• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #23 - Multiplayer

Good news everyone!

Today’s Dev Diary will be about Multiplayer and what makes it so great in Stellaris.

Let's start with the basics. Players are able to host games with 32 player designed empires and optionally, several extra randomized AI empires. If you have a new person who would like to join an ongoing campaign they can hotjoin into an already existing empire. This also allows the players to leave or take a break from the ongoing multiplayer campaign and leave their empire in the capable hands of the AI. The host may also choose to host a multiplayer game from a save game allowing players to play grand campaigns lasting several weeks.

stellaris_dev_diary_23_01_20160229_other_player.jpg

One of our longstanding issues with multiplayer is that clients desynchronize, which is usually solved by having the host rehost the game, but this can be quite a menace when playing multiplayer with 20+ people, so we’ve decided that this is an issue we should prioritize higher in Stellaris. Thanks to persistent testing and fixing of out-of-syncs as soon as they happen, we’ve managed to make Stellaris our most stable multiplayer experience yet, allowing us to run stable multiplayer with up to and probably more than 32 players. We test our multiplayer stability weekly by playing multiplayer with our betas and the developers on the project, and it’s loads of fun.

stellaris_dev_diary_23_02_20160229_player_empire.jpg

We’ve designed Stellaris with a couple of things which affects the multiplayer experience which you might want to know.

One of them is that empires have a relationship value of other empires, but the value doesn’t decide the options a player can take against another empire but decides the responses AI controlled countries gives to your requests, demands and offers.

Another thing which Stellaris has that our other grand strategy games don’t is a symmetrical and randomized start, this means that in a multiplayer game everyone starts on more or less equal terms. This makes the game, in our experience, more competitive and a lot of fun. Will you be able to claim ownership of that specifically resource rich system before your neighbor? Or should you enter an alliance to stop a specific neighbor from expanding in your direction?

One more thing which affects the multiplayer experience on an early stage is that players are anonymous until you have established communications with their empires, making you unable to know whether the first aliens you meet will be your greatest allies or your worst enemies.

Next week is all about the AI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
not interested at all in MultiPlayer in the Paradox strategy games: I love (and play) Multiplayer ONLY in turn based strategy games, both "WE-GO" or "IGO-UGO".

still,as usual, another very enteresting Stellaris DD.
I don't understand that. I've found turn based games all but unplayable in multiplayer beyond like 3 people, where as in Paradox games you have 20+ easily.

Reactions:
I hope the problems with using different OS will be fixed.
It sux that I can play EU4 with only half of my friends.

When we play in the office, there are about 2-3 Linux players and I think 1 Mac player. Linux/Mac usually have the same OOS issues due to being compiled by the same compiler.

Reactions:
How is score absent from ckII and eu4? It's right there, top right corner, always.
Yeah you've a personal score, although given how it's calculated from prestige & piety on leader death it's not really as indicative of player strength as it is in say, civ, where pretty much every aspect of your empire is factored into the score in some way.
Not sure if you can see another human player's score in ck2 (I mostly play it single player, civ is my multiplayer game) though you can see, prestige, titles, troop count (a newer one, but very handy) etc, so maybe Stellaris will be like that, more comprehensive and diverse information rather than a consolidated and abstracted "score".
"Stagnant Ascendancy" - you can play as one of the forerunners?!
If you look at the checkbox for "Fallen Empires" at the top of that list. It is coloured the same as the "Stagnant Ascendency".
So I think it's maybe just for engaging fallen empires in diplomacy.

I also really like the idea of a checkbox to start players off near each other, whatever about a game with 20+ people in it, but for playing with 2-4 friends it would be really cool to be able to start off in the same quadrant.

Reactions:
I don't understand that. I've found turn based games all but unplayable in multiplayer beyond like 3 people, where as in Paradox games you have 20+ easily.

in "WE-GO" multiplayer turn based strategy games ALL players (2 or 30+ and more) do their turn at the same time and at a setted time the Host run.

"IGO-UGO" are better suited for 2 players only or anyway for a small amount of players.

Looking forward to this :)

MP is the only way to a challenging gaming experience. Back in the day we used to play HoI2 with ~10-15 people. Ah, good times.

Requires dedication and proper scheduling. We always used monday evenings/nights :)

Our campaigns usually took 3-6 months.

Reactions:
One of our longstanding issues with multiplayer is that clients desynchronize, which is usually solved by having the host rehost the game, but this can be quite a menace when playing multiplayer with 20+ people, so we’ve decided that this is an issue we should prioritize higher in Stellaris. Thanks to persistent testing and fixing of out-of-syncs as soon as they happen, we’ve managed to make Stellaris our most stable multiplayer experience yet, allowing us to run stable multiplayer with up to and probably more than 32 players. We test our multiplayer stability weekly by playing multiplayer with our betas and the developers on the project, and it’s loads of fun.

Please, please let this be true. Please.

When we play in the office, there are about 2-3 Linux players and I think 1 Mac player. Linux/Mac usually have the same OOS issues due to being compiled by the same compiler.
I was already assured once by the Stellaris devs that MP *should* work for Linux as well (crossplatform), so I'm rather hopeful.
That said the situation with EU4 got worse (immediate desync now) and while the last time I tried CK2 MP was many patches ago, it was just as bad.

Not sure what to think: "third time the charm" VS "fool me once...". I might wait with purchase to see if people are experiencing the same issues that has plagued other games. I'm only moderately-hyped about Stellaris SP content anyway.

Reactions:
I was already assured once by the Stellaris devs that MP *should* work for Linux as well (crossplatform), so I'm rather hopeful.
That said the situation with EU4 got worse (immediate desync now) and while the last time I tried CK2 MP was many patches ago, it was just as bad.

Not sure what to think: "third time the charm" VS "fool me once...". I might wait with purchase to see if people are experiencing the same issues that has plagued other games. I'm only moderately-hyped about Stellaris SP content anyway.

Hotjoin worked perfectly in EU4, till they refused to fix it later on, and EU4 is still unstable despite they release countless expansions...

Reactions:
Another problem is, even if Stellaris MP is perfect now, who is to say that next patch won't break it all and we start running into the same issues experienced with EU4 and CK2?

Admittedly, I think the best solution would be a way to re-sync the game without having to stop and restart, ie, reload from the host within the game. So even if they do occur, the game will fix itself, without an entire rigmarole.

Sure, it might penalise someone if the result of desync was due to an event error or so from the client, but as it starts, it would default to the hosts version anyway in the rehost, so it isn't really a 'big deal'.

Reactions:
Good news everyone!
Let's start with the basics. Players are able to host games with 32 player designed empires and optionally, several extra randomized AI empires. If you have a new person who would like to join an ongoing campaign they can hotjoin into an already existing empire. This also allows the players to leave or take a break from the ongoing multiplayer campaign and leave their empire in the capable hands of the AI. The host may also choose to host a multiplayer game from a save game allowing players to play grand campaigns lasting several weeks.
/QUOTE]

Can I assume that this player count and extra AI empires are just referring to the "new" races to the galaxy?

So that Fallen Empires and late emergent races aren't included in this count?

Hotjoin worked perfectly in EU4, till they refused to fix it later on, and EU4 is still unstable despite they release countless expansions...
MP (of any kind) never worked on Linux for EU4 and CK2. [at least for me and a bunch of other people]
CK2 SP had large issues but it was *playable*, and EU4 worked almost perfectly. MP though? Not even with one other friend (that didn't run Linux).

MP (of any kind) never worked on Linux for EU4 and CK2. [at least for me and a bunch of other people]
CK2 SP had large issues but it was *playable*, and EU4 worked almost perfectly. MP though? Not even with one other friend (that didn't run Linux).

If you use Linux, you should also maintain Windows for gaming. There is a way to maintain both operating systems by slitting your hard disk in two and have Windows on one half and Linux on the other

If you use Linux, you should also maintain Windows for gaming. There is a way to maintain both operating systems by slitting your hard disk in two and have Windows on one half and Linux on the other
I'm aware of this possibility and have done so in the past, but why should I need to dual boot? I expect the game to work on the platform if it's advertised as supported. I'm not running it via wine or some other emulation, but by using the official steam client.
Gaming on Linux is a reality, and I don't feel like I'm losing something since I made the switch to Linux completely.
The games I care about all work on Linux: Paradox Studio games, SpringRTS engine games, Victor Vran, Civilization 5, Cities:Skylines, Shadowrun, and so on. Heck, there's even a Divinity Original Sin client now.

It is unfortunate that I can't play HOI and Victoria but I expect Paradox to remedy that with the new releases soon ;)

Rather than gaming I'm usually more annoyed with Microsoft Word files always causing an issue with formatting if using some of the open source documenting editing alternatives.

"
Edit: 1st Star flock... hmn, I think I preferred referring to Avian fleets as "Murder". Please tell me there's a crow-like Avian species.

Your going to confuse their swedish translators!! ....as well as some young english speakers.