Augustus - Teaser #9 - 4th of August 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nah, it isn't. Like all fiction, it introduces arbitrary limits to the complexity of a system in order to prevent alternative outcomes. It's good for storytelling only. When looking at a play, you're not supposed to analyze the support beams of the stage. Coherence of setting is always an illusion, no matter how well crafted it is. Dune's is very well crafted, but only if you manage to completely ignore the things that would make it come down instantly. Its depiction of AI and its evolutionary pressures, for example, is problematic at best. The reliance on and rarity of spice is a nice plot device, but makes little economic sense in reality.

It makes a lot of economic sense. Without Spice there is no space travel and no communication between platens. Spice grows on just one planet. Then the whole empire is forced into preserving the status quo because a little disturbance at Arrakis could start a domino effect. It's what an economy hugely dependent on a single rare resource would look in real life.

Tbh, sci-fi as a genre has come to rely almost entirely on the non-emergence of AI, the extremely slow emergence of AI or some other arbitrary rule that nullifies its existential threat to space-humans. Even the dystopian 'humans versus robots' genre needs bogus reasons to give humans a fighting chance, however slim.

Not that unrealistic, if real life scientists have almost abandoned Strong AI as a feasible avenue of research, and are focusing on weak AIs within a problem-solving framework. Goedel knew human intelligence wasn't computable, after all.

Feudalism in Space

When is the announcment set on gamescom?
Greetings all!
Once again we will be hosting a live stream for the Gamescom 2015 Press Conference! Make sure you tune in to our Twitch channel at 21:00 (CEST) on August 6th for all the latest and greatest news from Paradox Interactive!

Schedule
20:30 - Stream begins, enjoy some relaxing music, get yourself in the mood etc
21:00 - 21:30 CEST - Press conference!
21:30 - 22:00 CEST - Q&A with the various developers and Paradox staff

Trust me when I say that this will be an awesome stream that you don't want to miss ;)!

Space game with character-interaction confirmed!

Let's just hope they base it on some good sci-fi literature. Not like that shallow Space game called Civilization Beyond Earth.
Too bad that won't happen, as this is a new IP, as in intellectual property. So it must be something PI owns and not something they only have rights to.

Too bad that won't happen, as this is a new IP, as in intellectual property. So it must be something PI owns and not something they only have rights to.
I said BASED on some good sci-fi literature --meaning they take inspiration from it.

rome II with leaders as hannibal barca,scipio,philips v of macedonia and battles more details,with variety in historical units and historical military organitation.

qYtz0C9.png

gbmgRNE.png

ZPDppTh.png

bpvd.png

lpvm.png

kxwz.png

lp7o.png

TW2z1Jc.png

1Do3D7t.jpg

lysCmNV.png

c705Wi5.png

khlnd3U.png
HapfhT6.png
6lyoDhx.png
NoDkjZB.png
Qm3yv1Y.png
2ONWJ1h.png
tsrkqVq.png
dBRe2E1.png
m9llmQL.png
I6c7N9x.png
76cgKqb.png
pEWByvx.png
2opn55H.png

7iko.png

g5g34dt2e1s5c5vfg.jpg

9k884e66zbkanzqfg.jpg

rsnf.png

xaq4.png

vdm3.png

x5ew.png

fb7z.png

7nl6.png

epns.png

Last edited:
rome II with leaders as hannibal barca,scipio,philips v of macedonia and battles more details,with variety in historical units and historical military organitation.

If it's Rome... I'm very disappointed that the portraits (the hint yesterday) are absolutelly unfitting for the antiquity.

Character driven is so unrealistic in modern and futuristic games. With so many billion people the impact of a single individual is less it's as simple as that. Anyone who belive otherwise is deluding themselves (and usually falling into the trap of romantizism). I don't mind such games but it has been suggested this is to become one of the big games of paradox so you should listen to yourself when you said that character driven doesn't work for the periods of EU4 and Vic2. Well truth is it worlks less well the closer to modern times you draw, and it'll likely keep going like that.

Character driven is so unrealistic in modern and futuristic games. With so many billion people the impact of a single individual is less it's as simple as that. Anyone who belive otherwise is deluding themselves (and usually falling into the trap of romantizism). I don't mind such games but it has been suggested this is to become one of the big games of paradox so you should listen to yourself when you said that character driven doesn't work for the periods of EU4 and Vic2. Well truth is it worlks less well the closer to modern times you draw, and it'll likely keep going like that.
Riiiiiight... Because having key positions in government/trade/religion don't give some characters more power - and more impact - than other single individuals.

It makes a lot of economic sense. Without Spice there is no space travel and no communication between platens. Spice grows on just one planet. Then the whole empire is forced into preserving the status quo because a little disturbance at Arrakis could start a domino effect. It's what an economy hugely dependent on a single rare resource would look in real life.

Eh, not really. At a certain distance from Arrakis, the costs of spice supply lines starts to overcome their benefits. It is at these locations that companies and scientists will start looking for alternatives. The whole thing then becomes critically dependent on the idea that spice is the only thing enabling long distance space travel. It's a rule that's all well and good for fiction, but it does not carry over to our universe very well.

Not that unrealistic, if real life scientists have almost abandoned Strong AI as a feasible avenue of research, and are focusing on weak AIs within a problem-solving framework. Goedel knew human intelligence wasn't computable, after all.

The more processing power becomes available, the more likely it becomes for strong AI to emerge. You are dependent on a magical rule to cause all scientists to give up on strong AI, while real life shows us that no such rule exists for any kind of innovation. There is no stopping it; someone will always be researching.

Fascism simulator confirmed.

I hope so. I wanted to avenge Spain and conquer the Soviets as Franco, but now that The Game Shall Not Be Mentioned is cancelled, I can't do that... except in HoI4, I guess, but I hated the last one.

The more processing power becomes available, the more likely it becomes for strong AI to emerge. You are dependent on a magical rule to cause all scientists to give up on strong AI, while real life shows us that no such rule exists for any kind of innovation. There is no stopping it; someone will always be researching.
Though common sense should tell any scientist that strong AI has risks. It's not like a truly intelligent robot would just accept to be used as a tool for humans to do whatever they need it for.