• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 16th of May 2017

Hi everyone, and welcome to another Europa Universalis development diary. I hope you all enjoyed PdxCon last weekend, either in person or from watching the streams.

As you all know, we announced our new Immersion Pack, Third Rome, which will be out in June this year for 9.99$. So what is an immersion pack then? Well, it is something between a full expansion and a small graphics pack, similar to the story pack Leviathans for Stellaris.

Closest comparison to Third Rome of our previous releases for EU4 would be Wealth of Nations when it comes to amount and size of features. Third Rome also comes bundled with a portrait pack for russians, and 3 new sprite-packs, for 12 countries in the russian region, including Ryazan, Lithuania and Perm.

So, what cool features will we talk about today then?

We’re adding three new russian government types. The actual types are in the free patch, but the abilities we give them as well, belong to the Immersion Pack.

Veche Republic
This is a new republic form, which works like a merchant republic and have access to the russian abilities as well. They are always duchy rank, and their bonus is +1 merchant. Novgorod and Pskov starts as Veche Republics. It also gives +3 to states.

Principality
This is the new monarchy governmentform, which all russian monarchies start with. It has access to the russian abilities, and while they are locked to duchy rank, they have a bonus of -1 unrest and +5% Tax Modifier. It also gives +3 to states.

Tsardom
This government form is given when forming Russia, and is automatically empire rank. Besides giving +10 to amount of states and access to the russian abilities, it gives the following bonuses. +20% Manpower, +0.1 Yearly Absolutism & -0.05 monthly autonomy.

eu4_43.png

The russian abilities work like this. All actions have a bar to fill up before they can be used. Bar fill up from 0 - 100, increasing yearly by the ruler’s monarch point in the category, and a base +3. The actual bar can hold 150, so you don’t lose by not using it immediately.
  • The Administrative ability is called Reform Sudebnik, and reduces autonomy by 10% in all provinces you own.
  • The diplomatic ability is called Support Oprichnina, and reduces progress of all your rebelfactions by 30% each.
  • The military ability is called Raise Streltsy, and reduces war exhaustion by 2, and raises 20% of your forcelimit as Streltsy Infantry in your capital.

So what is Streltsy units? Previously we had three categories of units, with regulars, mercenaries & banners. In 1.22 there are two more categories added, and one of those is the Streltsy.

Streltsy arrive at full strength, but low morale, and do not cost manpower nor gold at recruit, but otherwise works like a regular unit, if not for two distinct differences. First, the amount of streltsy compared to your force.limit increases your stability costs, while each streltsy regiment provides +10% fire damage.

The other category we add for 1.22 is Cossacks, which is there for everyone that bought the “The Cossacks” expansion. Cossacks work like regulars, except they do +10% extra shock damage.

Cossacks are recruited as an estate interaction, where each province assigned to the Cossacks estate will give you 1 cavalry cossack regiment.

Of course, fittingly for the focus on this update, we have added three new interactions to the Cossacks estate.
  • Conscripting Elites: gain army tradition, lose loyalty
  • Supply Arms: lose MIL, gain loyalty and influence
  • Permit Self Governance: give autonomy to cossack lands, gain loyalty and influence

Next week, we’ll take a deeper look into more abilities of Russia and the Tsardom.

Russian republics have to get their own government type, otherwise you end up with them not having any of the Russian mechanics.

You think the other Merchant republics should have their own unique governments? Then go to the Suggestion forums and suggest what should be different about them.
There has been hundreds of posts how either Lübeck or the italian merchant city states should not be merchant republics over the years. I have made several such posts myself.

Interesting idea for an expansion! I like the idea of an "immersion pack." Now Purple Phoenix and American Dream can finally get a companion. And it's great to see you adding new features to older DLCs as well.

Now, when can those of us who paid for American Dream expect the announcement of a unique American government to replace the one that was removed…? ;)

Last edited:
It may just be me, but I think those three new icons should be resized and made smaller.

These abilities really ought to come at some higher price that makes them a harder choice. Also, I'd like to see a similar overhaul to Poland which would ideally expand upon estates, allowing you to call up special winged hussar regiments (very expensive) and interact with the country's sizable Jewish minority.

k66kdZD.png

When will this happen? (some provinces are already in the game)
Province Names:
1 - Bila Tserkva
2 - Starodub
3 - Chernigov
4 - Donets (not a town, but a river)
5 - Nikolayiv
6 - Kamyanets' Podilsky
7 - Poltava
8 - Nova Sich
9 - Yedisan
10 - Kharkov
11 - Mansur
ADUCRIQ.png

Although these 3 nations would exist in different periods, I still showed them all as one on the map.
1 - West Hetmanate
2 - East Hetmanate
3 - Zaporozhia
And a union between 1 and 2 would be a part of Lithuania. (just Hetmanate) (later would be vassal)

So basically, Russia will now have a 95% manpower bonus when they form, not even counting in the fact that they will probably take quantity. Holy sh*t. Let the russian death stacks commence.

playing as Pskov, swapped away from veche republic to despotic monarcy by letting my republican tradition fall, no longer have russian abilities, shouldnt you turn into a principality instead of despotic monarcy when you have east slavic culture?