• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mortheim

General Borsh of Küche Army
59 Badges
Feb 14, 2012
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
Hello! Welcome to my thread with suggestions for Russia now and Russian minors later! Feel free to add something useful or ask questions!

Last update: New trade goods.

Next Update: ???

After Next Update: ???

CONTENT:

0) Make Third Rome Great Again:
0.1) Alternative Parliament and Horde Rulership;
0.2) Additional ideas for changes;

1) Artillery in Tsardom of Russia

2) Oprichnina:
2.1) Oprichnina as disaster and first part of information about Oprichnina;

3) Suggestion about ideas for Russia and Duchies.
3.1) Another attempt;

4) (Bad) Idea for Orthodox Mecahnic based on leader-traits system in Rights of Man.

5) Streltsy:
5.1) Infromation about Streltsy;
5.2) Starting information about modifiers for Streltsy;
5.3) Modifiers related to streltsy and first description;

6) Important figures:
6.1) Sophia Palaiologos - wife of Ivan III;
6.2) Aloiso the new - architect;
6.3) Stroganov Dynasty;
6.4) Ivan Grozniy:
a) relatives and death of father;

7) Changes to map:
7.1) Opochka, Rusa and Velikie Luki;
7.2) Solovetsky Monastery;
7.3) Yuriev-Polskiy, Pereyaslavl-Zalesskiy and other unpronouncing Russian cities jk: and Dmitrov.
7.4) Neighbours:
a) Kazan;
b) Great Horde;
c) North Great Horde;
d) South Great Horde;
e) Crimea;
7.5) Alternative Trade Goods;
7.5.1) Map of Mineral Riches for European Part of Russia, middle of 19th century;

8) German Quarters;

9) Time of Troubles;

10) Moscow Civil War;

11) Zasechnaya Cherta;
11.1) Some information;
11.2) Bolshaya Zasechnaya Cherta;

12) Missions:
12.1) Some information on Integrationa of Principalities;
12.2) Mission Tree for Muscovy/Russia;
12.3) Train of thought;

13) Rulers (short):
13.1) Vasiliy II has low stats;
13.2) Why Ivan III has underrated stats;

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
im happy to see developers posting in this thread...russia really needs some love, especially orthodox religion and military reforms

some of my own event suggestions (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/russia-ideas-events-a-few-changes.919896/), bonuses and effects are placeholders

+morale fits better with lady of kazan in my opinion, streltsy are hard to implement historically in the game, +discipline and +land leader fire could be okay, cavalry combat ability should be implemented via complete rework of cossacks in the game, atleast for russia

as im thinking about this, tatar yoke could be an event for for all russian states and hordes in that area, all russian states would get an event annualy to send some % of income (split) to kazan?, golden horde? etc. or to decline and immediately get into war with those states as defender. Similarly muslim hordes would get an event to demand tribute or lose some horde unity. Winning this defensive war would end tatar yoke, removing these events completely. Losing this war would mean continuation of these events and worsening relations between nations involved. AI should be capable of determining when it is or is not ready to face the hordes (I hope). Just an idea.

Great work OP btw ;)

"Another day - another septim"

While I was reading stuff about Russian military (and, well, there is A LOT of information) I decided to revisit ideas of Russia and add small part about Smolenskian Ideas.

So, yeah, Russia. While quality ideas rock, quantity are only useful if they come with quality. What i think about Russian idea set is that it was created as alternative to quality army to, maybe, offer different gameplay, but it fails horribly in representation of Russia. And Russia has some strange set. I will repeat myself but i have some problems with Russian ideas. So, here it goes:

Ambition and tradition (75% manpower and 20% cheaper infantry): yes, Russia was good at drafting. But it had low population, always suffered from horde raids, should also feed army during war and stuff like that. It could field pretty big army if needed, but this would hurt state (like after Livonian War). Reason behind cheaper infantry I also can't find. Yes, there were, as they called, "Boevie Holopi" ("Combat Servant" as i would translate this) who were more like drujina and made up 1/3-1/2 of Russian army (yap, they were part of forces which nobleman brought with themselves, so this is more like feudal army). So, this wasn't some army of peasants. Those people, often, had good armor and weapons, also they could have horse(s). 25% can stay, but 50% from ambition and 20% discount? No way. Second tradition can be -15/20% core creation cost ("Gathering of Lands). Ambition can be 10% morale boost or +1 land leader fire (both represents future great leaders and endurance of Russian people).

Sudebnik (-15% core creation cost): well-well-well, here starts even more strange stuff. Sudebnik was created to unify different laws and regulate legal proceedings. Mainly it was focused on criminal law and civil law. Civil law is interesting for us, cause in this document peasants could became serfs, defined estate (the one for serving state), through various means increased tax income from cities. Now, how this is connected with -15% CCR? No way it is connected. It should increase tax/production and give -1 to unrest. Or should be replaced by something like Third Rome (+1 prestige) or, if we want another set of Military Ideas and leave the feeling of Big Russian forces, we can replace it with Pomestnoe Voisko (+30% land forcelimit cause this reform helped rise bigger armies than it's neighbors).

Found the Streltsy (+50% forcelimit):
Oh My God how wrong this whole idea is. First, it represents small practically professional army which was paid for service and given land and food, which give you 50% forcelimit while FREAKING POLISH PEASANTS WHICH PROVED THEMSELVES USELESS HAVE 10% INFANTRY COMBAT ABILITY ATOP OF 25% MANPOWER MODIFIER (I'll remind you - those peasants often bribed officers because they didn't want to serve). Like, ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Second, they existed for ~200 years and they are in idea set, while Janissaries, which existed BEFORE AND AFTER EU4 TIMELINE ARE EVENT (AND THEY QUALITY ALSO IS QUESTIONABLE). RUSSIAN PROFESSIONAL SOLDIERS ARE SO BAD THAT THEY ONLY GIVE YOU MORE SUPPORT FOR ZERG-RUSH. LIKE, SERIOUS? Third, those guys, maybe, didn't represent whole army, but often they showed their morale and firepower.
This modifier is ahistorical. I would replace it with "Russian Artillery Yard" (there are claims that Ivan IV had biggest artillery yard in whole Europe and, also, Moscow was known for its gun production). This will give 10% fire damage. In understand how useless this is, but...it can be replaced with Sudebnik! But, unlike previous that was ordered by Ivan III, this one will be from 1550 and mastermind behind it was Ivan IV. This Sudebnik gave serfs and peasants some rights (even forced them, i would say), changed legal proceedings, gave power to locally elected "elders" (this means some one who is highest in rank), tax reform (not big thou), Prikazi ("Orders" - ministries) took shape. Again - nothing about reduction of CCR, but this can give some other bonus (autonomy reduction).

Oprichnina (+10% manpower recovery speed, -20% culture conversion cost): so, Oprichnina was an fast effort of centralization and dealing with powerful nobles and all of this was spiced with paranoya. Still, why this gives you such bonuses is mystery to me. It should be disaster or modifier (it should affect Noble estate and reshape it), not idea, but if it stays like this this should give 0.05 autonomy reduction. Or, as variant, less estates demands of land. After all it was about centralizing states and lessening the power of Nobles and Church.

Abolish the Mestnichestvo (+10% production): IT HAPPENED AFTER RUSSIANS REACH KAMCHATKA. So it should switch place with "Siberian Frontier" and, maybe, be changed to +5% to production and -0.05 to corruption.

Siberian Frontier (+1 colonist and adjacent provinces of a colony are revealed): it is okayish idea, but should be higher.

The table of ranks (+0.5 YAT): ah, poor Table of Ranks. Civilian and Military document that gives only military bonus. Add -10/15% discount to advisor cost and it will be good.

Broaden the curriculum of the Cadet Corps (+20% institution spread): what this even means? This name should be replaced with "Russian absolutism" or "Ministry Reform". Maybe it should become something else - more suiting. Maybe replace it with something like "Development of land" during Catherine II reign, when a lot of previously uninhabited (or with scarce population) land was settled with peasants, foreigners and a lot of other people. It would make perfect sense: representing boom of population, foundation of new cities, appearance of new villages etc.

Now funny part - idea set:

Tradition: 25% manpower, -15% core creation cost.

Sudebnik: +10% tax, -1 unrest

Streltsy/Russian Artillery Yard: +10% land fire damage

Oprichnina: 0.05 autonomy reduction.

Siberian frontier: +1 colonist, adjacent provinces of colony are revealed.

Abolish the mestnichestvo: +5% production, -0.05 corruption.

Table of Ranks: +0.5 YAT, -15% advisor cost.

Russian absolutism: +20% institution spread.

Ambition: +10% morale

Pomestnoe Voisko: 30% focelimit modifier.

Streltsy/Russian Artillery Yard: +10% fire damage.

Sudebnik: 0.05 autonomy reduction.

Siberian frontier: +1 colonist, adjacent provinces of colony are revealed.

Abolish the mestnichestvo: +5% production, -0.05 corruption.

Table of Ranks: +0.5 YAT, -10% advisor cost.

Development of land: -10% development cost.

Ambition: +1 land leader fire.

Pomestnoe voisko: +30% forcelimit modifier.

Russian artillery yards: -10/15/20% artillery cost.

Streltsy: +10% land fire damage.

Siberian Frontier: +1 colonist, adjacent provinces of colony are revealed.

Abolishment of Mestnichestvo: 10% morale.

Table of Ranks: 0.5 YAT, -10% advisor cost.

Development of land: -10% development cost

Ambition: +1 land leader fire.

Some ideas from which set can be assembled:
Sudebnik 1497 (+10 tax, -1 unrest), Sudebnik 1550 (-0.05 autonomy), Pomestnoe Voisko (30% forcelimit modifier), Streltsy (+10% land fire damage), Russian Artillery Yards (-10/15/20% artillery cost), Oprichnina (-0.05 autonomy), Russian Enlightened Absolutism (-10% tech cost), Development of Land (-10% development cost).

And about Smolensk:
Smolensk wasn't known for its cannons. It was really important fortress that, later, became "gateway to Moscow". If anything, Moscow produced most cannons for long time. Tula and other cities kicked in later (we are not counting cannons that were forged in monasteries). Smolenskian ideas should be centered about defense and trade.

To the contents.

Last edited:
Smolensk wasn't known for its cannons. It was really important fortress that, later, became "gateway to Moscow". If anything, Moscow produced most cannons for long time. Tula and other cities kicked in later (we are not counting cannons that were forged in monasteries). Smolenskian ideas should be centered about defense and trade.
Smolensk was a "City-Stronghold". This city had often more artillery and gunpowder than the whole army PLC or Sweden.

btw.

Smolensk was a "City-Stronghold". This city had often more artillery and gunpowder than the whole army PLC or Sweden.

Yes, it was. And ideas should be build around city-stronghold, not about artillery.

I practically never watch Russian film or cartoons. And, well, even 1612 is more historical than THIS.

Hey, did anyone noticed that Vladivostok is misplaced. When you conquer it as Russia...
It should be in Furdan right?
Untitled.png

Vladivostok was founded in 1860, so it should have another name.
Russia didn't even own the place in EU4 timeframe, it using slightly anachronistic name won't hurt.

btw.

I watched this cartoon, and while it was entertaining, i must say Russians really dont have a feel for subtlety. Look i get it, the whole point of this cartoon is to promote the patriotic spirit for the Motherland, right? But you dont have to make it SO obvious/over the top that its almost distasteful :p

Still like i said, not a bad cartoon at all.

This post is total filler and I will use it against fans of Poland, who claim that Poland couldn't fight Russia in 17th because of loss of population and Deluge. Cause, yes, they couldn't, like Russia couldn't do it during Time of Troubles cause, in 1601, started one of the biggest famine in Russian history (it is even called Great Famine). Just in Moscow nearly 127000 died. And this shit happened not long after Livonian War, during which a lot of Russians were taken into slavery by tatars (before Battle of Molodi). Poland isn't unique in that situation - it just got practically same shit later. And all European countries were affected by Little Ice Age. But, funniest thing, Russia was affected the most. And how many people died, what do you think? Third of population (~2 millions).

Cause, yes, they couldn't, like Russia couldn't do it during Time of Troubles cause, in 1601, started one of the biggest famine in Russian history (it is even called Great Famine). Just in Moscow nearly 127000 died.
Hard to believe it. What overall population was in Moscow in that period?
It reminded me fables of some historians who says that from 40k to 100k of population was killed in Novgorod during reign of Ivan IV.
But in Novgorod lived a total of 40k people at the time.

And this shit happened not long after Livonian War, during which a lot of Russians were taken into slavery by tatars (before Battle of Molodi). Poland isn't unique in that situation - it just got practically same shit later. And all European countries were affected by Little Ice Age. But, funniest thing, Russia was affected the most. And how many people died, what do you think? Third of population (~2 millions).
This is a very strange occupation - to find out who is more suffered: Russia in the Time of Troubles or Poland during the Deluge, don't you think? I think need to judge by results. Russia recovered and improved, and Poland continued to stagnate.