• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 1st of August 2017

Hello everyone!

I am Trin Tragula and this is the first of the post-vacation Europa Universalis Developer Diaries. As I type this most of the team has begun coming back from vacation (though I am still enjoying the mild climate of southern Sweden for another week) and continued work has begun on the 1.23 patch.

So what have we been up to before and during the summer?

Well, we have for a long time felt that the Near East could do with a bit of a facelift.

In Art of War we gave Arabia and Egypt a much needed overhaul, increasing the number of provinces and expanding the number of countries. As you might remember, if you followed the developed diaries of Art of War, this is something we had great help with from the map modder @CanOmer .

1.8 was a long time ago however, and the general level of detail in many regions have changed since then. Over time we have come to feel that the setup could be much more detailed than we wanted back then and that some of the decisions we had taken in terms of how to portray things could be revisited.

Today I will be talking about what was going on in Arabia and Egypt in 1444 and how patch 1.23 will cover this differently from previous versions.

Yemen:
Yemen.jpg

In 1444 Yemen is still ruled by the Rasulid dynasty from Taiz, but the Rasulid rule has been growing weaker. The populous Upper Yemen is under the control of the Shiite Rassid Imams from their capital in Sana’a and to many they would be a more fitting leader for a united Yemen. The Rassids are however in the middle of a civil war of their own, with many different relatives vying for the leadership of the Imamate.
In south-eastern Yemen the Tahirid dynasty has achieved independence, in all but name, from the Rasulids. As they expand their rule towards the coast they seem very likely to soon overthrow their old overlords. Like the Rasulids they are Sunni however, and lack support from the Shia in the mountains.

Compared to the rest of Arabia, Yemen is actually somewhat densely populated and was, in the 15th century, also the source of most of the world's exported coffee. While Coffee is grown throughout Yemen and the Horn of Africa the port of Mocha in southern Yemen is by far the most important port for the export of the roasted beans. This was to become one of the main sources of income for the Yemeni rulers, as well as other powers that came to control the region.

In patch 1.23 Mocha will have a goods produced modifier for Coffee to signify the great importance of this port in the history of the Coffee trade. Yemeni coffee merchants will have to be careful however, as the modifier may be lost if someone manages to export their secret plants to other parts of the world.

To the east the development of the Yemeni struggles are watched with interest by the independent Kathiri dynasty of Hadhramaut and the maritime Sultanate of Mahra. In the north the Sharifates of the Hejaz and Asir as well the Shiite Emirate of Najran bide their time while the Yemenis fight pretenders and eachother.

New Playable Countries in 1444:
  • Aden: In 1444 this tag represents the Tahirids. It starts as independent.
  • Rassids: This is tag represents the Shia Rassid Imams of the Yemen upland.
  • Hadramut: The Kathiri dynasty rules the sparsely populated desert coast to the east of Yemen.
  • Mahra: The Mahra sultanate rules the southern coastline of Arabia as well as the island of Socotra.
  • Mikhlaf: Shiite Sharifate in the Asir mountains and the adjoining coast.
  • Najran: A small Shiite tribal state in the region just north of the Yemen Highlands.

Yemen can now be formed by a country controlling the important provinces of Yemen (to do this in 1444 you will have to destroy the Rasulid Sultanate).

The Hejaz & Central Arabia:
Hejaz.jpg

In 1444 the Hejaz was not a united region. The Sharifate of Mecca, ruled by the Hawashim family, is the strongest state but by no means entirely dominant. Their main contenders are the Husaynid Sharifs, who rule the holy city of Medina.
To the north and across the Red Sea the Mamluk Sultanate is a constant factor in Hejazi politics, and claim to be the protector of both of the Sharifates, often intervening in their conflicts against each other as well as in the appointment of new Sharifs. Historically the Mamluks under Qa'itbay would eventually appoint the Sharif of Mecca as the viceroy of Hejaz, uniting the states by military force.

While know far less of what was going on in detail in 1444 specifically for the inner parts of the peninsula we have taken the opportunity to break up the land into more provinces, making sure that they match the caravan routes used throughout the era. Rather than divide the country in a number of easily conquered one province countries we have decided to keep it under fewer and bigger conglomerate tags.
Najd, with its capital in Diriyah (the future core of the Saudi state), and Shammar, with its capital in Ha’il, remains in control of a wider area in which they represent a number of minor tribes. In the south Dawasir controls a number of the inland oasis and caravan routes.

New Playable Countries in 1444:
  • Medina, representing the Husaynid Sharifs of Medina.
  • Dawasir, representing the Dawasir as well as other tribes controlling the southern routes between Yemen and the eastern coastline.

Oman & Bahrain - Eastern Arabia
Oman.jpg

In 1444 the Omani interior was ruled by the Ibadi Imamate (sometimes called Sultanate) of Oman while the coastal cities of Oman and the Pirate Coast are under the overlordship of the kingdom of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf. This would eventually make the Sultanate a very tempting target for the Portuguese when they arrived in the region, who would choose to attack Hormuz directly to take control over its network of coastal cities.

Further east the Jabrids of Haasa have conquered the coastline, and most importantly the rich pearl fishing ports of Qatar and Awal.

New Playable countries in 1444:
  • Jas - The tribe that would eventually found Dubai exists in 1444, controlling the inland Liwa oasis.

Egypt & Northern Arabia
Egypt.jpg

Throughout the history of the Islamic world, and the history of the Mediterranean itself, Egypt has remained one of the most important regions to control. Egypt was a major entrepôt for cloth, cotton and spices but it was also the greatest exporter of grain and rice in the region and many great cities depended on the harvests of the Nile Delta.
The great dependency on the Nile in an otherwise arid and inhospitable land also means that Egypt has many interesting geographic features.

Both of these are things we felt the game did not properly model so we have taken this opportunity to redraw and re-imagine Egypt in patch 1.23:

More provinces have been added along the Nile and in the Nile Delta and wastelands have been added to limit access between the Red Sea Coastline and the Nile, as well as between the Mediterranean coast and the Nile (you can probably spot the Qattara depression in the screenshot above now).

In order to better show the great importance of the Egyptian grain trade we have added special goods produced modifiers for grain in the provinces of the Delta.
We have also added in more Arab federations in the Syrian Interior and northern Arabia.

New playable countries:
  • Anizah: A tribal federation controlling the inner caravan route between the Hejaz and Syria.
  • Fadl: A tribal federation and a Mamluk vassal with its capital in Palmyra/Tadmor.

That was all for the map and historical setup changes of Arabia and Egypt!

It is our hope that these changes will make the region come alive more and in general be more interesting to play in, with a greater diversity of playable states and a more accurate setup in general.

Next week I will be back to talk a bit about Anatolia and the Caucasus... :)

all i see is neutral, threatened, hostile, and friendly, but no defensive ally
Hidden beneath the favours buttons should be a checkbox labelled "Join Offensive Wars".
By checking this box, the AI shouldn't call you to wars.

Glad to see comments, if you wish you can use the suggestions forum to provide more information or expand on them :)
We frequently take input posted there.

1. The Tahirids definitely did conquer Aden after our start date. They still controlled most of the Aden province in 1444 though so the province should by all rights be theirs by our reckoning. Splitting the province just for the benefit of the 1444 setup did not seem feasible. The level of detail is increased sufficiently as is for our needs now :)
2. Yes this is mentioned in the diary. They were nominally under Rasulid control but powerful enough to be able to ignore their requests or not as they please. For our purposes they start independent as it is closer to the real life situation in 1444 as far as we can tell.
3. The internet is a great source of information for many things but for some more specific areas it can be less so. Wikipedia and most online sites will say the Hejaz was unified under Mecca but this wasn't so until the 1470s (and in fact they were often at war). The Mamluk sultanate did meddle in the internal affairs of both Mecca and Medina. Here's a text that _is_ available online about the Sharifates: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1595853 It is on Jstor though.
4. Najran is there to cover the Banu Yam who were in place since at least the 13th century. Their claim to fame is of course mostly that they later on became the basis for the Suleymanid Ismaili Makramides.
5. I believe this is covered in the diary. Najd is not a name for a tribe but a geographic/regional name. It is used to cover a number of states that existed in the area as they would otherwise be far too weak.
6. The Dawasir are documented to have waged war against the Jabrids near our start date so they were certainly around.
7. The Encyclopedia of Islam disagrees, if you have better sources I'd love to see them :)
8. Not as far as I've found but if you have references for this I'd love to see them too :)
9. As far as I could find out there's no documentation before the 16th century but at that point the oasis was supposed to be in their hands. We cannot really know before that (again unless you have information that say something else, in which case I'd love to have a look).

EDIT: To refer to the right article.

@Trin Tragula

Hey, I do hope this is the proper place/time to hop in, I'm rubbish with forum etiquette and have been known to accidentally revive year-old discussions by accident, so please go easy on me ;P!

This is Draíocht (Beyond Typus mod creator), I have to say I'm absolutely thrilled to see this sort of blow-by-blow explanation regarding choices made in Arabia. From the perspective of a mod developer, it really helps one to go into things with one's eyes open, as it were, and understand the logic and motivation behind the unavoidable compromises that occasionally crop up.

I do feel a bit silly having worked on the overhaul of Arabia just a few months ago for my mod, only to find that you good people are doing the same! But I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing your finished version and looking into any details we (the BtPL Team and myself) may have missed. Having recently looked at the area, I know full well the difficulties in sifting through various sources to find reliable information, sometimes to no avail, and I'm sure you're busy, but I'm curious about a few things; should you have the time, I'd love to know the sources/inspiration behind the new Fadl tag (Palmyra based polity) and the positioning of the Anizah tag, I've come across nothing definitive in either case.

Also regarding the quoted portions above responding to @JSparks101:

I believe in #8 JSparks may have been referring to the teasingly ambiguous and uncited reference In "Jassim The Leader Founder of Qatar", Link (It is okay to link google books here, I hope??) just 4 pages in from the introduction, stating that "Hormuz's authority extended to Qatar, whose pearls continued to provide one of the kingdom's main sources of income" then says very little until Portuguese influence. This work is cited on various websites and online encyclopedias as evidence for Qatar's association with Hormuz but certainly sovereignty around here was... very messy, so I'm dubious that any general encyclopedia could properly caputure any finer nuance (which still eludes me, as well) and notably, it does not mention the mid 15th century specifically and the Jabrids were shaking things up by this point.

As for #7 + #9, I believe JSparks may have been referring to the similarly ambigiuous and non definitive reference found in the not-altogether-relevant-sounding "Arab/American: Landscape, Culture and Cuisine in Two Great Deserts" Link, (google books again, I hope that is okay?) page 78-79, mentioning Nabhani influence in Liwa, Suhar, and Yabrin specifically "The Banu Nabhani likely controlled the more difficult overland [francincense] route from Suhar and Liwa to the Yabrin Oasis." though this is in the context of trade, of course, and may or may not refer to actual sovereignty. The same section, however, also refers explicitly to Nabhani controlled forts in Suhar: "The Portuguese seafarer Alfonso de Alburquerque first encountered the second Nabhanid castle in Suhar in 1507" and makes a couple other similar references to Nabhani control of Suhar and the coastal area of Oman 1300-1500, though nothing specific to the mid-15th century. This is also cited a few places on websites dealing with the Nabhani.

I'd love to know if you've stumbled across any good sources in English (or FR or DE) for these regions. I myself am quite out of my element here and fear I'm unable to properly access the quality or reliability of sources as accurately as I might normally be able to. But then, after all, we all know how reliable the internet is! ;D

Sorry to jump into the discussion so late, and thank you so much for your time!

P.S. Edit - I was so focused, I forgot to mention: Bravo on the Near East facelift, you're going to put us modders out of a job =p, improving the base game so much. And thank you very much for the JStor link!
-Draíocht

Last edited:
The main thing we lean against for the influence of Hormuz as well as many other things is Brills encyclopedia of Islam (articles about Nabhanis, Hormuz, Uman, the various ports themselves and so on).
That encyclopedia is invaluable for many things that most texts or books one can find on the internet just conveniently gloss over. If you can get hold of it i warmly recommend it, it’s not just any encyclopedia, it leaves few stones unturned (it is however over 10 000 pages in total and might be a bit pricey for a mod project).

That said this is often a region that’s not very well documented, especially when it comes to the Arabian interior, and we have had to take some liberties both to avoid micro tags and in cases where “ownership” would’ve been very fleeting.

So pumped for this release! Any chance one could get a look at the national ideas of the new/changed nations in the Yemen area? I know it's not far to wait, but since we're starting a new mp asap after the release having the full nation info for sign-ups would be nice :)

So pumped for this release! Any chance one could get a look at the national ideas of the new/changed nations in the Yemen area? I know it's not far to wait, but since we're starting a new mp asap after the release having the full nation info for sign-ups would be nice :)
They showed Rassid's ideas in the dev mp clash, check it on youtube

I think they released most if not all the national ideas. The dev diaries have them all interspersed.
I've been able to find all but the ones in the arabia/Egypt/Yemen region, shown in the first dev diary, hence why I'm asking about them.

please do something with AI cheating military access, it's destroying tactical aspects of game
The ai doesnt cheat regarding mil access.

please do something with AI cheating military access, it's destroying tactical aspects of game
They follow the same rules as players

I'm guessing that your enemy is fighting in another war, since you don't get automatic access to your enemy's enemies' land. I've also run into the issue that the enemy runs into a province he doesn't have access to and gets immediately blackflagged. I think this can happen if he had mil access to that province until recently, but I couldn't really reproduce the issue. But as already stated, the AI should be following the same rules as you do.

I'm guessing that your enemy is fighting in another war, since you don't get automatic access to your enemy's enemies' land. I've also run into the issue that the enemy runs into a province he doesn't have access to and gets immediately blackflagged. I think this can happen if he had mil access to that province until recently, but I couldn't really reproduce the issue. But as already stated, the AI should be following the same rules as you do.

yeah somehow the ai can choose to black flag themselves with a friend of them that is not currently in the war. I don't know how they do it.