• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #15 - Fallen Empires

Hello and happy new year! I’ll be your substitute Doomdark for today and in this week’s dev diary we’ll take a closer look at Fallen Empires.

The galaxy is vast, old and unknown. New species constantly flare into existence and some are even able to take their first cautious steps towards other stars. Of those that do some are arrogant enough to assume that they are the first and only chosen. They fail to realize that others may have taken those same steps before them, others who have found amazing wonders and unraveled their secrets, others who reached the furthest edges of knowledge only to crumble away. Those others are called Fallen Empires.

These are once-glorious empires that for unknown reasons have stagnated and often fallen to infighting or crippling apathy. That which once covered hundreds of systems have shrunk to a fraction, barely held on to by superior technology and what little remains of a once glorious fleet. Fallen Empires are isolationist and will look at newer species with disinterest or outright contempt. Diplomatic attempts are futile and they will most likely attack any unknown ships entering one of their remaining systems.

stellaris_dev_diary_14_01_20160104_diplomatic_contact.jpg

The response of Fallen Empires vary greatly when approached. It is rarely friendly though.

Design Reasoning

We’ve added Fallen Empires to the game for a couple of reasons. They have the potential to enable some really cool stories and there is a bunch of different directions we can take to ensure players get a different experience from game to game. Players should never feel confident in how a Fallen Empire may react to different events in the galaxy. If left alone they might resurge as a reaction to a galaxy-wide threat or become outraged when their most holy planets are colonized by lesser races.

Gameplay-wise the Fallen Empires can act as a potential source of advanced technology for players willing to invest the military forces required to defeat one of their fleets in battle. In Stellaris, all ships destroyed in combat will leave debris behind and through reverse engineering a player may discover the technologies required to build the weapons and components equipped by those ships. Players can also invade planets belonging to Fallen Empires, allowing them to utilize whatever advanced buildings placed there. This of course means dealing with a new species within the Empire.
While the rewards may be tempting, players may want to consider the risks before attacking a Fallen Empire. Who knows what horrors they have unearthed during the ages, what forbidden secrets their planets hold within, what captives might be unleashed should their wardens be struck down.

stellaris_dev_diary_14_02_20160104_fallen_empire.jpg

Fallen Empires will use a separate series of models for their ships and stations.

Next week the good Goosecreature will be back with a dev diary on the events and mishaps that may befall colonies and their inhabitants. Until then!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
the more i hear about the game, the more i hope it can live up to expectations, and the more i want to play.

One thing i like about this, is even if you cant tag switch, it would be neat to play a game, become an empire, get beaten down, and then while broken, began a rebuilding process to attain greatness once again.

Reactions:
Kosh-Naranek-babylon-5-10955700-438-648.jpg

"u wot m8"

Bah, the Vorlons were in no way "fallen". They were just playing with the younger races. The Shadows on the other hand...

Reactions:
You are not yet ready.
4802531_700b_v1.jpg

About the fasces use by aliens, it is not impossible (at least without the axe perhaps) considering how many human cultures have independently come with similar thing as unity symbol.
I would imagine sticks would be popular and recurring item in the course of evolution of any tool-using intelligent species.

Reactions:
The Vorlons presented as fallen empire.
  • anicent
  • technologically advanced, but don't progress
  • cryptic
  • belittling of young races
  • explode anyone who comes into their space
That they took far more of an interest in galactic politics than their external demeanour would suggest would not have been apparent to any of the younger races as the series begins. Just like the fallen empires *appear* to be cryptic grumpy hermits to the player has the game begins

*spooky music*

Reactions:
Why are aliens using such a specifically designed Terran symbol? I mean, stars and shields and other generic things like that could be common enough, but an axe behind a bundle of sticks like that? It seems a bit odd.
I thought the exact same thing. Of course, it's possible aliens might use axes too. But it still seems odd. Distinctly human symbols should be excluded from the pool of symbols for precursor races (but not for other aliens).

Reactions:
There is no doubt. I am going to love the heck out of this game. I may never need to buy another 4X game again except for Stellaris DLC and Stellaris 2, 3, 4, etc.

Reactions:
Of course, it's possible aliens might use axes too.

It's almost guaranteed that any alien with comparable limbs will have invented and used an axe, mace or sword. There's only so many effective ways to shape metal into killy bits.

And I'd much prefer the aliens using "human" symbols over non-descriptive gibberish.

Reactions:
It's almost guaranteed that any alien with comparable limbs will have invented and used an axe, mace or sword. There's only so many effective ways to shape metal into killy bits.
When you take into account differences in biology and planetary environments there is no reason to assume an alien axe would look similar to a human axe. Nevermind developing a symbol that looks identical to a human symbol.

And I'd much prefer the aliens using "human" symbols over non-descriptive gibberish.
Doesn't justify going to the other extreme and using symbols with ultra-specific human meanings. I suppose next they should use the Hammer & Sickle or a Celtic Cross as an alien symbol. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions:
About the use of the fasces as a symbol, there is only one logical explanation:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0888496/

But seriously, how is the backstory of a Fallen Empire handled? Is it randomly generated, and has it got any direct impact on gameplay (as in, for example, Master of Orion 2, where the Antarans attack the player regularly once in a few turns)?

Reactions:
That little "6 errors" window though :D.... Nah I am nitpicking... Great dev diary as usual!

Indeed.Vorlons were at the zenith.

Noobs

Though I agree wiuth Tim_Ward further up, how about the Centauri Republic? They were once great, were clearly on the decline when the Narns bitch slapped them, and by 2258 are a weak, decadent nation dreaming of better days until they were "awoken" by Londo. Basically what I'm saying is I will have the babies of the first person to make a good Babylon 5 mod

Reactions: