• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Just to clear up some confusion I'm having, will the Reichstag Representative Rationalization Act have any effect on the actual AAR votes or is it merely superficial in its application to us? Obviously it would have a major impact in a real government, but what about in-game?))

((If implemented, it would give us 245 Stadtholders and 245 Assemblymen, so the vote totals would be recalibrated to reflect that. You'd have the same percentage of votes, but fewer votes total, on a per person basis.))

After many difficult decisions I must announce that the Ministry of Finance will recommend that for duration of the war a 13% raise in taxes for the poor a 14% raise for the middle class and a 15% raise for the rich . In addition a 5% tariff will be levied on all imported goods. I will also order the state buying of building supplies to be halved. Lastly, the bureaucracy of Germany is to work reduced hours in order to save 5% of their budget.

The only thing certain in life is death and taxes. War leads to a 100% increase in both, seems.

-a snippet from Carlo Brunelli's editorial in the anarchist newspaper Freiheit

The only thing certain in life is death and taxes. War leads to a 100% increase in both, seems.

-a snippet from Carlo Brunelli's editorial in the anarchist newspaper Freiheit
For an anarchist, you seem remarkably pacifist. Isn't anarchism rather...violent?

For an anarchist, you seem remarkably pacifist. Isn't anarchism rather...violent?

For an anarchist, he seems quite involved in government!

Von Hohenstaufen laughs

Then again, he is only Minister of Education...

Brunelli writes to Spinoza

'Tis not wise to paint all anarchists with the same Marxist brush ((Marx is an anarcho-lib revolutionary in this TL)), Herr Spinoza. Some anarchists want violence, true, but most anarchists simply want a much more limited government thst allows industry and personal freedoms to prosper. A true anarcho-liberal does not want the government to send thousands of young men to their deaths to fulfill an arsitocrat's imperial pretensions. A true-anarcho liberal wants freedom, not war and violence.

((If implemented, it would give us 245 Stadtholders and 245 Assemblymen, so the vote totals would be recalibrated to reflect that. You'd have the same percentage of votes, but fewer votes total, on a per person basis.))

((Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :) ))

If the Minister of War has any changes to make, or the Minister of Education, we're more or less set to proceed.

The UAI and DDA assemblymen need to get their acts together and vote!

((None, unless we are running out of techs))

I propose that we call our Transylvanian allies into the war. Other than that, the Foreign Ministry has no new plans for the coming year.

~ Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, Foreign Minister

I oppose the Reichstag Representative Rationalization Act, for the reasons stated by most others opposing it. While it would ensure representation in the Conclave of every province, it halves the number of representatives in the Assembly and makes having both houses redundant. I also oppose the Head of State Act and the suppression of the Flemish people.

~ Heinrich Bergmann

I oppose calling in Transylvania, both because I have serious doubts that their armed forces can accomplish anything of value and I have reason to suspect that this will lead to favors asked of us that we would not be willing to fulfill.

I also oppose calling our Transylvanian allies into war. The lives of their young men are not needed in this conflict.

- Lukas von Freiburg

I propose that we call our Transylvanian allies into the war. Other than that, the Foreign Ministry has no new plans for the coming year.

~ Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, Foreign Minister

((Can't call Allies into a crisis war, unfortunately.))

((Can't call Allies into a crisis war, unfortunately.))

((Wow, I didn't realize that the mechanics were broken that badly. :eek: You'd they'd patch something like that. :mad:))

((Wow, I didn't realize that the mechanics were broken that badly. :eek: You'd they'd patch something like that. :mad:))

(( Sadly, they're pretty clearly done updating Vic2. Then again, given how some of the backend stuff works, I can't blame them. If Vic3 only moved the game to the latest engine, it'd be worth the money, even without new features. ))

The Ministry of War has no changes to propose to the current composition of forces.

The Minister of War, wearing his Chief of the Naval Staff hat, directs that the Steam Fleet remain in place until the Polish fleet is forced out of its anchorage. Once the Polish Fleet is no more, the Steam Fleet should repair damage, and then join the Sail Fleet in and around the Channel. The Sail Fleet should send any damaged ships into port for repair and then to rejoin.

Hals Gutfreund, Minister of War

An angry anti-Spinozite backbencher submits a new law.

The Anti-Nepotism Bill

1. All positions in the army, navy, and all other branches of the government shall be determined by merit alone.

2. Any individuals who did not earn their positions through merit shall be fired from their positions.

3. Birth or titles will no longer have any effect on German branches of government.

4. Any new branches of government that will be created after 1861 shall be subject to this law as well.

[...]Clearly Herr Müller must learn to spell, or he will be expelled from the Schelswig Rotary Club.

The Crazed Italian has struck again, it seems; not just once, but twice. His Reichstag Representation Bill and the Head of State Act. The first seems to me a logical proposal. I have often complained of Germany's red tape and general obfuscating bureaucracy, so this is a good first step towards reducing that. However, as others have noted, this law is too simplistic and needs to be expanded upon. For example, the Assembly will be reduced; though it will now be equal, the upper chamber will never be the same. Besides some small gripes, the law should hopefully pass (with a few tweaks).

On the Head of State Bill, I have some more qualms. The bill creates a useless title, and I think we can all agree that the age of titles has long past Germany by. Those who try to resurrect that bygone age should think twice. The last time we had a head of state Germany was ruled by a tyrannical king. Need I remind anyone of the circumstances that led to the glorious Republic? I doubt that, but with the Crazed Italian running the schools, you never know what sort of claptrap his dangerously anarchist mind is feeding our children. A chancellor is enough for Germany, thank you, Brunelli. If it was me, I would create an executive figurehead with little to no power. In a republic it is the safest option. To reference Rome once again, to give them too much power would be, like Caesar, to let them run roughshod over our rights. Van Gogh's Presidency Bill would give me much of the same worries.

Speaking of rights, I hear that the Flemings are under attack once more. Sadly enough for these people have been trampled by the Germans or the French throughout much of their history. And, to answer one of my reader's questions, Belgium is the archaic term for Flanders. The continued reign of terror led by Von Schwaben wreaks havoc on the lives of many. Now, I am not saying that Jacobins or Anarchists should be treated well-they are the scum of this earth-but to attack helpless Flemings is to invite international condemnation. For what? For a war that is meant to curry international favor.

The Anti-Nepotism Bill is a noble crusade, but I predict it will not gain that much traction in the Conclave. There is not much enthusiasm for shaking up the status quo in the chambers right now. Besides, the Chancellor has made a public statement backing the notorious de Spinoza's generalship in Africa. If de Spinoza will not be dislodged, I doubt anyone will be. However, I must still support this bill. And, in more information in the war, we seem to still have a sail fleet. In the interests of both progress and Germany's continued preeminence in the world, I would suggest upgrading the entire fleet to steam, though I do not pretend to be a military man. Ahem.

That is all for politics in Das Deutschlander once again. Now, if I may take the reader to the scenic view of the Marburg factory, where a disease has recently spread among the workers...[...]

((Y'all do realize that the Chancellor already executes the powers (or lack thereof) of a Head of State, right? People on this forum need to get it through their skulls that a Head of State has almost no political power. :mad:))