• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alright, I have posted a formal update for PRP. Here is the changelog:
  • Added portraits for Iberians that use western faces and Iberian DLC clothes/hair
  • Added portraits for Italians, which are identical to Spaniards for now
  • Added portraits for Persians that use Muslim faces and Persian DLC clothes/hair
  • Added non-pagan portraits for Ugric cultures: western headgear and Russian clothes
  • Added a custom definition of Mediterranean sprites to slightly reduce game memory
  • Modified mod's directory structure for clarity
  • Modified culture file to be 2.4 compatible
  • Modified sprite definitions to be 2.4 compatible
  • Modified Steppe portraits to be called Cuman. They now use Cuman DLC assets when pagan
  • Modified Norse to use western headgear when not pagans
  • Modified Nubians to dress like Somalis rather than Ethiopians
  • Modified Pechenegs to use Cuman portraits instead of Turkish
  • Modified Samoyed to use Cuman headgear and clothing
  • Modified Tocharians to look like Cumans rather than Persians
  • Modified Turks to use Cuman faces instead of Muslim
  • Modified "Western Slavs" to use Cuman clothing and Turkish clothes
  • Modified province graphics definitions for Kirghiz and Karluks to be 2.4 compatible
  • Modified province graphics definitions for Samoyeds and Khanty to be 2.4 compatible
  • Modified province graphics definitions for Saxons to be 2.4 compatible
  • Modified name of Realign Mediterranean module to Realign Greek for clarity
  • Removed Mongol child portraits as the DLC has corrected the issue
  • Fixed sprite layering issue with Cuman males so that nose isn't covered by beard
  • Fixed sprite layering issue with Cuman females so that mouth isn't covered by cheek
The main mod, Ironman, core modules, and documentation should all be ready. Things that are not yet complete since I don't have the energy today:
  • Revised screenshots
  • Compatches
  • The /extras folder
Does anyone know why I'm having upload failures to the forum? I get to 100% then it says that there's an error. I didn't have any trouble with my other mods getting uploaded...

BTW, @CrackdToothGrin, note that the mod fixes a small bug with the Cuman portraits. The ladies' cheeks are blocking the right side of their mouths. Also, I'd love to use the Greek and Iberian faces, but they're still too dark. I guess any plans of updating them got cancelled?

BTW, @CrackdToothGrin, note that the mod fixes a small bug with the Cuman portraits. The ladies' cheeks are blocking the right side of their mouths. Also, I'd love to use the Greek and Iberian faces, but they're still too dark. I guess any plans of updating them got cancelled?

I believe that they are lightened. Try deleting and redownloading them. I got a message saying that the files were lightened already. I assume the problem with the cheeks was a .gfx layering issue?

In your newest version the turkish and bolghar portraits now use the Cuman faces, instead of the arabic ones.
I am curious if this change is because the Cuman faces are betterlooking in somes opinion, or is it because it is more historical accurate?
It is clear that it is a question of they should look more asian than arab?

Otherwise good improvements in the new version, Thanks a lot...

I believe that they are lightened. Try deleting and redownloading them. I got a message saying that the files were lightened already. I assume the problem with the cheeks was a .gfx layering issue?
The Turkish portraits skin tone look pretty good now. If the Greek and Iberian portraits were lightened, then it's still not enough in my opinion. They still look pretty tan and lifeless on my machine. But of course this is a matter of personal taste and monitor settings. As for the cheek issue, yea, it's a layering issue in portraits_cuman.gfx. The mouth is listed before the cheeks for females, which can result in the cheek covering the mouth. No idea if you write the gfx file or someone else does, but thought you'd like to know.

In your newest version the turkish and bolghar portraits now use the Cuman faces, instead of the arabic ones.
I am curious if this change is because the Cuman faces are betterlooking in somes opinion, or is it because it is more historical accurate?
It is clear that it is a question of they should look more asian than arab?

Otherwise good improvements in the new version, Thanks a lot...
My thinking is that it's more historically accurate. Of course I'm not a time traveler, so I don't know for sure :). The Turks are tricky because they originated in China or Mongolia yet modern speakers are mostly found in the former Byzantine Empire. This transition took place during the CK2 time frame as the Turks spread across the globe. As they did so, they undoubtedly intermarried and absorbed a lot of local people. As a consequence, I imagine that a Turkic speaker in the central steppes in 769, Anatolian Turks under the Seljuks, and Turks in the Tughluq dynasty of Delhi in 1337 were probably all genetically quite different from each other. If you're into genetics, you can see how much of a hodgepodge modern Turks are today (link). You don't need to fully understand the details, but even still, the Turks visually stick out in that figure. They're genetically way less homogenized than other countries.

Given this complexity, I think it's a nearly impossible task to do Turkish portraits full justice. For now, what I'm doing is giving them a Central Asian look from the Cuman portrait DLC (I may change my mind in the future). If you start at an early date, this should be fine. If the Turks strike into the near east in the game, then they should naturally start to use the Arab faces as they intermarry. That's exactly what happened in my Yabguid game as I took over Persia.

As for the Bolghars, they're a Turkic Central Asian people as well. They're part of the same Central Asian milieu. "Arab" faces would definitely be wrong for them.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The Turkish portraits skin tone look pretty good now. If the Greek and Iberian portraits were lightened, then it's still not enough in my opinion. They still look pretty tan and lifeless on my machine. But of course this is a matter of personal taste and monitor settings. As for the cheek issue, yea, it's a layering issue in portraits_cuman.gfx. The mouth is listed before the cheeks for females, which can result in the cheek covering the mouth. No idea if you write the gfx file or someone else does, but thought you'd like to know.

I'll pass the info along. I make the .gfx files, but not potentially the final ones. I'm not a coder, so they can and occasionally do switch them up, change hair/eye color, etc.

My thinking is that it's more historically accurate. ... Given this complexity, I think it's a nearly impossible task to do Turkish portraits full justice.

The Turks I made have a mixture of Indo-Iranian and Mongoloid features, considering the areas the pack was to represent include phenotypes running that full spectrum. They are not quite as mongoloid as the Cumans specifically because I did comparative analysis of imagery through my Persian artwork collection, and noticed that there is a strong difference in the way the Seljuks were drawn versus the Mongols/Timurids. The Turks could represent Turkic/Indo-Iranian peoples from about the Ustyurt on down, and the Cumans for those peoples inhabiting the Steppe belt and Siberia.

Neither "group" was ethnically homogenous, and you can see a wide range of features from the mongoloid to caucasoid even within one group. The Turks I made just have a little bit less "Asian" in them because they inhabited areas containing, and were comprised of, more Indo-Iranians than the Cumans. I used a baffling array of archaeological works and several long conversations with a archaeologist working specifically on kurgan burials to come to this conclusion.

"Arab" faces, though, would still be totally wrong for them.

I'll pass the info along. I make the .gfx files, but not potentially the final ones. I'm not a coder, so they can and occasionally do switch them up, change hair/eye color, etc.

The Turks I made have a mixture of Indo-Iranian and Mongoloid features, considering the areas the pack was to represent include phenotypes running that full spectrum. They are not quite as mongoloid as the Cumans specifically because I did comparative analysis of imagery through my Persian artwork collection, and noticed that there is a strong difference in the way the Seljuks were drawn versus the Mongols/Timurids. The Turks could represent Turkic/Indo-Iranian peoples from about the Ustyurt on down, and the Cumans for those peoples inhabiting the Steppe belt and Siberia.

Neither "group" was ethnically homogenous, and you can see a wide range of features from the mongoloid to caucasoid even within one group. The Turks I made just have a little bit less "Asian" in them because they inhabited areas containing, and were comprised of, more Indo-Iranians than the Cumans. I used a baffling array of archaeological works and several long conversations with a archaeologist working specifically on kurgan burials to come to this conclusion.

"Arab" faces, though, would still be totally wrong for them.

And this, Crackd, is why you're awesome.

Reactions:
Some of the Italian female hair is misaligned (too low). Is this possible to fix without touching the underlying dds files - i.e. is there an offset defined anywhere?
Y6tnBpr.png

EDIT: This affects the Iberians too. Basically western faces w/southern hair mixes.

EDIT2: Fixed my local copy by moving the hairs in the DDS files up 4 pixels (worst case I saw was with the first hair in the file, at 5 pixels). Is there a method via just the text files?

Last edited:
Some of the Italian female hair is misaligned (too low). Is this possible to fix without touching the underlying dds files - i.e. is there an offset defined anywhere?
Y6tnBpr.png

EDIT: This affects the Iberians too. Basically western faces w/southern hair mixes.

EDIT2: Fixed my local copy by moving the hairs in the DDS files up 4 pixels (worst case I saw was with the first hair in the file, at 5 pixels). Is there a method via just the text files?
I haven't done much to fiddle with offsets lately. The tiny hair misalignments don't really bother me since most characters have headgear that covers it. I hardly even notice the problem in the picture, even after you highlight it.

PRP doesn't ship any dds files that aren't modifications of the base game since that gets into DLC ownership issues. I've attempted to move things around using offset declarations in the gfx files, but I haven't had much luck. While you can definitely move noses and other face parts around in this manner, I couldn't see any visual impact when I fiddled with hair in this way (was trying to fix the male Mediterranean hair, which are more misaligned than the Iberian women). Maybe I'll give it another go.

And yes, Extras will return. I didn't include them 2.4.1a because I didn't have a chance to verify all of them. They'll be added in the next update, which will happen whenever I have some free time this week.

Yeah, that's not the worst one (just the first one I noticed). And while its true that Italian headgear covers it alot of the time (ducal level Italian is all head covers, for example), this is very noticeable if someone Italian gets culture-switched to French or something. Then you get ouchies.
2Ki2OKE.png

Also looked at the men. Yeah, they have issues too. Why'd they make southern heads smaller I don't understand.

Yeah, that's not the worst one (just the first one I noticed). And while its true that Italian headgear covers it alot of the time (ducal level Italian is all head covers, for example), this is very noticeable if someone Italian gets culture-switched to French or something. Then you get ouchies.

Also looked at the men. Yeah, they have issues too. Why'd they make southern heads smaller I don't understand.
Ok, I mastered offsets of hair. The way I was attempting to accomplish it earlier works just fine for the Iberian/Italian women. It turns out that the Greek portraits handle it differently, which is why I thought it was impossible to accomplish. In any event, I made adjustments to the women that bother you along with the Greek men such that their hair should look sensible now. Let me know if you catch any more issues, and I'll do my best to roll changes into the next PRP update. It looks like the Turkish male hair doesn't line up well with western portraits, so I'll see if I can fix that one on pagan Hungarians...

Alright, we have a new PRP release. Here are the changes for 2.4.1b:
  • Added back Extra modules that remained applicable for 2.4.1
  • Added new Tocharian mod that uses western faces with Turkish and Cuman assets
  • Added graphical offsets to Iberian and Italian hair so that scalp doesn't show
  • Added graphical offsets to Greek male hair so that scalp doesn't show
  • Added graphical offsets to hair for pagan Western Slavic males so that scalp doesn't show
  • Modified Turks to use Turkish DLC faces instead of Cuman
  • Fixed issue where Turks were wearing Cuman clothes instead of Turkish
DOWNLOAD HERE

Still no new screenshots. That's next on the to-do list.

Reactions:
Here is a small update to PRP:
  • Updated culture file to be 2.4.3 compatible
  • Modified backup Mongol portraits to try Cuman before falling back to Muslim
  • Fixed some documentation errors
DOWNLOAD HERE

I also updated the screenshots. Hooray!

Alright, the Ironman mod is up on the Workshop:
PRP Ironman on Steam Workshop
Even if you don't subscribe, give me some ratings over there please. We have a long way to go before there are as many subscribers as BLG :).

For now, I rolled the individual modules into the PRP download on the Steam Workshop. Do people think that I should upload those as individual mods?

Pecheneg and Muslim portraits don't show up for me. Any idea why this would be? I just get empty portrait frames with a tent in the background.
Hey Vladith,
It sounds like the game can't find the dds files declared in PRP's gfx files. If I disable the Cuman Portrait Pack, then I also get empty portrait frames. As to how you managed to get this to happen with the Muslims, that's a bit more of a mystery. Did you fiddle with the gfx files and attempt to point to different dds files?

Ok, I mastered offsets of hair. The way I was attempting to accomplish it earlier works just fine for the Iberian/Italian women. It turns out that the Greek portraits handle it differently, which is why I thought it was impossible to accomplish. In any event, I made adjustments to the women that bother you along with the Greek men such that their hair should look sensible now. Let me know if you catch any more issues, and I'll do my best to roll changes into the next PRP update. It looks like the Turkish male hair doesn't line up well with western portraits, so I'll see if I can fix that one on pagan Hungarians...

Could you perhaps explain how do offset works? Other modders with way less portrait knowledge (me psrticularly) could appreciate that info.

To save memory, the newer portrait sets trim out the invisible borders, and an offset is applied in the portraitType to move it to the right place in the portrait using oxnym where n and m are the offset values in pixels.