• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary about Europa Universalis. This time we have a feature for Common Sens, that is so large that it is spread over two weeks of development diaries. It is how we interact with your subject states.

In the subjects overview screen, there is now an additional button where you can open up an interaction menu with all your subjects.

Today we’ll talk about the tools you have regarding vassals, marches and lesser union partners.

Placate Local Rulers
This can be done on both vassals and marches, and lets you pay prestige (if you have positive prestige), to reduce the liberty desire of that subject by 10%.

Embargo Rivals
This is a toggle you can put on any subject. If it is on they will embargo all your rivals as quickly as their diplomats can travel. However, this increases their liberty desire by 5% while active.

Place Relative on Throne
This can only be done on vassals, and only when they have a regency. You can replace the regency with a ruler from your own dynasty.

Enforce Religion
This can only be done on vassals, unions and marches. This is possible if the subject is in your religious group, have less than 50% of Liberty Desire, and you have positive relations. Of course, this increases Liberty Desire by 50%, so its something you have to evaluate when it is desirable to do.

Scutage
This is a toggle that can be set to on or off on a vassal. When it is on, they will not be called into wars, unless declared war upon. However, they will provide 50% more of its income to you.

Subsidize Armies
This is a toggle in marches, where if on, you will send up to 10% of your manpower to them each month, to fill up their manpower pool.

Fortify March
This allows you to build or upgrade a fort in a march, where you as overlord fronts the build costs.

Enforce Culture
This is the option if you got some diplomatic power to burn. You can swap the primary culture of a lesser union partner to your culture for a power cost, but this is only doable if they are below 50% liberty desire and it will increase it by 50% as well.

Siphon Income
Unions usually do not provide money to their overlord, but history is full of rulers who took from one part of their realm to provide for another. This action lets you take 50% of a lesser union partners yearly income if you have positive relations. It will increase liberty desire by 10% but also reduce relations rather dramatically.

Support Loyalists
Unions don’t have any local ruler that needs to be placated, so instead you have a toggle where you spend 10% of their monthly income each month, while reducing liberty desire by 20% as long as its active.

FLyJU4U.jpg

Next week we’ll talk about protectorates, trade companies and colonial nations, and their unique actions.

So. No more table with list of vassals. Sad.
I like it because of it contains list of trade companies with digits of needed percent for free merchants - on one screen, :)

Reactions:
So. No more table with list of vassals. Sad.
I like it because of it contains list of trade companies with digits of needed percent for free merchants - on one screen, :)

No, it's still there. This is a subscreen of that.

Reactions:
Enforce Culture
This is the option if you got some diplomatic power to burn. You can swap the primary culture of a lesser union partner to your culture for a power cost, but this is only doable if they are below 50% liberty desire and it will increase it by 50% as well.

Overpowered.

Reactions:
Personally I really want to be able to extract trade power from my vassals. I would love to set up trade vassals if I'm an island nation instead of having to be forced to expand into the mainland or create enclaves.

Very much this. The perfect subject for me would give me all their TP but no other taxes. In some cases I'd even pay them a subsidy if that's what it takes. It's not so much about extracting money directly from the vassal, it's about how even a small amount of TP you don't control can significantly reduce the efficiency of your trade network, so letting the overlord control all trade can mean more income for the empire as a whole. Also, a large-scale trade network ends up redistributing money amongst your subjects in strange ways: small upstream ones end up collecting far more money than they can reasonably use, so that money is effectively wasted.

Reactions:
Overpowered.
Not really. The only real benefit I can think of is to have a colonial lesser partner colonize in your culture. Otherwise, it helps if they start culture converting for your culture, but that's going to be pretty rare, and their previous primary culture will almost certainly be accepted for them. It's rare that this is worth the 100 dip and liberty desire to implement.

Reactions:
How moddable will these actions be? Will we be able to change which subjects these actions apply to (e.g. make the culture one apply to vassals instead of union partners)? Will we be able to add new ones ourselves (e.g. add a transfer trade power option to vassals)?

Also, please allow us to create/remove march status via events. It's insane that we can do this for every subject type except marches, and that becomes more and more of a burden the more relevant marches become.

Reactions:
i still cat see when i would do something that highers liberty desire by 50% it seems so dramaticly
I would cheerfully accept a decaying-over-time 50% LD bump to force my heretic vassals to accept my religion so that I can increase my province-conversion bandwidth (and avoid them converting any my-religion provinces they already own).

woo gd stuff wiz..... and client states?
Can you articulate a coherent set of rules for the AI deciding to make a client state? Because I'm having real trouble coming up with any.

Can you articulate a coherent set of rules for the AI deciding to make a client state? Because I'm having real trouble coming up with any.

Well let us look at the history they relate too, id est Napoleon. What 'rules' could be transferred from the historical precedence for their occurrence that could be set as boundaries for the AI?

also remembering that in this dev diary we have just seen new logic applied to the AI for new interactions with vassals, marches and PU's...

- Governmnet type - revolutionary in nature?
- a certain no. provinces bordering an enemy of a certain government type?
- maybe a rule for the AI in that a client state would be a minimum of 1-5 provinces?

Reactions:
I just woke up, so perhaps I'm missing something, but most of these features don't seem all that useful.

EDIT: Dislike my opinion all you like. It won't change it until someone brings up a convincing and constructive counterargument.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Can't client states be used to avoid OE and LA? You take some land have it with few cores and high LA, you make it into a client state and integrate it later to get no LA and OE.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Reactions:
I just woke up, so perhaps I'm missing something, but most of these features don't seem all that useful.

They should add up, squeeze a bit more gold from vassals - can become significant over time with more vassals, especially if they are decently rich. Then they start to rebel so liberty desire rise, so we can lower that with new tools we have. There's one prestige burner in the game. Then enforce religion and culture change are nice options to have. All this together.. not bad.

Reactions:
It's all about options, it's better to have them than not to have them. They may be hugely situational but it's still nice when those situations arise.

Reactions:
Great changes, but you may want to tone down the 'Support Loyalists' option. A good thing introduced earlier was having to care about vassals Liberty Desire, but this option feels like for little (10% money?) you get a huge bonus (20% reduction of LD). I'd say more like 10% for 10%.

Reactions: