• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If I had more units, the fate of Moscow and probably the Soviets would have been sealed.

That won't be nearly as interesting ... :p

After so much playing against AI I would be squashed against humans :D
understatement! A wellknown defense-plan of Poland would show amazing results against most humans, too. :D
On the tactical level nothing would really change, also the grand strategy, which left over the operational part, but this would be too much micromanaging at the actual state of the game.
What I like is your technology research-tree - astonishing efficient, you have even invested in a lot of 'luxus' stuff (eg. mechanized, 'Bismark' etc.)

But let's wait and see.

27 July 1941

Operation Barbarossa (Unternehmen Barbarossa) – The Fifth Week

The offensive in the Baltic continued. On 23 July 1941 Memel was liberated. On the next day the last Soviet units were crushed at Liepaja and the Soviet pocket around Memel was eliminated. About 110,000 soviets were taken prisoners.

Several more pockets in Lithuania were reduced. On 23 July Daugai was taken and on 26 July Vilnius garrison surrendered.

Heeresgruppe Nord will continue offensive North and planning to take Leningrad within few weeks.

The offensive in Ukraine stalled but the battle around Horodenka has intensified. On 24 July, the Soviets were cleaned from Horodenka again and the gap was closed again. Unfortunately around 200,000 soviets escaped through the gap. Following the arrival of reinforcements the Soviets were pushed out of Dunayivtsi in order to secure Horodenka and to prevent a second Soviet breakthrough.

410727Battles.jpg

The Battle of Minsk continues. German divisions crushed Soviet resistance in Lithuania, reached Daugava River and approached Vitsyebsk from North. Few more units are moving to Smolensk and are planning to reach Brjansk in order to close Minsk Pocket. There could be 500,000-700,000 Soviets in Bielorussia. Unfortunately, Brjansk is threatened by the Soviets and requires reinforcements which are very limited at the moment.

410727NC.jpg

410727SU.jpg

Last edited:
The main defensive divisions are a moving fortresses. :p

They are actually not bad at attacking in plains too, but very crap at crossing rivers.

That won't be nearly as interesting ... :p

Yes you are right :)

On the tactical level nothing would really change, also the grand strategy, which left over the operational part, but this would be too much micromanaging at the actual state of the game.

One thing which is very different at playing MP is the continuous game. Playing solitaire game I can stop, rethink and do micromanagement. In MP game, I believe, players have to entrust many thing to AI and I lack of that trust :eek:o

What I like is your technology research-tree - astonishing efficient, you have even invested in a lot of 'luxus' stuff (eg. mechanized, 'Bismark' etc.)

I usually go for "research efficiency" by developing mechanical and electronic computing machines a head of time which speeds up research.

I do the same with Industrial Efficiency. As Germany I see no point of developing Industrial Production.

Operation Barbarossa (Unternehmen Barbarossa) – The Sixth Week

Riga was taken on 29 July 1941. German troops are advancing north. They have already reached Pskov and Narva, and are approaching Tallinn.

The Battle of Minsk continues. However, the grip around Minsk and Smolensk is closing. Heeresbruppe Nord armoured division almost reached besieged Brjansk from North.

410803CS.jpg

In the South the battle around Horodenka continues but the Soviets have fewer and fewer chances to escape and a new pocket south of Horodenka was formed. The fate of the Little Poland Pocket is sealed while the front in central Ukraine is stable.

410803SU.jpg

Last edited:
Just build more engineers.

That would increase softness of "fortresses"

You know, you can use HQ's to drive through enemy territory...

Because of micromanagement I usually forget HQs at all. They often stay far behind and lose contact with their divisions. It probably time to make them more useful :cool:

You simply cannot hold the pockets and the front at the same time. Curses. :p

Those pockets hold me from the quick advance to Moscow. Actually, I think, that was in real history.

13 August 1941

Operation Barbarossa (Unternehmen Barbarossa) – The Sixth Week

On 7 August 1941, the Minsk Pocket was closed.

On 9 August 1941, Tallinn was taken. The offensive in the North continued. On 10 August Soviets retreated from Pskov and on 11 August, 25th Mechanised division took Leningrad.

410813Battles.jpg

By the end of the sixth week the Soviets’ Leningrad Front is in full retreat and units are only trying to escape encirclement. The whole Minsk Front was encircled in two Pockets. The Soviets in the Little Poland pocket already lost the hope to escape. They are short of supplies and moral.

410813NCS.jpg

German recon units already reached Moscow suburbs and are trying to secure all the entrances to Moscow. The only stable front so far is in Southern Ukraine.

410813SU.jpg

Last edited:
Once those pockets are reduced, the advance will get a bit faster, but be aware that weather is playing against you out there. The Russians will want to reinforce their fronts from the south at least up to Moskov.

17 August 1941

Operation Barbarossa (Unternehmen Barbarossa) – The Seventh Week

The grip around Minsk was closed. About 200,000 Soviets were taken prisoners already.

410817Battles.jpg

On 15 August 1941 Novgorod was taken. Several pockets were created in North but at the moment there is no solid front and fighting is one big mess.

Minsk should not hold for long now. The pocket was minimised and some freed divisions were sent to Moscow.

The reducing of the Little Poland pocket also has started. It is obvious that the Soviets are low on supplies and are retreating to Stanislawow.

German armoured divisions are slowly advising to Odesa.

410817SU.jpg

410817NCS.jpg

Last edited:
It is August and you can see Moscow. Close enough. :cool:

Unfortunately recon unit is too weak to push to Kremlin. I need at least 3-4 divisions more.

Once those pockets are reduced, the advance will get a bit faster, but be aware that weather is playing against you out there. The Russians will want to reinforce their fronts from the south at least up to Moskov.

Yes, like in the real Barbarossa pockets are holding me down. I hope I will take Moscow before the Soviets send reinforcements. I also commenced an offensive to Odesa in order to draw some more Soviets attention there.

24 August 1941

Operation Barbarossa (Unternehmen Barbarossa) – The Eighth Week

Leningrad front stabilised. Some small pockets in the North were eliminated.

The battle of Minsk continues but should not last more than one week. The pocket around Sumjaci was reduced significantly too.

Four German divisions arrived at Moscow. However while the divisions were deployed and prepared for a siege the Soviets abandoned the city! More Soviets are arriving to Moscow front but it is too late - Germans are already marching at the gates of Kremlin.

In the Southern Ukraine, Stanislawow was taken and the Soviets are more and more pushed to Romanian border. Germans also broke through the Soviet defences and are approaching Odesa. About 10-15 Soviet divisions risk to be cut off in an another pocket.

410824NCS.jpg

410824SU.jpg

Last edited:
Can you make an assessment about how many units you managed to destroy? What about the air war, is there something happening at all?

House rules:
  1. All campaigns start at historical time;
  2. Any non historical campaign starts only after completion of historical ones;
  3. German troops committed to a campaign are to be as small as possible;
  4. No airborne assaults or transporting;
  5. Amphibious landings are limited to attacking ports and adjacent provinces (AI does like that). Adjacent provinces could be attacked only if a port is attacked directly. The number of troops landing in the adjacent province cannot be higher than the number of troops attacking the port. If landing at adjacent provinces were made then the amphibious assault cannot be cancelled, unless, of course, transport fleet lose battle and retreat;
  6. No logistical bombing;
  7. Officer ratio no higher than 140% (SF AI tends to keep this number);
  8. Radars not bigger than Level 3.

A Normal Level game starts in 1936 but story begins from 1 September 1939. It is a gameplay with pictures telling the story.

So You are only using the minimum number of troops for the task (according to 3) :)
Reaching Moscow in August from historic start is not bad, by now the surrounded border troops should die of boredom (and lack of supplies) and the troops there can join the fun.

Operation Barbarossa (Unternehmen Barbarossa) – The Ninth Week

On 25 August 1941 German mariners entered the abandoned Kremlin.

On 30 August 1941, the battle of Minsk has ended. Another 300.000 soviets were taken prisoners.
The Sumjaci pocket was minimised too.

410831Battles.jpg

The Leningrad front collapsed. The remaining Soviet troops are in full retreat.

The battle of Little Poland continues. The Soviets are pressed to Dniester River and should surrender within next two weeks.

German mechanised division already reached Odesa’s suburbs.

Following reductions of several pockets and destruction of the Soviets in North, more and more divisions are available for the thrust in Southern Ukraine and drive to Caucasus and Stalingrad.

410831NCS.jpg

410831SU.jpg

Last edited: