• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
3) Where are the border colours of a province defined? I have some how ended up with my new provinces individually coloured, but all of their borders are black and white...
The border colour is automatically generated using the main colours in the the coat of arms file (i.e. the "flag"). If you have a pure white "flag" the border will be solid white for example. I'm not entirely sure how it determines which colours are the main ones but it seems to to a pretty good job.

Ooh, I fixed it! Turns out the issue was the converter creating a whole bunch of duplicate province files with the Mongol Khanate as its owner.

The border colour is automatically generated using the main colours in the the coat of arms file (i.e. the "flag"). If you have a pure white "flag" the border will be solid white for example. I'm not entirely sure how it determines which colours are the main ones but it seems to to a pretty good job.

Awesome to know, thank-you!

Edit: I have an issue with my Kingdom: all the Provinces and Duchies appear to be registering correctly in terms of their places on the map, but when I click the 'Create Title' icon at the top, the camera zooms to the lower-left corner. Having given myself the Provinces one-by-one via console, there does not appear to be any out of place. Any idea what might be wrong? - Solved

Edit 2: I just noticed one of my Provinces is using the wrong flag, too. I have checked the files, and a flag exists for all of my new Provinces, Duchies, Kingdoms and Empires. And I cannot see any noticeable difference between how this Province is set up and the others... It is the second of a Duchy of 3, and the last Duchy in that particular Kingdom, if that might help? - Solved

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I should post this here, or make a new thread. I edited two files (old_frankish.txt, c_arques.txt) to make the last Merovingian alive again and made him the count of Rouen. It works fine if I just edit the core files, but having to move the original files back and forth if I want to play Ironman gets annoying so I thought I'd make it into a mod. I followed the steps in the Wiki to create a Merovingian mod. It shows up in the launcher, but in game it didn't seem to take the change. I followed the folder structure so it is the same as the CK2 folder (history/characters, and history/titles). Any ideas? Thanks.

I'm not sure if I should post this here, or make a new thread. I edited two files (old_frankish.txt, c_arques.txt) to make the last Merovingian alive again and made him the count of Rouen. It works fine if I just edit the core files, but having to move the original files back and forth if I want to play Ironman gets annoying so I thought I'd make it into a mod. I followed the steps in the Wiki to create a Merovingian mod. It shows up in the launcher, but in game it didn't seem to take the change. I followed the folder structure so it is the same as the CK2 folder (history/characters, and history/titles). Any ideas? Thanks.
We'd need to see some stuff. Best to show us the content of your *.mod file, and the directory structure in your mod folder.

http://imgur.com/a/m7tDU

That is my file structure and the .mod file. I haven't modded it before so I was just following the steps on the Wiki.
By replacing the paths I'd have thought that you would have effectively removed all of the other files in the vanilla titles and characters folders, so I'm surprised the only issue is that the changes aren't taking hold (every title should be missing its history and almost every character should be missing). You said the mod shows up in the launcher; I assume you activated it (by ticking the box next to it).

By replacing the paths I'd have thought that you would have effectively removed all of the other files in the vanilla titles and characters folders, so I'm surprised the only issue is that the changes aren't taking hold (every title should be missing its history and almost every character should be missing). You said the mod shows up in the launcher; I assume you activated it (by ticking the box next to it).

I see what you're saying. No everything works normally in game as if the mod isn't activated. Yeah I did check it off. Can I just tell it to replace those two files within those folders or do I have to copy every file within those folders? Like can I have replace_path = "history/characters/old_frankish.txt" ? Would that be valid? Like this... http://imgur.com/9lq8gSR

I see what you're saying. No everything works normally in game as if the mod isn't activated. Yeah I did check it off. Can I just tell it to replace those two files within those folders or do I have to copy every file within those folders? Like can I have replace_path = "history/characters/old_frankish.txt" ? Would that be valid?
I'm not sure. It's been a while since I did any folder-based modding (I currently use a zip file instead). You used to have to add the line extend = "<folder>" but I think that's obsolete these days and it simply reads the folder structure. replace_path = "history/characters/old_frankish.txt" would not work.

I'm not sure. It's been a while since I did any folder-based modding (I currently use a zip file instead). You used to have to add the line extend = "<folder>" but I think that's obsolete these days and it simply reads the folder structure. replace_path = "history/characters/old_frankish.txt" would not work.

That's what I figured. Also it doesn't seem to work either way, with or without replace_path = . Any ideas on how else could I do this without moving the original files back and forth?

That's what I figured. Also it doesn't seem to work either way, with or without replace_path = . Any ideas on how else could I do this without moving the original files back and forth?

Don't use replace_path in your mod, just:
- overwrite c_arques.txt with your modified version (no choice here because the name of the file matters)
- add your extra characters in a new history/characters/ .txt file (doesn't have to be old_frankish.txt, unless you want to modify a vanilla character)

Does anyone happen to know exactly what is scoped by the any_close_relative scope? I've tried testing it myself, but the results are a bit... unclear. Obviously it covers parents, siblings, and children. But does it check further than that, grandparents for instance?

Sorry for yet another set of questions :/

Does 'is_active_trigger' ever show in-game as true?
I have this in my building script :

is_active_triggger = {
OR = {
any_neighbor_province = {
has_building = tribal_building_1
}
}
}

and although the building is working, it's still showing as 'X' for the requirement in the ToolTip; I plan to condition it based on also including the other Holding Types later, so am just wondering if this will impact...

Also, is there a way to modify a building's effect based on conditions?
What I would like is...

0 Neighbouring Provinces have building = Effect = 0
1 Neighbouring Province has building = Effect +1
2 Neighbouring Provinces have building = Effect +2

so that the building's 'power' is influenced by what is around it.

Thanks again for any info! :)

Hello everybody!
I'm actually searching a way to create alliances by history files (so, at certain dates, some realms will be allied or not).
But i can't find out how to do it, does anybody have clues about it? Or maybe i just need to trigger them at start?

Thanks!

Sorry for yet another set of questions :/

Does 'is_active_trigger' ever show in-game as true?
I have this in my building script :

and although the building is working, it's still showing as 'X' for the requirement in the ToolTip; I plan to condition it based on also including the other Holding Types later, so am just wondering if this will impact...

Also, is there a way to modify a building's effect based on conditions?
What I would like is...

so that the building's 'power' is influenced by what is around it.

Thanks again for any info! :)
You've got an extra g in is_active_trigger. As for changing building effects based on conditions, no. You'd have to add a province modifier to achieve that.

Don't use replace_path in your mod, just:
- overwrite c_arques.txt with your modified version (no choice here because the name of the file matters)
- add your extra characters in a new history/characters/ .txt file (doesn't have to be old_frankish.txt, unless you want to modify a vanilla character)

Ok, so what you're saying is my only real choice is to modify the two files within the actual CK2 folder, not create a mod? Thats what I was doing before, and it's an annoyance to move files back and forth, but it does seem like the only way to do what I want.

If not, how can I have my mod overwrite c_arques.txt and old_frankish.txt? I tried removing replace_path, but it still doesn't keep the changes. What should my .mod file look like? Currently it's:

name = “Mero”
path = "mod/Mero”

What else needs to be there so it overwrites those two files? They're both in the Mero folder. Thanks!

No, you make copies of the two files in your mod (using the same names as the vanilla files), and make the changes there.

Ok, so what you're saying is my only real choice is to modify the two files within the actual CK2 folder, not create a mod? Thats what I was doing before, and it's an annoyance to move files back and forth, but it does seem like the only way to do what I want.

If not, how can I have my mod overwrite c_arques.txt and old_frankish.txt? I tried removing replace_path, but it still doesn't keep the changes. What should my .mod file look like? Currently it's:

name = “Mero”
path = "mod/Mero”

What else needs to be there so it overwrites those two files? They're both in the Mero folder. Thanks!

No, you make copies of the two files in your mod (using the same names as the vanilla files), and make the changes there.
To be clear, simply do what you were doing before but remove the replace_path lines. That should work. If it doesn't then there is some other issue. You say that the mod shows up in the launcher and that you have checked the box next to it to enable it. Other than that I can't think of anything that you would need to do.

I wonder if there is some peculiarity of running it on OS X. I did a little searching and found a thread (from 2012) where someone on OS X was able to get mods to display in the launcher but they didn't do anything. Where exactly is your mod folder?

create_character can take father=<scope> mother=<scope>. I would assume (dangerous) that it generates traits from them as normal. In that case, I wouldn't even bother trying to copy the traits of the original child. You might need to test this to make sure it works that way. Otherwise, copying the traits would indeed be a pain (and would make your mod uncooperative with any mod that adds/removes traits…).
After tinkering with that for several hours, I can't get it to work.
Can't figure out the syntax for the 'father = <scope>' and 'mother = <scope>'. No matter what I try, it always just logs the same error: "[effectimplementation.cpp:2900]: Assert failed for 'set_mother': pMother->IsFemale()". I'm not sure if those work at all. Can't find any instances in the vanilla files, nor in any mods that I have.

Set_mother and set_father work fine if added afterwards through new_character, but that won't help with trait inheritance. Or with appearance. Randomly generated children don't look much like their (new) parents.

Last edited:
What <scope>s have you tried on the right-hand side? There are only limited possibilities that would work.