• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #58: Habitats

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is going to cover a feature coming in the (unannounced) expansion accompanying the 1.5 'Banks' update: Habitats. As before, I still can't say anything about the release date of the update/expansion other than that you're in for a bit of a wait.

Orbital Habitats (Paid Feature)
One of the things we have stated that we want to address is the lack of options for building 'tall' in Stellaris: Even if you're playing pacifist xenophiles that have no interest in conquering others, sooner or later your empire is going to have their borders closed in on all fronts, all the habitable planets in your space will be terraformed, and your only option for further expansion is to grow your space through conquest. When we say that we want to enable building tall, however, this doesn't mean we're going to make being a five-system empire just as good as being a fifty-system empire: There should always be an incentive to expand your borders, but for those who do not want or simply cannot do this, we want there to options other than just stagnating.

Orbital Habitats is one of our solutions to this problem: Instead of expanding to new systems and colonizing new planets, you create new, artificial 'planets' for your Pops to live on. Orbital Habitats are massive space stations that function like small (currently size 12, though this may not be the final number) planets that (like Gaia Planets and Ringworlds) have 100% habitability for all species. They can be built around any non-habitable planet (not asteroid or moon) in your space, and there is no limit to the amount you can build other than the number of such planets you have to build them around. Habitats function exactly like a planet: They can be colonized with whatever Pops you want to live there, they can be worked for resources by constructing buildings there, and they count as a planet for the purpose of empire research costs. In order to build a habitat, you need to have researched the maximum level of spaceport technology and picked the 'Voidborn' Ascension Perk (for more info on Ascension Perks, see dev diary 56)
2017_01_26_2.png

Habitats mostly do not have tile resources with the one exception that if the planet they are orbiting has a resource that could otherwise be worked by a mining or research station, that resource will be present on one of the Habitat's tiles. Instead, Habitats have their own, unique set of buildings distinct from the normal planetary buildings. Overall, Habitats are efficient when it comes to research and energy general, but do poorly when it comes to food and mineral production. These buildings are 'single-stage': they have a fairly large upfront cost and high immediate research production, but cannot be upgraded. The reason for this is to allow for easier management of systems with several habitats in them.

Graphics-wise, Habitats use different models depending on which ship set you have selected, and each ship set (including Plantoids) has its own habitat model. They also have their own planet icon and will get a unique planetary graphic and tile set (that is still a work in progress and thus not shown below), emphasising the ways in which they differ from regular planets.
2017_01_26_1.png

That's all for today! Normally, this is where I'd tell you what next week's dev diary is going to be about, but this time I have to keep it a secret for the time being... so all I'm going to say is that it's going to be big.

Very big.

Reactions:
First thing I'm going to do after this expansion comes out is try to play a game without using sectors at all, to see how feasible it is. I'm so glad we're getting an option like that now.

Though it guess it depends on whether or not sectors are getting a major overhaul too.

Last edited:
Reactions:
First thing I'm going to do after this expansion comes out is try to play a game without using sectors at all, to see how feasible it is. I'm so glad we're getting an option like that now.

Though it guess it depends on whether or not sectors are getting a major overhaul too.

Where does it say, we can play without sectors? Did I miss that?

I believe they're more thinking that, because Orbitals can be built in inhabited systems, you could potentially build an Orbital any time you'd be colonizing a new planet in a new solar system- which means that you could develop internally instead of increasing the number of owned systems you have.

Or rather: most systems in the game only have 1 habitable planet, meaning that if you want to have 6 planets, you'll usually need 6 systems, and one of those will need to be in a sector. With orbitals, you could instead build one inside one of your 5 systems, gaining a 6th "planet" without putting yourself in need of a sector.

Reactions:

I just meant I would try to play a game where I don't create any sectors, instead maximizing the number of core systems I can control and then building up within those borders afterwards instead of focusing on further expansion. I want to see if this is still competitive in the late game.

Reactions:
They can be built around any non-habitable planet (not asteroid or moon) in your space, and there is no limit to the amount you can build other than the number of such planets you have to build them around.

It is said that habitats can be built within borders and not only in colonized systems.

Last edited:
Reactions:
That's all for today! Normally, this is where I'd tell you what next week's dev diary is going to be about, but this time I have to keep it a secret for the time being... so all I'm going to say is that it's going to be big.

Very big.
Question I'm not sure has been addressed.

Obviously you can't build these outside your territory, you'd need to put in a frontier station first.

But do they project influence borders in the same way as frontier stations and planets if you remove a frontier station? or do they act like resource harvesting space stations and belong to whoever has the most influence over the system at the moment if it's not directly controlled via influence?

Reactions:
Question I'm not sure has been addressed.

Obviously you can't build these outside your territory, you'd need to put in a frontier station first.

But do they project influence borders in the same way as frontier stations and planets if you remove a frontier station? or do they act like resource harvesting space stations and belong to whoever has the most influence over the system at the moment if it's not directly controlled via influence?
Afaik, this has been answered. Habitats work just like small Gaia planets with special buildings at the moment. They will expand your borders.

I like ideas of new patch, I totally do!

But I think this new concept of habitats is a bit... well, too unrealistic? I know, "cmon, we are talking about aliens and giant space dragons, how could this be reaistic?".

Still though. These habitats are giant habitable space stations (nice idea!) with 12 pops (wow, what?). I mean, Earth can contain 16 pops. Let's say, in 2200 it's 10 billions people. Or just 8 billions, to make things simpler. Then 1 pop = 500 millions people. Then we have space station, where live 6 billions? Even 1 billion is too much. How it's even possible? What size of this station?

And cost is only 5 000 minerals? It's realy very cheap for such thing as artficial planet. Maybe 50 000 would be enugh. I guess. And only 1->2->3 tiles after each upgrade.

Just my opnion, nothing more. Artficial planets are a) way too anrealistic for regular civilsation b) OP c) too cheap

Can't wait for 1.5!

Reactions:

But I think this new concept of habitats is a bit... well, too unrealistic? I know, "cmon, we are talking about aliens and giant space dragons, how could this be reaistic?".

Still though. These habitats are giant habitable space stations (nice idea!) with 12 pops (wow, what?). I mean, Earth can contain 16 pops. Let's say, in 2200 it's 10 billions people. Or just 8 billions, to make things simpler. Then 1 pop = 500 millions people. Then we have space station, where live 6 billions? Even 1 billion is too much. How it's even possible? What size of this station?

And cost is only 5 000 minerals? It's realy very cheap for such thing as artficial planet. Maybe 50 000 would be enugh. I guess. And only 1->2->3 tiles after each upgrade.

Just my opnion, nothing more. Artficial planets are a) way too anrealistic for regular civilsation b) OP c) too cheap

Can't wait for 1.5!

We've discussed the size of POPs ad nauseum. They're not necessarily a billion people each, or even a full percentage of a billion.

Also, an artificial habitat with artificial gravity or even centrifugal force would have a much higher livable space:mass ratio than a planet.

Reactions:

Can't wait for 1.5!
You are not building a planet. You are building a space station that is big enough permanently house the population of a small planet.
Keep in mind that you currently get a research penalty for every planet you settle. I suspect that it will apply to habitats as well. A normal planet is much more efficient than a habitat even with the research boost.
Also a big battleship costs about 1400 minerals. So 5000 for mostly living space seems fineish to me.

Reactions:
You are not building a planet. You are building a space station that is big enough permanently house the population of a small planet.
Keep in mind that you currently get a research penalty for every planet you settle. I suspect that it will apply to habitats as well. A normal planet is much more efficient than a habitat even with the research boost.
Also a big battleship costs about 1400 minerals. So 5000 for mostly living space seems fineish to me.
Habitats have an inherent boost to Research and Energy production, but are poor at Mineral and Food production.

Reactions:

Can't wait for 1.5!
The Earth is mostly uninhabited, though, even when you don't consider the 70+ percent that's water. Then there is Australia, Siberia, Greenland, Canada, and other areas with few people. If area is used "effectively", you don't need anything near Earth's surface diameter.

This is where I would start calculating people per square kilometres given a certain land area and possibly write some paragraphs musing on the ideal space required for billions of people... if I was that kind of person, but unfortunately or fortunately for all of you I'm not.

We've discussed the size of POPs ad nauseum. They're not necessarily a billion people each, or even a full percentage of a billion.

Also, an artificial habitat with artificial gravity or even centrifugal force would have a much higher livable space:mass ratio than a planet.

Good point.

I guess, it's just difficult for me to imagine how at least 50M people can live on space station.

On the other hand, there are Citadel and Omega in Mass Effect... Well, I guess it's possible then.

But I still think, habitats should have less tiles and be more expensive.

Reactions:
Afaik, this has been answered. Habitats work just like small Gaia planets with special buildings at the moment. They will expand your borders.
They were described as gaia planets for the purposes of habitability, I wasn't sure if it was as if they were gaian planets in total.

I guess, it's just difficult for me to imagine how at least 50M people can live on space station.

On the other hand, there are Citadel and Omega in Mass Effect... Well, I guess it's possible then.

But I still think, habitats should have less tiles and be more expensive.

Where did the meme of "each pop icon represents a set number of people" come from? I've never seen this in the actual game so it seems to be limited to a few forum posts.

Where did the meme of "each pop icon represents a set number of people" come from? I've never seen this in the actual game so it seems to be limited to a few forum posts.

Never heard about this meme, but this point of view has some logiс, doesn't it? Each pop icon represents some certain amount of people. But, as was said above, it's pretty pointless yet to discuss how many people is in one icon.

Never heard about this meme, but this point of view has some logiс, doesn't it? Each pop icon represents some certain amount of people. But, as was said above, it's pretty pointless yet to discuss how many people is in one icon.

You gave a specific number, but other people have said "it represents 1 million" or something.

It doesn't really have any logic, though. The amount of people who can live on a planet (or more or less anywhere) is arbitrarily high.

Numerous off-topic posts deleted.

This thread is purely for discussion of the content of this Dev Diary.

This is the last and only warning. Any further derailment of the thread will see people being infracted.