• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 17th of May 2022

Hello there and welcome to our next Development Diary for Europa Universalis IV! For this week we will take a dive into the mission tree for Riga and into the additions to the game from the free update. So let’s get started!

Located at a commercially advantageous position, Riga enjoyed great wealth and affluence between the 13th and 15th century, during which she served as part of the well-known Hanseatic League. Despite its size, the city survived for many centuries, eventually becoming a manufacturing and mercantile center of whichever power had influence in their surrounding territory.

As for its mission tree we try to answer one question: is it possible to make playing (and staying as) an OPM enjoyable? The Rigan mission tree is relatively small, but it will lead your OPM of Riga into an unique direction of gameplay.
Rigan mission tree.png
The mission tree is split into three branches, focusing each on different tasks for your nation to do. Starting with the smallest of the three, the “City against the State” and “Develop Our City” missions focus on establishing authority of the Archbishop over the city of Riga as historically the city itself was very autonomous of its ruler.
What makes these missions special is that their rewards are the nature of the modifiers granted by them. Unlike usual permanent modifiers, your capital receives these triggered modifiers:
Rigan perma modifiers.png
The most right branch of the mission tree is made of the military missions. Although the intended playstyle is staying as small as possible, it is apparent that a beautiful city such as Riga needs a buffer state to keep it protected from Novgorod and the jaws of Commonwealth. Because of this the mission “Raise Riga’s Defense” will give you a subjugation casus belli against the Livonian Order. You will also gain +10% Morale for a limited amount of time, but that is all you get, so good luck in your first war.

“Subjugate the Livonians” will give you your final subjugation casus belli against the Teutonic Order and unlock decisions which will handle the estate privileges of your Livonian subject.
After the mission “Punish the Teutonic Order” you get the following event:
Teutonic Subjugation.png
Finally, the mission “The Knights of Riga” will be completable when you manage to keep the Teutonic Order and the Livonian Order loyal to you, and it gives you the following reward:
Knights of Riga.png
The rest of the mission tree focuses on trade, religion and Empire. With the mission “Contact the Emperor” you can join the HRE through the following event:
Join HRE event.png
With the mission “Papal Embassy” you gain another event which will make your capital into a seat for a Cardinal.
Finally, if you complete the mission “Compete with the Swedes”, “Trade Presence in Lübeck” and “Papal Embassy” the following event fires:
Religion as a Business.png
The Catholic Plutocracy is a Theocratic version of the Merchant Republic, but with one additional bonus: you are allowed to sell Indulgences to other Catholic countries!*

*Cannot sell Indulgences to countries which are at war with you or are subjects. You need at least 75 Papal Influence. You cannot sell an Indulgence to the Pope himself.
Offer Indulgence.png

Note: AI acceptance of the Indulgences is dependent on their current treasury, if they are in deficit and if they even need the extra stability. Countries with +1 stability for example have -50 reasons to accept it while countries with negative stability gain +50 reasons for every missing stability.​

Of course selling Indulgences is not without its consequences. Every time you sell one to a Catholic country you will increase the Reform Desire by 0.25%. Eventually, you could run out of customers this way as the Reformation will convert them to Protestantism.

If you happen to join the reformation (and repent for you sins of selling Indulgences) you will get the following event:
Protestantism as a Business.png

Note: The name of this government reform is a placeholder, and we appreciate suggestions for a better sounding name.​

While the Catholic Plutocracy focuses on earning money through the selling of Indulgences, the Theocratic Plutocracy is more concerned with spreading the Reformation. As such, the trade policy “Propagate Religion” will be available to you to convert Catholic provinces to your state religion - as long as you are either Hussite, Protestant, Reformed or Anglican.
Additionally, you get access to the following peace option:
Raid Heretic Church.png
This is the first experiment of a peace option which forces the losing country to destroy a building in one of their provinces. In this case it is the tax building, and it selects the province in this order: capital, then highest developed non-oversea province, then highest developed province.

Coming back to Riga’s mission tree, the mission “Sell Indulgences!” requires you to either sell Indulgences 5 times, or raid 5 heretic churches in total. From there your mission tree branches into four smaller paths of which have the following highlights:
  • The mission “Mercenary Contracts” halves the Army Professionalism cost of all recruited mercenary companies.
  • The mission “Handle the Reformation” reduces the trade power needed for Propagating Religion from 50% to 15%. It also unlocks a new casus belli against all heretic countries, with the only goal is to force convert them to your faith - you can NOT conquer any provinces with this cb though.
  • The mission “Break the Hansa” can be completed by improving the opinion of all members of Lübeck’s trade league. When completed, Lübeck will get an event where they are either forced to grant temporary privileges to their trade league members, which make them basically useless for Lübeck, or let them choose if they want to stick with Lübeck or want to join Riga’s Trade League.

Speaking of Hansa: we have some good news for every Merchant Republic enjoyer here!
With the free update, Merchant Republics gain full access to both their factions and estates. Although there were arguments that they should have one or another, we think it is a fair change if the merchant republic has access to both systems. Factions are very outdated and would require too much work for 1.34 to be reworked, which is why we have made this decision.

We also added a new government reform for Novgorod when they form Russia:
Great Veche Republic.png
While we are at the topic of government reforms: Dharma overhauled the system of government reforms for EU4, and has allowed players to customize their experience as they progress through their campaign. While we really like the concept, the amount of choices always felt a little bit lackluster.
Because of that we have decided to add new government reforms beyond the Tier 1 level, and rebalance existing non-Tier 1 reforms so you have more agency while picking your government reforms. Here is a peak into the more interesting reforms we are going to add for the Republics:
New Republican reforms.png
The general design idea is that government reforms should not necessarily be just a source for more modifiers to stack for you (though they will never really leave us either) but as changes and additions of mechanics of your country.
For example: the mechanic “Can force Re-election” allows you to use one simple decision at the cost of 5 Republican Tradition every 20 years to trigger the “Election!” event. Despite the fact that it is just one simple decision attached to a government reform, it can have a significant impact on your Monarch Power generation.

With the addition of these new reforms we aim to have around 4 or 5 government reforms to choose from per tier above the first one.

With the help of our newest colleague we also have started to add new reforms for the monarchies. Here you can see two new reforms:
New Monarchy reforms.png
Of course we are also reworking some of the older reforms too:
Old New Monarchy reforms.png
That was it for today! Next week's DD will be written by @Gnivom , and we won't be presenting any new content. Instead, we will be addressing the changes in the combat system introduced in the 1.33 update, and how we're polishing them further for 1.34 update (so that will be part of the upcoming free content, of course).

Until then I wish you all a nice week!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 106Like
  • 33Love
Reactions:
the idea of selling indulgences to other states seems very silly and plays into the continuing misunderstanding of Catholicism by EU4 devs imo

• 9Like
  • 7Haha
Reactions:
Awesome that Novgorod > Russia now means remaining a Republic! Will there be other changes to Novgorod coming up?

As well the text at the very end seems to be a left-over from the text from last-week? Perhaps it could be updated to reflect what is expected for next week's DD?

• 5Like
Reactions:
Heya!
Thanks for the amazing feedback!
Awesome that Novgorod > Russia now means remaining a Republic! Will there be other changes to Novgorod coming up?
No, though there will be an addition of republican tradition for Russia's ideas so you are not stuck with legitimacy.
Great changes, but I would like to ask something about the government reforms. Would it be possible to allow each tier to have more than 2 rows of government reforms? Currently, the interface can't handle more than 2 rows (8 reforms). Having more than 8 reforms causes the game to crash when opening the window. It would be amazing if it automatically expanded when exceeding 8 reforms, just like it automatically adds the second row when you have more than 4. Thank you!
Honestly, this sounds more like a bug than an intended cap of how many rows of reforms you should have. We will look into it.
Yes! Finally a reason to form Russia as Novgorod!

Could this ability be given to the Papal States as well considering they are Pope?

Overall this looks really good! Can't wait to see what we have for next week.

Edit: Dev Fixed an Error
Maybe, though the Pope will require a special version of it as they cannot accumulate Papal Influence... We will think about it.
I wonder what next week would be for. Will we begin with the Scandinavian brothers or are we still on the Germany side?
I didn't tease next week's DD as I wasn't entirely sure what it will be about when I was writing it.
However, I think I can say so much: next week will not be about additional content, and it will be presented by @Gnivom
Seems good, one thing I've realized from playing around with mods every now and then is that the government reform side of the base EU4 is underutilized. I hope the trend of adding new gov. reforms (either mechanically impactful or incremental modifier) continues. Also, how exactly will the propagate religion work for Riga? Only target Catholics, other non-reformist heretics, all Christians, pagans too, all heathens ...?
It will only target Christian provinces, and the way it will convert is similar to how the Reformation spreads.
It could be an interesting idea, however, to unlock it for non-Christian provinces too, but this will require some consideration from our side.
Nice after-support!

War with Livonia is likely to remove a historical friend after a won battle. Does completing a mission give a historical friend to Riga-Livonia like the Teutonic?

“Contact the Emperor” mission looks like a root node. Is AI likely to join HRE via this mission?

Not a balance guy but it feels way too low IMO. AI is not likely to use it though.
You will be able to restore the Historical Friendship with Livonia if you lose it after subjugating them.
Will Grand Veche Republic also be avialable for Pskov, another Russian trade republic?
It has the same requirements as Tsardom has: you need to be of the East Slavic Culture group and be Orthodox
How about buffing generic tier-1 reforms which are extremely weaker than special reforms?
We will consider addressing them, though the tier 1 reforms will be the last to get work done as many countries in EU4 have a custom tier 1 reform already.
Are the number of goverment reform tiers also higher? (would be cool to be not "done" with it after ~150-200 years. Maybe an earlier option to switch goverment type would be needed than
We are playing with the idea of increasing the numbers of tiers, but I can't really say if there will be a great addition of new tiers or not. I can at least say that we aim for all three governments to have ~10 or 11 tiers though.
"Consolidated Power" reform feels like a trap if "Absolutism resets on new ruler" means it gets reset to 0. Even with faster cooldown and +2/yr, I don't think you could possibly get enough absolutism gain to make use of the higher cap.

Maybe if it's losing like... 20ish absolutism on new ruler I'd be tempted to pick it, depending on alternatives.
Keep in mind that the modifiers and mechanics showcased here are nowhere near to be final. While it looks like a trap right now, it can look quite differently in the release version.
Hello!
Is Catholic Plutocracy / Theocratic Plutocracy exclusive for Riga, or will You consider making it available for other trade focused theocracies?
Can we expect more sneak peaks of the new non-Tier 1 reforms in the future dev diaries? :D
For your first question: it really depends how the reception is, but from what I have seen here I think we (referring to the Content Design team here) should consider it.
Or at least add a "generic theocracy plutocracy" reform.
For the second question: well, this depends on the content presented for the DLC. Riga's mission tree is fairly small compared to the trees presented in the last two weeks, so I have decided to go more into showcasing the government reforms.
Thank you for adding the Great Veche Republic, that has been one of my personal annoyances for years. Great to see it added, can't wait to do a Novgorod playthrough without being forced to become a Tsardom.

A bit less sure about the "manpower development for building a fort" reform. Won't that be extremely exploitable by building the cheapest possible fort, deleting it, and rebuilding it again?

Either way, good to see reforms getting some more love.
No, deleting the building will remove the manpower again.
What about Pirate Republics? Atm Pirate Republics are incredibly useless after ~1550 because of the huge penalties to government capacity and not having estates.
If they had estates then they might actually be worth sticking with past the age of reformation.
Pirate Republics also gain new government reforms. They will be able to unlock Clergy (not every pirate was as irreligious as their first idea would suggest) and the Burghers estates (though the Burghers will be renamed though).
I have a difficult time to see an explanation for adding the nobility to them though, but well, maybe we can find something for it.
The selling indulgences is a very neat idea, but I feel like the papal influence cost is a bit high.

I'd expect Riga, with all relevant modifiers, to get like 10-15 papal influence a year? Instead of selling two indulgences over 10 years for 1 year of another country's income, you could instead have 3 curia buffs.

