entrenched Soviet formations. One of the larger attacks came when a German infantry division attacked Uchkulan against 2 Soviet infantry and an armoured division, resulting in 75 Soviet and 500 German dead.

However, Soviet RADAR and communication interception systems in Sevastopol revealed increasing Axis troop movement in Romania and Turkey. Wether these forces are headed for the Syrian, Persian or Caucasus front, the war on the Soviet Union’s southern front is about to heat up even further.​

7-8-42%20Horde%20of%20Axis%20on%20the%20move%20to%20Turkey_zpspqc8472r.png

Having failed to make a serious impact on the Ukranian Front, the Turkish airforce has been sent back to the Caucasus Front where they attempt to bomb Soviet positions in the mountains. But with Soviet fighter aircraft on standby it doesn’t take long until the bomber formations are decimated over the mountains.

13-8%20caucasus_zpsuwbuxj63.jpg

The war on the ground continues as German armour attempts to break through in the central mountain passes, outflanking Soviet defences behind the Térek river. Several Soviet mountaineer divisions draw the enemy formations into the mountains as other forces hit the Turkish army in the flank, bringing the attack to a premature end. In response to the increasing pressure in the central sector, 3 Soviet mountaineer divisions are relocated there from the safe eastern flank.

Far Eastern Front

After months of hardly any news due to the sheer distances involved in the Far Eastern theatre of the war, the Red Army was reinforced somewhat in late-July. These forces turned and forced the Japanese back in the battle of Artemovskij on the 22nd of last month. But the Japanese would not give up easily and ordered Manchurian and Mengkukan forces to attack again and retake the vital bridgehead. The poorly planned attack quickly went south and took the shape of a Great War-era assault on the western front. with this attack bludgeoned, remaining Axis forces north of the river began to retreat as well.

3-8-42%20Defending%20Artemovskij_zpstkfjpy4s.png

Another mixed bag. The Far East is at least no longer getting worse and the Caucus seems stable, but it is clear if the Germans can gather up the strength they are more than capable of achieving devastating local superiority on the European Fronts.

If I were in Germany's war cabinet, I'd be more than a little worried with just how spread out Axis forces are getting, especially considering that the Romanian, Bulgarian, Turkish, Slovak, and Persian troops are vastly inferior to German, Japanese, and Soviet formations.

Plenty of action for "short" update! The Germans can be very hard to stop but your ability to delay and counter-punch this early in the war should have those Fascist dogs worried by now. Good to have you and your brave Russian soldiers back on the warpath :)!

Another mixed bag. The Far East is at least no longer getting worse and the Caucus seems stable, but it is clear if the Germans can gather up the strength they are more than capable of achieving devastating local superiority on the European Fronts.

Mixed bags is as good as its going to get for quite a while I think. The only reason the Far East doesn't seem to be getting worse is because of distance. The Germans are indeed still very powerful, but they are losing a lot of men in the process.

Barbarossa is a toss-up but it seems to me you are well holding your own.

The Axis still woefully outnumber me but the lines are holding so far.

If I were in Germany's war cabinet, I'd be more than a little worried with just how spread out Axis forces are getting, especially considering that the Romanian, Bulgarian, Turkish, Slovak, and Persian troops are vastly inferior to German, Japanese, and Soviet formations.

True, though at the same time this means the Red Army is spread thin, and the Axis have the numerical advantage so spreading thin should, in theory, be good for the Axis.

Plenty of action for "short" update! The Germans can be very hard to stop but your ability to delay and counter-punch this early in the war should have those Fascist dogs worried by now. Good to have you and your brave Russian soldiers back on the warpath :)!

They shall not pass!

Last edited:
Well, I have to say; the fact that you have the Axis front were it is in August/42? You are definitely a General with "Defensive-Doctrine":)

In Blitz-39, having to fight "nearly" everywhere around the globe does get a little tedious but then I can come here and refresh a bit...knowing, at least, I am not defending everywhere.

Well, I have to say; the fact that you have the Axis front were it is in August/42? You are definitely a General with "Defensive-Doctrine":)

In Blitz-39, having to fight "nearly" everywhere around the globe does get a little tedious but then I can come here and refresh a bit...knowing, at least, I am not defending everywhere.
I second those motions. I can only hope that in my current pursuit as Turkey with a prospective Soviet ally, that they do even half as well as this when crunch time comes :).

Let is not be said you made it easy for yourself. This is a very good AAR and no where as boring as mine can be.

I assume the Americans are off sleeping or eating chocolate bon-bons or inventing TV dinners....

Thank you. I have to say the constant holding the line and countering in order to keep it intact in the west is quite tedious sometimes, but it does give the feel of a grand war going on. I do hope I can get some reinforcements on the ground in the coming months and start pushing back somewhere though!

I second those motions. I can only hope that in my current pursuit as Turkey with a prospective Soviet ally, that they do even half as well as this when crunch time comes :).

Beware of the AI in that case, as long as she has 1 main front against Germany it works quite well, but the inclusion of Turkey into the war on either side often throws the Soviet AI into chaos.

Let is not be said you made it easy for yourself. This is a very good AAR and no where as boring as mine can be.

I assume the Americans are off sleeping or eating chocolate bon-bons or inventing TV dinners....

Thank you, but I disagree on your AAR. Spain was perhaps not as nailbiting or action-packed, but it was great to see you trying to impact the war with the limited resources at your disposal whilst using the AI!. I'll have to read up on your France game sometime since I somewhat lost track of that due to time constraints, but I promise you that I will someday.

The Americans are engaging the Japanese at sea, but I can't see that because of Fog of War. Their army is not nearly large enough to have a decisive impact, though I'm hoping they pull some kind of Operation Torch someday to throw the Middle-East into even more chaos. It might be just whats needed to tip the balance there.

So, i have some bad news.

As you may have noticed this AAR went a bit quiet. Thats due to a combination of not feeling like hoi for a while, work, and other reasons. But i had every intention to get back to it at some point.

But thats not going to happen.

Yeaterday my computer crashed and the only way i could get it running again was a complete system cleansweep. I just spend the whole day getting windows running again but that now works.

Unfortunatly that means all files are gone. Saves and screenshots incl, and im getting the distinct impression backups went pearshaped too. So, yes, rip SU, not as invincible as you may have been les to believe...

So, i have some bad news.

As you may have noticed this AAR went a bit quiet. Thats due to a combination of not feeling like hoi for a while, work, and other reasons. But i had every intention to get back to it at some point.

But thats not going to happen.

Yeaterday my computer crashed and the only way i could get it running again was a complete system cleansweep. I just spend the whole day getting windows running again but that now works.

Unfortunatly that means all files are gone. Saves and screenshots incl, and im getting the distinct impression backups went pearshaped too. So, yes, rip SU, not as invincible as you may have been les to believe...
Sorry to hear that sebas- it's so frustrating when that happens. :mad: If I remember to do it, I'm going to save a few 'emergency' game files to a thumb drive this evening!

If you feel like starting a new AAR project some time in the future just let us know. Until then, good luck with the rebuilding. ;)

Oh no! :eek: Dang it! That is very unfortunate. I know how it feels...earlier, I lost my Romania the same way. For Motorway I used the mem-sticks and never looked back. I'm now using them on another project and am glad I reprogramed my old Save-tactics.

Hope you didn't lose everything else RL to boot like I did.

Planning on a new one or taking a break?

Sorry to hear that sebas- it's so frustrating when that happens. :mad: If I remember to do it, I'm going to save a few 'emergency' game files to a thumb drive this evening!

If you feel like starting a new AAR project some time in the future just let us know. Until then, good luck with the rebuilding. ;)

Oh no! :eek: Dang it! That is very unfortunate. I know how it feels...earlier, I lost my Romania the same way. For Motorway I used the mem-sticks and never looked back. I'm now using them on another project and am glad I reprogramed my old Save-tactics.

Hope you didn't lose everything else RL to boot like I did.

Planning on a new one or taking a break?

Unfortunatly Marukkur, I lost everything on the harddrive, including some work related files. Nothing I cant get 95% of back by email and the like but I'm still really annoyed. Many things are backupped but not everything though I should be able to recover most of the important stuff from other people.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I needed that a bit :) Windows runs again, antivirus, browser and the like as well as Steam. The latter is now doing overtime and I think I'll queue up a bunch of games for it to chow down on overnight.

I'm not making promises now considering how much I played HOI lately (IE not). I think I bit off more than I could chew with this AAR, too much detail and I drowned in that and the sheer amount of work drained some of the fun as well to be honest. Maybe I should do a smaller country. Or an EU4 AAR. Or nothing. Not sure yet.

Unfortunatly Marukkur, I lost everything on the harddrive, including some work related files. Nothing I cant get 95% of back by email and the like but I'm still really annoyed. Many things are backupped but not everything though I should be able to recover most of the important stuff from other people.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I needed that a bit :) Windows runs again, antivirus, browser and the like as well as Steam. The latter is now doing overtime and I think I'll queue up a bunch of games for it to chow down on overnight.

I'm not making promises now considering how much I played HOI lately (IE not). I think I bit off more than I could chew with this AAR, too much detail and I drowned in that and the sheer amount of work drained some of the fun as well to be honest. Maybe I should do a smaller country. Or an EU4 AAR. Or nothing. Not sure yet.
If you wanted, you could do more of a strategic one, so just describing the action in broad sweeps rather than great detail. One of the reasons I chose Turkey for my (first) AAR was that it was a minor/regional power and there wasn't an overwhelming scope. The SU is huge!

Whatever you decide to do, let me know and I will have a look ;).

Well, I am sorely disappointed to hear that a crash destroyed the save. That happens WAY too often for my liking.

Say, if you ever do another one, might I suggest something in Victoria 2 with the Historic Project Mod?

Well, I am sorely disappointed to hear that a crash destroyed the save. That happens WAY too often for my liking.

Say, if you ever do another one, might I suggest something in Victoria 2 with the Historic Project Mod?

Yea, but that is partly because of the way paradox games are. I mean if your pc crashed in the middle of a call of duty campaign, well you lost 10 hours, big deal. These games are A, way more complex so more risk of stuff going pearshaped, and B take way longer so the loss is that much bigger. And you cannot blame this one on a PDX game crashing, this one is fully on that last update my laptop got. Something happened between it and an antivirus update amongst others that crashed the system so hard it couldnt start up anything anymore.

I will first have to learn vicky, which i have thus far not managed to get to grips with. Not sure why since i love hoi3 and eu4, but last time i tried it ( last year or so) my usa got absolutely stomped by the confederacy until the redcoats declared war as well. Thay should tell you something, hahahahaha. I should give it the same treatment as other pdx games though and dig into it till i succeed. I can see the greatness from where i sit.

Last edited: