• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Spam aside, you really do not need to build a new barony, just usurp the existing one and then give someone else the bishopric. If you absolutely need to save face, you could give it to the same baron you revoked, though he will likely still be mad at you.

The powergamey thing would be to imprison and banish all your vassals to max out demesne limit until you get enough regular counties, but that would hardly make for a good story unless your character is insane, paranoid and ambitious.

Last edited:
The powergamey thing would be to imprison and banish all your vassals to max out demesne limit until you get enough regular counties, but that would hardly make for a good story unless your character is insane, paranoid and ambitious.

... You just described the most awesome story I've ever heard.

Two questions, though. What is a demesne limit, and why would Avindian need to max that/build a new barony? Is it to be able to become Herzog of Bayern?

Spam aside, you really do not need to build a new barony, just usurp the existing one and then give someone else the bishopric. If you absolutely need to save face, you could give it to the same baron you revoked, though he will likely still be mad at you.

Interesting idea!

... You just described the most awesome story I've ever heard.

Two questions, though. What is a demesne limit, and why would Avindian need to max that/build a new barony? Is it to be able to become Herzog of Bayern?

It would make a good story.

The demense limit keeps you from holding too many titles concurrently. I need the barony so I don't get penalized for being a secular ruler and holding a bishopric personally.

Ah, so you can't be Emperor of the HRE, Herzog of Bayern and Baron at the same time?
That's too bad, for history has proven that vassals can not be trusted.

Yes you can, just the title of Emperor is yours. Often they are Duke or rather Duke(s) and hold a large set of land. Just the direct number of holdings under that person's name is the demesne limit. Going over that will get you some penalties. However, no limits to vassals, that I can see. :)

However, holding cities and bishoprics can be worth it if you do not have enough noble titles to max out your demesne for one reason: You will get the full army levy of that holding instead of a percentage determined by your laws and relations with that vassal.

Gen. Marshall:

The noble titles basically work like this:

There are subholdings that belong to each county, their number vary from 1 to 7 depending on how "important" that holding is (Rome, Constantinople, Venice, Cairo are examples of 7's, 1's are to be found in such places as northernmost Norway.) mostly there are 3-6 slots total and some of them are empty and need to be built. Each subholdings can be improved by building structures for army and revenue in it, if you assign a vassal to it, he will upgrade it himself when he can afford it.

Types of subholdings are:

- Baronies, providing the best troops, but very bad income unless you build up the castle cities building which take a good number of years to repay itself. This is the standard holding for nobles.
- Cities, providing the best income but the lowest number of troops. Naturally led by a lowborn and carries penalties otherwise. Is usually taxed between 25-45% but the income falls if the vassal dislikes you.
- Bishoprics, proving a mix of income and troops, they however only pay if you they like you more than the pope. Can be held by both nobles and lowborn, but if it is their only holding they cannot marry and are removed from the line of inheriting anything.

If you as a player hold an non-barony, it only gives 25% of it's total income. Any type of holding can be a county capital (barony=county, bishoperic=prince-bishop, mayor=lord mayor) that carry the same kind of balance as described above. If you revoke a barony in one of your personal holdings with a city or bishopric capital, it revers to a count title since that is your default.

Counties are the lowest position a player can have, duchies, kingdoms, empires are basically just superior titles that have more de-jure lands and can have vassals a level lower. One could be a duke with 15 duchies and be stronger than an emperor, though the number of vassal counts may become a nightmare. Only subholdings count towards demesne limit, and a county requires at least one spent on the capital barony.

Subholdings are (usually) the direct vassals of whoever holds the county title, and they only pay taxes to that character (who may in turn, depending on your laws) pay you a percentage. Noble vassals are very rarely taxed since they need all the money they can get to improve their holdings and the relations hit is substantial. Having the mayors/bishops in the counties of your count-level vassals will not endear them to you.

