• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone!

Way back in Dev Diary 152, we discussed some planetary changes that we experimented with during summer 2019. At the time, we decided that while we learned a lot from the experiment, they required significant additional refinement before being something we wanted to incorporate into Stellaris.

Summer 2020 gave us the additional time we needed to revive these (and some other) experiments. Our primary objectives were to reduce the mid to late game micromanagement burden and provide quality of life improvements, including generally making the prebuilding of planets more viable, making planetary automation reliable enough to be trusted in the mid to late game, and making dealing with unemployment and pops easier.

We’ll be talking about these subjects in multiple dev diaries over the next couple of months.

Industrial Districts

Planet View Showing Industrial Districts

Azure Chalice is… er, was... a lovely place.

The planet view has shifted things around a bit and now supports the display of up to six district types. Most planets will have five district types available. This extra real estate could also be of special interest to modders.

The new brownish-orange district next to the City District is the revived Industrial District. Industrial Districts are treated as urban districts (and as such are not limited by planetary features), but rather than the Laborers that split their output from the original experiment, we’ve decided to have the districts provide regular empires one Artisan and one Metallurgist job. Gestalts have either two Foundry Drones or Fabricators as appropriate.

Industrial District tooltip (regular empire)

Work, work, work.

Factories and Foundries will still exist but are now planet unique, with the first tier building adding 2 jobs to the planet just like the old versions. The upgraded versions, however, will now add either 1 or 2 jobs of the appropriate type to each Industrial District on the planet.

Ecumenopoli will retain their specialized districts, but can be boosted by the Foundry or Factory buildings. The number of jobs per district on ecumenopoli have been adjusted somewhat as part of an overall economic balance pass. Since Industrial Districts are considered urban, a planet with a mix of City and Industrial Districts can be paved over and turned into an Ecumenopolis using the Arcology Project decision.

Since districts are now much more critical to the development of your civilization, the average size of homeworlds has been increased by 2, and as an additional side effect, the Mastery of Nature Ascension Perk may also become a bit more desirable.

Building Slots

I’m sure you’ve already noticed from the above screenshot, Building Slots no longer list population counts. Instead of relying on population, they're opened up by increasing the infrastructure of the planet. This is generally done by building City Districts (or their equivalent) or by upgrading the colony's Capital building. As a pleasant side effect of this, your buildings will no longer get ruined when a pop gets resettled, ritually killed, or eaten by mutants.
City District tooltip
Planetary Administration tooltip

Build up that infrastructure.

Two new technologies that unlock additional Building Slots have also been added, Ceramo-Metal Infrastructure and Durasteel Infrastructure. They represent the civilian adoption of military technology, and as such require some government techs and the associated armor technologies. The Adaptability tradition tree, for those that have it, still has a tech that grants a Building Slot as well.

As specialized and advanced worlds, Ecumenopoli, Ring Worlds, Hive Worlds, and Machine Worlds start with all of their building slots unlocked.

Habitats are intended to feel a bit cramped, so while Habitation Modules do not open up Building Slots, the Voidborne Ascension Perk will continue to grant two Building Slots to those that choose to embrace living in space.

The MegaCorps out there may ask “but what about our Branch Offices?” - we’ve got you covered.

Locked Branch Office building slot tooltip

Insider Trading. Institutionalized corruption exploited by the upper classes, or just greasing the wheels of trade?

Branch Offices will tie their slots to the level of the colony’s capital building. For example, a Planetary Administration building will grant one Branch Office Building Slot, a Planetary Capital will grant two, and a System Capital-Complex would grant three. If the target empire has the Insider Trading tradition, you’ll have one extra Branch Office Building Slot. (This may grant you a Branch Office building even on newly colonized worlds, if your business plan expects it to be profitable.)

But Why?

By decoupling the building unlocks from population growth, it makes it much easier to “prebuild” a planet to varying degrees. It removes some of the tedium of waiting for that last pop to finish growing before a slot unlocks, as well as the negative experience that occurred when a critical pop moved or died right at the wrong time. This change went through many iterations - in one of them the rural and industrial districts added "fractional" slots, in another the capital buildings gave more slots at each upgrade. The combination of having both City Districts and the Capital Building contributing to the slots, along with the additional techs, finally felt right. It's nice when even a newly founded Colony possesses at least one open building slot since it lets you immediately begin construction of a Spawning Pool or other high value building right away.

Moving the essential secondary resources of Consumer Goods and Alloys to districts frees up the building slots a little bit and creates a greater differentiation between heavily urbanized or industrial planets and resource generating colonies. Qualitatively we also felt that it "feels nice" to be getting more of your physical resources from the district level, leaving the Building Slots for more unique and specialized needs.

Both of these changes also happen to make some planetary automation decisions a little easier - your Tech Worlds should clearly build a mix of City and Industrial districts, for instance, to make room for Research Labs as well as to provide the Consumer Goods needed to pay for them. We do recognize that it may be difficult - or even impossible - to unlock all Building Slots on a planet that has not been urbanized, but those resource generating planets often do not have quite as strong a need for a large number of buildings.

Ideally in the mid to late game you could colonize a planet, set the colony designation you want for the planet, turn on automation, and reasonably expect the planet to be in decent shape - and doing what you told it to - the next time you look at it. (In the early game it's certainly possible, but your empire's economy may not be stable enough to support dedicated worlds and your colonies may be better off with direct caretaking.)

We have a few other experiments that are still ongoing that affect the relationship between urbanized vs. less developed planets that are not entirely conclusive yet. If they prove out we'll discuss them later on in this series of diaries. Our current plan for next week's diary is to talk more about the automated colony management overhaul as well as the automatic and manual resettlement of pops.

As a reminder, we have an ongoing feedback thread related to AI improvements we have in beta on the stellaris_test branch. We'd love to get more people on it and telling us what they think about them. (Please note that 2.8.1 is an optional beta patch. You have to manually opt in to access it. Go to your Steam library, right click on Stellaris -> Properties -> betas tab -> select "stellaris_test" branch.)

Thanks!

Ring Worlds will have massive Industrial Segments.
One question about this, how many of each job will those have? And will these changes somehow affect the Artisan jobs that already come with Commercial districts?

Also, ringworld segments usually each cost a different rare resource, which rare resource would Industrial segments use? Crystals as well?

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think I know how to resolve this control vs. streamlining dilemma with industrial districts.

Merge the two jobs as was proposed in the old diary, so the resource income could be fully regulated by the empire-wide policy; BUT change the policy so that instead of just boosting the production of one and decreasing the production of another it would do so in accordance with each world’s specialization. I.e. change the alloy/CD ratio to 70/20% on forge worlds and to 20/70% on industrial worlds, with the rest specializations being unaffected.

Pros: (1) no micro, (2) control over your resource production on two levels – big sledgehammer empire-wide policy and surgical specialization on individual planets, (3) unlike edicts, specialization switch doesn’t cost anything, so it’s more appealing (and also easier to manage as you can see it on you planet tab iirc), (4) makes more sense for a policy to serve as a general steering wheel for your empire, and not as a “slider” where you determine the precise alloy/CD gross ratio, (5) you’ll always get 100% of your districts as you do not have to disable the undesired jobs. Plus, gives even more meaning to the specializations.

On another topic, I think the idea to give the buildings that produce “non-material” resources the same treatment as the others have got is really solid. City districts only produce ephemeral trade value and amenities anyway, it only makes more sense to tie all those systems together. Plus it will reduce the amount of buildings needed overall (and thus the micro), remove “spammable building” as a concept altogether, and bring exotic gases economy in line with the other two. And on the top of that, will make city districts all the more desirable. Anyway, I like the idea a lot.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Its an interesting change, but if alloys/consumer goods will be more tied to districts now, its all the more imperative to grant the AI the ability to replace districts, which they currently cannot do. This also effectively locks the AI out of making ecumenopolis worlds.

Reactions:
Will the AI be able to use these new districts?

Will the AI be able to use these new districts?
reading between the lines, I think this change is a roundabout way of making sector automation much more efficient->makes the Ai much more efficient, since they are essentially sector automated for their whole empire.
Also the modding potential is amazing. SIX slots on the vanilla UI!

Reactions:
  • 10Haha
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Entonces no se podran mejorar mas ?? es que tengo una mega corporacion (liga comercial) con el origen de vivir en estaciones. Me quedo con algunos sistemas y construyo para arriba sin colonizar porque son muy poco adaptables, como si fueran ciudades estados en el espacio.
Google Translate:
So they can't be improved any more? is that I have a mega corporation (commercial league) with the origin of living in stations. I keep some systems and build up without colonizing because they are very little adaptable, as if they were city-states in space.
I also worry what the changes will do to Voidborn origins. My last game was a Voidborn Megacorp that started trapped with only 4 systems available and a marauder blocking all exits and no planets to colonize. I still managed perfectly fine despite such a poor situation, I'm not sure that would be the case if habitats struggle just to cover their upkeep costs and use their reduced number of building slots for hydroponic farms.

Habitats have less than half the districts a planet has. Habitats will have fewer building slots than planets and use some to produce food. To keep them viable habitats may need much stronger buildings and districts if they are ever going to compete with a single building that can add 50+ jobs at a time.

If my math is right the single building(a fully upgraded alloy foundry) would only provide 50 jobs if you have 24 industrial districts.

That being said you do have a point. But one of the posts on the second page seems to indicate that Habitats are being tweaked in some manner to fit the system, presumably so that they do indeed not lose out by a massive margin.

Sorry but you guys are going to need to do a bit better of convincing for this. The industrial District neat concept, I remember posting interest in it back in 2019. The decoupling pop number to building slots, cool, this will allow planets to begin their specialization a bit earlier which is neat.
But now lets get into the details.
#1: The industrial districts, cool idea I support it but, they are worthless at the moment. They only give 2 jobs and 2 housing which by the way those 2 jobs mean next to nothing with how little they produce. Which ok, but then that leads us to number 2.
#2: Those districts need and require the industrial and factory buildings to be useful in the slightest which takes up building slots which leads to problem number 3.
#3: Why are you removing 4 building slots, and just making it even harder to get even more. To add more gas to the fire you look back at problem 2, with need for more buildings just to make the district worthwhile. When I say more I am talking potentially 4 buildings which would be fine if there were 16 build slots.

In all the ideas are neat and I think the majority of the community is content/fine/support with them; but, the implementation really needs worked on. For possible solutions, making decision on planets for industrialization that allows industrial/city districts give more open building slots. Another is just increasing output and input needed by the districts. Another can be to to just keep the building slots there and not remove them. where as another solution could be to do some combination of the 3.

But I guess we'll see, there are still more dev diaries to come out. The only down side I see is that once after this is the fact the the dev diary was posted meaning the change is likely to take effect as is.

P.S. to the devs working on bugs and performance, you guys are Heroes and we all appreciate you.

That statement sounds really good until you actually play games like that - they're really good, and then you never play them again.
And yet people play Go – one of the most starkly minimalist tabletop games – more than once.

Even when they only have a computer to play against.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And yet people play Go – one of the most starkly minimalist tabletop games – more than once.

Even when they only have a computer to play against.
It's almost as if there are lots of different kinds of games and people play them in varying ways and for different reasons, and any attempt to make a statement that's true of all games will inevitably fail.

• 5Haha
Reactions:
Just realized Consumer Goods and Alloys will be produced in the same district. That's bizarre, no other resource is produced like that.

Personally I would rather have Alloys and Consumer Goods in separate districts. Say, Heavy Industrial District and Light Industrial District or something like that.

I think it would also should be more important to produce more consumer goods. Consumer Goods and Food both share the same problem right now - as long as you don't have a deficit, it is not necessary to care. Alloys are a BIG bottle-neck, nobody really cares about CGs.

Also, just because you have one type of industry, doesn't mean you have the other. I think a good case here is the Soviet Union - they had strong Heavy Industry, but their Light Industry was inferior and smaller.

Way I see it, Industry producing Alloys with minerals would represent turning raw material minerals into more complex materials - like turning iron into steel, or tin and copper into bronze, or titanium into armor plating. Which goes into things like spaceships and such.

Meanwhile, CGs represent things people use every day. Civilian stuff. Chairs, cigarretes, holodecks, ladders, flying cars, the works.

I think it would make sense to take a cue from HOI and have separate districts for Alloys and CGs. Like how Hearts of Iron IV has a division between Civilian Factories and Industrial Factories. However, you can convert one into the other - so your car factory can, with some retooling, start producing jeeps for the war effort.}

I also think that it would make it easier to specialize a world for producing either alloys or CGs.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
This is a good change.

I would argue they should go all the way and integrate all jobs you spam into districts. Researchers and bureaucrats.

One critical tweak i highly recommend is integrating building upkeep into job upkeep, because building upkeep discourages prebuilding.

Currently prebuilding is strategically inexcusable. You basically decide to waste energy becuase you are getting annoyed with the micromanagement.

I understand that from a realistic standpoint even unused stuff may require maintenance, but regular use requires way more, and currently especially when conquering undesirables, it makes more sense to go around destroying infrastructure instead of letting buildings and districts stand empty and unused and unpowered, simply because you can't afford the electricity bill.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will there be a rebalance on how many jobs buildings provide? Previously planets specialized towards low-job buildings, such as fortress or refinery worlds, worked by using rural districts to fill in the job gap in order to maintain the population required for building slots. It looks like the new system is better for fully specializing, but now it seems that instead we will see planets with tons of cities to unlock the building slots and thus there will only be relatively few pops and a huge excess of housing.

Last edited:
Reactions: