Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Could you add me somewhere as a character? I have no particular preference where. :D

MSG ESN Copernicus @ Groombridge 34 to Fleet Ops Operations
Thermal contact lost when I passed out of sensor range at 1.75 m-km
Unknown ships still stationary at last contact
Heading for jump point to Ross 248 system
Please advise stay or go interrogative
cc Fleet Ops Survey
- Cmdr Schwuermann out
MSG ends XXXXX

MSG Fleet Ops Operations to ESN Copernicus @ Groombridge 34
Jump through to Ross 248 system and picket near side of jump point
Well done Schwuermann
- Fleet Ops Operations out
MSG ends XXXXX

Last edited:
Could you add me somewhere as a character? I have no particular preference where. :D

Fighter Pilot? Ever wanted to be Luke Skywalker?

So... should we give Schwuermann an "Alien Contact" medal?

Like LoneGunman, I prefer to be cautious.
Their ship hasn't fired or done anything. This means that they're not batshit crazy militarist bent on universal conquest and extermination of anyone else.
This probably means that they're pondering what they should do, and don't know our own intentions. Basically, they're waiting to see if we're hostile and what we came for.
If this is their home system and they didn't shoot us, I would suspect a neutral relationship is possible.
We should keep in mind that we might need friendly aliens, because the sure thing is that there are hostile ones out there.

That said, it's also crucial to know if they have a settlement in this system, notably in the most promising planet. We can't decide to rush to colonise it as long as we don't know what this system means to them.
Obviously, I'm for sending a small diplomatic ship, and this mission should also try to assess if human expansion into this system is still possible or not.

BTW, since our ship there left the system, will our diplomatic ship have thermal sensor, to find the alien ship - or if it cannot be found, to survey the planet?

Fighter Pilot? Ever wanted to be Luke Skywalker?

So... should we give Schwuermann an "Alien Contact" medal?

The "Drake Award" would be fitting. :)

Their ship hasn't fired or done anything. This means that they're not batshit crazy militarist bent on universal conquest and extermination of anyone else.
This probably means that they're pondering what they should do, and don't know our own intentions. Basically, they're waiting to see if we're hostile and what we came for.
If this is their home system and they didn't shoot us, I would suspect a neutral relationship is possible.
We should keep in mind that we might need friendly aliens, because the sure thing is that there are hostile ones out there.

That said, it's also crucial to know if they have a settlement in this system, notably in the most promising planet. We can't decide to rush to colonise it as long as we don't know what this system means to them.
Obviously, I'm for sending a small diplomatic ship, and this mission should also try to assess if human expansion into this system is still possible or not.

BTW, since our ship there left the system, will our diplomatic ship have thermal sensor, to find the alien ship - or if it cannot be found, to survey the planet?

These are the first aliens I've ever met that aren't batshit crazy. The idea takes some getting used to.

Schwuermann hasn't left the system yet, by the way... it will take him about three and a half days to reach the exit jump point. They've still got lots of time to blast him, if they decide to do so.

Not sure if adding any sensors turns a ship from Civil to Military... there aren't many components that you can add to Civil ships without "crossing the line".

I volunteer my self if you don't want to transfer anyone.

can we gets a update on own navy, fighters, ground forces, etc.

Not sure if adding any sensors turns a ship from Civil to Military... there aren't many components that you can add to Civil ships without "crossing the line".

At the moment I have two active sensor components. One with resolution 100 and another with resolution 9. The first makes a vessel military, but the second doesn´t. So it´s possible to have active sensors and still be civilian, but if the sensors then are of any use and where the line goes is two different questions.

The diplomatic corps, but anything that needs doing really.

Do you currently hold a command? I can't find you on my list.

can we gets a update on own navy, fighters, ground forces, etc.

It's currently 6th September 2026

We have one Light Cruiser with three more building (ready 25th October 2027)
We have two Guided Missile Destroyers with one more building (ready 12th March 2027)
We have no Beam Destroyers with two building (ready 12th March 2027)
We have five Geo-Survey scouts with one more building (ready 13th February 2028)
We have six Grav-Survey scouts
We have five Tankers, seven Freighters (two more building), three Colony ships (two more building), 33 Fighters, three Fighter Bases, two Missile Bases, two RADAR Bases

These are the first aliens I've ever met that aren't batshit crazy. The idea takes some getting used to.

Schwuermann hasn't left the system yet, by the way... it will take him about three and a half days to reach the exit jump point. They've still got lots of time to blast him, if they decide to do so.

Then we'll be able to take them by surprise. Open negotiations, and send in an espionage team to size up their combat capability and then jump a battlefleet in.

Boots on the ground or glass the planet, Commander. I'd be interested in getting Genetic samples so we might make a colonist suitible for colonisation of a planet we can't. Prepare salvage crews to examine their ships. Try maybe to get some ships intact.

Are the MK II missiles researched? I think its a good time to rush development, production and distribution. Are all carriers and fgt bases fully staffed with fighters?

How cost effective would it be to build more fighter bases on Earth/Mars with fully staffed squadrons?

Is it cheaper than building more destroyers/cruisers?

I think we need to go with quantity over quality given the circumstances.

Captain Qorten of RADAR Vauban is in favor of starting/continuing the examination of the possibly colonizable worlds in Groombridge and determine whether Groombridge is the home system of these aliens or not. If not and mineral depostis in the system are quite substantial we should try to acquire the system before these aliens do, if we have a chance of pulling that off.