I feel like it could easily be buffed to only cost 50. Feels better being the same base as most of the other things you could do with pope points as well.
The values here are to be seen as placeholder here.
But yeah, 50 Papal Influence sounds reasonable.
Nice Change and Addition!
I think "The Examination System" reform needs buff too.
And how about Other two faction governments (Revolutionary republics, Pirate republics) and non-estate & non-faction governments (Revolutionary Empire, Cossacks)? Will they get any changes?
Yes, Revolutionary countries (both republics and empire) and the Cossacks will get some changes too, giving them access to more government reforms (and in some cases estates - if the government reform justifies it).
Will all government types with factions get estates or just merchant republics?
Depends. For the Merchant Republic it will be unlocked from the start.
Other governments like Pirates, Revolutionary countries or Cossacks can unlock them through government reforms.
Given Riga's new tall focus, will there be any changes to the Terra Mariana achievement?
Only one: it should be achievable for having loyal, non-tributary subjects own the provinces too.
Sanctioned/Blessed/Sacred Plutocracy?
Exciting stuff! I'm especially interested in the new demolition CB. Is there any chance that we could get one to destroy enemy forts-- maybe called "demilitarize" or something like that? The game could really use this, especially in multiplayer.

Also:
Salvific Plutocracy?
Merchants of Bliss?
Divine Republic?
Proselytising Plutocracy
Faith Facilitators
Piety Brokerage
Devout Pragmata
Thank you so much for the suggestions! It will be quite hard to decide which one we will choose.
While you are doing that, could you please reduce the punishment for switching government form? With the current -3 reforms, it is never correct to flip.
I think that is a good idea. No promise though that it will happen.
Hey @Ogele would you guys consider bufing up a little Buddhism? Not in 1.34 or upcoming DLC but sometimes in the future. Perhaps adding a button so player can influence Karma from time to time.

And lat question is about Tengri. Now i don't think that it needs any buf however perhaps enabling them to convert provinces to your secondary faith. For example if you pick Vajrayana as secondary and they border Sunni player could convert Sunni province to Vajrayana. This would not work on Tengri of course since that's your main religion.

PS. I know this isn't a thread for this, i just wondered do you guys have plans for those religions since Anglican, Protestant and Reformed are getting bufs.
Hmm... I think we have them on our radar for patches after 1.34.
Especially the Karma one sounds interesting.
Will any other nations be given the option to be divine plutocrats? In general theocracies are quite weak and lack a lot of government reforms, so giving them access to the new ones in this new patch would help a lot.

Also, 'force re-election' should instead be called 'vote of no confidence'. It's the same thing, it's used in actual governments (such as Britain's parliaments) and it sounds a lot cooler.

Also can you give the AI some parameters to select certain reforms? I think the most glaring issue is if horde-tag get released they tend to not pick horde government reforms, meaning they are just average tribals, which severely nerfs a lot of these tag if they are released in some peace-deal. I'd even suggest locking the government reform for steppe nomad tech group so it's their only option.
I will see if there could be done something about it.
I would LOVE it if Cologne could be a Catholic Plutocracy!!
Hmm... that will be a "maybe" from my side.
Middle East will get new mission tree?
I would love if the Middle East would get something.
But no. 1.34 is focusing on the Baltic and the Scandinavian regions.
Do you plan more government reforms.?
Yes.
Really like the Riga approach. Putting the OP into the OPM resulting hopefully in a nice change of pace.

For the merchant rep. changes i was hoping for a bit more creative solution then just giving them the same estates. Is this a preliminary band aid till you have time to fully rework the faction system or is it the final solution?

Also why so much hate for the hansa? So many missions revolve around bullying poor little Lübeck.
Trust me if I say that we are not entirely happy with this solution. Due to our ambitions with the DLC and the government reforms, we made the decision to not touch the factions and just allow governments which have factions to also have estates.
However, I can't make any promise that this will not be the final solution as the faction system is in general not very liked internally, and estates kinda have "replaced" them for us.

• 20Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thanks for your feedback people! I'll try to dig a bit deeper on some aspects @Ogele hasn't covered:
the idea of selling indulgences to other states seems very silly and plays into the continuing misunderstanding of Catholicism by EU4 devs imo
Well, Paradox Tinto is placed in a country where Catholicism is the main confession, so we know a bit about it, I'd say. On top of it, I'll also tell you that one of the best university courses I took while doing my degree was one about 'History of Medieval Catholic Church (30-1517 AD)', so we also have some good sources at our disposal about this topic.

The sale of indulgences was a very important source of financial resources for the Church in the Late Middle Ages, specifically after the reforms introduced by Pope John XXII, and the bureaucratical expansion he promoted. It has already been said in this thread, and it is widely known, that the campaign to sell indulgences promoted in 1517 by Pope Leo X to fund Saint Pether's Basilica works was one of the main drivers behind Luther's Ninety-five Theses.

