• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Brunelli respinds to Das Deutschlander

The safest way to protect the Republic is to just give him the title of Head of State. It is a completely symbolic title, but it prevents any opening for fools to appoint a monarch as head of state. We have already seen people try to give the Hohenzollerns the position of Head of State immediately after I proposed my bill, so it would be beneficial to put the matter to bed forever. Furthermore, adding a presidency can actually lead to tyranny by giving one man too much power. It also makes the government less efficient, as there would be confusion and overlap between the Chancellery and Presidency.

((Wow, I didn't realize that the mechanics were broken that badly. :eek: You'd they'd patch something like that. :mad:))

(( Sadly, they're pretty clearly done updating Vic2. Then again, given how some of the backend stuff works, I can't blame them. If Vic3 only moved the game to the latest engine, it'd be worth the money, even without new features. ))

((It's not broken. :) Crisis wars are intended to be different, and once Great Wars are activated, we can call in allies, just not before that.))

((Whoops, I didn't really expect Avi to update))

So. We have spilled an ocean of German blood, and an ocean of foreign blood, and - it seems - an ocean of red ink, and taxes are to go up so that we may spill yet more blood at the cost of yet more money. The state, having decided no-one else may construct industries, decides that it also has no further interest in productive economic activity.

Congratulations, gentlemen. The manufacturers of mourning garb will thank you, if no-one else.

And for what purpose have we done so? Why, one of our precious military alliances. Perhaps now you will listen to me when I say these alliances are not assets to Germany.

I must propose formally that the Assembly votes on an complete moratorium on new military alliances; and I also believe we must favour any settlement to the war which is not actively to Germany's disadvantage.

I abstain on Herr Brunelli's proposals. I believe from the discussion in the Reichstag that there is scope for reform of the Conclave and Assembly, but now we must allow other proposals to be discussed.

Herr Peymann seems to have been misinformed on a number of points. I am not aware that the State has "decided no-one else may construct industries" - there is no law preventing private capitalists from building and opening factories if they see profit in such. The State has been much more active than the private sector in building up German industry, but no-one is proposing an entirely state-planned economy - at least, not yet.

Furthermore, the current war has nothing to do with any "precious military alliances". The people of Tver have no formal alliance with Germany; the war against Poland is being fought not for a piece of paper, but for the freedom of a long-oppressed people. Our allies in Transylvania have not even been called into this war, so I fail to see that this present conflict has demonstrated anything regarding their usefulness.

---

Although personally, I am inclined to believe that any Tver-centric analysis of the so-called Great Liberation War may be incomplete. I believe we are fighting not one, but two distinct wars.

First, the war on the Eastern Front, against Poland herself. This conflict forms the narrative often found in the newspapers - of Germany The Liberator, fighting against the Autocratic Polish King/Parliament/Dictator ((delete where applicable, I'm not sure what government Poland has)) for the Freedom of the Tver Nation. So far so straightforward.

But the war on the Western Front does not fit so easily into the narrative. Bear in mind that France has no interests in the Tver region, and has historically been Poland's enemy ((the original Crisis Bulletin shows Poland has a truce with France, so presumably there's been some fighting there)). Why did France declare war on Germany then? Because France is fearful and envious of Germany's position as the most powerful nation in the world.

And while the UK have a formal military alliance with Poland, they were seen to delay until the last possible moment before joining the coalition against Germany. This prevarication does not suggest strong moral support for the Polish regime - rather, it suggests a nation who is seeking war against her neighbour, and wishes to ensure that she has sufficient support from her allies, in order to "gang up" on her enemy, rather than openly engage in honourable combat.

And so, Britain and France's declarations of war clearly have nothing to do with the people of Tver, and everything to do with the humiliation of the German nation. I believe any settlement to the wars must address these issues separately - the liberation of Tver from Polish authority on one hand, and the cowardly and pernicious aggression of the Frank and the Scot on the other.

---

Regarding the Eastern Front, I must oppose any peace settlement which leaves the Tver region still under Polish control. Too many good German men have given their lives for the freedom of the Tver people, and I would not have them give their lives in vain. But I must also warn against any further punitive measures against Poland herself - the government of Poland may be autocratic, but she has not acted dishonourably through the war, and once Tver is liberated there is no further cause for conflict on the Eastern Front.

The Western Front is more troublesome, however. On the one hand, we can be sure that any settlement of status quo ante bellum will be, per se, a settlement of status quo ante bellum - that is, of the cowardly Frank and perfidious Scot seeking excuse to bring down the German nation. It follows that any such settlement would not be peace, but an armistice for twenty years. The only way to ensure a lasting peace would be to sufficiently humiliate France and Britain such that they no longer pose a military threat to Germany.

On the other hand, such a settlement probably cannot be achieved. Any such humiliations would be seen by the neutral powers as overly aggressive or "landgrabbing", and would raise our infamy among the nations to even more distressing levels. As much as I would wish to achieve a lasting peace against France and Britain, such a peace would provoke wars of "containment" from the rest of the world.

Though it distresses me, I must therefore support the proposal of status quo ante bellum regarding France and Britain.

This is clearly a war of hegemony. Germany wishes to expand her hegemony, while the alliance of containment wishes to destroy it. Herr Adimari in correct in saying that Tverian liberation is merely a sideshow. But he does not go far enough in assigning blame to Germany for causing this crisis by threatening all the nations of the world through its hegemonic practices. Do we truly need to own Cornwall? Why are we shocked that other nations hate us when we take their territories and expand our dominion at every territory?

-Carlo Brunelli in another editorial

This is clearly a war of hegemony. Germany wishes to expand her hegemony, while the alliance of containment wishes to destroy it. Herr Adimari in correct in saying that Tverian liberation is merely a sideshow. But he does not go far enough in assigning blame to Germany for causing this crisis by threatening all the nations of the world through its hegemonic practices. Do we truly need to own Cornwall? Why are we shocked that other nations hate us when we take their territories and expand our dominion at every territory?

-Carlo Brunelli in another editorial

You dare accuse Germany of causing this crisis? The Poles caused it by oppressing the Tverian people. If your quarrel is with me and my policies, do not hide behind false words.

~ Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, Foreign Minister

You dare accuse Germany of causing this crisis? The Poles caused it by oppressing the Tverian people. If your quarrel is with me and my policies, do not hide behind false words.

~ Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, Foreign Minister

My quarrel is not with you minister. My quarrel is with German imperialism, the force that shall soon destroy civilization. We are all hostage to imperialism, whether we wish it or not. Our jobs as deputies for the People should be to reduce and destroy the effects of this pernicious disease, not expand it by exploiting so-called "crises".

-Carlo Brunelli, in a triumphant return to the Reichstag

My quarrel is not with you minister. My quarrel is with German imperialism, the force that shall soon destroy civilization. We are all hostage to imperialism, whether we wish it or not. Our jobs as deputies for the People should be to reduce and destroy the effects of this pernicious disease, not expand it by exploiting so-called "crises".

Wipe that smirk off your face, Brunelli. We all know you Italians are nothing short of traitors, but your recent arguments have been making less sense than ever.

- A visibly annoyed Dr. Gotha

Herr Peymann seems to have been misinformed on a number of points. I am not aware that the State has "decided no-one else may construct industries" - there is no law preventing private capitalists from building and opening factories if they see profit in such.

I am well aware there is no law, but why would anyone invest their own money in manufacturing when at any point the state may undercut them? It is no wonder that, as you say, the private sector has not been active - because of the decision to strangle it!

((Ooops, that's what I get for replying in a hurry when I find an update dropped a few days ago. Too much gin with Christian's lunch, I think.))

cluelesstabloid.png

(( :p ))

It is my opinion, Herr Brunelli, that since you are part of the Coalition that governs Germany, you are just as guilty as anyone else of your fabled "imperialism" -- instead of complaining, why not try to be more proactive? We are fighting a war for our Republic, not of aggression.

Get your head straight.

- Bismarck

The people of Germany must have place to live. And with our increasing population it is only natural that we should take more lands from the French, and have our sphere of influence so that the Germans will have no fear of getting oppressed.

~Konrad von Schwaben, Head of the Corps of the Gendarmerie

((Just gonna repost this so it doesn't get lost.))

The Anti-Nepotism Bill

1. All positions in the army, navy, and all other branches of the government shall be determined by merit alone.

2. Any individuals who did not earn their positions through merit shall be fired from their positions.

3. Birth or titles will no longer have any effect on German branches of government.

4. Any new branches of government that will be created after 1861 shall be subject to this law as well.

De Spinoza is roused from his slumber in his stately Berlin house by a newsboy's cries.

What hell is thi-Brunelli!

Roused with fury, he races to the Conclave.

Gentlemen, today we are faced with a challenge more odious than either Poland or Britain. It is the old enemy, the Jacobins, the anarchists, the Italians, the nationalists. The face of this monster is none other than my colleague in the Assembly and "Minister" of Education, Carlo Brunelli. He whines and protests against German 'imperialism' while ignoring the British and Polish empires! Why, Germany does not even merit the title of empire, considering it is a republic. Perhaps Herr Brunelli does not realize that the only way he is able to espouse his crackpot theories is that we are a republic, not an empire? Besides the factual inaccuracy, he is just plain wrong-headed. Though that may be redundant, it is certainly not more than him.

The British and the Polish expand and oppress, according to their monarchical whims. They are the leaders of a far more tyrannical government than Germany will hopefully ever have. Yet I would bet money that Herr Brunelli is cosying up to the enemy as I speak! He is nothing more than a traitor, ready to lead Germany into the path of ruin. He claims that we are fighting a self-interested war-it is not so! What could be nobler and, if I may add, more appealing to his...liberal sensibilities than a war for freedom? Gentlemen, that is my case. I hope you have listened. Herr Brunelli, please stop your shrill protests. It does no one any good.

Wipe that smirk off your face, Brunelli. We all know you Italians are nothing short of traitors, but your recent arguments have been making less sense than ever.

- A visibly annoyed Dr. Gotha

De Spinoza is roused from his slumber in his stately Berlin house by a newsboy's cries.

What hell is thi-Brunelli!

Roused with fury, he races to the Conclave.

Gentlemen, today we are faced with a challenge more odious than either Poland or Britain. It is the old enemy, the Jacobins, the anarchists, the Italians, the nationalists. The face of this monster is none other than my colleague in the Assembly and "Minister" of Education, Carlo Brunelli. He whines and protests against German 'imperialism' while ignoring the British and Polish empires! Why, Germany does not even merit the title of empire, considering it is a republic. Perhaps Herr Brunelli does not realize that the only way he is able to espouse his crackpot theories is that we are a republic, not an empire? Besides the factual inaccuracy, he is just plain wrong-headed. Though that may be redundant, it is certainly not more than him.

The British and the Polish expand and oppress, according to their monarchical whims. They are the leaders of a far more tyrannical government than Germany will hopefully ever have. Yet I would bet money that Herr Brunelli is cosying up to the enemy as I speak! He is nothing more than a traitor, ready to lead Germany into the path of ruin. He claims that we are fighting a self-interested war-it is not so! What could be nobler and, if I may add, more appealing to his...liberal sensibilities than a war for freedom? Gentlemen, that is my case. I hope you have listened. Herr Brunelli, please stop your shrill protests. It does no one any good.

I will challenge you both to duels if I could raise my right arm.

You say that Germany does not fight for imperialism, yet Schwaben says right in front of everyone that Germany he hold take land from its enemies and cleanse their populations. At least he is honest. Everyone else is either naive, foolish, or a liar.

I also oppose the nepotism bill because it is unnecessary and a bit harsh.

-Carlo Brunelli

I would support the Anti-Nepotism Bill, if only a single change was made. I agree that in an increasingly modern, democratic nation, aristocratic status should not denote superiority or greater influence. Loyalty, skill, and education should be the values every man should strive for, and they should be rewarded as is due. However, I also recognize that the nobility have had a tremendous role in our history, and are the cornerstone upon which this country was built. These traditions should not be tossed away like they are meaningless, and I believe the Second Clause of the bill, stating that "Any individuals who did not earn their positions through merit shall be fired from their positions", attempts to do just that. Besides the fact that there countless men who, although holding their positions as a result of noble birth, are decent and competent, the passing of a bill like this would shake the fabric of Germany to its core! I can tell you that, as the bill currently stands, it will be unlikely to pass - there are many in our government with aristocratic connections and/or backgrounds sympathizers who would take great opposition to it (most prominently being the Hohenzollerns, who I couldn't imagine would be happy with losing their special privileges). I recommend that you remove the Second Clause, allowing those who "unfairly" gained their positions to retain them, but prohibiting other such appointments in the future. Not only would this accomplish the intended goal of the bill, but it would also save the republic from a grand "witch-hunt"; an eviction of the nobility from all places of influence on a massive scale. Otherwise, I believe the bill to be yet another piece of legislation proposed recently that is a firm footstep towards a greater democratic state, and would give it my wholehearted support if my suggested changes are made.

- Lukas von Freiburg

I will challenge you both to duels if I could raise my right arm.

You say that Germany does not fight for imperialism, yet Schwaben says right in front of everyone that Germany he hold take land from its enemies and cleanse their populations. At least he is honest. Everyone else is either naive, foolish, or a liar.

I also oppose the nepotism bill because it is unnecessary and a bit harsh.

-Carlo Brunelli
You seriously believe that one man's words means that the policy of the government is that? Though some agree with Schwaben, not all do. Besides, we could not do that anyway. The democratic culture in Germany is too strong; the newspapers would immediately report on it. Imperialism is not what we are currently doing; it is what could happen if we had a head of state.
~General JH de Spinoza
Also, I approve the Anti-Nepotism Bill provided the second clause is edited.
I would support the Anti-Nepotism Bill, if only a single change was made. I agree that in an increasingly modern, democratic nation, aristocratic status should not denote superiority or greater influence. Loyalty, skill, and education should be the values every man should strive for, and they should be rewarded as is due. However, I also recognize that the nobility have had a tremendous role in our history, and are the cornerstone upon which this country was built. These traditions should not be tossed away like they are meaningless, and I believe the Second Clause of the bill, stating that "Any individuals who did not earn their positions through merit shall be fired from their positions", attempts to do just that. Besides the fact that there countless men who, although holding their positions as a result of noble birth, are decent and competent, the passing of a bill like this would shake the fabric of Germany to its core! I can tell you that, as the bill currently stands, it will be unlikely to pass unscathed by the many aristocratic sympathizers in our government who would take great opposition to it (most prominently being, of course, the Hohenzollerns). I recommend that you remove the Second Clause, allowing those "unfairly" in their positions to retain them, but prohibiting such other appointments in the future. Not only would this accomplish the intended goal of the bill, but it would also save the republic from a grant "witch-hunt", an eviction of the nobility from all places of influence on a massive, unprecedented scale. Otherwise, I believe the bill to be yet another piece of legislation proposed recently that is a firm footstep towards a greater democratic state, and would give it my wholehearted support.

- Lukas von Freiburg
The second clause has been edited to accommodate your concerns, Herr Freiburg, and added a 5th clause concerning how exactly merit will be judged.
The Anti-Nepotism Bill​

1. All positions in the army, navy, and all other branches of the government shall be determined by merit alone.

2. Any individuals who did not earn their positions through merit shall remain in their positions, but no more individuals will be allowed to gain positions without earning them.

3. Birth or titles will no longer have any effect on German branches of government.

4. Any new branches of government that will be created after 1861 shall be subject to this law as well.

5. A committee will be established to make sure all individuals gain positions through merit.

((Do aristocrats have formal titles and privileges in Germany anymore?))

Based on the feedback I have received, I have decided to amend the Reidhstag Rationzliation Bill:

CONCLAVE REPRESENTATION AMENDMENT
I. Each province will send one deputy to represent them in the Conclave of Stadtholders
II. Each Stadtholder will be elected by the people of their province
III. The structure of the Assembly shall stay in place

Last edited:
((With all the legislation being thrown around, it's hard to keep track of what I'm voting on. I'm almost tempted to ask for a time limit on when we can propose these things.))

I must vote against the Anti-Nepotism Bill and for the amended Conclave Representation Amendment. As for Herr Peymann's suggestion that we place a moratorium on military alliances, I must protest. It is not German alliances that brought this war upon us, but a desire for Tverian freedom. If anything, this should be an example as to why Germany needs alliances. Perhaps if we had more, or were on better terms with existing ones such as Transylvania, we would not be fighting three of the most powerful nations in Europe alone.

I support both the altered Anti-Nepotism Bill and the Conclave Representation Ammendment.

- Lukas von Freiburg