• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
2021? Damn, we are in the future now boys and girls!

I wanted to write this diary because it feels like it's been a really long time since we chatted. Well I guess it wasn’t that long actually but 2020 has definitely made everything feel like its taken forever ;D

2020 has probably been the most challenging year so far for the team since release. The COVID-19 situation really messes with your wellbeing, even if your life normally is chilling inside with your cat and computer games so I hope you are all taking care of yourselves. Looking back I think we overestimated direct impacts to work efficiency and absolutely underestimated impacts to mental health and general well being - things that are also incredibly important for doing a good job and being productive, as well as helping to onboard new members to a team. We have absolutely been impacted, and as a result I want to be pretty clear that you should not expect the next big expansion to drop before summer this year, which is what I was planning before COVID hit us right after La Resistance dropped.
I know a lot of you have been asking about dates for diaries to start up and for us to show stuff again, but you are going to have to wait a bit longer for that. I can say though that the expansion we are brewing up is gonna be pretty sweet I think and focus on a lot of things people have been wishing for :)

So, given that there was no PDXCON last year, where I normally do this, I felt I should take this opportunity to drop some statistics on you all…

Player Counts
With COVID keeping us all inside we and I suspect a lot of the rest of the gaming industry has seen a lot more players than normal playing. I know personally I have gotten a lot more gaming in. It's going to be interesting to see if there is a dip once our lives go back to normal again (whenever that may be).

graph.png

Top Mods
I am just highlighting the biggest total conversion mods here, and % numbers are based off daily player numbers.

TopMods.jpg

I think the standout here is TNO having jumped up in popularity quite rapidly during the year so congrats to the team behind that! Also feel free to chime in in comments if you think we have any other big up and coming mod to keep eyes on!

Road to 56 and KR keeping their top spots from before, and I also want to say that I am really inspired and impressed by the cool video and other transmedia content the KR team is putting out. I’m eager to see if any other mod teams do similar stuff in the future :cool:

Top 20 played nations
Counting most sessions > 5h

Germany - 17.9%
Italy - 7.4%
Soviet - 7.7%
France - 5.5%
Turkey - 5.1%
Britain - 4.7%
USA - 4.6%
Japan - 3.9%
Hungary - 3.7%
Spain - 3.2%
Greece - 3.0%
Romania - 2.0%
China - 1.9%
PRC - 1.9%
Bulgaria - 1.8%
Yugoslavia - 1.7%
Netherlands - 1.5%
Portugal - 1.5%
Mexico - 1.4%
Czechoslovakia - 1.2%

I think it's really cool to see Turkey this high. It was always popular but with Battle for the Bosporus it jumped up overall 60%. Greece and Bulgaria also more than doubled in popularity.

While I got you all gathered here reading, I also want to make sure to highlight here that there was an accidental released update of the launcher and that the launcher team is working on reverting that as quickly as they can as it introduced some bugs. Read about it here. I also want to say that we have received increasing amounts of reports of people using cheat tools to mess with multiplayer games over christmas, and we are looking into it.

See you all later, and to be clear this is not the start of regular diaries just yet. You'll have to be patient a bit longer on that front.

Last edited:
Absolutely cynical king.

To be the devil's advocate, this is not necessarily worse than seeing things the other way. Hype based on the fact that a long silence means paradox is working on something big is bound to lead to disappointment upon realizing the next expension, no matter how big, will (most likely) not be a groundbreaking change that forever alters the very way we see and understand the game.
As far as I am aware, the HoI4 team is fairly small. One person can only work on one thing at a time, and if they have any organization at all they're probably not working on a different feature every day. If, as they claim, they have nothing concrete enough to show in a dev diary, it probably means they're not working on seventy features at a time, lest you'd think they'd have finished or dropped some before starting others, and thus they're simply not done yet with whatever few things their team has been working on from the start. It's unlikely they'll have thousands of things to showcase when they start the dev diary.

While trashing the expansion's future content before it's even made at all might be a bit harsh, moderating the hype is important, for hype is the main cause of disappointment. I don't think we should expect something like the biggest expension yet plus many surprises we cannot imagine.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I really do hope that Japan gets a rework. Expanding the decisions of restoring the Emporer's rule or keeping the Emporer as a figure for the Public. Such as a focus tree that intertwines with Manchukuo Focus Tree better. Better planning for a Russian offensive. Maybe even making it, so that you can put in a White Russia puppet. Either based on Manchukuo or forming the puppet after capturing Vladivostok. Maybe have a system, where you can sign White Peace with Russia after you capture small portions of land. Eventually leading you to have a fairly large swathe of land.

The historical path could have a greater emphasis on the China war. While also being able to incite native rebellions in the European colonies. Maybe have this tied as an in-between for the Ahistorical and historical paths. But a way for you to be able to get China as an ally. Such as winning a war that devastates China, so they are more inclined to follow the Japanese lead for its support.

It'd also be cool. If you strengthen the Monarchy of Japan. You can go against tradition, and marry one of the many princesses around the world. Could you imagine how cool it'd be if you could have a royal marriage between Japan and one of the Russian Princesses and have them lead the new defacto Russian monarchy? Even marrying into France, Britain, or Italy?

Either way, a Japanese rework isn't the most crucial right now. I'm just imagining how much of the community would be upset if it came out that Japan was getting a rework before Italy and Russia.

P.S if we don't get the ability to put any of the Russian Princess as a leader, I'll be a bit peeved.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really do hope that Japan gets a rework. Expanding the decisions of restoring the Emporer's rule or keeping the Emporer as a figure for the Public. Such as a focus tree that intertwines with Manchukuo Focus Tree better. Better planning for a Russian offensive. Maybe even making it, so that you can put in a White Russia puppet. Either based on Manchukuo or forming the puppet after capturing Vladivostok. Maybe have a system, where you can sign White Peace with Russia after you capture small portions of land. Eventually leading you to have a fairly large swathe of land.

The historical path could have a greater emphasis on the China war. While also being able to incite native rebellions in the European colonies. Maybe have this tied as an in-between for the Ahistorical and historical paths. But a way for you to be able to get China as an ally. Such as winning a war that devastates China, so they are more inclined to follow the Japanese lead for its support.

It'd also be cool. If you strengthen the Monarchy of Japan. You can go against tradition, and marry one of the many princesses around the world. Could you imagine how cool it'd be if you could have a royal marriage between Japan and one of the Russian Princesses and have them lead the new defacto Russian monarchy? Even marrying into France, Britain, or Italy?

Either way, a Japanese rework isn't the most crucial right now. I'm just imagining how much of the community would be upset if it came out that Japan was getting a rework before Italy and Russia.

P.S if we don't get the ability to put any of the Russian Princess as a leader, I'll be a bit peeved.
Japan was already reworked, so I doubt this will happen before hoi5, unless hoi4 has a much longer development cycle than a usual Paradox game.

Reactions:
Japan was already reworked, so I doubt this will happen before hoi5, unless hoi4 has a much longer development cycle than a usual Paradox game.

I agree that we will not see large reworks of the trees already done, but as we saw BTB we could see small modifications and extensions of these as we saw in Yugoslavia or Romania

• 3Like
Reactions:

Additional decisions for any nations is surely welcomed. Such as Lithuania's "Move Capital to Vilnius" or Venezuela's "Offer Protection of Curacao".

Maybe a strong Argentina can earn the Falklands and South Georgia by entering UK's faction with a decision

Or, related to your post, decisions for Japan to incite rebellion in India (using the now-shelved "Azad Hind" events), Phillipines, and Indonesia.

And the ultimate decision: should Japan finished China, but not yet signed the NAP with Soviets and attacking the Allies: Operation Kantokuen

Reactions:
The historical Mode is the must have one, which haven´t to be touched or changed to let the What-If-Modes get stable working.

The other ones (the called what if-Modes) can be optimised only, if the Historical Mode get stable as it is. The What-If-Scenarios / Modes are a nice Feature and an Prototype in the Hoi-Series.

All Titels before were fully Historical with not so many Options there.

The Develelopment of Hoi 4 isn´t finished yet. There are many things on the To-Do-List from the Devs. What we have is the Ground-Base from such a Game with Espionage, Political Options, Fokus Trees (which are a must have to steer the Country), modified Sea War and Shipbuildup and other Ground Bases for such a Game.

The very very cool Things will first come (like Special-Projects, an refit for the Airforce and Army in all Parts etc.) in the next Patches and DLC´s, beginning with 1.11 "Barbarossa" and the unknown DLC for it. Maybe it get called the Skandinavian or the 3 East-Sea States (Lativa and the other 2).

And if the Development goes on, it will be maybe Hoi 5 later on.

The historical Mode is the must have one, which haven´t to be touched or changed to let the What-If-Modes get stable working.

The other ones (the called what if-Modes) can be optimised only, if the Historical Mode get stable as it is. The What-If-Scenarios / Modes are a nice Feature and an Prototype in the Hoi-Series.

All Titels before were fully Historical with not so many Options there.

The Develelopment of Hoi 4 isn´t finished yet. There are many things on the To-Do-List from the Devs. What we have is the Ground-Base from such a Game with Espionage, Political Options, Fokus Trees (which are a must have to steer the Country), modified Sea War and Shipbuildup and other Ground Bases for such a Game.

The very very cool Things will first come (like Special-Projects, an refit for the Airforce and Army in all Parts etc.) in the next Patches and DLC´s, beginning with 1.11 "Barbarossa" and the unknown DLC for it. Maybe it get called the Skandinavian or the 3 East-Sea States (Lativa and the other 2).

And if the Development goes on, it will be maybe Hoi 5 later on.

Why even playing if everything has to be historical?

I played HOI2 and HOI3 and in HOI2 were also some ahistoric possibilities
Even a alliance between Germany and Soviets was possible, but very rare

And HOI3 with the political Spheres ... yay
I played once as Germany and watched UK fight against Soviets because Belgium was communist
No idea why, but it was possible

I agree with you, that historical things have to be balanced before ahistoric stuff can be useful

No?

CK3 has its first DLC coming out already.

HOI4 we aren't hearing anything till summer, which implies probably nothing until christmas/next year.

They said we shouldn’t expect the expansion to be out before summer, so I think Dev diaries will probably start soonish and conclude late fall-december

Reactions:
No?

CK3 has its first DLC coming out already.

HOI4 we aren't hearing anything till summer, which implies probably nothing until christmas/next year.
What are you talking about? CK3 hasn't had any DLC yet. The team's update as of yesterday said that a smaller DLC was coming out 'soon-ish' but given we haven't had any dev diaries on it it definitely won't be in the next 3 weeks (the 8th of March Paradox event).

Reactions:
If we get new Info in March, then it´s good. If not, then we have to wait longer.

But If I remember correctly, the Devs said the will work with 2 Teams for Hoi 4. One on Patch 1.11 "Barbarossa" with the unknown "DLC" and the other one with Freelancers was first working on the very very cool In Between-Step Patch 1.10 "Collie" with the BoP-DLC. Now all 2 are working with the Freelancers on Patch 1.11 "Barbarossa" and the "Unknown DLC" for it.

Then Patch 1.11 "Barbarossa" and the "Unknown DLC" were the longest Upgrade / Refit / Rework for Hoi 4 with many many Jobsites (beginning with full Army- / Airforce R & D as well as fully Economic R & D, then fully Army and Airforce-Battle-Refit and other things with Focuses, Decissions etc. on) with 1,5 Years of Development.

And that will only the beginning, that´s for sure after the Gap-Fillers with the first DLC´s and the Main-Refit for the Navy was done, which make the Game at last Playable. Good Thanks! The complete Navy-Rework was a BIG BIG MUST HAVE. And the People which say anything else get smashed from the 99 % which fight for that to make the Game Playable.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I'd rather pay money for a new, good Japan focus tree than an incredibly good focus tree for Mongolia. Most people don't even play these small countries anyway, so it's definitely puzzling to me that some of these big majors, especially Japan with its extremely barebones and disappointing focus tree get neglected.

We're in a paradoxical situation where these small and marginal countries are getting new content which is mostly really high quality, while the countries with the most replayability and most potential for epic scope tend to have content that is mediocre at best in comparison.

Here's hoping they can make a USSR and Italy rework that rivals the best focus trees we have seen yet like that of Portugal, Bulgaria, Turkey..

Reactions:
I'd rather pay money for a new, good Japan focus tree than an incredibly good focus tree for Mongolia. Most people don't even play these small countries anyway, so it's definitely puzzling to me that some of these big majors, especially Japan with its extremely barebones and disappointing focus tree get neglected.

We're in a paradoxical situation where these small and marginal countries are getting new content which is mostly really high quality, while the countries with the most replayability and most potential for epic scope tend to have content that is mediocre at best in comparison.

Here's hoping they can make a USSR and Italy rework that rivals the best focus trees we have seen yet like that of Portugal, Bulgaria, Turkey..
Well. This is digging your own grave. Five years of waiting for Soviet reworking and every time an excuse: it's a lot of work. The developers themselves set expectations beyond the requirement. If, after five years of waiting, this is not something that will blow mind - well it will be a huge disappointment and a rethinking of support and purchasing a product.

Reactions:
But whom would that princess marry?
Hirohito himself was already married, and his sons were children.

Reactions: