• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 22nd of January 2019

Good day and welcome to another EUIV Dev Diary. As mentioned last week, we are working towards our 1.28.3 bugfix patch as well as planning out our big European expansion for the year, and as such, won't be having meaty, feature-rich dev diaries for a while. Instead today, I'll dig a bit more into the 1.28.3 Patch, and some thoughts on suggestions towards our upcoming expansion.

While there are some very important issues that we're fixing in 1.28.3, including the Trade Company Stuttering and Save File issues, we are taking the opportunity to pack a lot more fixes into this release than we traditionally would in a hotfix. Since it'll likely be quite some time until the next big release for the game, we wanted to get cracking on outstanding issues while we could, which is why this bugfix patch is taking longer than normal too. At last check, it is over 100 bug-crushing entries long, so hopefully it proves worth the wait. We expect it'll see the light of day in the coming weeks, once we finish up the fixes, test it and have it ready to ship out.

To clarify, 1.28.3 is a purely bugfix patch. It won't have new content, map changes or any of the like. It is the result of the past weeks' efforts, with particular attention to script and content fixes. Some specifics pulled from the changelog include:

- Updated British missions for India map changes
- Texas' leader names and ship names have been made more Texan.
- Streltsy events will no longer attempt to change Streltsy Progress if you have Streltsy units but no longer use the Russian government reforms.
- Fixed AI refusing Royal Marriage because of too many diplomatic relations, despite already having Alliance.
- Spain's Golden Century mission "Claim Hispaniola" now shows the correct number of provinces needed to complete the mission.
- Spain's "Found Havana" mission can also be completed by building a counting house
- Ryukyu's tributary status with Ming ends in 1609.

With a pinch of luck we'll have the full patchnotes next week, and the release of the patch the week after. This is, of course, subject to testing going well and the patch being ready for release.

As I did last week, I'd also like to give a nod and some thoughts on suggestions which have been coming in. Again, these do not come with a promise of things to come, just thoughts on matters.

Balkan Suggestions

Too many Balkan suggestion threads to single one out, so cheers to @Sanguine Caesar who put together this compilation. I saw some conjecture about the target regions of the large European expansion and, in particular, if it would include the Balkans. If I remember my initial words well, I had originally said we'll be focusing on the map from Brest to Istanbul. To put that conjecture to rest (maybe) , I'll clarify that our ambition is to target France, Low Countries, Germany, Italy and the Balkans. This ambition may grow or shrink as the year goes on and we get to work, but this is what we're setting out to do. And by this, we don't exclusively mean map content, there's content planned for these target areas even if the map isn't in need of much work. The Low Countries provinces for example saw a good deal of love in the England update but who doesn't dream of a Dutch Revolt that doesn't just mechanically result in 250,000 angry Dutch rebels standing in Antwerp forevermore?

1440p/2160p support

@zersetzung brings this suggestion, and is far from the first to do so. A personal pet peeve of mine is when I want to fire up an old game, and it is void of graphical options to make it somewhat playable on a modern machine. I can hardly blame the 90's for not seeing over twenty years into the future, but the frustration is still there.

In the far flung future there will certainly be those who maintain that Europa Universalis IV is the best EU experience, superior to EU8 because the haptic battle feedback and conquistador hat supply chain system aren't the true map painting experience. For the enlightened supercitizens of the future, it would at least be nice to leave EUIV in a state where it can handle the ever growing resolutions of monitors with some level of UI scaling. I can't promise this is something we'll manage for this year, as it's far from a trivial undertaking, but consider it an ambition to someday have this in EU4.

Christmas Trees

I had to bring this one up because as I was going through the suggestion pages over the festives, it brought a smile to my face. A cute idea, and shows that not all suggestions have to be enormous and complex. I know some people see the scale of large suggestion threads and get intimidated away from making their own, but often wee suggestions have just as much merit, such as..

plz also change the swiss idea of -15% merc upkeep to increased condottieri. as switzerland was not hiring mercs for themselves but hired swiss soldiers to others

A simple, concise and sensible suggestion, one that is likely to happen too, but given that Switzerland is right in the middle (quite possibly literally in the middle) of the focus region, and that we want to address the mercenary system, I wouldn't be surprised if we give the Swiss some more special treatment in this regard.

As I said, next week we'll be hoping to finalize and share the patchnotes for 1.28.3. Once we have that done and released to the world, it'll be time to set our sights on our end of year expansion. Dev Diaries will likely remain sparse for a while, as the locomotive heats up and sets out on the long journey that is our 2019 Expansion.

The last few DDs are so vastly different compared to what we had in similar periods. Can't say it's really bad, because you are discussing concepts and game mechanics with players (which is really awesome). This may indicate two somewhat mutually (but not necessarily) exclusive options:
  • 1. EU4 is on a verge of a decent overhaul of some it's core mechanics (not only mercs)
  • 2. EU4 is nearing it's EOL cycle and priorities are given to other projects.

@DDRJake Could we talk about "tall" gameplay, please? Not about ridiculously small trading cities or even a 20-province merchant republic, but rather of medium-sized nations with ~50 provinces. For example, Japan/GB on their islands. Right now if you are a medium-sized nation and you don't want to paint map, there is literally nothing you can do for yourself.

20 province merchant republic and small trading cities? That's why I'm here! Yet who cares about them silly islanders? :D

The last few DDs are so vastly different compared to what we had in similar periods. Can't say it's really bad, because you are discussing concepts and game mechanics with players (which is really awesome). This may indicate two somewhat mutually (but not necessarily) exclusive options:
  • 1. EU4 is on a verge of a decent overhaul of some it's core mechanics (not only mercs)
  • 2. EU4 is nearing it's EOL cycle and priorities are given to other projects.

@DDRJake Could we talk about "tall" gameplay, please? Not about ridiculously small trading cities or even a 20-province merchant republic, but rather of medium-sized nations with ~50 provinces. For example, Japan/GB on their islands. Right now if you are a medium-sized nation and you don't want to paint map, there is literally nothing you can do for yourself:
  • Since you don't conquer, you don't have many rebels
  • The extra gold you get from cutting military expenses allows you to build up faster and hire better advisors. However all you can do is to continuously spend your mana on province development.
  • At some point you fix all your estates issues and you simply enjoy loyal estates and benefits they grant.
  • Trade system is static, goods have fixed prices, so there little to no room for economic speculations or machinations.
  • Colonizing might be a good option, but it's not available for everyone.
As a result, a medium-small sized nation can be a GP, it's still a valid playstyle (far from optimal though), but the main problem is that there are little to no meaningful occupations in EU4 except warfare.

I really don't know how to fix this without accidentally building EU5, but this problem should be discussed (unless it's WAD) and someone may come up with an elegant solution.
Completely agree. Soft power actions would be really great so that the main rewards of the game don't come only from conquering places. I, for one, are really in favour of the return of protectorates for example.

Since you don't conquer, you don't have many rebels
Rebels? Jokes on you, expect Dutch rebellion to be nerfed to irrelevancy. After how the Cossacks were handled, they will be nerfed and made into easy event with a choice to become Holland for those who roleplay. Just like Cossacks.

Map painting is the core. I suggested adding peaceful foreign convertion at least so that you could in theory one faith everything without mindless conquest. That at least is a viable improvement to gameplay and is quite fun.
But oh well - Holy Orders are reserved for Iberia, so historically most viable guys will be absent for this mechanics.

No words or thoughts about estates or dev too, not even implication that it will be reflected in base game. Which means that there is little use from those mechanics being free unless you mod if devs do not do something about it in the next patch.

Lastly, Prussia will suck more as it is out of scope. Why? Because the regionality of map updating was messed up, at least do all of Western Europe in one go to not disbalance the region. This also applies to mission trees.

And yes, Imperator is getting way more attention and it is clearly evident.

It might have already been mentioned in which case I am sorry but I believe there is a bug with the “Secularisation” event for theocracies ( at least for the Teutonic order )
When I picked the option that transformed me into a monarchy , I instead kept the monastic order government form and got the event heir needed .
Has anyone encountered the same problem ?

I'll clarify that our ambition is to target France, Low Countries, Germany, Italy and the Balkans
Along with Bohemia and Hungary, surely?

I didn't know Texas was a formable tag. This reminds me it's too bad we can't play as Colonial Nations in Ironman :(

2160x1440? A step in the right direction, but can you do 4K2K while you're at it?

How about game rules like in CK II ?
And suggestion for Mercs: Don't link their numbers to force limit, but to other parameters, government type, gold, prestige. Nations as Venice have low force limit and cannot buy Mercs, even if they could financially. At the moment large nations have a lot of gold and high force limits, what makes them overpowered. Also lower their impact in late game, for historical and game play reasons.

I think bugfix diaries are probably my favourite dev diaries. They's not as exciting superficially, but they're really important to keeping the game enjoyable in the long run.

@Zak Preston
I'd advocate against trying hard or focusing on making EU4 into "tall" game more. I am not against tall game, but EU4 is, and always was, good blobbing map-painting game that allows you to play reasonably tall. Internal country mechanics are something that EU4 lacks and devs were... before at least... against adding much to that aspect. For example they want intentionally development and stability to be instant clicks and not immersive inner mechanics. For that there are Vicky/CK/ImperatorRome now.
Map painting is the core.

I don't think any total overhauls of core mechanics are possible right now, and it's not bad at all. Changing map painting game (which EU4 actually is in it's essence) ito an economical simulator is not what I'd want to see. IMO wars and conquests (blobbing) should be it's best and most engaging feature. However it doesn't mean other gameplay aspects should be ignored =)

Even if they would add option to change trade flow - you'd change it and what then.. Speed 5 again.

It really depends on AI implementation or other players' actions.

Now if we can augment current "wide" systems to support tall game better... why not, i am for it.
Completely agree. Soft power actions would be really great so that the main rewards of the game don't come only from conquering places. I, for one, are really in favour of the return of protectorates for example.

THIS! Tall gameplay should complement wide. There were plenty of tall nations in EU4 period, some of them are still alive and well.

Classic tall play - zero expand in EU4 is no go in my opinion. It actually works great currently (since wide before absolutism was nerfed so much) - you can make France into almost unbeatable force. But ultimately its boring experience after you played it once or twice.

It's extremely boring sadly.

20 province merchant republic and small trading cities? That's why I'm here! Yet who cares about them silly islanders? :D

I don't think that a truly small nation like a trading ciry, Switzerland in all it's cores, and even a 20-provice merchant republic should ever be a true great power in 1444-1821. A secondary power? -- Hell yeah. But I fail to see how Venice would ever stop Napoleonic France in EU4.

Rebels? Jokes on you, expect Dutch rebellion to be nerfed to irrelevancy. After how the Cossacks were handled, they will be nerfed and made into easy event with a choice to become Holland for those who roleplay. Just like Cossacks.

I suggested adding peaceful foreign convertion at least so that you could in theory one faith everything without mindless conquest. That at least is a viable improvement to gameplay and is quite fun.
But oh well - Holy Orders are reserved for Iberia, so historically most viable guys will be absent for this mechanics.

No words or thoughts about estates or dev too, not even implication that it will be reflected in base game. Which means that there is little use from those mechanics being free unless you mod if devs do not do something about it in the next patch.

Lastly, Prussia will suck more as it is out of scope. Why? Because the regionality of map updating was messed up, at least do all of Western Europe in one go to not disbalance the region. This also applies to mission trees.

I think the good start would be to search for perfect circles, infinite loops, perpetuum mobiles and "magic numbers": and here we are with the banking system. Where do we get loans from? Whom are we paying them back? Can we contact with our creditors (for discounts discounts, perhaps)?
Religious conversions are another interesting topic, it's really good you've mentioned it.

Last edited:
I don't think any total overhauls of core mechanics are possible right now, and it's not bad at all. Changing map painting game (which EU4 actually is in it's essence) ito an economical simulator is not what I'd want to see. IMO wars and conquests (blobbing) should be it's best and most engaging feature. However it doesn't mean other gameplay aspects should be ignored =)

I think the best improvement could be done if at least WC/wide expansion was improved.
Like One Faith achievable semi-peacefully instead of WC-esque run, or Trade not being reduced to grabbing India and laughing like a manic with infinite mercs. EU4 should allow to alternatively expand at the very least, without land grabbing all the way. Even Republics in CK2 are done much better and taller, which is telling.

I do not even mention changed development mechanics, being an alternative to buildings, and making colonization more dynamic by giving colonies development after colonization. No damn poof! 7/7/5 province or such.

And this is not even tall play, just not HOI4tion of the EU4 and recovering lost meaning.

EU3 Release Date: Jan 2007
EU4 Release Date: Aug 2013

Welp, might be time to call cryo preservation companies for that haptic battle feedback. Pretty hyped already :p

Since we're talking about bugfixes. When we will have a fixed Clausewitz engine fixed too? Restarting the game every single time because I press back button is annoying as hell. I know that this was reported multiple times I just wanted to know if we'll ever be fixed in future or not..