• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 7th of February 2017

Hello everyone, and welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. This time we dig into the states.

First of all, we have now improved the province interface to have a separate tab for all things related to a state, as the province interface started to become really cluttered.

This tab now gives you information of the entire state at once, making it possible to determine if the state is profitable or not, what provinces belong to it, and details about them.

In the new expansion, we are introducing a new concept to states though, something we call State Edicts. Edicts can be enacted at any time, but once set they can not be revoked until at least one year has passed, and while an Edict is active, the maintenance for that state triples.

Edicts gives bonus to all provinces you own in the state, and which edicts you have active can also be seen in the ledger and in a new mapmode.

So what edicts do we have then?

• Enforce Religious Unity : 1% Missionary Strength
  • Protect Trade : +50% Provincial Trade Power
  • Promote Military Recruitment: +25% Manpower
  • Encourage Development: -10% Development Cost
  • Advancement Effort: +33% Institution Spread
  • Centralization Effort: -0.03 Monthly Autonomy
There are also 3 edicts you can gain from taking certain abilities in different ages.
  • Feudal De Jure Law: -5 Unrest
  • Religion Enforced: 50% resistance to Religious Conversion Centers.
  • Edict of Absolutism: -0.25 Monthly Devastation

Yes, the AI will of course also use Edicts, and edicts are 100% fully scriptable, and modders can add and remove as they feel fit.

Open Spoiler to see a script example..
edict_centralization_effort = {
potential = {
always = yes #we support "potential" if modders want to have lots and just show some.
}

allow = {
always = yes
}

modifier = {
local_autonomy = -0.03
}

color = { 220 178 155 }

ai_will_do = {
factor = 10
modifier = {
factor = 0
all_province_in_state = {
NOT = {
local_autonomy_above_min = 10
}
}
}

modifier = {
factor = 3
all_province_in_state = {
local_autonomy_above_min = 10
}
}
}
}

eu4_15.png

We have also rebalanced how Trade Companies work in 1.20, and provinces that belong to a trade company, will now be counted as full state provinces when it comes to autonomy calculations.

Will there be edicts unlocked by completing idea idea groups (or combinations thereof, like policies) or will they be strictly limited by to the starting ones plus any age (or tech?) unlocked edicts?

Do you also not like spawning recruits with soldier and money mana?

Of course if you ridicule it into obscurity it's going to be obscure. It makes sense that highly developed regions will experience an influx of concepts and ideas like the institutions represent.

Yep, but it just don't make too much sense to develop a province from 10 to 30 Development in a day. Perhaps a cooldown between how often you can increase a Development Point would benefit the game, and the need to long term plan.

Last edited:
Do you also not like spawning recruits with soldier and money mana?

Of course if you ridicule it into obscurity it's going to be obscure. It makes sense that highly developed regions will experience an influx of concepts and ideas like the institutions represent.

Yes it makes total sense that building a large city in the mongolian steppe on a single day (take that, Rome) convinces the population of the advantages of global trade (and gives them the chance to ridicule the inhabitants of the already existing developed city in the mongolian steppe who might have invented the rennaisance but are too stupid to understand the value of global trade, global meaning Ming to the south and Oriat or maybe Timurids to the west. Everything else is unknown)

Last edited:
"Protect Trade : +50% Provincial Trade Power"... What? Genoa, Venice, and almost every state (with provincial trade power bonus) in end-node trade give u an insane amount of money early-game. I mean, the other bonuses are "meh", but this one is insane stronger that the others

They give way more late-game.

To be honest this edict seems like one of the weakest ones since provincial trade power becomes insignificant compared to protecting trade with light ships once countries get large fleets plus the diminishing returns on increased trade power to begin with.

We have also rebalanced how Trade Companies work in 1.20, and provinces that belong to a trade company, will now be counted as full state provinces when it comes to autonomy calculations.

For merchant republics, will they count towards the state province limit? I would hate to lose RT for THAT.

So what's the next week's dev diary about then?

Or will the expansion come out then? (probably not)

Love the new state tab. Kinda made me wonder how much state maintenance was and how much it was actually lowered by buildings and the like, will be nice to be able to see that all in one place now.

Although on the edicts, if state maintenance is tripled for them does that mean they are free in your capital state since that pays no maintenance?

Considering how easy you can get money there is no reason not to have edicts active in all states where it makes sense.
actually it is not like that. there are states that don't give more direct income than you pay for the maintenance, but you might want that area as a state to reduce the autonomy, get MP and force limit and whatever.

actually it is not like that. there are states that don't give more direct income than you pay for the maintenance, but you might want that area as a state to reduce the autonomy, get MP and force limit and whatever.
And yet your other states make so much money +trade that you can easily afford a state with negative income.

And yet your other states make so much money +trade that you can easily afford a state with negative income.
true, other states and other things like trade get you more money, but you also spend more money on buildings, recruiting troops, building ships, advisors, missionaries, colonies, army/navy maintenance and huge amount of bad events that ask you to lose 1 stability or your income for 6 or 12 months for instance. i know how to get money and stuff, but i think the 3x modifier for state maintenance because of one edict is a bit too much.

While that's all nice and everything, I can't help but think that you're putting new content ahead of necessary fixes - and ones that wouldn't even be that complicated to do something about, as far as I know. You still can't use diacritics for in-game names, the AI still ignores forts, the game still crashes when going back to the menu. Please guys, focus on improving what's already there before adding new stuff.

Johan's dev diaries are always so laconic he introduces a whole new feature but from a glance you'd think he was just listing off some new national ideas for minors.

While that's all nice and everything, I can't help but think that you're putting new content ahead of necessary fixes - and ones that wouldn't even be that complicated to do something about, as far as I know. You still can't use diacritics for in-game names, the AI still ignores forts, the game still crashes when going back to the menu. Please guys, focus on improving what's already there before adding new stuff.
It is a restart, not a crash
This one is also not easy to fix. I don't work for Pdox, nor have I seen the code, but I do know programming (at that level), and I suspect the reason for this restart would require re-writing much of the game.

This one is also not easy to fix. I don't work for Pdox, nor have I seen the code, but I do know programming (at that level), and I suspect the reason for this restart would require re-writing much of the game.
The game restarts to clear its memory and cashe, it was done partly to clean up some crashes, and also to clear up some exploits.