So we took this historical background to build new gameplay. It's not in contempt for Catholicism, of course, any more than it is with Protestantism when we designed the opposite feature of destroying churches in Catholic countries.
Could this ability be given to the Papal States as well considering they are Pope?
Well, this ability was designed upon imagining the archbishops of Riga as middlemen between the Papacy and the countries of the Baltic Sea region. Replicating it for the Papal States poses some challenges, both conceptually and mechanically speaking, so we're not doing that at this moment.

As well the text at the very end seems to be a left-over from the text from last-week? Perhaps it could be updated to reflect what is expected for next week's DD?
I wonder what next week would be for. Will we begin with the Scandinavian brothers or are we still on the Germany side?
Also Estates yai! - maybe it would be worthwile to think about just changing the estates names /signs into the names of the factions?"

Please also a hint what next DD will be about ?: :)
what's next week if not a secret?
This was an overlook on our part. Next week's DD will be written by @Gnivom , and we won't be presenting any new content. Instead, we will be addressing the changes in the combat system introduced in the 1.33 update, and how we're polishing them further for 1.34 update (so, that will be part of the upcoming free content, of course).
Missions can be fun and all, but I worry that the devs are painting themselves into a corner where they have to eventually get around to making a full mission tree for every significant nation in the world in order to maintain some semblance of balance. If they can pull this off, then it would be fine. But I'm not so sure the resources are there for such a huge job.

Given the overpowered nature of mission trees, there is always going to be a huge power disparity between nations which have a custom mission tree, and ones which don't. A custom tree functions like lucky nation on steroids.
We want to keep the new mission trees as balanced as possible while offering new gameplay possibilities - because of that we're moving away from the classical 'conquer this, then conquer that' format, although there will still be conquest-driven missions, of course. As for the future, we have further plans about when and how we'll continue developing new content while balancing the older, but for now, we're focused on this upcoming Immersion Pack. ;)
No Norway mission tree on Norway's national day? I just hope this means a more polished and fleshed out mission tree for Norway
We thought about it but had some timing constraints about the better way of presenting new content. However, to celebrate Norway's national day, I'll tell you that yes, there will be new content for Norway, and we'll present it eventually. ;)
This is grand, and I love the trials you're doing with new ideas for goals and ways to engage with the game that aren't just taking provinces.

Along with this government reform please find a way (maybe they can be tied to government reforms?) for Novgorod to keep it's AWESOME unit models even if it forms Russia! Novgorodian-style Russian armies would be really cool.
Poking @SaintDaveUK about this, as it may be a good idea. :)
What about zaporozhie and sich rada. Right now when you form ruthenia, you get generic cossack ideas, will this be also addressed. Also will they get estates too ?

Also concentrate development (and so also centralised bereaucracy ) and pillage capital are only useful for couple of first years, as then there is no chance to get more development in capital. This could be solved either by allowing to select province where to concentrate or making it much cheaper to move capital, maybe by removing Dev difference cost via same reform)
'The Cossacks' content is already on our radar of fixes, yes.
No references to the Livonians themselves who were the indigenous inhabitants of where Riga was founded(and around the shore of the Gulf of Riga). Then again it's the same as Estonia in a way, but at least the culture is represented there.
Livonians did suffer greatly from the Northern Crusade(as did the Estonians and Baltic tribes) as they were essentially treated as second class citizens by the German nobility. Livonians were decimated during the 16th-18th centuries due to the near constant warring in the Baltics. Add to that the events of early 20th century and the language is classified as dormant meaning it's not spoken natively anymore, but a revival is in process so that is a bright spot.

As to Riga and the content shown I have to echo the common sentiment; it's going to be interesting to see whether Riga will be a strong but balanced city-state or a jank powerhouse if not crushed at the earliest convenience.
A more broad and granular government reform system is perhaps the best thing so far from this update. Interested to see if there's going to be any less known historical peoples or events in the update or if it's going to be more broad strokes and "what ifs" for the player.
For the Livonians we have created a new tag, Latgalia, that allows for gameplay centered on a Livonian culture country. I invite you to take a look at last week's DD, as we talked about this.
@Ogele and the rest of the devs: though the communciation drought was a little frustrating, I'm very happy with the direction in which you're taking this game! And I commend the way you experiment with a new mechanic on a single nation, and then expand it when it works well or is well received :)
Well, now we can talk more openly again. We required some time to start preparing the upcoming Immersion Pack and update, and we really do not like to show early design concepts and bugfixing planning, as lots of things are iterated and changed during development, so this can be confusing or misleading for the community. Keeping a constant flow of weekly DD's is also very time-consuming, to be entirely honest.

For those two reasons, we need to take a breather between development cycles, even if we're really happy with the results of the new communication flow we're following.

• 16Like
Reactions:
"That was it for today! Next week we will take a look at the content of our favorite OPM, Riga, along with some extra government reforms we’re planning to add to the base game."

Didn't you say that in the last dev diary or is there a part 2?
Thanks for pointing it out! Fixed!

• 13Like
Reactions:
Indulgences were not just given by the pope, guys... Not only were archbishops and bishops allowed to do it, it eventually became a very widespread phenomenon, with so called Pardoners (as in Chaucer's Pardoner's Tale) selling them. The very widespread and thus devalued nature and the associated corruption of the indulgence selling was famously one of the main gripes of Luther.

A very good case could be made that at least all other (arch)bishoprics should also have the ability, not just Riga, and that lesser theocratic institutions (monastic orders etc.) might be able to obtain the ability from the Pope, in exchange for corruption and reform desire allround, obviously.

• 9Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
We also added a new government reform for Novgorod when they form Russia:
Yes! Finally a reason to form Russia as Novgorod!

you are allowed to sell Indulgences to other Catholic countries

Overall this looks really good! Can't wait to see what we have for next week.

Edit: Dev Fixed an Error

• 2Like
Reactions:
Missions can be fun and all, but I worry that the devs are painting themselves into a corner where they have to eventually get around to making a full mission tree for every significant nation in the world in order to maintain some semblance of balance. If they can pull this off, then it would be fine. But I'm not so sure the resources are there for such a huge job.

Given the overpowered nature of mission trees, there is always going to be a huge power disparity between nations which have a custom mission tree, and ones which don't. A custom tree functions like lucky nation on steroids.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Its kinda funny to think that nations like Austria and France might have smaller mission trees then nations like Riga now.
Riga will have a solid 21 missions, which still puts them well behind Austria and France who both sit at 40+ missions each.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will Grand Veche Republic also be avialable for Pskov, another Russian trade republic?

• 7Like
Reactions:
With the free update, Merchant Republics gain full access to both their factions and estates.

What about Pirate Republics? Atm Pirate Republics are incredibly useless after ~1550 because of the huge penalties to government capacity and not having estates.
If they had estates then they might actually be worth sticking with past the age of reformation.

• 3Like
Reactions:
"That was it for today! Next week we will take a look at the content of our favorite OPM, Riga, along with some extra government reforms we’re planning to add to the base game."

Didn't you say that in the last dev diary or is there a part 2?

Other than that, I can see Centralised Bureaucracy becoming the next "Strengthen Noble Privileges" meta

• 4Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Great changes, but I would like to ask something about the government reforms. Would it be possible to allow each tier to have more than 2 rows of government reforms? Currently, the interface can't handle more than 2 rows (8 reforms). Having more than 8 reforms causes the game to crash when opening the window. It would be amazing if it automatically expanded when exceeding 8 reforms, just like it automatically adds the second row when you have more than 4. Thank you!

• 6Like
Reactions:
I really like the Idea of destorying a building in a peace deal. There should be a peace deal option "defortification" which destroys a fort and prevent fort construction in the province for the duration of the truce, but I can see many other detroying builduing peace deals (like destroying a market/trade center for a trade war).

• 7Like
Reactions:
"Consolidated Power" reform feels like a trap if "Absolutism resets on new ruler" means it gets reset to 0. Even with faster cooldown and +2/yr, I don't think you could possibly get enough absolutism gain to make use of the higher cap.

Maybe if it's losing like... 20ish absolutism on new ruler I'd be tempted to pick it, depending on alternatives.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is very heartening, as this is my main concern about the state of the game. This update is looking phenomenal so far, so I hope a good middleground between the old and new systems can be found. I think you guys are hitting your stride now after the initial stumble, keep up the good work. :)

In terms of future reworks: will you consider updating the UI so that mods like "Bigger UI" are no longer necessary?
Thanks! We hope our work will continue to be appreciated by the community in the upcoming Dev Diaries. :)

We don't have plans at the moment regarding the UI, but we'll let you know if at some point we decide to improve it, for sure.
yes, indulgences were used to fund projects - what projects are being funded by Riga selling indulgences? and keep in mind that Trent banned the sale of indulgences. hence why the funding of projects was a way to get indulgences, because a straight money-for-indulgence swap would go against Church law. and this is why there was controversy from their sale in Germany, because they weren't supposed to be doing this. Riga selling indulgences, against church teaching, to countries makes absolutely no sense in my opinion, especially post-Counter-Reformation. the whole indulgence thing with the Papacy in-game makes no sense either
Well, one special type of indulgence was the Bull of the Crusade, which was quite popular in frontier regions such as the Iberian Peninsula, but also similar crusading indulgences were used in the Teutonic Reisen (yearly campaigns) in the second half of the 14th c.

So, coming back to gameplay, you could well do a run in which where, playing with Riga, you could have the Livonian and Teutonic Orders as subjects, and use the money gathered by selling indulgences to help them advance in their Crusading mission trees. And be aware that in the Livonian Order there are a couple of missions about building churches and cathedrals throughout their territory, which I think it's quite fitting with the purpose of indulgences. ;)
You could never licitly "sell" indulgences. Trent canceled all grants of indulgences involving any fees or other financial transactions(so in the colloquial sense of banning the sale of indulgences, it did). In other words you can't get indulgences for fiscal charity. Obviously indulgences still exist. Though mechanically if the main point is not the remission of venial sin (which frankly subjects wouldn't care about) but the financing of religious projects, that didn't cease (it was simply no longer tied to indulgences) and in effect the option should remain available. It's also unclear why this would be a Catholic specific mechanic in that case. If it actually involved the Pope raising funds to upgrade the cathedral monuments of Europe, like a ck crusade but as a financing campaign, then that'd be both a meaningful reflection of something distinct and accurate.

The Riga game mechanic doesn't seem to be clear on what it's supposed to reflect. There's some logic in allowing archbishopric type entities to use their own papal influence to help other states. But why does it give +stab? Stability presumably reflects the internal state of a realm. I could see papal influence. Prestige may be justified if financing a cathedral or something. But the normal indulgence mechanic doesn't grant stability or prestige, so why does it do so here? Since the interaction with Riga has cash go directly to the "state" of Riga instead of some specific noble end and also increases reform desire, it would seem to imply that the interaction is of the corrupt variety.

The regular interaction still shouldn't block excommunication, especially since the decision is unilateral in-game.
I completely agree about the +stab making little sense. (It could make some sense if it represented the purchase of relics, which the text seems to imply might be included, but certainly the name doesn’t) Prestige, legitimacy, improved relations with Catholics and papal influence would all make sense to me. In fact, it might be really interesting if the ability was granted to more bishoprics it could offer a very interesting alternative way for nations that are not necessarily on great terms with the Papal States to still get influence in the Church by going through their local bishoprics instead. Which I would say certainly seems very historic to me.

I’ll also say that the reform desire added does suggest it’s certainly the corrupt variety.

And I also agree that the regular mechanic should not block excommunication, which is bad both from a historical perspective but also (and I’d argue, more importantly) game-play wise, as it completely undermines the excommunication mechanic, rendering it useless and unimportant. It should instead just give a big boost to relations with the Papal State, which would still de facto help prevent excommunication, without it being a magic ‘undo excommunication’-button.
Take into account that the features we present in the DDs are still in development. So we will have a second thought on the modifiers gathered by buying indulgences to the Archbishop of Riga. ;)
That's not correct. The Livonians are Uralic people, closely related to Estonians and Finns, while Latgalians are Indo-European, basically Latvians and closely related to Lithuanians and Old Prussians. While Latvians (Latgalians) and Livonians are neighbours, they are not related at all. So, Livonians aren't represented in the game, but Latvians (as Latgalians) are, both as a tag and culture. But yeah, since there's no new provinces being added, it's impossible to add the Livonian culture to the game, because they only populated the coastline and some parts of the Daugava river, by this time Riga was a German city and is portrayed correctly in the game as such.

Uralic languages, including Livonian:
A closer look up to Baltic Finnic languages:

Baltic languages (some of them had most likely died out by 1444, while others were becoming a minority to Latvian (Latgalian) and Lithuanian):
You're correct. That said, we have to abstract to some degree the situation of the region; because of that, we went with 'Livonia' as a kind of secularized Prussia, covering the entire area, with Latgalia portraying a tag for the native Livonian and non-Germanic populations. We could have decided on a different approach, keeping Kurland as the main Germanic and secularized tag, and Livonia as the one for the native Livonians; but we thought it would make more sense the first option, as some kind of state development from the Livonian Confederation. Second thoughts on this decision are pretty welcomed, however, so if you have a different opinion on it, we may well read and consider it. :)
This would be incredibly cool to see extended as well, maybe using a country flag? Italy with different unit sprites depending on who formed it—and the same with Russia, Germany, even Spain—would be extremely cool. Now that NIs change when you form a new country (still a terrible design choice) there’s almost no way to preserve a sense of a country’s history post-unification. Prussian or German armies staffed by Teutonic Order sprites would be one way to bring your nation’s past along as it develops its path through the game.
This is a good question, and food for (our) thought.
Two questions that are not really related to riga:
1. will danzig get missions (and do you get them when you flip into danzig from TO)
2. any chance the make the „tagfahrt“ event for Lübeck more reliable? Even if i have 90 rep. Trad. it seems to fire only for every 5th or 6th election that meet the requirements
We do not plan on Danzig getting missions. On the other topic, we will take a look at that event, to see if it may be interesting to change the triggers, or not.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Those government reforms are good. They add flavor, they add gameplay. Consolidated Power means you can play a non-Revolutionary Republic in the late-game for single player. Estate Council sounds amazing for roleplay, and still seems reasonably strong for regular play. Dynastic Rule's -0.5 Republican Tradition is perhaps a bit too restrictive, does that reform allow you to get Personal Unions? If so, do you keep the Personal Unions on your leader's death? If so, also give that reform the ability to re-select from dynastic family so you can keep the Personal Union.

• 6Like
Reactions:
oh wow! While i liked the kind of "limted" approach of origins, I also felt, another that "small" DLC wasn't worth it - this DD alone (but also the last 2) prove to me, that EU4s time is far from over!
I really want to make a campaign with every featured country in the newly coming DLC, because I really like the region gameplay-wise.
But after that, the game is dead for me again.
EU4's lifespan is determined by the release date of Vic3.

Several thousand hours into the game and those railroaded mission trees don't give me the motivation to play the game over and over again.
Certain outcomes appear just way too often, because it's just too easy for the AI (or player) to achieve it's goals, and if not, it bounces in the opposite direction, because neighboring countries can fulfill theirs in return i.e.
There is no space for moderate outcomes, because of the mission completion swings. It just feels very weird.

Don't get me wrong, EU4 is one of my all time favorites, but it's an old game, which breaks away from that sandbox-style map painter it once was with every update, no matter the effort of keeping it dynamic.
I am not saying I don't like the newest dev diaries, but I'm usually happier about new privileges / slots and religion changes i.e. than I am about new missions being handled out. They just make sense for countries, that are very limited in their gameplay or need a powerbase to find into the game without the player having to deal with endless restarts.
(That can still be argued - veterans who want to pick a challenge.)

When I play a big country with a crazy mission bonus, I am just worried about when to pull the trigger and abuse the given modifiers to the max.
This often times leaves me with a big enough advantage, that the rest of the game is just annoyed clicking.
EU4 has so many modifiers and ways to make your country stronger (ADM/DIP/MIL), IMO the game shouldn't tell me what to do for that big swing.

Mission trees are just too present in most Paradox games nowadays. It makes sense for a WW2 simulator to reproduce history when the date is between 1936 and 1945+. but EU4's timespan is just too big and mission trees are just too crazy for a railroaded approach.
I don't want to become a crusader country at the click of a button, but by playstyle.

In addition there are just too many countries left untouched for ever. Every country should feel unique playing as, so there should be no generic ones, if there are those feature-loaded ones right next to them. Generic missions do a very poor job on balancing that out.

But that is enough of critique, I just wanted to explain my point of view.
Still hyped for the new content and happy to be able to play the game with joy again for a few weeks.

P.S. to the guy, who said he would buy a DLC where there is no mission tree on the map - I would, too. Achievements ftw.

• 2Like
Reactions: