Augustus - Teaser #9 - 4th of August 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm convinced that this game is going to involve some kind of tactical battle scenarios. Terrain is important and now leaders are important. Is there any alternative?

rome II with leaders as hannibal barca,scipio,philips v of macedonia and battles more details,with variety in historical units and historical military organitation.

qYtz0C9.png

gbmgRNE.png

ZPDppTh.png

bpvd.png

lpvm.png

kxwz.png

lp7o.png

TW2z1Jc.png

1Do3D7t.jpg

lysCmNV.png

c705Wi5.png

khlnd3U.png
HapfhT6.png
6lyoDhx.png
NoDkjZB.png
Qm3yv1Y.png
2ONWJ1h.png
tsrkqVq.png
dBRe2E1.png
m9llmQL.png
I6c7N9x.png
76cgKqb.png
pEWByvx.png
2opn55H.png

7iko.png

g5g34dt2e1s5c5vfg.jpg

9k884e66zbkanzqfg.jpg

rsnf.png

xaq4.png

vdm3.png

x5ew.png

fb7z.png

7nl6.png

epns.png

BullGod's Unit Cards mod is awesome. Rome 2 vanilla had horrible unit cards.

So another useless hint....leaders can be important in any game....

Eh, not really. At a certain distance from Arrakis, the costs of spice supply lines starts to overcome their benefits. It is at these locations that companies and scientists will start looking for alternatives. The whole thing then becomes critically dependent on the idea that spice is the only thing enabling long distance space travel. It's a rule that's all well and good for fiction, but it does not carry over to our universe very well.

You haven't read the novels, then. Looking for alternatives is what they are doing the whole series. A combination of scientific failures and high-level interferences tend to stall the progress for a long, long time. And Spice enable space travel because it makes humans prescient and able to bend space, there isn't a technological way to travel the stars. The Dune universe is some kind of holographic universe, or one where the Copenhagen Interpretation works literally (it could very well be ours).

The more processing power becomes available, the more likely it becomes for strong AI to emerge. You are dependent on a magical rule to cause all scientists to give up on strong AI, while real life shows us that no such rule exists for any kind of innovation. There is no stopping it; someone will always be researching.

This is the simplistic Kurzweil reading on the matter. Evidence is piling up that consciousness is a non algorithmic process, so it can't be done by a classic Turing machine. Look up "computability of consciousness", if you are interested.

No it's not. If someone is an autocrat who rules over dozens of star system then they have a lot of impact. =\
Not really look back at the last century how often did the name of the guy in the Kremlin matter? How often was he just 'the guy in the kremlin'. Not to mention the man in washington. Sure we remember some of the names but far from all of them (yes we can look them up that's not my point).

A character drivne game is not about some people from time to tiem mattering it's about every leader mattering, and the truth is they don't the ones who do we remember because they stood out and actually amttered as individuals. But empires today do not stand and fall with one man.

Maybe the name Stellaris is actually a wordplay for "Stel" = swedish for stiff & Laris = a moth in the family Gelechiidae.. so in other words "Stiff Moth"

Augustus will be named Stellaris confirmed (i.e. space game confirmed?)?

Riiiiiight... Because having key positions in government/trade/religion don't give some characters more power - and more impact - than other single individuals.
Oh it does but there are plenty of key people in every government, far to many that one will matter as much as the kings and emperors of old. The governments of today rule over far to many people for one person to handle all of it. And the more he delegate the less he'll matter.

Oh it does but there are plenty of key people in every government, far to many that one will matter as much as the kingd nd emperors of old. The governments of today rule opver far to many people for one person to handle all of it. And the more he delegate the less he'll matter.
Are you saying that kings and emperors mattered less than dukes and barons, because they had to delegate more tasks to more people due to sheer vastness of their realms...?

Are you saying that kings and emperors mattered less than dukes and barons, because they had to delegate more tasks to more people due to sheer vastness of their realms...?
I'm saying they mattered less (relative to their power) than the kings who mangaed to govern their realms themselves. I also may consider that they mattered less than the greater collective of their dukes and barons. The ideas that spread through the nobility at any one given time might actually have affected the fate of the realms of our history more than the rulers who sat at the top of it all. But that is a discussion for another time.
Also if you want the individuals who formed our history post renaissance you shouldn't be talking abut kings and generals but of philosophers and scientists. But not even them matter that much as individuals, if newton had not lived then someone else would have eventually figured out the things he (suposedly) did. It may have taken a lot longer but the progress of mankind did not stand and fall even with the (suposedly) greatest genius of the last millenia. (in fact the whole romantizised ideal of the genius is causing a lot of antiintulectualism in our modern society, people are holding out for 'geniuses' rather than trusting in the scientists and the method of science).

This strong leader ideal (and the cult of personality) basically caused the second world war, and how people consider it feasible or even desirable that it return is truly frightening. It shows how little faith people today have in our modern society and ideals.

Last edited:
I'm saying they mattered less than the greater collective of dukes and barons. The ideas that spread through the nobility at any one given time might actually have affected the fate of the realms of our history more than the rulers who sat at the top of it all.
It's more complicated than that. Society is composed of individuals who band together. While the collective can have far more power than any individual, at the same time said collective is doing what the leader - elected or not - decides. While emperor could've been less powerful than some of his subjects the system itself kept them in place, because they gave him power over them and risked being swarmed by other loyal subjects. What's really curious is - this is no different in modern times.

It mattered a great deal that George Bush was elected over Al Gore. It mattered a great deal that Obama was elected over McCain. It will matter a great deal who is elected come november 2016. It also mattered when Petraeus was appointed to Afghanistan, or who got appointed in countless important and influential decisions.

If you think individuals no longer matter, that just shows you don't actually follow politics all that well and don't understand the extend to which leaders let themselves be controlled by their individual whims and emotions.

Our societies work different now than they used to, but it are still individuals who run them. It is actually an unrealistic weakness of modern games like Victoria or HoI or even EU that they abstract the nations into single indistinguishable masses, without the idiosyncrasies and fancies of actual human politicians.

And within the context of a game, individuals are also abstractions representing larger societal forces like cultural movements and parties. Which they are in real life too, to a limited extent.

I'm saying they mattered less (relative to their power) than the kings who mangaed to govern their realms themselves.

Eh... which kings managed to govern their realms themselves...? Do you really thing kings rule on their own? It's not that easy. They have to delagate power too. Not even to dukes and barons but to ministeriales too. They had officials too.

Augustus will be named Stellaris confirmed (i.e. space game confirmed?)?

Haha.. I was more refering to one of the posts further back about the trademarking name-thingie. :)

Edit: My bad, someone mentioned it in the #6, 7, 8 hint thread, and not this one.

Last edited:
From reading this thread, I guess the consensus is that it will be a space game.

Is the announcement on Day 1 of Gamescom -i.e., tomorrow (05-08-15)?

The elections being important, the portrait from yesterday's hint and this emphasis on leaders can only mean heavily character-based gameplay. So. As others have guessed: Dune?

Personally, it would be grand strategy, so I'm happy.

MrNibbles is never going to reveal anything about the game. He'll have too much fun watching the forum implode on the official announcement to ever do that.

MrNibbles is never going to reveal anything about the game. He'll have too much fun watching the forum implode on the official announcement to ever do that.

Spot on... as I mentioned earlier. I really enjoy reading everyones speculations. And yes, I will be reading the forums when the project is finally revealed.

Spot on... as I mentioned earlier. I really enjoy reading everyones speculations. And yes, I will be reading the forums when the project is finally revealed.
I don't want any spoilers but tell me this, do you think will we be surprised? Do you think it will be a pleasant surprise?