• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary about Europa Universalis. This time we have a feature for Common Sens, that is so large that it is spread over two weeks of development diaries. It is how we interact with your subject states.

In the subjects overview screen, there is now an additional button where you can open up an interaction menu with all your subjects.

Today we’ll talk about the tools you have regarding vassals, marches and lesser union partners.

Placate Local Rulers
This can be done on both vassals and marches, and lets you pay prestige (if you have positive prestige), to reduce the liberty desire of that subject by 10%.

Embargo Rivals
This is a toggle you can put on any subject. If it is on they will embargo all your rivals as quickly as their diplomats can travel. However, this increases their liberty desire by 5% while active.

Place Relative on Throne
This can only be done on vassals, and only when they have a regency. You can replace the regency with a ruler from your own dynasty.

Enforce Religion
This can only be done on vassals, unions and marches. This is possible if the subject is in your religious group, have less than 50% of Liberty Desire, and you have positive relations. Of course, this increases Liberty Desire by 50%, so its something you have to evaluate when it is desirable to do.

Scutage
This is a toggle that can be set to on or off on a vassal. When it is on, they will not be called into wars, unless declared war upon. However, they will provide 50% more of its income to you.

Subsidize Armies
This is a toggle in marches, where if on, you will send up to 10% of your manpower to them each month, to fill up their manpower pool.

Fortify March
This allows you to build or upgrade a fort in a march, where you as overlord fronts the build costs.

Enforce Culture
This is the option if you got some diplomatic power to burn. You can swap the primary culture of a lesser union partner to your culture for a power cost, but this is only doable if they are below 50% liberty desire and it will increase it by 50% as well.

Siphon Income
Unions usually do not provide money to their overlord, but history is full of rulers who took from one part of their realm to provide for another. This action lets you take 50% of a lesser union partners yearly income if you have positive relations. It will increase liberty desire by 10% but also reduce relations rather dramatically.

Support Loyalists
Unions don’t have any local ruler that needs to be placated, so instead you have a toggle where you spend 10% of their monthly income each month, while reducing liberty desire by 20% as long as its active.

FLyJU4U.jpg

Next week we’ll talk about protectorates, trade companies and colonial nations, and their unique actions.

EU5 confirmed

Reactions:
Could you maybe also add an option for transferring trade power? Either a new toggle that raises transferred power from 50% to 75% or even 100% (with a substantial increase of LD) or a bar that raises/lowers LD by 5 or 10% for every 25% trade power transferred.
Imo the way trade is set up is one of the biggest reasons why you'll never want to keep vassals around for too long, so working it into the mechanic might be a good idea.

Come to think of it, why not use a slider for taxes and maybe forcelimit contribution too? If you don't tax them at all, their LD sinks, if you go over the default their LD raises. It seems weird being able to only go one way with "Siphon Income".

Other than that, great changes!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Not really. The only real benefit I can think of is to have a colonial lesser partner colonize in your culture. Otherwise, it helps if they start culture converting for your culture, but that's going to be pretty rare, and their previous primary culture will almost certainly be accepted for them. It's rare that this is worth the 100 dip and liberty desire to implement.

I think it is overpowered as well. PU Russia (or any Big Blob like Austria, France, Spain, ...) and you can expect that they will convert quite a few land provinces for you. Old primary culture may stay accepted but other provinces from their old culture group (and of course anything outside their culture group) will get converted as soon as they are not accepted (breton and other small cultures in France and Iberia, tatar, finnish, byelorussian and ruthenian etc. ..., I dunno how cultural unions will react - e.g. if I change French primary culture to some other - I expect that it will even more bugged than it is now).

My concern is that it might be able to get PU on Big Blob as a medium country (using other allied Blobs to beat them), and if they are below 50% LD you force culture change. Now they are 99% LD, get support and you grant them independence. However after say 100 years all Siberia, most of East Europe etc. is not Russian, but e.g. Lombard/Bavarian/... , or big part of Iberia is Danish.

So my plea to Paradox:
1) Please add mechanism to reject/revert culture change, e.g. after declaring independence war
2) add more constraints in addition to 50% LD (say total tax (development), same religion etc)

What makes me sad is that Paradox decided to invest into broken culture mechanism (and I do not think that is anybody here who will say that current culture mechanism is fine: accepted culture magically gained after 3 years of coring process and later lost after 200 years of acceptance, broken cultural unions, possibility to erase/overwrite culture in a few years (e.g. Austrian Lowlands and Hungary, English Ireland, Swedish Finland, Spanish Italy etc.) , ... just to name a few), instead to rework it.

Reactions:
I think it is overpowered as well. PU Russia (or any Big Blob like Austria, France, Spain, ...) and you can expect that they will convert quite a few land for you. Old primary culture may stay accepted but other provinces from their old culture group will get converted as soon as they are not accepted (breton and other small cultures in France and Iberia, tatar, byelorussian and ruthenian etc. ..., I dunno how cultural unions will react - e.g. if I change French primary culture to some other - I expect that it will even more bugged than it is now).

My concern is that it might be able to get PU on Big Blob as a medium country (using other allied Blobs to beat them), and if they are below 50% LD you force culture change. Now they are 99% LD, get support and you grant them independence. However after say 100 years all Siberia, most of East Europe etc. is not Russian, but e.g. Lombard/Bavarian/... , or big part of Iberia is Danish.

So my plea to Paradox:
1) Please add mechanism to reject/revert culture change, e.g. after declaring independence war
2) add more constraints in addition to 50% LD (say total tax (development), same religion etc)

What makes me sad is that Paradox decided to invest into broken culture mechanism (and I do not think that is anybody here who will say that current culture mechanism is fine: accepted culture magically gained and later lost after 200 years of acceptance, broken cultural unions, possibility to erase/overwrite culture in a few years (e.g. Austrian Lowlands and Hungary, English Ireland, Swedish Finland, Spanish Italy etc.) , ... just to name a few), instead to rework it.

Easy solution: make AI flip the culture back once they are free after the war(if they win and if their previous culture is still dominating).

Reactions:
Also, any chance Cuba and Hispaniola are both their own colonial nations? Doesn't seem right to clump them all together with the Antilles cn.

Reactions:
What are the conditions for the ai to go about removing a march? Poland removing Moldovia as a march when it senses the Ottomans are too weak for example?

Generally AIs will use marches for borders with powerful rivals.

Reactions:
One question a tad off topic. Did you change Croatia´s political mapmode color? It has this ugly Green that looks like Ottoman green.

Only feature I've ever requested is the ability to change any nation's color at any time, choosing from the full palette, and only on the local client, of course.

Reactions:
That's really welcomed changes! What's the point of installing a dynast on a vassal throne? Is there something more than the opinion bonus for same dynasty?

That's really welcomed changes! What's the point of installing a dynast on a vassal throne? Is there something more than the opinion bonus for same dynasty?
IIRC if vassal ruler of same dynasty dies without heir you inherit the country. I presume it will be mainly useful for places like North Africa but doing it for all vassals you eventually want annexed means relations boost and chance to not pay dip points or suffering dip rep penalty.

Reactions:
Relationship bonus, and if you're ever forced to release them they'll still be of your dynasty.

Last edited:
Have to say, the huge amount of interaction is one of the best updates to date.

I think a lot of players (maybe even a slight majority) see subjects as one thing only.. 'future land' by absorbing them after 10 year limit or so. With this, hopefully in some cases it turns out more beneficial to keep Subjects alive and to NOT absorb them. Love you paradox, you made a RP player very happy.

Reactions:
Hmmm.... Notice the slider on the right of the vassall list? Burgundy has at least one other vassal (it can't be a union, since it's before Nevers) they're not telling us about.

Reactions:
It seems that 1444 will be without france. Nice burgondy with french navies and territories....
Huh? In what way do you see this in this screenshot? I can't see Burgundy owning any French territory on that picture.