• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So,it`s the middle of 1941.What`s with researches?When Reich will get nuclear bombs,Tesla troopers and jets?And on what country`s tanks based tanks of Reich?
Nukes will come at the end of the AAR, which is historical. No Tesla troopers. Jets will come around 1942. I'm using a pictures of mostly German and some American tanks for Reich/Imperium tanks.

Reactions:
Well, this is a happy rom-com.

SPOLIER ALERT: THEY FALL IN LOVE AGAIN
I should point out that although I'm trying to stay as close to the script as possible, I can and will change the ending as I see fit. Watching the movie should just give you a general idea of where I'm going. Plus there will be more action scenes than in the movie, I hope.;)
Well, this is a happy rom-com.
Wait until the end to see if it's still a happy rom-com.:p

I should point out that although I'm trying to stay as close to the script as possible, I can and will change the ending as I see fit. Watching the movie should just give you a general idea of where I'm going. Plus there will be more action scenes than in the movie, I hope.;)
You know, this whole conflict wouldn't have happened if the Germans didn't have Adolf Hitler as leader.
More action scenes? Like gunfights! Explosions! Intrigue! Hot steamy sex! Women killing each other over the same man- oh wait.
Wait until the end to see if it's still a happy rom-com.:p
Eh, even if you stay true to the ending, Engelbert will show up at the end of the civil war, and be like "I missed you" and Alwine would be like "i missed you too" then they make up for it by having sex worthy of a Harry Potter tumblr fanfiction and they all live happily ever after. (With sam being his badass self. He was my favourite character in the film.)

Reactions:
Oh my goodness, why didn't I think of Putting letters and Logs in Quotes, Gah

Nukes will come at the end of the AAR, which is historical. No Tesla troopers. Jets will come around 1942. I'm using a pictures of mostly German and some American tanks for Reich/Imperium tanks.

Fair warning Tanks are easier than Aircraft, you have No idea how difficult it is finding nice pictures and artwork of WW2 Aircraft without the roundel.

You know, this whole conflict wouldn't have happened if the Germans didn't have Adolf Hitler as leader.
More action scenes? Like gunfights! Explosions! Intrigue! Hot steamy sex! Women killing each other over the same man- oh wait.

Eh, even if you stay true to the ending, Engelbert will show up at the end of the civil war, and be like "I missed you" and Alwine would be like "i missed you too" then they make up for it by having sex worthy of a Harry Potter tumblr fanfiction and they all live happily ever after. (With sam being his badass self. He was my favourite character in the film.)
Eh, if Adolf Hitler didn't exist or didn't become leader of Germany, assuming WWI began and ended the same way somebody else would have just taken his place and a war would have started sooner or later.

Let's keep this PG, shall we? I don't want to summon any mods while I'm in the middle of intense character development and world building.
Oh my goodness, why didn't I think of Putting letters and Logs in Quotes, Gah

Fair warning Tanks are easier than Aircraft, you have No idea how difficult it is finding nice pictures and artwork of WW2 Aircraft without the roundel.
I don't really mind the roundels (in the Blitz of Vienna chapters I specifically pointed them out as a special insignia used by the Kaiserliche Luftwaffe), but what I do mind are swastikas and flags. There are so many good pictures that I can't use because there are flags or swastikas on them. I was also trying to get a good picture of the Angeloi marching into Paris for the conquest of Constantinople, but the only good ones had the Arc de Triomphe in it.

If Hitler didn`t came to power in Germany,Stalin would start war on his own or via Italy\Japan\any other de-facto puppet of USSR...
P.S.:I can`t wait until Angelos`s invasion on Soviets.

Eh, if Adolf Hitler didn't exist or didn't become leader of Germany, assuming WWI began and ended the same way somebody else would have just taken his place and a war would have started sooner or later.
Hmmm, true....
Let's keep this PG, shall we? I don't want to summon any mods while I'm in the middle of intense character development and world building.
Kay. Just wanted to get a laugh from you guys.

Chapter 348: The Visitor, Part 16

Rudolf's office - 9 June 1941, morning

"I strongly suspect that Ullrich left the letters with Frau Alwine," said Schmidt, "I would suggest you search the cafe immediately and thoroughly."

"If Alwine has the letters, she is much too smart to let us find them there," said Rudolf.

"You give her credit for too much cleverness," said Schmidt, "My impression was that she's just another hysterical woman jilted by her husband to the point of near insanity."

"Quite so," said Rudolf, "But we mustn't underestimate female hysteria. I heard stories of how Heydrich let the false Kaiser escape because of such hysteria, shortly before his untimely death."

Schmidt stared at him. "As for the target, I want him watched twenty-four hours a day."

"It may interest you to know that at this moment he's on his way here," said Rudolf reassuringly.

Outside the office, people jammed the entrance to the building, and Otto and Engelbert made their way through the packed crowd.

They got inside, where the Mauretanian officer from last night greeted them and opened the door to Rudolf's office for them. As they entered, Schmidt and Rudolf rose from their seats and turned to face them, the latter moving forward to shake hands with both men.

"I'm delighted to see you both," said Rudolf.

Engelbert refused to shake hands with either of them.

"Did you have a good night's rest?" Rudolf asked.

"I slept well," said Engelbert.

"That's strange," said Rudolf, "Nobody's supposed to sleep well in Casablanca."

He laughed as Engelbert started speaking with a stern expression. "May we proceed with the business?"

The expression on Schmidt's face was now also as cold as Engelbert's. "Very well, Herr Engelbert, we shall not mince words. You are an escaped prisoner and traitor of the Reich. So far you have been fortunate in eluding us. You have reached Casablanca, and it is my duty to make sure you stay in Casablanca."

"Whether or not you succeed, of course, is problematical," replied Engelbert.

"Not at all," said Schmidt, "Captain Rudolf's signature is necessary on every exit visa."

He turned to Rudolf. "Captain, would you think it is possible that Herr Engelbert will receive an exit visa?"

Rudolf hesitated for a second. "I'm afraid not. I regret, Herr."

"Well, perhaps I shall like it in Casablanca," said Engelbert, casually.

"And Herr Senator?" Schmidt asked.

"You need not be concerned about me," said Otto.

Engelbert got out of his seat. "Is that all you wish to tell us?"

Schmidt smiled. "Don't be in such a hurry. You have all the time in the world. You may be in Casablanca indefinitely..."

He leaned forward, speaking intently. "Or you may leave for New Peten tomorrow, on one condition."

"And that is?" Engelbert said.

"You know the leadership of the Resistance in Vienna, as well as the location of their hideouts," said Schmidt, "Through your correspondence with the leadership you also know the location of two immensely powerful angels somewhere in the city and have collaborated with the leadership of various Resistance cells in Breslau, Budapest, Belgrade, and Bucharest."

"Even in Berlin," said Engelbert.

"Yes, even in Berlin," said Schmidt, "Now, if you will furnish me with their names and exact whereabouts, you will have your visas by tomorrow morning."

"And the honor of having served the Imperium!" Rudolf said in a tongue in cheek manner.

"How do I know you won't just arrest me after I give you the names?" Engelbert replied.

"You will give us the names?" Schmidt asked.

"If I didn't give them to you when I was in Vienna, where you had more 'persuasive methods' at your disposal, I certainly won't give them to you now," said Engelbert.

He started speaking with conviction. "And what if you track down these men and women and kill them? What if you murdered all of us? From every corner of the Reich hundreds of thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Angeloi can't kill that fast..."

"Herr Engelbert," said Schmidt, "You have a reputation for eloquence which I can now understand. But in one respect you are mistaken. You said the enemies of the Reich could all be replaced. But there is one exception--nobody can take your place in the event anything...um...unfortunate were to happen to you while you were trying to escape."

"You wouldn't dare interfere with me here," said Engelbert, "Any violation of my Augustinian Code rights will reflect on Captain Rudolf's record."

"Herr, so long as it is in my power..." began Rudolf.

"Thank you," said Engelbert.

"By the way," said Rudolf, "Last night you evinced an interest in Herr Ullrich."

"Yeah?"

"I believe you have a message for him."

"Nothing important, but may I speak to him now?

Schmidt grinned wryly. "You might find your conversation a little bit one-sided. Ullrich's dead."

Engelbert and Otto stared at each other.

"Oh," said Otto.

Rudolf picked up the papers on his desk and got up. "I'm making out the report now. We haven't quite decided yet whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape."

After a pause, Engelbert spoke up. "You are quite finished with us?"

Rudolf nodded. "For the time being."

"Good day." Engelbert and Otto quickly got up and left the room.

When the door had closed, Rudolf sighed. "Undoubtedly their next stop will be the market."

The Mauretanian entered the room. "Sir, there's another visa problem. There's somebody waiting outside."

"Send them in. I've got all day."

Casablanca's Marketplace

Casablanca's market was a bustling and cluttered street filled with open-air bazaars, shops, and stalls, mostly in the old Arab styles which were the most comfortable in this climate. All kinds of different peoples from all over the Reich and possibly beyond milled about the merchandise that local merchants had on display. Both men and women were dressed in either tropical clothes or loose-fitting Arab outfits, though they still sought protection under the canopies hanging over the stalls from the scorching Sahara sun. At first glance it looked like this was just an average Middle Eastern bazaar, but it was a bit more shady than that, and not just because of the canopies.

A Persian exile was trying to sell a small rug to a Britannian couple.

"Are you sure this is perfectly legal?" asked the woman.

"Frau, there is no rug in my shop that has not been smuggled in legally," replied the Persian, "You see, the authorities have been..."

Over near the Red Toucan cafe, an Occitan and a Malian were talking in low tones.

"But Herr, we would have to handle the police," said the Malian, "That's a job for Herr Lunati--"

"Lunati?" said the Occitan.

"It can be most helful to know Herr Lunati," said the Malian, "He's basically got a monopoly on the whole market, both the conventional and black markets."

At that moment, Lunati walked out of the Red Toucan and looked impatiently up and down the street.

"You'll find him over there at the Red Toucan," said the Malian, pointing at Lunati.

"Thanks," said the Occitan.

Lunati was about to walk back into the cafe when a couple, probably from Frisia from their clothes, walked up to him.

"Excuse me, you're Herr Lunati, are you not?" asked the man.

"Yep, that's me," said Lunati, "What do you want?"

"We were told you might be able to help us?" said the man.

Lunati thought for a moment.

"Come inside," he told them.

The three of them went inside and entered Lunati's office.

Lunati sat down behind his desk, while the couple sat down in front of him. "What do you want?" he asked.

"Five hundred marks for an exit visa," said the man.

Lunati stared at them and then burst out laughing. Both of the Frisians looked terrified.

"Five hundred marks for an exit visa!" he exclaimed. "Young man, here that will buy you two kilograms of sugar, but not an exit visa!"

"But Herr Lunati, that's all we have left!" said the woman. "What can we possibly do?"

Lunati shruggled. "Perhaps if you talked with Captain Rudolf..."

"We just came from his office," said the woman.

She took her husband's arm and prepared to leave.

"I'm sorry," said Lunati, "That's all I can suggest."

The Frisians got up and left the cafe, which was half empty, just as Alwine entered and walked towards Lunati, wearing her usual deadpan.

"There, there," said Lunati, patting the woman's shoulders, "Don't be too downhearted. Perhaps Rudolf will reconsider..."

"Thank you for your time, Herr," said the man, leading his wife away.

As soon as the Frisians had exited the cafe, Alwine turned towards Lunati. "Hey, Lunati," she said.

"Morning, Alwine," said Lunati, turning around.

"I see the bus is in," said Alwine, "I'll take my shipment with me."

"No hurry," said Lunati, "I'll have it sent over. Come, have a drink with me."

"I don't drink in the morning," said Alwine, "And every time you send over the shipment, it's a little short."

"Carrying charges, my friend," said Lunati, pulling over a chair. "Here, sit down. There's something I want to talk over with you."

Alwine sat down as Lunati called a waiter over. "The Capet..." he muttered, sipping his drink (a Capet). "The news about Ullrich upset me very much."

"You're a fat hypocrite," said Alwine, "Though since you're Italian I should have expected that. You don't feel any sorrier for Ullrich than I do."

Lunati looked at Alwine. "Of course not. What upsets me is the fact that Ullrich is dead and nobody knows where those letters are."

Alwine deadpanned again. "Practically nobody."

"Like if I could get those letters right now, I could make a fortune."

"So could I. And I'm a poor businesswoman."

"I have a proposition for whoever has those letters. I will handle the entire transaction, get rid of the letters, take all of the risk...for a small percentage."

"And carrying charges."

Lunati smiled. "Naturally there will be a few incidental expenses."

He looked at Alwine squarely. "That is the proposition I have for whoever has those letters."

"I'll tell them when they come in," said Alwine dryly.

"Alwine," said Lunati, "I'll put my cards on the table. I think you know where those letters are."

Alwine shrugged. "Well, you're in good company. Rudolf and Schmidt probably think so too. I came here to give them a chance to ransack my place."

"Alwine, don't be a fool," said Lunati, "Take me into your confidence. You need a partner..."

But Alwine wasn't listening anymore. She was looking through the open door in the direction of the bazaar, where she saw Engelbert and Otto passing by. Otto noticed her inside and exchanged a few words with Engelbert, upon which he turned and headed towards the Red Toucan.

Alwine interrupted Lunati and got up. "Excuse me, I'll be getting back."

Lunati nodded and took another long drink. Alwine walked towards the door, where she met Otto coming in. Otto stopped.

"Good morning," said the senator, politely.

Alwine didn't pause a moment, jerking her head in Lunati's direction. "Lunati's the fat guy at the table."

She walked past him.

Engelbert was examining a carpet which an Andalusian vendor was trying to sell to him. A sign on the counter read "700 marks." The former Inquisitor seemed to be aware of Alwine's approach and looked to be feigning interest in the carpet to avoid eye contact.

"You won't find a treasure like this in all of Mauretania, Herr," said the Andalusian, "Just seven hundred marks."

"You're being cheated," said Alwine, "You should know better."

Engelbert took a split second to compose himself before turning to Alwine, his manner politely formal.

"It doesn't matter, thank you," said Engelbert.

"Ah," said the Andalusian, "The gentleman is a friend of Alwine's? For friends of Alwine's we have a small discount. Seven hundred marks, did I say. You can have it for two hundred."

He replaced the original price tag with a new one reading "200 marks."

"I'm sorry I was in no condition to receive visitors when you called on me last night," said Alwine.

"It doesn't matter," replied Engelbert.

"Ah!" said the Andalusian. "For special friends of Alwine's we have a special discount!"

He replaced the new price tag with another which read "100 marks."

"Your story left me a little confused," said Alwine, "Or maybe it was the Capet."

"I have some other merchandise!" said the Andalusian.

"Thank you," said Engelbert, "I'm not really interested."

"Only one moment, please!" the Andalusian rushed into the back of his stall.

Engelbert pretended to examine the goods on the counter.

"Why did you come back?" demanded Alwine. "To tell me why you ran out on me at the train station?"

"Yes," said Engelbert quietly.

"Well, tell me now," said Alwine, "I'm more sober."

Engelbert looked at her quietly.

"I don't think I can, Alwine," said Engelbert.

"Why not?" said Alwine. "After all, I was stuck with one extra ticket. I think I'm entitled to know. Or is it classified like all of your other Inquisition work stuff?"

Engelbert sighed and began slowly. "Last night I saw what has happened to you. The Alwine I knew in Vienna, I could tell him. She'd understand..."

He paused, his eyes closed. "But the Alwine who looks at me with such hatred..."

He shook his head. "I'll be leaving Casablanca soon. We'll never see each other again. We both remember what we were like when we were in love in Vienna. If we leave it that way, maybe we'll remember those days, not our arguments and divorce, not Casablanca, not last night..."

Alwine's responded in a low but intense voice. "Did you run out on me because you couldn't take it? Because you knew what it would be like? Hiding from the Angeloi? Running away all the time? Fleeing as the rebels take over the Reich?"

"You can believe that if you want to," said Engelbert.

"Well, I'm not running away anymore," said Alwine, "I'm settled again, above a saloon. It's true but..."

In an ironic tone, she said, "Walk up a flight. I'll be expecting you."

"No, Alwine," said Engelbert, "You see, I have a duty to the Resistance. I must protect Senator Otto. He is the key to saving the Reich and winning the war."

Alwine stared at him.

"I can't say more!" Engelbert walked away into the cafe towards Otto and Lunati, Alwine staring after him. Then she stormed away in the opposite direction, just as the Andalusian returned, his arms loaded with merchandise. The merchant sighed and replaced his price tag with the original "700 marks" one.

Inside the cafe, Engelbert seated himself at Lunati's and Otto's table.

"I was just telling Herr Otto that unfortunately, I am not able to help you," said Lunati.

"Oh," said Engelbert.

"You see, Engelbert?" said Otto. "Word has gone around. Nobody's going to help us now! Not even the Resistance!"

"As leader of all illicit activities in Casablanca," said Lunati, "I am an influential and respected man. IT would not be worth my life to do anything for you. But you, Otto, are a different matter."

"Herr Lunati thinks it might just be possible to obtain an exit visa for me," said Otto.

"For you to go on alone?" said Engelbert.

"And only alone," said Otto.

"And risk capture by the Angeloi or the equalists?" said Engelbert.

"Eh...yeah," said Otto.

"Then I'll stay here and keep trying," said Engelbert, "Perhaps in a little while..."

"We might as well be frank, Herr," said Lunati, "It will take a miracle to get you out of Casablanca. And the Angeloi have outlawed miracles."

"We are only interested in two visas, Herr," said Engelbert.

"Come on, Engelbert, don't be too hasty!" said Otto.

"No, Otto," replied Engelbert firmly, "I am not turning back now. My mission is to protect you and get you to Tenochtitlan safely. I am not abandoning you here."

"You two will want to discuss this," said Lunati, getting to his feet, "Excuse me. I'll be at the bar."

He bowed and left.

"No, Otto," said Engelbert, "I'm not staying here. You must get to Mayapan, but I must go with you, or else they'll just rip you apart as soon as you get off the plane. Believe me, somehow we'll get out, and the mission will continue."

"Engelbert, if the situation was different," said Otto, "If only you had a visa and I had to stay, would you take it?"

"Shut up, that would mean the mission is a failure," said Engelbert.

They chuckled.

"Either we both go, or we both stay," said Engelbert, "It's the only way you'll get to Trotsky unharmed and alive."

Lunati returned to their table.

"We've decided," said Otto, "Right now we'll just look for two extra visas. Thank you very much."

Lunati sighed, realizing that further bargaining was hopeless. "Well, good luck. But be careful."

He looked over at the bazaar. "You know you're being shadowed."

Engelbert didn't need to turn. "Of course. When you're in the Resistance it becomes an instinct."

"Herr, I have one more suggestion for you," said Lunati, "Why, I do not know. Because it cannot possibly profit me, but...have you heard about Herr Ullrich and the special letters?"

"Of course I have, I was briefed on him!" said Engelbert.

"Those letters were not found on Ullrich when they arrested him," said Lunati.

"Do you know where they are?" asked Engelbert.

"Not for sure, Herr," said Lunati, "But I will venture a guess--that Ullrich left those letters with Frau Alwine."

"Alwine?" spat Engelbert.

"She is a difficult customer, that Alwine," said Lunati, "One never knows what he will do or why. But it is worth a chance."

"Thank you very much," said Engelbert, "Good day."

They all rose.

"Thank you for your coffee, Herr," said Otto, "I shall miss it when we leave Casablanca.

Lunati bowed. "You were very gracious to share it with me. Good day, Herr...Senator."

Alwine's - night

A rich male tourist entered the bar, accompanied by who appeared to be a dark-skinned Norseman, probably from Andalusia. Inside, Sam was playing on the piano.

They sat down at the bar. "Here's to you, sir," said the Norseman, raising a glass.

"Um, good luck," replied the tourist, "Yeah..."

"I'd better be going," said the Norseman.

"Um, my check, please," said the tourist to a waiter.

"I have to warn you, sir," said the Norseman, "Please--"

"Yeah--"

"This is a dangerous place full of vultures. Vultures everywhere!"

"Yeah--"

"Thanks for the drink."

"Um, goodbye, sir." The tourist laughed.

"Sorry," said the Norseman, turning back to his drink as the tourist left.

Sam finished playing just as Schmidt and a few Angeloi officers entered the cafe, passing Alwine and heading to the bar.

Karl brought Alwine another bottle of beer and a glass. "Frau Alwine, you are getting to be your own best customer."

Karl left as Alwine poured herself a drink.

"Well, Alwine," said Rudolf, sitting down at her table, "I've very pleased with you. Now you're beginning to live like a true Roman."

"That was some going-over your men gave my place this afternoon," said Alwine, "We just got it cleaned up in time to open."

"I told Schmidt we wouldn't find the letters here," said Rudolf, "But I told my men to be especially destructive. You know how that impresses the Angeloi."

He poured himself a drink. "Alwine, do you have those letters?"

Alwine stared at him. "Ludwig--are you pro-Angeloi or loyalist?"

"Serves me right for asking a direct question," said Rudolf, "The subject is closed."

"Well, it looks like you're a little late," said Alwine.

"Huh?" said Rudolf.

Alwine watched Boris approach the bar, accompanied by several Angeloi officers he was joking around with.

"I see Boris has gone over to the enemy," said Alwine.

"Who knows?" said Rudolf. "In her own way they may constitute an entire second front--"

Out of the corner of his eye he noticed the Frisian woman from that morning approaching and immediately got up.

"I think it's time for me to flatter Obergruppenfuhrer Schmidt a little," he said, "See you later, Alwine."

He strolled away.

Meanwhile, several Angeloi officers had joined Boris at the bar.

"Ivan!" shouted Boris.

"Gallic 75s," demanded one officer arrogantly.

"Put up a whole row of 'em, Ivan," said Boris, gesturing the whole length of the bar, "Starting here and ending here."

"We'll begin with two," said the officer, cutting in.

In one corner, where a group of Resistance operatives sat at a table, one of them made a remark which caused everybody in his group to start laughing. It was probably directed at Boris and his new Angeloi friends, for the officer turned towards the group, his face very red. A Resistance operative, identified by his brown coat (but not immediately arrested due to the bar being technically neutral ground), stepped out from the group.

"Hey," said the operative to Boris, "You're not Roman to be hanging out with Angeloi like this."

"What are you butting in for?" demanded Boris.

"I am butting in--" began the operative.

"It's none of your business!" shouted Boris.

"No, no, no, no!" shouted the Angeloi. "One minute! What did you say! Would you kindly repeat it!"

"What I said is none of your business!" shouted the operative.

"I will make it my business!" The Angeloi raised his fist.

"Uh, guys?" said Boris. "Could we go back to drinking now?"

The Resistance operative raised his fists two and prepared to fight just as Alwine walked in between both men.

"I don't like disturbances in my place," said Alwine to the Angeloi, "Either lay off politics or get out."

"Dirty Angeloi rebel scum," said the Resistance operative, "Mark my words, we'll take back our country!"

Meanwhile, the other Angeloi officers with Rudolf and Schmidt had sat down again.

"You see, Captain," said Schmidt, "The situation is not as much under control as you believe."

"Obergruppenfuhrer," said Rudolf, "We are trying to cooperate with the authorities in Berlin. But we cannot regulate the feelings of the people"

"Captain Rudolf, are you entirely certain which side you're on?" demanded Schmidt.

"Frankly, I have no conviction," said Rudolf, "If that is waht you mean. I blow with the wind, and the prevailing wind is blowing from Berlin."

"And if it should change?" said Schmidt.

Rudolf smiled. "Surely the Reich does not admit that possibility?"

"We are concerned about more than Casablanca," said Schmidt, "We know that every theme in Africa that hasn't initially declared its loyalty to Berlin is honeycombed with traitors just waiting their chance. Waiting, perhaps, for a leader."

Rudolf lit a cigarette. "A leader like...Otto? The Kaiser?"

Schmidt nodded. "I have been thinking. It is too dangerous if we let him go. It may be too dangerous if we let him stay."

"I see what you mean..." said Rudolf.

Meanwhile, the Frisian couple was at the counter, the woman emptying her bag of bills.

"Two hundred marks' worth, please," she said.

The cashier handed out the chips and took the bills. The couple headed over to the roulette table as the man wiped his forehead.

"Black again..." he said.

His wife handed him the chips. "this is all we have, Jan. Do you think we should?"

"Annina, we might as well have nothing," said Jan, throwing the chips recklessly over the board.

Annina simply walked away towards the hallway and promptly ran into Rudolf.

"How's lady luck treating you?" he said. "Too bad. You'll find her over there."

Rudolf pointed in Alwine's direction, and Annina nodded and approached Alwine.

"Frau Alwine..." she said.

"Yes?" replied Alwine.

"Could I speak to you - just for a moment?" said Annina.

Alwine looked at her.

"How did you get in here?" demanded Alwine.

"I came with Captain Rudolf."

Alwine scoffed. "I should have known."

"My husband is with me, too," said Annina.

"Really?" said Alwine, looking over to where Rudolf sat, "Rudolf's getting really broad minded. Sit down. Will you have a drink?"

"No, thank you," said Annina.

"Of course not," said Alwine, "Do you mind if I do?"

"No," said Annina, upon which Alwine poured herself another drink. "Frau Alwine, what sort of man is Captain Rudolf?"

Alwine shrugged. "Oh, he's just like any other man...only more so."

"I mean, is he trustworthy? Is his word..."

"Now, just a minute, who told you to ask that?"

"Rudolf did."

"I thought so. Where's your husband?"

"At the roulette table, trying to win enough for our exit visas. Obviously he's losing."

Alwine stared at her. "How long are you married?"

"Eight weeks. We come from Frisia. Things are very bad up there, Frau. The Angeloi have us by the throat. We don't want our children to grow up there."

"So you want to go to Mayapan, which is ruled by pagans who are fighting a civil war against godless equalists."

"It's better than staying here and being slowly killed. But we don't have much money, and travel is so difficult and expensive, Frau. It took much more than we thought to get here. Then Rudolf sees us and he is so kind. He wants to help."

"I'll bet."

"He tells me that he can get a visa for us. But...we've got no money."

"Does he know that?"

"Of course he does."

"And he is still willing to give you a visa?"

"Yes, Frau."

Alwine looked down at her drink for a moment. "And you want to know..."

"Will he keep his word, Frau?" Annina blurted out impatiently.

Alwine was still looking at her drink. "He always has, always does."

Annina looked very disturbed. She tried changing the subject. "Frau, you're a woman who's older than me. Surely you know what it is like to be long married. If someone loved you...very much, so that your happiness was the only thing in the world that he wanted and...he did a bad thing to make certain of it, could you forgive him?"

"Nobody ever loved me that much," said Alwine.

"But Alwine, if she never knew...if the man kept this bad thing locked in his heart...that would be alright, wouldn't it?"

"You want my advice?" snapped Alwine.

"Oh yes, please," said Annina.

"Go back to Frisia."

"If you knew what it means to us to be able to leave the Reich, to get to Mayapan...but if Jan should find out, he is such a boy. In many ways I am so much, so much older than he is."

Alwine got up. "Yeah, well, everybody in Casablanca has a problem. Yours may work out. Excuse me."

"Thank you, Frau," said Annina tonelessly, remaining seated as Alwine returned to the cafe.

Alwine walked among the tables, deadpanning as usual, stopping short as she saw Engelbert and Otto entering the cafe. She immediately approached them.

"Good evening," she said.

"Good evening," said Otto, "You see, we're here again."

"I take that as a great compliment to Sam," said Alwine.

To Engelbert, she said, "I suppose to you Sam means Vienna of, well, happier days."

"He does," said Engelbert, quietly, "Could we have a table close to him?"

"And as far from Schmidt as possible," added Otto.

"Well, the geography might be a little difficult to arrange..." Alwine snapped her fingers for the headwaiter. "Paul! Table thirty!"

Paul appeared immediately. "Yes, ma'am. Right this way, if you please..."

"I'll have Sam play 'As Time Goes By'," said Alwine, "It's still your favorite tune, right?"

"Thanks," said Engelbert.

They walked over to their table, where Otto ordered two light beers and Sam began playing 'As Time Goes By'.

Alwine looked in Engelbert's direction, but he didn't seem to be paying attention, so she walked over to te gambling hall. Annina rose from her seat and followed her.

Jan wasn't doing so well. He was down to three chips, and he had a panicked expression on his face.

"Do you wish to place another bet, Herr?" asked the croupier.

"No, no, maybe not," said Jan.

Alwine approached Jan. "Hey, have you tried 22 tonight? I said '22'."

Jan looked at Alwine and then at the chips in his hand. With nothing to lose, he put the chips on 22.

Alwine exchanged looks with the croupier, who knew what to do. The man spun the wheel, which landed on 22. He handed a pile of chips to Jan, who reached for it.

"Leave it there," said Alwine.

Jan hesitated, and Alwine spun the wheel. It stopped on 22 again, causing everybody to gasp. The croupier handed yet another pile of chips to Jan.

"Cash it in," said Alwine, "And don't come back. Good luck."

Jan quickly gathered up the chips and headed over to the cashier's desk with Annina, where he met Rudolf.

"Captain, may I--"

"Oh, not yet, please. Come to my office in the morning. We'll do everything business-like."

"We'll be there at six," said Jan.

"Make it ten," said Rudolf, "How happy I am for both of you. Still, it's very strange that you won...or maybe not. I'll see you in the morning."

"Thank you, Captain," said Annina, and the Frisians left.

Ivan walked over and hugged Alwine. "Boss, you've done a beautiful thing."

"Go away, you crazy Russian!" Alwine shouted, and the bartender fled.

Rudolf walked up to her. "As I suspected, you're a rank sentimentalist."

"Yeah, why?" Alwine said.

"Why do you interfere with my little romances?"

"Put it down as a gesture of love."

"I forgive you this time. But tomorrow I'll be back with another lucky lady. It will make me very happy if she loses. Ha!"

He smiled and walked into the gambling room just as Senator Otto approached her.

"Frau Alwine, may I talk with you?" he said.

"Go ahead," she replied.

"Isn't there some other place? This is rather confidential, what I have to say."

Alwine sighed. "Come up to my office."

They walked up to her office and sat down.

"There's no use our fencing around," said Alwine, "You've come about those letters, have you?"

"Yes," said Otto.

"It seems to be the general impression in Casablanca that I have those letters," said Alwine.

"Do you?"

"I will neither confirm nor deny that."

"Suppose we proceed under the assumption that you have the letters?"

"Go ahead."

"Right. You know it's very important that I get out of Casablanca. It's an honor to be fighting for a great cause and to be important to a large movement. I think you know what Engelbert's been up to. You know what it means to the work--to the lives--of thousands and thousands of people that I be free to reach Mayapan and continue my work."

"I'm not interested in politics," replied Alwine, "The problems of the world aren't in my department. I'm a saloonkeeper."

"The people in the Resistance here tell me that you have quite a record. You ran guns to royalist India against Ethiopia. You fought the Angeloi in Hispania."

"What of it?" Alwine snapped.

"Isn't it strange that you always happened to be on the side of the underdog?"

Alwine thought for a moment. "Yeah. I found that a very expensive hobby, too. But then again I was never much of a businesswoman back then."

"Are you enough of a businesswoman now to appreciate an offer of one hundred thousand marks?"

"I can appreciate it, but I can't accept it."

"Make it two hundred thousand."

"Senator, you can make it a million or three and my answer will still be the same."

"There must be some reason you won't let me have them."

At that moment, they heard the sound of dozens of male voices raised in song, prompting Alwine to get up.

"There is," she said, "I suggest you ask Engelbert."

Otto stared at her. "I bet your pardon?"

"I said, ask Engelbert."

"Engelbert?!"

The singing grew louder.

"Yeah, Engelbert," she said, walking out of the office as Otto stared at her.

Two Angeloi officers, beer mugs in hand, stood next to the piano, singing "Die Wacht am Siam" as Sam, looking uncomfortable, reluctantly played along. Everybody in the room stared at them. Then Sam stopped playing. An officer promptly pushed him off his stool and swore at him before resuming his singing.

A Resistance operative stepped forward, only for Ivan to restrain him.

Alwine and Otto had just arrived in the room and silently listened to the officers singing. Alwine wore her usual deadpan, while Otto's lips were sealed shut.

Meanwhile, the room grew quiet as a slightly drunk Schmidt got to his feet and started singing "Die Wacht am Siam" as well. But nobody else, not even the Angeloi, joined in. Rudolf had just come in from the gambling room and stood by the door.

Otto broke ranks and headed across the floor, in the direction of the orchestra. He helped Sam to his feet and led him back to the piano, as the Angeloi had all moved over to Schmidt's table.

"Play 'Gott erhalte unser Kaiser'!" Otto said. "Play it!"

Sam looked towards the steps, towards Alwine.

Alwine nodded, and Sam started to play.

As he played the first few bars, Boris jumped to his feet. "Gott erhalte Otto, den Kaiser..." he sang.

Otto joined in. "Unsern guten Kaiser Otto!"

Someone in the back added his voice, followed by a woman. Then a Resistance operative defiantly stepped forward and stood besides Otto as others stood at their tables, singing "Gott erhalte unser Kaiser."

Alwine kept looking on, her expression still the same. Rudolf, meanwhile, was faintly smiling.

By now everybody had gathered together and joined in the singing. The Angeloi and Schmidt were very conspicuous because they were so alone as the singing grew more fervent.

By the time they reached the chorus, others from other rooms had joined in--guests, waiters, bartenders, local police, etc. The chorus swelled, and the Angeloi were hardly heard. They tried to keep singing for another few seconds, but it was no use. The Angeloi song was completely smothered under the national anthem, and one by one the officers sat down, staring out resentfully toward the other tables.

Alwine's expression hadn't changed at all. Rudolf continued to smile. Everybody continued to sing, their faces all aglow. Otto led the singing from the floor, while Engelbert sang from his table. The music swelled as the song finished on a high, triumphant, and hopeful note. Boris glared over at the table where the Angeloi were seated and proudly shouted at the top of his lungs:

"Lang lebe das Romisches Reich! Lang lebe Kaiser Otto!"

Several Resistance operatives surrounded Otto, offering him drinks, while the crowd echoed Boris's shout. "Lang lebe das Romisches Reich! Lang lebe Kaiser Otto!"

I'm going to have the weirdest time when I actually watch the original after all this. :p

I'm surprised the Angeloi would even allow a bar to be considered neutral within their own territory. Seems awfully dumb to allow your enemy to openly gather right under your nose and do nothing about it. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised the Angeloi would even allow a bar to be considered neutral within their own territory. Seems awfully dumb to allow your enemy to openly gather right under your nose and do nothing about it. :rolleyes:
Probably easier than provoking all out war in the streets of Casablanca, which would totally happen if they tried to crack down given how much opposition there is. They figure it's not worth commiting large amounts of troops just to peacekeeping.

Probably easier than provoking all out war in the streets of Casablanca, which would totally happen if they tried to crack down given how much opposition there is. They figure it's not worth commiting large amounts of troops just to peacekeeping.
Also, it helps that Rudolf is blatantly corrupt and willing to look the other way if given a bag of money.:p

Chapter 349: The Visitor, Part 17

"You see what I mean?" he said, under his breath, "If this senator's presence in a cafe can inspire this unfortunate demonstration, what more will his presence in Casablanca bring on. I advise that this place be shut up at once."

"But everybody seems to be having such a good time!" protested Rudolf.

"Yes, much too good a time," said Schmidt, "The place is to be closed."

"But I've got no excuse to close it," said Rudolf.

"Find one," Schmidt snapped.

Rudolf thought for a moment and then blew his whistle, immediately quieting the room. Everybody turned to stare at Rudolf.

"Everybody is to leave here immediately!" shouted Rudolf. "This cafe is closed until further notice!"

An angry murmur started among the crowd.

"Clear the room at once!" shouted Rudolf.

Alwine walked quickly up to Rudolf. "How can you close me up?" she demanded. "On what grounds?"

Rudolf threw open the door to the gambling room and jabbed a finger inside. "I am just SHOCKED to find that there is GAMBLING going on in here! Just shocked!"

Rudolf's rare display of nerve left Alwine at a loss. The croupier came out of the gambling room and up to Rudolf, handing him a roll of bills. "Your winnings, sir."

Rudolf put the bills in his pocket. "Thank you very much. I won't press charges against you for that."

To the crowd, he said, "Everybody out at once!"

Schmidt walked over to Engelbert's and Otto's table as the other patrons filtered out of the cafe. His manner was highly cordial, but the atmosphere was tense.

"Herr," he said, "After this disturbance it is not safe for Herr Senator to stay in Casablanca."

Engelbert motioned to a chair. Schmidt bowed and sat down.

"This morning you implied it was not safe for us to leave Casablanca," said Engelbert.

"That is also true," said Schmidt, "Except for one destination."

He leaned closer to them. "To return to occupied Vienna."

"Occupied Vienna?" spat Otto.

"Yep. Under safe conduct from me. Granted, you'll be placed in custody once you set foot in Vienna, but it's a better alternative than the certain death you face here."

More police arrived and herded the crowd out through the door.

"What value is that?" demanded Otto. "You may recall what Angeloi guarantees have been worth in the past."

"There are only two other alternatives for you," replied Schmidt.

"What are they?"

"It is possible that the local provincial authorities will find a reason to put both of you in the concentration camp here."

Otto looked at him, understanding what he meant. Schmidt looked to both of them and got up, bowing again.

"Good night, Senator, Herr." He left.

The two men got up and started out.

"What happened with Alwine?" said Otto.

"We'll talk about that later," said Engelbert.

At the bar, various patrons were rapidly finishing their drinks and leaving, though one Angeloi officer stayed behind.

"Think I'll have a quick one before I go," said the officer, "What's that you're mixing?"

Ivan looked at a slip of paper. "Some new drink..."

"I'll have it." Without waiting for Ivan's response, the officer reached over and grabbed the drink, downing it in one go. He threw some change at Ivan and walked away. After a few steps a glazed expression came into his eyes. He clutched convulsively at his stomach. He ran hell-bent towards the door, trying to not vomit.

A hotel room

Engelbert and Otto entered their room, the former walking over to the window and drawing the shades. Neither of them said a word to each other. Engelbert looked outside, noticing a man across the street standing in the doorway of a hourse.

"Our faithful friend is still there," he muttered, drawing the shade again.

"Engelbert, don't go to the Resistance meeting tonight," said Otto, "It'll only make things worse."

"I have no choice but to go," said Engelbert, "And besides, it isn't often that a man can display his heroics before the Kaiser himself. Well, an exact duplicate of the Kaiser, but..."

"Don't joke," said Otto, "After Schmidt's not so subtle warning tonight, I'm really worried."

"To tell you the truth, Otto, I'm worried too," said Engelbert, "Shall I remain hiding here in a hotel room - or shall I carry on the best I can?"

"Whatever I say, you'd carry on," said Otto, "Engelbert, why don't you tell me about Alwine? What did you find out?"

"Apparently she has the letters," said Engelbert, "But no intention of selling them. One would think if sentiment wouldn't persuade him, money would. Did you talk with her?"

"She suggested I ask you."

"Ask me?"

Otto sat down. "She said, 'ask Engelbert.' I don't know why she said that."

Engelbert turned off the light switch, making the entire room dark. "I suppose that guy across the street's gone home by now."

He got up and went to the door. "Go get some sleep, Otto."

"Be careful, my friend," said Otto.

He walked out the door. Meanwhile, Otto got up and walked over to the window. He found that the man across the street was gone. He watched Engelbert walk down the street and out of sight. Then the senator sighed and walked out of the room as well.

Alwine's

Alwine and Karl were bent over ledgers, with Karl busy figuring.

"Well, you're in pretty good shape, Frau Alwine," said Karl.

"How long can I afford to stay closed?" said Alwine.

"Oh, two or three weeks," said Karl.

Alwine got up. "Maybe I won't have to. A bribe's worked before. In the meantime, everybody stays on salary."

She walked over to the door.

"Oh, thank you, Frau Alwine," replied Karl, "Ivan will be happy to hear it. I owe him money."

"Now you finish locking up, will you?" said Alwine.

"I will," said Karl, "Then I am going to the meeting of the--"

"Don't tell me where you're going," interrupted Alwine.

"I won't." Karl smiled.

"Night," said Alwine.

"Night, Frau Alwine," said Karl, .

Alwine walked out of her office towards her apartment. She opened the door and walked into the dark room, seeing a figure standing in the middle, near the beds where her son and daughter slept. She turned on the lights, revealing Engelbert standing there, facing her, his face white but determined. Alwine paused for a moment in astonishment.

"How did you get in?" demanded Alwine.

"The stairs from the street," said Engelbert.

"I told you this morning you'd come around," said Alwine, "But this is a little ahead of schedule."

With more politeness, she said, "Won't you sit down?"

Engelbert sat down. "Alwine, I had to see you."

"So we're back in Vienna again?" replied Alwine.

"Please..." said Engelbert.

"Your unexpected visit isn't connected by any chance with the letters?" said Alwine.

Engelbert remained silent.

"It seems while I have those letters, I'll never be lonely," said Alwine.

"Alwine, you can ask any price you want," said Engelbert, looking at her steadily, "But you must give me those letters."

"I went through all that with that senator friend of yours. It's no deal."

"I know how you feel about me, but I'm asking you to put your feeling aside for something more important."

"Do I have to hear again how important that senator is to winning the war?" Alwine shot back. "What an important cause he's fighting for?"

"It was your cause, too," said Engelbert, "In your own way, you were fighting for the same thing."

"I'm not fighting for anything anymore," said Alwine, "Except myself and my children. I and they are the only causes I'm interested in."

Neither of them spoke for another few seconds.

"Alwine, we loved each other once," said Engelbert, "If those days meant anything at all to you--"

"I wouldn't bring up Vienna if I were you," said Alwine harshly, "It's poor salesmanship."

"Please, please listen to me," said Engelbert, "If you knew what really happened. If you only knew the truth--"

"I wouldn't believe you, no matter what you told me," interrupted Alwine, "You'll say anything now, to get what you want."

His temper flared, with a scornful expression on his face. "You want to feel sorry for yourself, don't you? With so much at stake, all you can think of is your own feelings. One man has hurt you, and you take your revenge on the rest of the world. You say you've stopped running, but in reality you never did stop. You're still running from the fight, even now. While the rest of the world burns, you're here waiting out the apocalypse, watching everything fall apart."

His voice broke. "No, oh Alwine, I'm so sorry! But you're our last hope. If you don't help us, we'll both die here."

"What of it?" said Alwine. "I'm going to die in Casablanca anyways. It's just the spot for it Now, if you--"

She stopped short as she looked closely at Engelbert.

Engelbert drew and pointed a small revolver at her. "Alright, I tried to reason with you. I tried everything. Now I want those letters. Or I will pull this trigger. And I don't care if that compromises my mission. I will do it."

For a moment, a look of admiration came into Alwine's eyes.

"Get them for me," said Engelbert.

"Don't have to," said Alwine, reaching into her inner pocket, "I got them right here."

She held the letters in her hand.

"Put them on the table," said Engelbert.

Alwine shook her head. "No."

"For the last time, put them on the table!" Engelbert demanded.

"If Otto and the cause mean so much to you, you won't stop at anything," said Alwine, "Alright, I'll make it easier for you. Go ahead, shoot. You were a soldier once, weren't you? Aren't you an Inquisitor? Weren't you responsible for Niederung's death? You'll be doing me a favor."

Engelbert got up, still pointing the gun at Alwine. His finger rested on the trigger. It seemed as if he was summoning the nerve to press it. Then, suddenly, his hand trembled and he threw the gun on the table. He broke up, covering his face with his hands. Alwine walked over, standing closer to him. Suddenly, he flung himself into her arms.

"Alwine, I tried to stay away," said Engelbert, almost hysterically, "I thought I would never see you again, to have a second chance...that you were gone forever from my life. The day you left Vienna...if you know what I went through! If you knew how much I loved you...how much I still love you..."

He couldn't say anymore words. By now he was just crying into Alwine's arms.

Ten minutes later

Alwine stared at a window, looking out, while listening to Engelbert talking over at the table.

"After you left," said Engelbert, "The Angeloi encircled Vienna and cut off the corridor to the rest of the Reich. The conventional garrison was outnumbered and outgunned by the Angeloi tagmata stationed around the city. Innitzer tasked me and the rest of the Inquisition with developing unconventional defenses for the city. I can't go into details, but I can say that they worked for a long time. Only in January when half of the conventional garrison defected did Vienna fall. In the fall of Vienna the entire Inquisition was destroyed trying to escape. They captured Innitzer. The only survivors were myself and a couple other Inquisitors. We've been hiding in my apartment ever since."

"And then?"

"Then, in March, Constantinople fell, and he showed up."

"Otto. He's not really a Habsburg, is he?"

"It's complicated."

"He's the Kaiser, isn't it? I recognized the voice and the face."

"No, he's not our Kaiser. He just looks, acts, thinks, and speaks like him. But to the rest of the world, he is the Kaiser."

"That's why he's so important. He's going to, what, get the Soviets to intervene on our behalf?"

"Basically."

"That's a stupid plan. You can't trust the equalists. They'll just take whatever land they can seize from the Angeloi and not let go of it."

"We have no choice. It's either that or imminent destruction by the Angeloi. We can't save everybody. But this way we can save as many as we can."

"Huh," said Alwine, "But it's still a story without an ending."

She stared at him directly. "What about now?"

"Now?" said Engelbert. "I don't know. I know that I'll never have the strength to go away from you again."

"And Otto?"

"You'll help me now, Alwine, won't you? You'll see we get out?"

Alwine nodded.

"Then we'll have our work," said Engelbert, "All that we've been working for."

"All except one," said Alwine, "You won't have me."

"I can't fight it anymore," said Engelbert, "I left you once. I can't do it again. I don't know what's right any longer. You'll have to think for both of us, for all of us."

"Alright, I will," said Alwine, raising a glass, "Here's looking at us."

"I wish I didn't love you so much," Engelbert whispered.

They both heard a noise. Alwine put her glass down and went to the door, followed by Engelbert.

Outside

Otto and Karl made their way through the darkness towards Alwine's. The headlights of a speeding car swept towards them, and they flattened themselves against a wall to avoid detection. The lights moved past them after a few seconds, and they continued down the alley.

"I think we lost them," said Karl.

"I'm afraid they caught some of the others," said Otto.

"Come inside," said Karl.

They snuck inside and headed over to the bar. Both were out of breath from their exertion.

"I'll get some water," said Karl.

Alwine's apartment

Both of them heard voices below. Alwine moved closer to the door. Engelbert, his face full of anxiety, motioned to her to stop, but she didn't. She walked through the door and down the stairs to the cafe.

"Karl, what are you doing here?" she demanded.

Karl and Otto looked up.

"Frau Alwine, the police, they broke up our meeting!" Karl explained. "We barely escaped before they started rounding up the other Resistance members!"

He indicated with his fingers the tiniest margin.

"Come up here," said Alwine.

"Yes, Boss," said Karl.

As they walked up the stairs, Alwine said, "I want you to put out the light at the rear entrance. It might attract police."

"But Ivan always put out the light before..."

"Tonight he forgot," Alwine cut in.

"Yes, I will do it, then," said Karl.

They stepped into the hallway near her apartment. Alwine jerked her head towards the door. "I want you to take Herr Engelbert and his friend to where they need to go."

Karl nodded and went to the door.

Alwine went back downstairs to Otto, who was wrapping a small bar towel around a bruise on his wrist.

"It's nothing," said Otto, "Just a little bruise. We had to run through a doorway."

He buttoned his cuff down over the towel to hold it in place as Alwine reached behind the bar and took out a bottle of beer, pouring some into a glass and pushing it in Otto's direction.

"This might come in handy," said Alwine.

"Thanks." Otto drank the whole glass in one swallow.

Alwine poured one for herself. "Had a close one, eh?"

"Yeah, rather," said Otto.

"Don't you sometimes wonder if it's all worth this?" Alwine asked.

Otto stared at her.

"I mean, what you're fighting for?" she clarified.

"We might as well question why we breathe," replied Otto, "If we stop breathing, we die. If we stop resisting, the world will die. That's what Engelbert told me when I asked the same question to him."

"What of it?" countered Alwine. "Then it'll be out of its misery."

"Do you know how you sound, Frau Alwine?" said Otto. "Like a woman trying to convince herself of something that in her heart she doesn't believe. Each of us has a destiny. A destiny for good or evil."

"Yes, I get the point," said Alwine dryly.

With the bottle in hand, she walked around to the front of the bar.

"I wonder if you do," said Otto, "I wonder if you know that you're trying to escape from yourself and that you'll never succeed."

Alwine stared at Otto again and then sat down at a table, pouring herself another drink.

"You seem to know all about my 'destiny'," she said ironically.

"I know a great deal more about you than you suspect," said Otto, "I know, for instance, that you are in love with a man."

Alwine, who had lifted her glass to drink from, put it down and stared at Otto, who stood facing her from the bar.

"Funny how we have to deal with the same man," said Otto, cracking a little smile, "It is perhaps a strange coincidence that the same man means so much to both of us, though for different reasons."

Alwine straightened her chair and watched Otto closely. The senator got up and walked over to her table.

"I knew there was something between you and Engelbert the first evening I came to this place," he said, "Since nobody is to blame, I don't want any explanations. I ask only one thing."

He sat down. "You will not give me the letters. But I want you to be happy...I ask you as a favor to use the letters to go with Engelbert and leave Casablanca to rebuild your family."

Alwine stared at Otto incredulously. "Are you mad?" she spat.

"Apparently you think of me as just the hope of the Resistance," said Otto, "Well, I'm also a human being...I just want you to be happy, to give you and Engelbert a second chance--"

At that moment, there was a sharp knock on the front door, and several policemen stormed inside and surrounded them.

"What is the meaning of this?" Alwine demanded.

"Herr Otto?" said one of the officers.

"Yeah," said Otto.

"You will come with us," said the officer, "You are under arrest."

"On what charges?" Otto demanded.

"Captain Rudolf will discuss that with you later," replied the officer.

Otto looked at Alwine, who smiled ironically. "It seems 'destiny' has taken a hand," she said.

In dignified silence, Otto crossed over to the policemen and walked with them out the door.

Rudolf's office, half an hour later

"You don't have any actual proof, and you know it," said Alwine, "This isn't Germania or Gallia. The only thing you have is an report from Schmidt telling you he ought to be arrested. All you can do under the law is fine him thirty thousand marks and give him thirty days."

Rudolf shrugged.

"You might as well let him go," said Alwine.

"Alwine," said Rudolf, "I would advise you not to be too interested into what happens to Otto. If by any chance you were to help him escape..."

Alwine decided to divert his attention. "What makes you think I'd stick out my next for Otto?"

"Because one, you bet ten thousand marks that he will escape, and two, you have the letters. Don't bother trying to deny it. And well, you might do it because you don't like Schmidt. To be honest with you, I don't like him either. But needs must."

"Well, those are all excellent reasons," said Alwine.

"Don't count too much on my friendship, Alwine," said Rudolf, "In this matter, I am powerless. And I might lose ten thousand marks."

"You're not very subtle, but you are effective, and I get the point," said Alwine, grinning as she knew that Rudolf had fallen for the diversion.

Now it was time to confuse him even more. "Yes, I have the letters, but I intend to use them for myself and my family. I'm leaving Casablanca on tonight's plane, the last plane."

"What?!" shouted Rudolf, not realizing that there were only enough letters for herself and one other individual.

"And I'm taking a friend with me," said Alwine, "One you'd appreciate."

"Who?"

Alwine grinned. "Engelbert Dolfuss."

Rudolf was incredulous.

"That ought to put your mind to rest about me helping Otto escape. The last one I want to see in Mayapan."

"You did not come here to tell me that," said Rudolf, "You have the letters. You could have left anytime you wanted and taken him with you! Why are you still interested in what happens to Otto?"

"I'm not. But I am interested in what happens to me and Engelbert. We have a legal right to go, but people have been held here regardless of their legal rights."

"What makes you think we want to hold you?"

"Engelbert is assigned to protect Otto. He knows a great deal that Schmidt would like to know. Ludwig, I'll make a deal with you. Instead of the petty charge you've got against him you can get something really big, something that would put him in prison for years if not get him immediately executed. That would be quite a feather in your cap, wouldn't it?"

"It most certainly would. The Reich...I mean, the Imperium would be grateful."

"Then release him and be at my place half an hour before the plane leaves. I'll arrange for Otto to come for the letters. That'll give you the grounds to arrest him again. You get him, we get away. To the Angeloi that will only be a minor annoyance."

Rudolf was a bit puzzled. "There's something I don't understand about this business. You see, Engelbert is a good man, if you take away the Resistance work and other undesirable qualities. But you were never interested in any man."

"Well, he's not just any man. And I was married once."

"I see. How do I know you'll keep your end of the bargain?"

"I'll make the arrangements with Otto right now in the visitor's room."

Rudolf chuckled. "Alwine, I'm going to miss you. Apparently you're the only one in Casablanca that has even less scruples than I."

"Thanks," said Alwine dryly.

"Go ahead, Alwine," said Rudolf.

Alwine rose from her chair. "Oh, by the way, call off your watchdogs when you let him go. I don't want them around. I'm taking no chances, Ludwig--not even with you."

A few minutes later, Alwine sat in the visitor's room as a guard led Otto into the room. The senator looked coldly at Alwine and seated himself, while the guard left the room.

Alwine faced Otto for a few tense seconds and then leaned over the table.

"I don't have much time," she whispered, "I've tricked Rudolf into getting you released."

"Thank you..." began Otto.

"I've decided to let you have the letters."

Otto nodded. "Very well."

"Better get down to my cafe a few minutes before the plane leaves."

"They'll shadow me."

"I've taken care of that as well."

"And Engelbert?"

"Bring him with you all ready to leave."

"Frau Alwine--"

"Skip it," said Alwine, "This is strictly a matter of business."

She left the room.

Meanwhile, Rudolf listened to Alwine's conversation from his office using a sort of dictaphone. He smiled broadly. Not a malevolent smile like Schmidt would have, but a broad genuine smile.

Lunati's office

"Shall we draw up papers, or is our handshake good enough?" said Lunati.

Alwine got out of her chair. "It's certainly not good enough, but since I'm in a hurry, it'll have to do."

They shook hands, and Lunati sighed enviously. "Oh, to get out of Casablanca, to go to Mayapan...you are a lucky woman."

"Oh, by the way--Sam comes with me. That still stands."\

"Got it."

"And Karl and Ivan--they'll share joint ownership with you, or I don't sell."

"Of course they will, or it wouldn't be Alwine's."

"So long." Alwine walked to the door before stopping and turning. "Don't forget, you own Alwine's a hundred crates of Austrian beer."

Lunati smiled. "I shall remember to pay it to myself."

Alwine walked away.

Alwine's

The establishment's neon sign was turned off and the door was closed shut, covered by a large placard reading "CLOSED BY ORDER OF THE PREFECT OF POLICE." Rudolf walked up to the door and knocked on it.

Alwine opened the door. "You're late."

"I was informed when Otto was about to leave the hotel, so I knew I would be on time," replied Rudolf.

"I thought I asked you to tie up your watchdogs."

"He won't be followed here." Rudolf looked around the empty cafe and sighed. "You know, this place won't be the same without you, Alwine."

"Yeah, I know what you mean, but I've already spoken with Lunati. You'll still win at roulette."

Rudolf smiled. "Is everything ready?"

Alwine tapped her pocket. "I've got the letters right here."

"Tell me. When we searched the place, where were they?"

"In Sam's piano."

"Serves me right for not being musical!"

They heard the sound of a car pulling up.

"Here they are," said Alwine, "You'd better wait in my office."

As Rudolf walked towards the office, Otto paid the cab driver and Engelbert walked towards the entrance.

Alwine opened the door to let Engelbert in.

Otto walked inside. "Frau Glienke. I don't know how to thank you."

"Oh, save it," replied Alwine, "We've still got lots of things to do."

She took out the letters. "I've got the letters right here. All you have to do are sign your names on them."

She handed the letters to Otto and Engelbert, who took them gratefully.

"OTTO VON HOHENZOLLERN!" shouted Rudolf from the office.

All of them wheeled towards the office door as Rudolf stormed into the cafe, his gun drawn and pointed at them.

"Kaiser Otto von Hohenzollern, you are under arrest..." said Rudolf.

Both men had been caught completely off-guard and speechless. They turned towards Alwine, horror in Otto's eyes.

"On a charge of high treason and conspiracy to sell government and military secrets to enemies of the state," said Rudolf.

He noticed their surprised expressions. "Oh, you are surprised about my friend, Alwine? The explanation is quite simple. Love, it seems, has triumphed over virtue. Love is a weakness, a downfall, for even the best of men. Good has triumphed once again over evil. Thank--"

The situation obviously delighted Rudolf. He laughed as he turned towards Alwine, upon which the laughter suddenly died in his throat.

Alwine had another gun, pointed at Rudolf's head.

"Not so fast, Ludwig," said Alwine, "Nobody's going to be arrested. Not for a while yet."

Rudolf stared open-mouthed at her. "Are you mad?!"

"Maybe," said Alwine, "Sit down over there. Give me your gun."

Rudolf hesitated as Engelbert sighed with relief. He walked towards Alwine. "Put that gun down," he pleaded, "There's no need to be so hysterical--"

Alwine did not retreat a single step. "Ludwig, I wouldn't like to shoot you, but I will if you take one more step."

Rudolf halted and studied her. Then he shrugged. "Fine, I'll sit down."

He walked to a table, sat down, pushed his gun in Alwine's direction, and reached into his pocket.

"Keep you hands on the table!" shouted Alwine as she pocketed his gun.

Rudolf took out a cigarette case. "I suppose you know what you're doing, but I wonder if you realize what this means?"

"Oh yes I do," said Alwine, "We'll have plenty of time to discuss that later."

"Call off your watchdogs, you said!" shouted Rudolf.

Alwine took a phone on a long cord and pushed it in Rudolf's direction. "Just the same, call the airport and let me hear you tell them. And remember, if you try to tip them off I will put a bullet right between your eyes."

"That is my least vulnerable spot," said Rudolf as he dialed the phone, "Hello, airport? Captain Rudolf speaking. There'll be two letters for the New Peten plane. There's to be no trouble about them. Good."

Schmidt's office

Meanwhile, Obergruppenfuhrer Schmidt listened into Rudolf's conversation. "Hello, hello..." he muttered.

He pushed a buzzer on his desk, and an officer appeared at his door. "My car, quickly!" he ordered.

The officer saluted. "The Angeloi protect! Zu nofehl, Herr Obergruppenfuhrer."

The officer exited as Schmidt dialed another number. "This is Obergruppenfuhrer Schmidt...Have a squad of police meet me at the airport at once. At once! Do you hear?"

Without waiting for a response, he hung up, grabbed his hat, and ran out the door.

Airport

The beacon of the radio tower slowly revolved its light, dimmed by a heavy fog rolling in from the Atlantic. The plane was barely visible on the runway. Near its open door stood a small group of people and boxes of equipment and supplies. A car pulled up to the open door of a nearby hanger, near where a uniformed orderly talked on the phone.

"Hello, radio tower," he said, "New Peten plane taking off in ten minutes...Thank you."

He hung up and walked towards the car. The car door opened, and he saluted as he recognized Rudolf getting out, closely followed by Alwine, who still had her gun pointed at him. Otto and Engelbert got out from the rear of the car.

The orderly, who was with the Resistance, quickly picked up Otto and Engelbert's luggage and carried it to the plane, Otto following him. Alwine handed the letters to Rudolf.

"If you don't mind, Ludwig, you fill in the names," she said, smiling, "That will make it even more official."

"You think of everything." He took out a pen and put the papers on the fender of the car.

"The names are Senator Otto von Habsburg and Herr Engelbert Dolfuss," said Alwine, quietly.

Both Engelbert and Rudolf looked at Alwine with astonishment.

"But why Otto, Alwine?" said Engelbert. "Aren't you going with me?"

"Because he's getting on that plane," said Alwine, "And you're going with him to protect him."

"But I...I don't understand. What about you?"

"I'm staying here with him until the plane gets safely away."

Engelbert understood what Alwine was saying. "No, Alwine! What happened to you? We said--"

"We said many good things," Alwine interrupted, "You said I was to do the thinking for both of us after Ullrich died. Well, I've done a lot of it since then and it all adds up to one thing. Both of you are getting on that plane and finishing your mission."

"But Alwine, no, I, I--"

"Now you've got to listen to me. Do you have any idea what you'd have to look forward to if you stay here and Otto goes alone? Nine chances out of ten we're all captured by the Angeloi and killed. Is that true, Ludwig?"

Rudolf finished signing the papers. "I'm afraid that Obergruppenfuhrer Schmidt would insist..."

"You're saying this only to make me go," said Engelbert.

"I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us we both know you must finish your mission and save the Reich. You're part of his work. The thing that keeps him alive, allows him to keep going without fear of being compromised. If that plane leaves and one of you stays here, you'll regret it, because you know that the mission will fail without you to protect him."

"No."

"Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life."

For a moment, Engelbert couldn't answer. He was that honest. He looked at her. "But what about us?" he said.

"We'll always have Vienna," said Alwine, "We didn't have it--we'd lost it--until you came to Casablanca. We got it back when we had our little chat."

"And I said I would never leave you!" shouted Engelbert.

Alwine took Engelbert by the shoulders. "And you never will. But you and I have jobs to do, too. Where I'm going you can't follow--what I've got to do--you can be no part of. Where you're going I can't follow--what you've got to do--I can be no part of. I'm not good at being noble, Engelbert--but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount ot a hill of beans in this mad world. Someday you'll understand that. But maybe not now."

She smiled. "Go save the Reich. Here's looking at us."

"Everything is in order?" said Otto, walking nearby.

"All except one thing," said Alwine, "There's something you should know before you leave."

"Frau Alwine, I did not ask you to explain anything," replied Otto.

"I'm going to, anyway, because it may make a difference to you later on. You said you knew about Engelbert and me."

"Yes," said Otto.

"But you didn't know that he was at my place earlier this evening. He came over for the letters. Isn't that true, Engelbert?"

"Yeah," said Engelbert.

"He tried everything to get them," said Alwine, her voice more harsh, nearly brutal, "But nothing else worked. He did his best to convince me he was still in love with me, but that was over long ago."

Otto nodded. "I understand, but your relationship with him is your business."

"That doesn't mean I can't tell you," said Alwine, handing Engelbert and Otto the letters. "Here they are."

"Thanks," said Otto, "I appreciate it. Welcome back to the fight. This time I know our side will win. Are you ready, my friend?"

Engelbert looked at Alwine for the last time. "Yes, I'm ready," he said, "Goodbye, Alwine. May God be with you. Tell the kids I'm sorry for everything."

"Goodbye, Engelbert," replied Alwine, "You better hurry, or you'll miss that plane."

The two men left in the direction of the plane.

"Well, I was right!" exclaimed Rudolf. "You are a sentimentalist!"

"I don't know what you're talking about," said Alwine, "Stay where you are!"

"What you just did for Otto and Engelbert," said Rudolf, "I'm a man, my friend. He knew you were lying."

"Anyway, thanks for helping me out," said Alwine, her face revealing nothing.

"I suppose you know this is not going to be pleasant for either of us," said Rudolf, "Especially for you. I will have to arrest you, of course."

"As soon as the plane goes, Ludwig," said Alwine.

Rudolf shrugged.

The plane's motors roared, and it slowly taxied down the runway. A car came speeding down the road towards Alwine and Rudolf and screeched to a halt. Schmidt got out and ran towards Rudolf.

"What was the meaning of that phone call?" he demanded.

"The Kaiser is on that plane," said Rudolf, nodding off down the field.

The plane had reached the far end of the field and was turning around, preparing to take off.

Schmidt was dazed for a moment, but he quickly recovered. "Why do you stand there?" he shouted. "Why didn't you stop him?"

"Ask Frau Alwine," said Rudolf

Schmidt made a step towards the phone, but Alwine drew her gun and pointed it at Schmidt.

"Get away from that phone!" she shouted.

The Obergruppenfuhrer stopped in his tracks, looked at Alwine, and saw that she meant business.

"I would advise you not to interfere," said Schmidt in a steely voice.

"I was willing to shoot Captain Rudolf..." said Alwine. "And I'm willing to shoot you."

The plane accelerated down the field and started to rise from the ground. Schmidt watched the plane ascend in agony as his eyes darted over towards the phone. Rudolf watched the plane with fascination. When he noticed Alwine was distracted for just a split second, he made a run for the phone and desperately grabbed the receiver.

"Hello, hello..." he said.

"Put that phone down!" shouted Alwine.

"Get me the radio tower," Schmidt said into the phone.

"Put it down!" shouted Alwine.

With one hand still on the phone, Schmidt drew a pistol with the other hand and shot quickly at Alwine. The bullet missed its mark. And yet Alwine could not bring herself to pull the trigger, despite having prepared for this moment in her mind.

And then she felt Rudolf reach into her pocket, draw his gun, and fire at Schmidt, who crumpled to the ground, blood seeping out from a wound in his right leg. The Obergruppenfuhrer screamed in agony before falling unconscoius as Rudolf put away his gun and turned back. Alwine watched as the sound of the plane grew fainter and the plane grew smaller in the distance.

At the sound of a third car approaching, both of them turned, seeing a police car coming to a stop near Rudolf. Four policemen got out and approached him.

"Obergruppenfuhrer Schmidt has been shot," said Rudolf, "Round up the usual suspects."

"Yes, Captain." The officers saluted and ran off to where Schmidt lay on the floor.

"Well, Alwine," said Rudolf, "You're not only a sentimentalist, but you've become a Resistance fighter."

"Maybe," said Alwine, "But it seemed like a good time to start. You have as well."

"I think perhaps you're right," said Rudolf, "It might be just as well for you to disappear from Casablanca. I understand that there's a loyalist garrison over in Madagascar. I might be induced to arrange passage for you and your family."

"My own exit visa?" said Alwine, smiling.

Her eyes followed the plane, which now receded into the distance over the Atlantic. "I could use a trip..." she said. "But id doesn't make any difference about our bet. You still owe me the ten thousand marks."

"And that ten thousand marks should pay our expenses," said Rudolf.

"OUR expenses?!" shouted Alwine.

"Yep," said Rudolf, "You see, I don't think the Angeloi would tolerate a police chief who shot an Obergruppenfuhrer, especially one as high-profile as Schmidt. Besides, it helps to have a soldier, especially one with still-active credentials for now, to protect a woman and her children and pull a few strings. I don't think Sam has any military training, does he?"

"Besides a brief stint in the Malian army twenty years ago, no," said Alwine, "I guess you're one of us now, then."

Rudolf nodded. "It sort of feels good to be on the side of the underdog."

Alwine smiled as they got back into the car, herself behind the wheel. "We'll just be friends, okay?"

"That will work," said Rudolf.

"I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," said Alwine, gunning the throttle like she used to when she was with Engelbert in Vienna.

They drove off, back into Casablanca, for the last time.

Well, that was...

Imagine filing the paperwork in order to arrest your emperor from another timeline.