• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome back to our weekly series of development diaries about Europa Universalis. This time we’ll talk about two features that will be part of the next expansion.

Theocracies
This is based on something we read in the suggestions forum. Monarchies and Republics have had their Legitimacy and Republican Tradition, but Theocracies haven’t had a unique mechanic yet. The next expansion will add a concept we call Devotion. Devotion ranges for 0 to 100, and impacts several thing.

Devotion impacts your religious abilities, your prestige gain and your tax-income.

You primarily gain devotion from high religious unity and the devoutness idea. Low stability will decrease it, while being Defender of the Faith will increase it.

There are also a lot of events that impact your devotion.

Another unique mechanic for theocracies is the fact that they always have an heir, and they have somewhat of control of it.

If you do not have an heir, you get a chance to select one heir. Heirs are age 40+ with random stats. You can then pick one of the following.

• A Local Noble – Loses 5 devotion, but gains +10 Prestige
  • A Foreign Noble - Gains +100 relation with a random nation.
  • A Merchant's Son - +25% yearly income, lost 10 devotion
  • A Papal Protege – Catholic only. Gains +10 Papal Influence
  • A Talented Theologian: +10 Devotion
  • A local preacher – +5 Devotion & -10 Prestige

Government Ranks
A new feature in the next expansion is the introduction of proper Government Ranks. In previous versions, most countries would either be simply a Kingdom or a Republic, with a few special cases like Byzantium's Imperial Government and vassalized Kings becoming Dukes. If you don't get the expansion, this changes little, but for those with it most government types will come in three ranks: Duchy, Kingdom and Empire. While these are the names of the ranks, it doesn't mean there aren't any ranks for Republics - Venice's Serene Republic is on the same level as a Kingdom, for example.

Countries will start with whatever is closest to the rank they had historically, so the King of Burgundy becomes the Duke of Burgundy, while Byzantium is very much an Empire despite no longer having a special government form. Vassals, Marches and non-Elector members of the HRE are always Duchy rank, and certain government types only come in a single rank (such as Ming's Celestial Empire, which is always an Empire). Countries that are not locked to a particular rank can raise their rank through the Government screen by fulfilling certain requirements such as a certain level of prestige and total development level of your nation.

So what benefit do you get from a higher government rank, besides a new title and fancier headgear? Well, for one, higher government ranks are able to change their National Focus more often, with the default 25 year cooldown being 20 years for Kingdoms, and a mere 15 years for Empires. The bonuses granted from each government are now also set per rank, with government types getting more autonomy reduction from the higher ranks, while others such as Steppe Hordes have their base government bonuses to force limits, manpower and looting speed increased by higher government ranks.

Finally, this system also comes with a complete and mod-friendly overhaul of how government names and titles are handled. Under the old system, if you wanted to for example call your Greek Emperor a Basileus, you would have to create a particular localisation string that might get overwritten by other localisation strings, and there was no ability to differentiate between the titles of say, a Greek Western Technology Group Emperor and a Greek Eastern Technology Group Emperor. Under the new system, you script specific government name/title entries that might look something like this:

Code:
byzantine_monarchy = {
rank_1 = PRINCIPALITY
rank_2 = KINGDOM
rank_3 = EMPIRE

ruler_1 = AUTOKRATOR
ruler_1_female = AUTOKRATEIRA
ruler_2 = DESPOT
ruler_2_female = DESPOTISSA
ruler_3 = BASILEUS
ruler_3_female = BASILISSA

trigger = {
   government = monarchy
   tag = BYZ
}
}

The game goes through the government entries, picks the first one it finds where the trigger evaluates true, and applies those government titles to that nation. This means that if you so desire, you could create a complete unique set of government names for each and every country in the game!

AQP3Ng9.jpg

I think the Byzantines should get extra force limit or diplomatic buffs, for example Constantinople was a very major trade area for spice and other valuable trade goods from Asia, so more people (Countries) should be more friendly towards the Byzantines. For the force limit I think they should get navy force limit buff or you should add mercenary ships that you can hire. And maybe add Greek Fire, the only super unique ship for the Byzantines.

Reactions:
I think the Byzantines should get extra force limit or diplomatic buffs, for example Constantinople was a very major trade area for spice and other valuable trade goods from Asia, so more people (Countries) should be more friendly towards the Byzantines. For the force limit I think they should get navy force limit buff or you should add mercenary ships that you can hire. And maybe add Greek Fire, the only super unique ship for the Byzantines.

Force limits is based on base tax, the owner of Constantinople already has good boost. Take Ottomans and reconquer Constantinople, check force limits and you will see that the difference is significant.

The Ottomans or other empires holding Constantinople might, the Byzantines shouldn't. By the start of EU4 Constantinople was a shadow of its former glory, with plenty of Western European cities having surpassed it both in population and wealth.

The Ottomans revived it, but that took it once again being the capital of an empire spanning the Balkans, Anatolia and the Levant, the Constantinople of 1444 was the lesser of more than a couple of North Italian city states.

Reactions:
Great stuff! Cant wait to play it. Must be a whole new experience which i waited for so long. I allways wanted a deeper military experience like HOI, a deeper internal experience like victoria and the setting of EUIV. Great! :D

... i'm not judging anything since i already think i got way beyond what paradox promised the very first days of this game thanks to dlcs, patches and the next expansion.

You are right, it is a good game :)
On another note, Res Publica should have never stood on its own. It's a part of Wealth of Nations and should have been integrated into it from the beginning (instead a part of a research of dlc pricing/content).

I think they should have a penalty, since Constantinople was pretty depopulated by 1453.

That would hav been before the city was sacked by the crusaders. Corntrary to what many belive the Turks didn't break the back the byzantine empire, their fellow christians did. The turks just mopped up what was left.

