• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EU4 - Development Diary - 9th of October 2018

Welcome all to today’s dev diary, where I’ll be covering the long-awaited Iberian and North African map update coming in the 1.28 ‘Spain’ update.

iberia_map.png

Nations released for the sake of example

As things currently stand, though as always things are subject to change before release, Iberia consists of 571 development over 63 provinces. This includes the Macaronesia area but now excludes Labourd, which has been returned to the French region.

In Aragon, the distinction between the Kingdom of Aragon, the Kingdom of Valencia, and the Principality of Catalonia has become more pronounced. Tarragona is now rightly in the Catalonia area, and the province of Valencia has been split so that Castello and Xativa have become separate provinces. Valencia itself has the potential to be a very rich city indeed, as the player’s actions can lead to it becoming a major producer of silk. The three major Balearic Islands have become provinces in and of themselves, linked together by a strait and comprising their own Area.

Likewise, Galicia has seen itself grow from 1 province to 4, and now has an Area all to itself.

Portugal and Granada have been gifted one additional province each: Aveiro and Malaga respectively.

Last but not least, many citizens of Navarra are looking a little confused as they wonder where their coastline has gone. Wedged between major powers and with no immediate means of escape over the ocean, Navarra will be a very challenging nation in 1.28.

New releasable nations:

Valencia: The Kingdom of Valencia was a major constituent part of the Crown of Aragon in 1444. In 1.28 the former kingdom of El Cid will be a releasable nation.

Asturias: The Kingdom of Asturias ceased to exist long before our start date, but it nicely fills the absence of releasable nations in the region.

morocco_map.png

I’ve also taken another look at North Africa. Here we can see several new provinces along the coast, including those belonging to new nations that can emerge during the game.

The province of Demnate allows a route through the Atlas mountains; a convenient shortcut and potentially a deadly choke-point.

The Canary Islands have been split between Gran Canaria and Tenerife to represent the somewhat incomplete Castilian conquest and colonization of the islands.

For the masochists among you who play as Granada, they now have a core on the province on Ceuta.

New releasable nations:

Salé and Tétouan: Home to some of the most infamous Barbary Pirates, these nations will be releasable in 1444, and may emerge dynamically in the course of the game in the style of Habsan.

fezzan_map.png

Finally, I’ve made some minor changes to the eastern Maghreb. The province of Kairwan has been added for Tunis, and the addition of Sabha has allowed a more aesthetic redrawing of Fezzan’s borders.

That’s all for today. Next week, @Groogy will reveal some of the new features coming in the as yet unnamed Immersion pack to be released alongside 1.28.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Stayed tuned because more map changes will be coming up in a future DD!
iberia_update.png
Dare we hope my friends? Still, I appreciate our feedback is getting recognized. Keep on the good work.

LOL (irony).. some1 said i was being pessimist like a "good portuguese"... i ssid i was being realist... so it is! The new map... thanks guys. but really dissapointing. A lot.. omg
Think he means this is the final version as for now. But commenting that more map changes might come in a future dev diary gets my hopes up. Think we have to wait.

Yes, indeed :)
Then I'm sorry, I find that you are being insincere when you say you took into account our contributions. We repeatedly, before and after that map was posted, explained in detail why the province of Aveiro is wrong historically and in terms of borders (and looks really ugly), and how it can be easily corrected by redrawing its borders and those of Porto to create a Braga province instead. This was completely ignored. And this is just one (glaring) example.
Dare we hope my friends? Still, I appreciate our feedback is getting recognized. Keep on the good work.
You missed the part where it is said the Iberia map is final.

Yes, indeed :)
But work is still being done if I interprete you correctly?

Because the map you posted was known and still had its flaws (which got mentioned in my suggestion-thread).

But work is still being done if I interprete you correctly?

Because the map you posted was known and still had its flaws (which got mentioned in my suggestion-thread).
Think they are probably still working on it, otherwise they would not have teased future map changes. But maybe we could get some clarification? Let's not put the horse before the cart

Stay tuned for news about Portuguese Macau ;)
Portuguese Macau best Macau

Think they are probably still working on it, otherwise they would not have teased future map changes. But maybe we could get some clarification? Let's not put the horse before the cart
This was the clarification:
Here is the final result for Iberia!
My interpretation is, the map we got a while back was always supposed to be the end of the conversation, but because we didn't understand that and kept growing the thread, @RodDel had to step in and make sure we finally got the message. Can't pretend I'm not extremely disappointed.

My interpretation is, the map we got a while back was always supposed to be the end of the conversation, but because we didn't understand that and kept growing the thread, @RodDel had to step in and make sure we finally got the message. Can't pretend I'm not extremely disappointed.
He also said this Stayed tuned because more map changes will be coming up in a future DD! . That is why I am cautioning not to rush to conclusions.

Who cares if the trade goods are "too good"? Portugal is is super poor as per now and salt does not provide trade bonus... Even if it did the estuary only adds, its not a multiplier.

But even wine is not that great as a trade good... But I don't mind if Porto produces cloth...

Coimbra should even produce naval supplies...

I even think they will will only add one province to portugal at most and I really hope they do add setubal and braga.

I really hope they boost portugal old provinces development, no way lisbon should start with less than 20 development or algarve and madeira with less than 10.

Algarve was where all the discoveries began and madeira by 1500 was the biggest sugar producer in the world.

I'm with you on Portugal, it needs more than 1 province, but keep in mind that Constantinople's development is 23. I don't think Porto was close to it at the time.

He also said this Stayed tuned because more map changes will be coming up in a future DD! . That is why I am cautioning not to rush to conclusions.
Yeah either there's gonna be some province adjustments in the Americas or it's actually not the finished Iberia map after all.
*curiosity intensifies*

Dropping here just to tell you all how please we are with all the feedback you've given! We have tweaked and changed a few things here and there, and we are pleased with the result. Bare in mind that it was very hard to act upon 54 pages of suggestions (there are so many factors to take into account when redrawing a map, especially in terms of game balance). We sincerely appreciate your input on the subject!

Stayed tuned because more map changes will be coming up in a future DD!

Here is the final result for Iberia! Kudos to @neondt for this great job!

iberia_update.png
We were already discussing this map for the last 20 pages or so. I do appreciate you adressing the feedback a bit, though.

I hope you understand that we're still not really satisfied, not because of the quantity of provinces, but of the quality thereoff. Urgell should be Lleida and Aveiro should be changed... etc. The mistakes in the Maghreb region didn't get adressed, either.

You guys should really take a look at my city-placement- and general corrections thread.

Last edited:
Then I'm sorry, I find that you are being insincere when you say you took into account our contributions. We repeatedly, before and after that map was posted, explained in detail why the province of Aveiro is wrong historically and in terms of borders (and looks really ugly), and how it can be easily corrected by redrawing its borders and those of Porto to create a Braga province instead. This was completely ignored. And this is just one (glaring) example.

You missed the part where it is said the Iberia map is final.

It is not impossible that Iberia will be retouched in the future. Perhaps following the release! And we know that when you will read theses lines, you will be disappointed. If we had the time to act upon on every single suggestion we would (though the game would certainly break :p ). I have taken the time to draft a report on suggestions (all 54 pages of it) that will be forwarded to the dev team. We completely understand the community's point of view regarding Portugal or other provinces, and I sympathize with you all (because you know, I come from Andalusia). And the dev team doesn't want you to stop forwarding suggestions! Take it to the suggestions sub-forum. Hell, tag me in the existing threads if you want! I'll be super glad to keep looking at your suggestions! And if you want to make a new thread there, please do and tell me :) Bare in mind, once more, that we cannot act upon every single suggestions, see my previous posts in the thread. For now, I will lock the thread - for visibility reasons and give way to other DDs, other DDs that require your input too :D

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.