• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #1 - Pops

Dev Diary 1.png

Hello everyone! I’m Mikael, Victoria 3’s lead game designer - and oh boy does it feel good to finally be able to say that out loud! Today I have the pleasure to reveal some details about that one feature everyone thinks about when they hear “Victoria” - the Pops.

Pops were introduced in the very first Victoria game to represent your country’s population. Pop mechanics have since snuck into other Paradox titles like Stellaris and Imperator. But this in-depth population simulation is what Victoria is about, and we’re going to bring you a system with more depth than ever before!

In Victoria 3, Pops are the country’s engine - they work the industries, they pay the taxes, they operate the government institutions, and they fight the wars. They’re born, they die, they change occupation, they migrate. And they organize, get angry, and start revolutions.

Every Pop is visualized so you can see which demographic sports the best moustache. Note that Pop portraits are very much a work in progress!
ClergyCrop.png

You, the player, might be in charge of the country, but you’re not in charge of the Pops and can’t manipulate them directly. Yet everything you do to the country affects them, and they in turn will react in what they perceive to be their own best interests. A large part of your game will consist of trying to sate your population’s appetites for material goods or political reform. But most actions you will take aren’t to the benefit of every Pop in your nation, and by making life better for one part of the population you may inadvertently upset another demographic.

The most important aspect of Pops are their Professions, which reflects the types of jobs it carries out in the building where they work. A Pop’s profession determines its social class and can affect its wages, political strength, what other professions it might qualify for, and particularly which political Interest Groups it’s prone to supporting (which you will hear lots more about in future Dev Diaries.) Some of the Pop professions you will encounter in Victoria 3 are Aristocrats, Capitalists, Bureaucrats, Officers, Shopkeepers, Machinists, Laborers, and Peasants. Investing in industries that provide job opportunities for the kinds of professions you want to encourage in your country is key to the “society building” gameplay of Victoria 3.

Every variation of Profession, Culture, Religion, and Workplace in the world gets its own unique Pop. At any given time this results in many tens of thousands of Pops in the world working, migrating, procreating, and agitating.
Aristocrats.png

The people that make up a Pop are distinguished into Workforce and Dependents. Members of the Workforce keep the buildings in the game operational and collect a wage from them in return. Those who cannot or aren’t permitted to be officially employed are considered Dependents. They collect only a small income from odd jobs and government programs.

Laws affect who is included in each category. At game start most countries do not accept women working and collecting a wage outside the home but by reforming laws governing the rights of women more Dependent Pops will enter the Workforce over time. By abolishing child labor, the amount of income Dependents bring home will decrease but will make it easier to educate your populace, increasing their overall Literacy. After a bloody war many Dependents of soldiers may be left without sufficient income, and you may decide to institute pensions to help your population recover.

In short: nothing in your country runs without Pops, and everything about your country affects those Pops, who in turn provide new opportunities and challenges during your tumultuous journey through the Victorian era and beyond.

I have oh so much more to say, but that is all for this week! You will hear much more from me in future Dev Diaries. Next week Martin will return to explain something quite central to the game - Capacities!

• 694Like
  • 357Love
Reactions:
One argument for this (just my thoughts not a dev) is realism. In v2 each province had a single RGO - this system more accurately simulates that it's more complex than that.

Another is (I presume) performance, dramatically decreasing the number of populations that need to be uniquely tracked sounds like it would be a performance gold mine.

For a third - it's basically not ever the case in v2 that you interact with all your provinces, they are simply to small and many fall beneath your notice - this system allows for units of people (states) that you are more plausibly going to be able to actually care about, track, and see your impact on.
You can simulate multiple RGO's per state easily. In fact, if they include multiple RGO's per state then they absolutely have to track where those are for the division of a possible state in a peace agreement.
Actually, I would not even mind if populations could move freely in a state to work on whatever RGO they like (so if you have a whole state then there is no need to track pops on an individual level) but if a state is partially conquered then it makes literally zero sense to not track pops on a per-province level. Of course, for particularly large states this would be somewhat strange but you could easily have a system where pops can work on any RGO in some sub-area around their province. (Counterpoint I can see coming: this is what a state is, but perhaps states will be large and in any event I don't think this is a problem: having pops be able to work on anything in a state is fine as long as you simulate pops on a province level for population)

So Pops are tracked on a per-province level but only for the purposes of determining how a state is divided and not for the purposes of economics (although there is no reason not to do both, this is a *compromise* I am offering) although obviously if a state was divided partially between two or more hostile powers then one would have to make the pops not work on the other side of the border.
Of course, if only a major city is taken and there is some kind of market-agreement, pops may be allowed to cross the border but I do not think this is a very relevant distincton: where a pop lives is much less important than where a pop works, and who the pop buys things from. If Shanghai has a huge base of peasants who live outside of Shanghai but work each day in Shanghai, then clearly Shanghai is the place you want to own, not where they live.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Totally accurate - or, at least, to my knowledge it is accurate for many European cultures, at least for specific professions! This is one of the reasons why we've differentiated between Workforce and Dependents, rather than Men, Women, Children, Seniors etc. There are too many idiosyncratic cultural variations - and cultures changing over the eras - to model gender norms correctly in every context.

The gameplay effect we're after here is that in the early game, a large number of Pops (whoever they may be) aren't able to contribute to the country's industrialized workforce, can't vote, can't become soldiers, etcetera. Their meager income is considered to be earned outside the dominant industries and cannot be tracked and taxed by the state, and is affected by laws like Child Labor and Pension institutions. If the country reforms its views on women they gain (among other things) greater access to workforce that can work these formal, taxed, often urban professions. But there will always be a lot of Dependents in every Pop.
If you were wearing clothes in the 19th century, a women most likely made that. And, uh, women working in textile mills certainly got taxed.

My fear here is that dependents don't produce anything tangible, meaning the primary producers of clothes no longer actually produce clothes. And textiles were one of the driving forces of the industrial revolution. So, who is going to be producing all the clothes that were historically being produced mostly by women?

Reactions:
If you were wearing clothes in the 19th century, a women most likely made that. And, uh, women working in textile mills certainly got taxed.

My fear here is that dependents don't produce anything tangible, meaning the primary producers of clothes no longer actually produce clothes. And textiles were one of the driving forces of the industrial revolution. So, who is going to be producing all the clothes that were historically being produced mostly by women?

Very much agree - although I'd also argue that the non-market part of economic (ie socially productive) activity deserves more than "it's what dependents do, and they get dribs and drabs of money for it" - both because including all of the economy makes for a far better simulation (particularly for a game like Vicky 3, where social conditions matter - I'm not suggesting I'd propose modelling domestic work in HoI4) but also because, as you well point out, women did plenty of stuff that straddled the two (for example, and as best I understand it, women's work on a peasant farm was very much work, and essential to the functioning of the farm, even if it had domestic elements as well that were less farm-centric).

And then as technology and patterns of work change, how this affects domestic workers (primarily women, children and older people) is an important pillar of the social, political and economic changes through the period (even if the game didn't go to the 1930s).

Noting that it's great that women and children are represented in the game at all - it's huge strides forwards from Vicky 2/1 - but I reckon there's scope to make bigger strides, if the devs were interested :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
As for CK3, not very fan of this whole "3D portraits" stuff, but if it stays fluid without requiring a beefy setup, I'm cool with it.

Other than that, it sounds like a nice mix of Stellaris and Vicky2 systems with some original approach too.

I think that POPs won't be explicitly modelled as residing in this or that province, but rather implicitly modelled.

For example, think about the San Francisco issue people have been discussing. Who lives in San Francisco? Farmers? Probably not. Factory workers and other urban residents.

So, if you conquer San Francisco only from California, the state will divide population based on the pops occupations, and the amount of land you took ,and what types of buildings are there. You took urban provinces only, so the pops you get in the new split state are heavily weighted towards urban occupations. Based on the workers in those buildings in the province you can know alot about how many people were living in that city.

This would all be proportional to the amount of urban areas in California, so if LA is a huge city too, you wont get ALL of the urban pops, just a hefty chunk.

If instead you take rural areas, the reverse is true. I am sure Terrain also would be a weight factor. Extreme desert areas in southern california will likely decrease the weight of how many rural pops are thought to exist there quite a bit. But if you have a city like Las Vegas, this would be overridden.

I am not sure how this ties in with cultural and religious map modes though, that is actually a more interesting problem.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think that POPs won't be explicitly modelled as residing in this or that province, but rather implicitly modelled.

For example, think about the San Francisco issue people have been discussing. Who lives in San Francisco? Farmers? Probably not. Factory workers and other urban residents.

So, if you conquer San Francisco only from California, the state will divide population based on the pops occupations, and the amount of land you took ,and what types of buildings are there. You took urban provinces only, so the pops you get in the new split state are heavily weighted towards urban occupations. Based on the workers in those buildings in the province you can know alot about how many people were living in that city.

This would all be proportional to the amount of urban areas in California, so if LA is a huge city too, you wont get ALL of the urban pops, just a hefty chunk.

If instead you take rural areas, the reverse is true. I am sure Terrain also would be a weight factor. Extreme desert areas in southern california will likely decrease the weight of how many rural pops are thought to exist there quite a bit. But if you have a city like Las Vegas, this would be overridden.

I am not sure how this ties in with cultural and religious map modes though, that is actually a more interesting problem.
Yeah, the economic part of this really isn't a problem. The cultural and religious aspect is the more pressing concern, but I'm sure there's a way for Paradox to figure that out so it works well enough.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Uhhh... what? If a province with some workplaces is captured, then those workplaces are captured. The POPs who work there are out of luck for a while or perhaps forced to work for the occupying power. It doesn't do anything to the workplaces in other provinces of the state. The bigger problem if everything is modeled at the state level is that occupying individual provinces means you need some algorithm to define how a fraction of all the workplaces are affected.
in V2 factories were done at state level

Reactions:

While I do think that it's important to note potential issues and share relevant historical facts about game systems to better them, have the developers not already mostly addressed this? By my read, dependants aren't by default women, and the exact cultural and societal situations affect who can work where, which is then modeled in the numbers one way or another. Which to me sounds like, if you compared textile and non-textile industries, the textile industry would have substantially bigger workforce and smaller dependant numbers, because far more women are part of the workforce there than in other industries.

The dependants do not produce much of substance for the society at large, but nothing says that pops working at textile industries would include women among the dependants. For the relevant cultures, they would be part of the workforce, since they, well, work.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Huh? Women and children existing are "modern political issues"????

Not what I mean. There are some themes that can be uncomfortable today when you look back. For example there are no internment camps in HOI IV and I guess Vicky will not let you genocide people.

In the case of children labor, well the sad truth in my opinion is that abolishing it outright (assassin creed comes to mind) would be impossible. Children were working because their income was needed. It could only be abolished as part of larger social reforms in the second half of the 19th century. So the game would need to reward you for keeping kids working.
Regarding women working, the situation was super diverse: would you consider a peasant's wife as working or a dependent? In industry women did work in some cases like textile but not in heavy industry for obvious reasons. I could go on for every class of pop. However a blanket equality in the 19th or even 20th century is unrealistic. While most of us (I hope) consider men and women equal, in the 19th century this was a radical and immoral belief.

In short these are real themes but they are very hard to handle in a historically respectfull way and especially without bringing modern morality into it.

• 1Like
Reactions:

If they are making clothes they are not classified as dependents, then

Reactions:
Okay. So, is the game going to model the actual reality that women made most of the textiles world wide
I doubt it's going to be specific about it. If the pops work in a textile mill, you can assume they are women, just like you can assume they are men if they work in a machine parts factory. They are literally just called Workforce and Dependents. It doesn't need more specification than that TBH.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I doubt it's going to be specific about it. If the pops work in a textile mill, you can assume they are women, just like you can assume they are men if they work in a machine parts factory. They are literally just called Workforce and Dependents. It doesn't need more specification than that TBH.

It is looking like they are defining pops by gender as well

Reactions:
It is looking like they are defining pops by gender as well
Not seen that mentioned anywhere. The closest you get are women's rights adjusting how much of a Pop is in the Workforce, but that doesn't mean the pops themselves are defined by it. Likewise for children - there are no "adult" pops and "child" pops. Only working pops and dependant pops.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Can I just say, thank you! I owned two versions of the game...one was lost. So, in the 2000+ hours I have in it I can truly say it is my favorite game of all times!!!!!

One thing, I would love if you could direct your production to go to your government first. For example, if I am the Ottomans and have Liquor factories, and wanting guards, I find I cannot get the Guard units because I lack Liquor. And at the same time my factories are selling it on the open market. This would not happen in the real world.

One other minor thing - many of the benefits, such as machineguns apply to all units, and I think it should apply differently to different types. For example, a CAV unit should not get the benefit of machineguns when attacking, only on defence.

Just a couple of thoughts.

LOVE THE GAME! And so happy V3 is coming out.

I am available for play-testing if you desire.

v/r
Karsten

• 1Like
Reactions: