Europa Universalis IV to Get Immersion Pack "Third Rome"

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A very welcome addition. I would like a new mechanic to be applied to ALL orthodox countries, though. For example, Balkan minors are supposed to be able to form a Balkan League (coalition) of sorts. Or Circassia+Theodoro+Trebizond. I just feel like there should be an additional option that ties these countries together, apart from their pure religion tag. This could be achieved by reforming the orthodox mechanic. Wait and see i guess. As for Russia, i welcome all of the additions.

Will there be some unique music added when playing nations in the East Slavic culture as well?
Also, since the Muscovites get the first immersion pack, how about making the second one for their arch-rivals, the Poles (or hell, even Turks, since they also clashed with Russia and are probably played more)?

#YAX
Yet another expansion. As a fan of the series for years I find it harder and harder to return to the game. I bought the first game in a big a** box in the local bookstore many years ago. Then the second, then the third and now the fourth.
I've seen comments that EU IV should be called DLC: Universalis, and rightly so. I'm aware that free content follows. But loyal fans are still excluded from content if they dont pay for an expansion. Some of us have paid some 70 EUR so far (some even more) for one game. In your business strategy whats the max payment you want to see pr. user? Is there one?
Come on PXD. I haven't played the game for one year and when I return I cant even recognize the game any more - sans expansions or with.

Last edited:
I've paid at least $80US buying on sale, although I purchased mandate the second I could. I have around 1100 hours in it, but let's just use 800 hours for ease, my cost per hour of fun is at around 10 cents and dropping every day.

I am extremely excited for this immersion DLC and hope more will follow. I don't need huge game changing mechanics every 2 months, but I would absolutely welcome DLCs that made using different countries feel even more different.

I've paid at least $80US buying on sale, although I purchased mandate the second I could. I have around 1100 hours in it, but let's just use 800 hours for ease, my cost per hour of fun is at around 10 cents and dropping every day.

I am extremely excited for this immersion DLC and hope more will follow. I don't need huge game changing mechanics every 2 months, but I would absolutely welcome DLCs that made using different countries feel even more different.
On sale... That shouldnt be necessary

On sale... That shouldnt be necessary

yeah I do feel they should discount more on the earlier DLCs, i feel they should be absorbed into vanilla even. Is full price around $200? so even at full price my hourly fun rate is cheaper than most things.

but what I'm getting at is i bought the previous DLCs on sale to try the game out at a lesser cost. I loved it so Rights of Man and Mandate I bought full price. I'll buy the rest at full price because my cost per hour is so insanely low it's easily worth it.

True. There was "White Rus" - all lands under control of Moscow principality and "Black Rus" - lands, controlled by Poland and Lithuania. Still, question of legitimacy on the claims of the only Rus successor was later solved by Poland - when they started to opress orthodox population in Lithuania. After that Moscow has become the only undoubted leader of all Russian land.

Legal, legitimate claims of territory have nothing to do with religious freedoms and disputes in other states. Those are just imperialist land grabs and the rest is mere rhetoric. Consider the game time period where a protestant would not have the same rights or privileges in Russia as an orthodox person. Would that give Sweden a right to legitimately make war upon Russia and grant it a claim to the territory? There might be a fuss about it in the prelude to war but Sweden would really be angling for Baltic dominance and everyone knows it. Using religious divisions to accomplish political, imperialist goals is one of the oldest tricks in the book. If you are just talking about the game, a little historical inquiry is valid to get the feel right but gameplay concerns remain paramount.

The White Rus and Black Rus division you articulated is inaccurate. The states were not the dividing lines of the regions; the regions preexist the states in question. You also omitted Red Rus, probably because it destroys your argument. Being part of "Rus lands" and rather Catholic in composition just blows up your conflation of religious and legal justifications. So much for that false simplicity. Moreover, whatever oppression you are talking about probably occurred post-Jesuit arrival in 1564, or post PLC created in 1569, and much more likely was post 1595 with the rift between Ruthenian Orthodoxy and Eastern Orthodoxy. These dates matter because the Third Rome idea is promulgated by a monk in Pskov in 1510 and we date the founding of the Tsardom of Russia to Ivan IV in 1547. Accordingly, it seems the claims of Muscovy/Russia are more political and imperial than religious in nature, and the game reflects this pretty well by granting the Muscovy, Novgorod, Tver, etc. player permanent claims on these territories upon forming Russia. Do you really want the game mechanic for claims on this territory to be dependent on what a PLC player or AI is doing? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Regards, comrade crazyzombie.

Last edited:
Legal, legitimate claims of territory have nothing to do with religious freedoms and disputes in other states. Those are just imperialist land grabs and the rest is mere rhetoric. Consider the game time period where a protestant would not have the same rights or privileges in Russia as an orthodox person. Would that give Sweden a right to legitimately make war upon Russia and grant it a claim to the territory? There might be a fuss about it in the prelude to war but Sweden would really be angling for Baltic dominance and everyone knows it. Using religious divisions to accomplish political, imperialist goals is one of the oldest tricks in the book. If you are just talking about the game, a little historical inquiry is valid to get the feel right but gameplay concerns remain paramount.

The White Rus and Black Rus division you articulated is inaccurate. The states were not the dividing lines of the regions; the regions preexist the states in question. You also omitted Red Rus, probably because it destroys your argument. Being part of "Rus lands" and rather Catholic in composition just blows up your conflation of religious and legal justifications. So much for that false simplicity. Moreover, whatever oppression you are talking about probably occurred post-Jesuit arrival in 1564, or post PLC created in 1569, and much more likely was post 1595 with the rift between Ruthenian Orthodoxy and Eastern Orthodoxy. These dates matter because the Third Rome idea is promulgated by a monk in Pskov in 1510 and we date the founding of the Tsardom of Russia to Ivan IV in 1547. Accordingly, it seems the claims of Muscovy/Russia are more political and imperial than religious in nature, and the game reflects this pretty well by granting the Muscovy, Novgorod, Tver, etc. player permanent claims on these territories upon forming Russia. Do you really want the game mechanic for claims on this territory to be dependent on what a PLC player or AI is doing? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Regards, comrade crazyzombie.
Religion in Eastern Europe was some kind of "ideology", which affected politics pretty much. Religion divided Russians and Lithuanians way more than language or ruler did.
From the point of view of orthodox Russian catholic Poles were heretics, and Lithuanians - even worse, traitors of "True Faith". Poles payed to Russians with the same penny, treating them as "wrong christians and barbarians".

The idea is to make a smaller expansion type with a clear focus. More information to come!

Any chance of reworking and reviewing Purple Phoenix? As of now it is not in the best of shape in comparison, and it is clearly the original Immersion Pack.

It shares conceptual content with this new one as well.

Religion in Eastern Europe was some kind of "ideology", which affected politics pretty much. Religion divided Russians and Lithuanians way more than language or ruler did.
From the point of view of orthodox Russian catholic Poles were heretics, and Lithuanians - even worse, traitors of "True Faith". Poles payed to Russians with the same penny, treating them as "wrong christians and barbarians".

Religion was some kind of ideology which affected politics in eastern, central, western, and northern Europe alike.

:)

@BjornB, with Banners and now 'Streltsy', what is the point in adding these 'special' culture-specific troops?

How do current regiments not represent these things already?

Can you try and implement mechanics to better represent and expand on the regular army system? Maybe proper levy system like in CKII?

I hope to see some buffs for the russian minor nations such as Ryazan. Moscovy by itself - too easy to play.
They do have some new provinces, as you may have seen already. The Russian government-forms (Principality and Tsardom) have gotten some unique mechanics too.

I think you're underplaying the role rulers play in utilizing religion as a weapon of division to achieve their political ends, but I really only care about the game mechanics here. IMHO the game does a good job of representing this so I'm still arguing for no change as regards your original post.

I hope we will see some improvements in the order of importance of those Muscovite missions! Historically, Muscovy is supposed to eat all the small principalities before attacking Novgorod. I'm tired of Golden Horde vassalizing Ryazan and force-converting Russian clay into Sunni.

Problem with DLC name is that Russia is not only one who claims to be third Rome. Holy Roman Empire for example. Napoleonic France also. Italy. It would be more appropiate name if DLC would include stuff for more nations and not only for Russians. Third Rome is more generic name and not really especially Russian.
But not really a big deal.

Problem with DLC name is that Russia is not only one who claims to be third Rome. Holy Roman Empire for example. Napoleonic France also. Italy. It would be more appropiate name if DLC would include stuff for more nations and not only for Russians. Third Rome is more generic name and not really especially Russian.
But not really a big deal.
It's just a DLC-name and something Moscow was named. Vienna was never the third Rome, nor was Paris.