Can you please add an event that dissolves the Hansa if it has lost trade hegemony (or just is below X percentage in trade node), or if it has lost enough provinces/is weakened enough? :) Can't wait for the new patch!

Can you please add an event that dissolves the Hansa if it has lost trade hegemony (or just is below X percentage in trade node), or if it has lost enough provinces/is weakened enough? :) Can't wait for the new patch!
Why? The hansa in eu4 is just any other country. It doesnt even have events to get claims on the Hansa cities.... denmark does.

Will there be some unique features for the roman empire? Or maybe they will get the byzantine features? It is bad, that when you convert roman empire there is no unique event for it. And delete the event that roman empire can switch to byzantine again. It makes no sense.

It shouldn't be just any other country. It should have the possibility to be broken up, as that's what happened, and because of the nature of the league.
It basically starts broken up. No Visby Danzig, Rostock, Novgorod, Brugge and so on. Since it never takes any of these places the point of it breaking up is kind of meaningless. Also the Hansa still exists. Sure it was basically just lübeck at one point but it never really ended per se.

I'd love to see the hansa made to work properly and then they should as you said add an event that breaks it up. (either it could be handled kind of like the hre or like the colonial trade companies).

Last edited:
Welcome back to our weekly series of development diaries about Europa Universalis. This time we’ll talk about two features that will be part of the next expansion.

Theocracies
This is based on something we read in the suggestions forum. Monarchies and Republics have had their Legitimacy and Republican Tradition, but Theocracies haven’t had a unique mechanic yet. The next expansion will add a concept we call Devotion. Devotion ranges for 0 to 100, and impacts several thing.

Devotion impacts your religious abilities, your prestige gain and your tax-income.

You primarily gain devotion from high religious unity and the devoutness idea. Low stability will decrease it, while being Defender of the Faith will increase it.

There are also a lot of events that impact your devotion.

Another unique mechanic for theocracies is the fact that they always have an heir, and they have somewhat of control of it.

If you do not have an heir, you get a chance to select one heir. Heirs are age 40+ with random stats. You can then pick one of the following.

• A Local Noble – Loses 5 devotion, but gains +10 Prestige
  • A Foreign Noble - Gains +100 relation with a random nation.
  • A Merchant's Son - +25% yearly income, lost 10 devotion
  • A Papal Protege – Catholic only. Gains +10 Papal Influence
  • A Talented Theologian: +10 Devotion
  • A local preacher – +5 Devotion & -10 Prestige

Government Ranks
A new feature in the next expansion is the introduction of proper Government Ranks. In previous versions, most countries would either be simply a Kingdom or a Republic, with a few special cases like Byzantium's Imperial Government and vassalized Kings becoming Dukes. If you don't get the expansion, this changes little, but for those with it most government types will come in three ranks: Duchy, Kingdom and Empire. While these are the names of the ranks, it doesn't mean there aren't any ranks for Republics - Venice's Serene Republic is on the same level as a Kingdom, for example.

Countries will start with whatever is closest to the rank they had historically, so the King of Burgundy becomes the Duke of Burgundy, while Byzantium is very much an Empire despite no longer having a special government form. Vassals, Marches and non-Elector members of the HRE are always Duchy rank, and certain government types only come in a single rank (such as Ming's Celestial Empire, which is always an Empire). Countries that are not locked to a particular rank can raise their rank through the Government screen by fulfilling certain requirements such as a certain level of prestige and total development level of your nation.

So what benefit do you get from a higher government rank, besides a new title and fancier headgear? Well, for one, higher government ranks are able to change their National Focus more often, with the default 25 year cooldown being 20 years for Kingdoms, and a mere 15 years for Empires. The bonuses granted from each government are now also set per rank, with government types getting more autonomy reduction from the higher ranks, while others such as Steppe Hordes have their base government bonuses to force limits, manpower and looting speed increased by higher government ranks.

Finally, this system also comes with a complete and mod-friendly overhaul of how government names and titles are handled. Under the old system, if you wanted to for example call your Greek Emperor a Basileus, you would have to create a particular localisation string that might get overwritten by other localisation strings, and there was no ability to differentiate between the titles of say, a Greek Western Technology Group Emperor and a Greek Eastern Technology Group Emperor. Under the new system, you script specific government name/title entries that might look something like this:

Code:
byzantine_monarchy = {
rank_1 = PRINCIPALITY
rank_2 = KINGDOM
rank_3 = EMPIRE

ruler_1 = AUTOKRATOR
ruler_1_female = AUTOKRATEIRA
ruler_2 = DESPOT
ruler_2_female = DESPOTISSA
ruler_3 = BASILEUS
ruler_3_female = BASILISSA

trigger = {
   government = monarchy
   tag = BYZ
}
}

The game goes through the government entries, picks the first one it finds where the trigger evaluates true, and applies those government titles to that nation. This means that if you so desire, you could create a complete unique set of government names for each and every country in the game!

AQP3Ng9.jpg
Very helpful. Quite interesting

Wait, so no more King of Burgundy?

Disappointed... :(

P.S. Ofc not, I'm rejoicing! :D

Reactions:
It might be more accurate to spell Basileus and Basilissa as Vasileus (or Vasilefs) and Vasilissa, as this is how they are pronounced in Greek. Also Despot is more correct as Despotis or Despotas (for male). Of course I might have misunderstood and those were the titles from an example mod and not the actual game, but just in case.

EDIT: As an afterthought, Byzantium was not called Byzantium by the Byzantines. It was called Vasileia Romaion (Kingdom/Empire of the Romans). I'd love to see that changed in the next update. Especially since it wasn't called Byzantium by anyone up until the late 16th and early 17th century (thanks to Hieronymus Wolf and the French neo-classicists)

Last edited: