• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nagy.
Before the First World war, in Austria-Hungary Mihály Nagy was a great Hungarian gentleman. He's got huge lands in the Alföld and North-Hungary (Today Slovakia. He's son, István Nagy died at the Battle of Doberdo. And István Nagy jr. fought at the Battle of Kursk. He didn't die at the battle, he came home bye his legs (!). And then, his son István Mihály Nagy had got a workshop at the Communist ages of Hungary. Today, his son, István Nagy, the fourth leading the famous Fenstherm Kft.. And I am his son, and I just sitting at the computer and writting this :D

Bliss (English)
Paternal line

(Taken from http://www.blissfhs.co.uk/origins.htm)
P. H. Reaney, the authority on English surnames, derives our name from either the Middle English noun blisse, joy or gladness, or from the Norman family of de Blez. English State and Ecclesiastical documents record de Blezes in Cos. Hereford, Worcester and Warwicks in the 12th century. It is thought the name originates from Blay, a village 9k west of Bayeux in Calvados,Normandy. The de Blezes came to the Welsh March in the service of Adam de Port, baron of Kington, circa 1115. Later, they were knights in the service of the barony of Radnor, owing allegiance,first to the de Braose baronial family and later to the Mortimers of Wigmore, who inherited Radnor by marriage to the de Braose heiress. One of the manors held by William de Blez in the 1160s was Stok in Herefordshire, which became known as Stoke de Blez and then Stoke Bliss, clearly demonstrating the transition of Blez into Bliss. The Bliss manor in Staunton on Wye is also named from its de Bleez or de Blees medieval landlords. We are confident many modern Blisses and Bleases share a common rootstock in the Norman family of de Blez. The second source of our name probably originates in more easterly counties of England. In the reign of Henry II (1154-1189), a 'Richard callyd Blisse'held land at Parndon in Essex from the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem. It sounds as though Richard had only recently come by his last name. The usage of the Bliss name quickly became widespread. In 1225 a Bliss landholding at Cirencester Gloucs. was mentioned in a customal in the Curia Regis. By 1270 (The Hundred Roll of Edward I), Blisses are recorded at Tyringham in Buckinghamshire and Waterbeach in Cambridgeshire. These were undoubtedly native English stock, being villeins or freemen of a lower order than the de Blez family.

The de Blez name disappears from the Records in the 15th century and we are free to choose the source of our particular branch of the Bliss name: a native, stubbornly persistent, Anglo-Saxon heritage or a venturesome, hot-tempered Norman import.

From the Hundred Roll:
- County of Buckingham: Bunstone Hundred, Parish of Tyringham-cum-Filgrave. John Blisse (and 20 others) holds 6 acres and one rood.

- County of Cambridge: Hundred of North Stowe, Town of Waterbeche. John Blisse holds one messuage and pays yearly 3 shillings, 3 pence (along with Ralph, a merchant, and Geoffrey, a merchant. The messuage contains three roods of land.

Here's the family crest (center of the page):
http://www.blissfhs.co.uk/
Described as:
Argent, on a bend cotised azure, 3 garbs or. Crest on a wreath, a garb or.

It was associated with a Bliss family in Leicestershire and is also found, impaled with his wife's arms, on the tomb of Richard Bliss, died 1703, in Southwark cathedral. The Garbs or, or golden sheaves, on the Bliss arms are reminiscent of the 3 ears of corn on a seal attached to a 13th Century charter, whereby Alan, son of Alan de Blez, granted land at Langley, Warwicks to Bordesley Abbey (Bromley Davenport MSS). Apart from this one instance, the armorial emblems of the de Blez family are not known.

My Family name is Roy (or Roi in the Original French). The Sir name is first recorded as having come from early Medieval Brittany. It has something to do with some guys who impersonated the King at local festivals. Anyhow these impersonation chaps migrated down to a village outside of Vendee, France and had children for centuries until we come to Perri Roi (1638) . Any records before at time appear to have been destroyed during the religious wars. (I also can’t read French real well...) For some reason Perri decided that France was too warm and that the cold winters of Quebec suited him better. So when he was twenty-eight, he jumped on a ship and sailed to the New France. Perhaps another reason he wanted to move to Quebec was because it was too easy to seduce young maidens in France and he wanted a challenge. His mindset was something along the lines of, "Hell I want a challenge, and why not move to a place with a huge gender imbalance." After arriving in Quebec and disappearing from the records for six years (Or I just can’t read French...) he married a French girl of sixteen years of age. However me must assume (because, why the hell not) those six years had been spent as a fur trader having numerous affairs with Native American women. Perhaps it was because of he had achieved all his goals in life that he decided to live till he was 85, however he only made it until he was 83. We must conclude therefore that my family name is a divine omen, because, in French, Roi mean King. And as we all know, "its good to be the king" - Mel Brooks (History of the World Part I, if you have not watched it do so.)

Shishkin
In 1370 Oleg Knyaz of Ryazan supporting with Murza (something like earl in Golden Horde) Salakhmir retrieve his lands from Moskovite forces. After that Salakhmir was baptized and married Oleg's sister. His children started several noble families: Apraksins, Krukovs, Khanykovs, Duvanovs, Rataevs, Shishkins, Duvanovs, Rataevs.

My Family name is Roy (or Roi in the Original French). The Sir name is first recorded as having come from early Medieval Brittany. It has something to do with some guys who impersonated the King at local festivals. Anyhow these impersonation chaps migrated down to a village outside of Vendee, France and had children for centuries until we come to Perri Roi (1638) . Any records before at time appear to have been destroyed during the religious wars. (I also can’t read French real well...) For some reason Perri decided that France was too warm and that the cold winters of Quebec suited him better. So when he was twenty-eight, he jumped on a ship and sailed to the New France. Perhaps another reason he wanted to move to Quebec was because it was too easy to seduce young maidens in France and he wanted a challenge. His mindset was something along the lines of, "Hell I want a challenge, and why not move to a place with a huge gender imbalance." After arriving in Quebec and disappearing from the records for six years (Or I just can’t read French...) he married a French girl of sixteen years of age. However me must assume (because, why the hell not) those six years had been spent as a fur trader having numerous affairs with Native American women. Perhaps it was because of he had achieved all his goals in life that he decided to live till he was 85, however he only made it until he was 83. We must conclude therefore that my family name is a divine omen, because, in French, Roi mean King. And as we all know, "its good to be the king" - Mel Brooks (History of the World Part I, if you have not watched it do so.)

Actually it was probably Roy in "original French" too, "roi" is the modern form of the word while in old French it was "roy".

Actually it was probably Roy in "original French" too, "roi" is the modern form of the word while in old French it was "roy".

Perhaps but between uneducated peasants and undereducated priests who could spell anything correctly? :p In church records one generation has it as Roy and another Roi. Made it a head ache to do research.

My family's name is Lüdeking.

We had our ancestery checked a few years back and found some pretty weird stuff in the progress. We know by certainty that somewhere back in dark ages our family just went by the name "King" and we originated from Scotland. We were however not royality of any sort, mearly a surname. Our family then moved to Mainland europe around the 13th century and our family joined with a German one and so it changed to Lüdeking. My family then moved to Northern Italy during the Renaissance, most likely because it was more "free" than in Germany/France. The family named remained unchanged and around the 16th century we moved to the Slesvig area and was suprisingly enough granted some land and some status in small amounts, largely due to one of my ancestors effords in war. Around the 18th century our family was split in two groups. This was because my great, great grandfather's brother was a gambler and he waged the peice of land he lived on (But did not own) and lost it in a gambit. My great, great grandfather was so enraged by losing his land that he demanded his brother change surname and he never wanted to see him again. Our branch remained Lüdeking while the brother changed his surname to Lydeking. Because our family lost their land, they moved north to Denmark and settled around central Jutland.

There was some speculation that our family may, at one point, have been tied with one of the German royal families (The dutchies) which was located around the Lübeck area. Although this was never really proven.

The story is no evidence of great accomplishments nor wars, but it's all proven :p Mostly through church registers and old regional administration papers.

I have two stories; one is real, one is false, you be the judge.

Adare: (not my actual last name but my last name is derived from it)

adair_coat_of_arms_poster-p228649510811754926t5wm_400.jpg

Our story starts off in a small snowy village, the first of our name sat with his child atop a snowy mountain where he explained to him the story of how steel came to Earth. Shortly after raiders came to the village and killed the child's father and mother.
The child was taken into slavery, where he was forced to push a big pointless wheel thing. As a result the child grew up strong and so they forced him to fight other slaves to the death.
Randomly the child was released where he set out to avenge his mother and father's death.
Along the way he met some asian guy who told him about the 4 winds, the child (now a man) laughed and replied "Krum laughs at your 4 winds".
He then met some thief and an average looking female.
He found out where the leader of the raiders was, and disguised himself and infiltrated the temple. He was caught and tortured, to a point where he broke and yelled out (rather unconvincingly) "You killed my mother, you killed my father!"
Long story short he killed the evil guy and became king.

Story 2:

Adair/Adare is a surname derived from the Old English personal name Eadgar (Edgar). In Ireland the surname is almost exclusive to Ulster and particularly to counties Antrim and Down. Here they are of Scottish origin where the surname is most common in Galloway. Many of the Galloway Adairs settled in Ulster during and after the Plantation. A few of the name in Ireland may be of the family name Ó Dáire. Also there is a town to the west of Limerick called Adare.

Alternatively you could do "O'Neil" or Nial but i have feeling the descendants of the kings of Ireland are already in the game through some capacity.

Last edited:
My last name actually IS Anderson but I wish it to be immortalized anyways even if thousands of other Andersons can take credit for it as well (curse my last name not being unique).

My family has extraordinarily detailed records at least back to the beginning of the 1800s (and somewhat vague much much further) but I do not wish to go that far back. This is a true tale of my Great Grandfather James Rogers Anderson. He was born in Belfast, Ireland on the 5th of February, 1887. Eventually as a young man he immigrated to the United States and joined the United States Cavalry. I would like to go into detail on his service in the Cavalry but the building containing those records burned down long ago. However come World War I he wanted to go join the fight. The United States however was not participating in the War, maintaining a stance of Neutrality even if there was some favoritism. James Anderson would have none of this, this will not do he though, he wanted to go help protect his former homeland so he did what any sensible Irish-American immigrant would do....he moved to Canada. Almost immediately afterwards he joined the Canadian armed forces (so in truth the forces of Great Britain). He was assigned to Princess_Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Patricia%27s_Canadian_Light_Infantry the first Canadian regiment into battle. Eventually he was shipped over and ended up in the trenches in France. While there apparently the group he was assigned to was ordered to fall back and instead of complying with their orders, they held the line and drove back a German advance. This gained the regiment praise and awards but also drew criticism for the officer in command of those troops at the time. As punishment he had that same group placed on the front line more frequently I can therefor only assume he was a rather petty commander. While being forced onto the front lines again as punishment they were hit with a mustard gas attack. This was rather early into the war so protection against such an attack was minimal at best (although even later there was only so much a soldier could do to protect themselves). but a firsthand account from my grandfather was alive said one of the soldiers among them had been training to be a chemist before the war and ordered them to as quickly as they could urinate onto a rag and cover their mouth with it, keeping their head down and as covered from the gas as they could. While many of the soldiers died my grandfather and others managed to survive only to be hospitalized for much of the remainder of the war. The after effects of that attack never fully left him and he died while working at his home on April 7th, 1934 due to complications from the gas. My grandfather had been born on March 27, 1934 only 13 days prior to Jame's death and was never able to truly meet the man who was his father and my great-grandfather. He was a brave man and may everyone remember him and those who came before him as a noble line of Andersons somewhere on the Isle of Ireland.

My last name actually IS Anderson but I wish it to be immortalized anyways even if thousands of other Andersons can take credit for it as well (curse my last name not being unique).

Its a VERY GOOD last name though.

Larcher
there are two branches of this name: one is founded in normandy and comes from the word (l')archer, the other (mine for instance) is from the alpine regions (switzerland, austria, northern italy) and comes from the german word for "Larch"

Munday

Arms.jpg

The Mundays are the Quislings of the Elventh Century. Rather than going over to England with the Conquerer, the Mundays were here first being of even more ancient a lineage.

However rather than resisting the Bastard after Hastings like any decent Anglo Saxon should, the first Mundays ran his new holdings for him acting as Reeves and Balifs and such like. Such collabos were known as Munday. The family motto "Not an Angel but an Englishman" sums this up rather nicely.

Proud name huh?

Oh why not...

Name: Kokoszczyński (I'm not sure it'll be visible with different language settings but this is actually n with an acute accent)

Origins: My ancestor was a simple peasant. He became levy in the Polish royal army during the unification in the reign of Władysław I (early to mid 14th century). The king himself noticed his bravery and dedication during the campaign against the Teutonic Order. After the victorious Battle of Płowce King Władysław bestowed upon my ancestor a title of the lord of the village of Kokoszczyny (hence the name:)

EDIT: Link to the coat of arms: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ślepowron_(herb_szlachecki)

Last edited:
This "contest" is having a great success, me think.

Quite surprised by the huge number of Gaelic / Irish contributors to this forum.

Sluimers

Despite many heroic efforts by my family to look up our family tree and find some nobles and a family crest, all efforts have stranded with peasants, bums and bridgewatchers who drank themselves to death.

Our best guess is either A) Spanish or Portuguese immigrants changing their name from Suarez or something similar to something more dutch sounding. This would make sense as my grandfather's family is from Zeeland, he had jet black hair and Zeeland is where all the leftover Spanish POWs were dumped after the eighty-year war.

Or B) someone who got bored waiting in line at the registration office when the French instituted last names for everyone during the Napoleonic occupation.

Since a lot of the Dutch people were completely confident that this was another one of those French things that would be done away with when they would leave (together with strange and impractical things like kilograms, metres and more of that nonsense), some got quite creative and made up some rather outrageous last names to mock the French. Which was neatly administered by the French Civil Servant who had no clue what he was writing down.

The name means 'slumbers' so basically a lazy bum who is half asleep most of the day.

Breugelmans

my ancestor was the companion of Pieter Breughel, who was actually a spy for the revolutionaries
Pieter would make paintings were in subtle hints on the canvas the exact place and strength of fortifications and spanish garrisons was displayed

the spanish of course didn't like this although they didn't have enough proof, so once in a while when a spanish patrol came upon them, a fight would break out

before the fight my ancestor would say these words: before you get to him, you have to get through me, I am Breughel's man through an trough"
naturally after multiple head bashings and tooth flying, words tend to get distorted a bit and so a price was set on the head of this Breugelmans

my ancestor liked the name and kept it, as it was both a name which displayed his loyalty and spanish stupidity

They never caught him though and he lived hapily ever after :D The end

Rautanen, where "rauta" = iron and "nen" is common ending in finnish names, usually originating from eastern Finland. Family line originates from Carelia from where they moved to Helsinki area before WW I. My great-grandfather and his father were skilled carpenters, still have some pieces of furniture made by them, surely better quality than Ikea :). Some genealology research was made by grandfathers sister and some family lines surprisingly trace back to 16th century Holland where thay lived as huguenots, religious refugees from France. Why they moved to north remains mystery, but probably they were criminals of some sort as some were later hanged in Turku (Åbo) accused of piracy in the Baltic Sea!

Stuckenschmidt

Is basically a lost profession. Schmidt derives from Schmied (english: Smith). But with the invention of the first cannons in Europe, there was also the profession of the "Stückgießer", specialized on producing gun barrels ("Stücke"). So my ancestors were obviously in the arms business.

I don`t think it is a good name for a medieval family, but maybe for a wacky event:

FOREIGN TRAVELLER ARRIVES

A man named Stuckenschmidt appears at your court and explains a new invention, that allows you to destroy your enemy`s castles in no time with the help of some fire and alchemistic substances.

A. It`s satanic knowledge! (Stuckenschmidt is send to the stake, +10 piety, -5 fame)
B. What? (Stuckenschmidt is send away)
C. Do want! (Stuckenschmidt becomes a courtier, + 5 fame, -10 gold)

von Schreyvogel

My grandmother was a born "von Schreyvogel". An old german family of lesser nobility. But they sold their hereditary title already in the 19th century and lost the prefix "von". Literaly translated "von Schreyvogel" means "screaming bird". The name looks quite cool, especially because the nowadays correct german spelling "Schreivogel" is written with an "y", which gives it a medieval look. Right now there are only very few people with the name "Schreyvogel" living in Germany. An online search of all telephone books results in 12 adresses with probably 20 persons of this name. More or less famous historical "Schreyvogels" include a German poet and a German-American painter of the 1900s, who speciallized in western style paintings ... :)

Ermann.

A German surname while I was born in Estonia. The connection seems to be pretty easy to establish. In the 13th century the Teutonic knights invaded Estonia and sought to bring Christianity and other virtues among the pagan Estonians. The Estonians, being pagans, were not interested however and tried to repel the attackers. The Germans won however with brutality and cunning: they overwhelmed the Estonians in a decisive battle and cut down their king Lembitu. They also proposed parley to Estonians for peace talks and received four other Estonian kings that came to negotiate (the title was somewhat less regal in medieval Estonia, even a village chief could have been called king). Then they murdered the Estonian leaders during the parley. With the natives' morale and leadership broken, it was easy to subdue the entire country, which came to be known as Maryland after the Holy Virgin, and establish sovereignity over local population. The Estonians were turned into servants and slaves in their homeland and had very little chance of prospering as the division between rich and poor was based on both ethinicity and language.

It is likely then that one of my ancestors was such a pillaging, killing and looting knight who established a nice living in medieval Estonia. My grandmother's mother's surname was Riedebach, so that kind of a story is entirely possible in that part of the family too.

Ermann is a compound name with components of 'Er' and 'mann'. They translate to English as 'he' and 'man' respectively. So basically I am He-Man which is perfect reason in itself to include my name in CKII!

Status
Not open for further replies.