You will always get 100% levy from your personal holdings and a percentage from vassals, that depend on how much they like you and your levy-law for that type of holding. Crown authority sets a minimum they provide. Upping crown authority and levy laws are double-edged, though, because they increase the likelihood of rebellions and may not be worth if it it angers the vassal enough.

In this game two stats are honestly a bit overrepresented:

Stewardship which determines your demesne limit (+technology and level of highest title) and improves your income.
Diplomacy which greatly effects your relations with your vassals.

The demesne limit is the number of subholdings (remember, you need to spend 1 to hold a county capital and thus the county) you can hold. There are no advantages in staying below it, but many disadvantages associated with holding above it: It angers your vassals and gives income penalties. The only disadvantage of filling out the demesne limit, I can think of, is if you know your successor will have to give away titles to remain below the limit. It can be annoying to take and give away titles with each succession, and unless you have a claim then revoking will anger all vassals each time you do it.

Using the banish-everything tactic i described earlier will anger all of your vassals AND your entire court AND apparently the current pope, if you do it to bishops. It can be worth it while you are still small (1-5 counties with no count vassals) since you can remove all your vassals and take all their cash that way, but as a king or emperor you will face an unstoppable rebellion in a matter of weeks. Also, no matter who you are, your court will hate you, and courtiers who hate you may plot to kill you! Also you need to imprison each one, with a chance every time that the vassal escapes capture and starts a rebellion. You get one revocation without malus from other vassals (not banish which takes all titles and money) if revoked vassal is:

1: Excommunicated
2: A known traitor
3: You have a claim on the specific title you're revoking
4: A heretic or infidel (if the relevant crown authority* is medium or higher)

* Always the direct king/empire title. Since the kingdom title for Avindian's title has not been created, the Holy Roman Empire determines Crown Authority.

Last edited:
Yenzen, Sirce,

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to help me out. As I don't have CK2, this helps me a lot. If any of you ever decide to visit the HOI forums, remember that you can always ask me for help.

Oh, and Avindian: I'm eagerly waiting to find out whether you'll take the powergamey way, and what the new child names will be.

Yenzen, Sirce,

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to help me out. As I don't have CK2, this helps me a lot. If any of you ever decide to visit the HOI forums, remember that you can always ask me for help.

Oh, and Avindian: I'm eagerly waiting to find out whether you'll take the powergamey way, and what the new child names will be.

I didn't take the powergamey way. :) In 1235 or so at the moment, hoping to play at least until 1250 before I update again.

I've played up to 1256 or so; I've got enough material for more updates, so I'm going to do exactly that this weekend. To the contest winners: I made your names more German (to fit with everything else) but they are otherwise the same.

While you wait for a new update, before I post, let's have another contest, shall we? This one's a two parter.

By the end of his reign, Friedrich will have how many titles?

and

Which ones will they be?

You cannot win a character for both parts, even if you get them both right; the first one to have an exact count will get a character, and the one to get the exact titles will have one as well.

HRE, Duke of Bavaria, Count of Munich and Nuremberg and Baron of Sigmaringen.

3, Duke of Bavaria, Count of Munich, and Count of Nuremburg

Count of Nuremburg and of Ulm and Baron of Zollern and of Teck

Duke of Bavaria, Count of Nuremberg, Count of Ulm and Baron of Zollern.

EDIT: What happens when two people guess the right titles/number? (I'm upset because I thought it was 4 titles, too xD)

Last edited:
Name send to your mail!! :rolleyes:

Duke of Bavaria, Count of Nuremberg, Count of Ulm and Baron of Zollern.

EDIT: What happens when two people guess the right titles/number? (I'm upset because I thought it was 4 titles, too xD)

If two people guess at the same time, whoever is first chronologically wins. And not quite. ;)

Name send to your mail!! :rolleyes:

Received.

I'll give my loyal readers a hint: all four titles are at the same level.

You gave Zollern to a non-Holhenzollern?

SHAMFUR DISPRAY.