• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 13th of October 2021

Hello everybody, and welcome! This week we will shift the focus from the upcoming African content, to the new Monuments that we will be introducing for Leviathan DLC owners, and that will come along with the 1.32 patch.

As this has been quite a popular feature of the last DLC, we felt that we could create a few more for the game. And when I say a few, I mean that we’ve almost doubled them, with 52 new monuments being added. So first let’s talk a bit about the creative process and the decisions that we made when choosing which ones we wanted, and then I will be showing some of them (although not all, as that would really be a long post, and we want to surprise you a bit when looking at them for the first time ingame!).

The creative process started a few months ago, just after releasing the new Monuments of 1.31.5 patch. As we pointed out back then, the thing that takes more time about this feature is the Art involved, and because of that you’ve not heard anything about them in a few months. So, we really wanted to choose some beautiful and meaningful buildings to be included.

Apart from that, we also wanted the regional distribution of the Monuments to be a bit fairer, as we felt that some regions were crowded with them, but others were a bit sparse. So here you have a sneak peak of that:

1.32 New Monuments.png

Now we have 18 monuments in America (11 new), 31 in Europe (16 new), 9 in Africa (5 new), 45 in Asia (19 new), and 2 in Oceania (1 new). That’s 52 new monuments in total. We would have preferred to have a few more monuments here and there, but overall we are mostly happy with the result, and we really hope you enjoy them.

So, where did our inspiration to pick the new ones come from? First we incorporated the ones that were voted for in the forum around May; so, Cahokia, Malbork Castle, Brandenburg Gate, Santa Maria del Fiore, Bran Castle, the Rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela, the Great Living Chola Temples, Porcelain Tower of Nanjing and Nan Madoll are in.

Then, we had been gathering suggestions from the community here in the forums, in the Monuments-specific threads. We have to thank you all for the passion you showed, as we had a long-list of around 100 Monuments to pick from, and that was a great inspiration for us. Last, but not least, we checked a lot of different places from the UNESCO World Heritage list.

Now let’s go to the cool part of the DD, and let me show you some of the new Monuments.

[Disclaimer: modifiers are currently being tested by us and our QA, so expect changes on them when 1.32 patch is released.]

First one we want to show you is in the Americas: the Qhapaq Ñam, portraying the famous Incan Road System. Although we brainstormed a bit about how we could do this without being attached to only one province, we thought that it would be a bit difficult to do, and we wanted to be coherent with the other monuments, which are located in only one province. Anyway, we represented this as a buff for an united Andean Empire, and because of that it’s on the most northern tag of the region. If you notice the last modifier, it is a new one affecting Yearly Inti Authority (there's a word lacking there to be fixed, yes!), so we think it’s a nice buff for the main religion in the region:

Qhapac.png

Next one is Santa Maria del Fiore, one widely requested by the community, and one that we obviously think should be included, as being so Stendhal-esque! We took the opportunity to add a nice modifier to it, so here you have this Monthly Splendor modifier that we think fits perfectly with it:

Firenze.png

Now let’s move to Africa. It was obvious for us that some new Monuments had to be added to the region we’re focusing on for the next Immersion Pack, and make them useful with the new content we’ve been designing. So here you’ve got the famous Rock-Hewn Churches at Lalibela, that gives some extra flavour when playing as Ethiopia, as it’s our first Coptic-related Monument. And I’ll give you some extra info, not directly related with today’s DD, but with this area: yes, we will have some new mechanics for Judaism! But those will be revealed in a couple weeks.

Lalibela.png

Let’s go now to Asia. Here we’ve added a bunch of monuments to India, as we felt this subcontinent to be a bit empty of Monuments in comparison to other regions. One of those is Hampi, the renowned capital of Vijayanagar, that grew as a really princely city (until being razed by the Bahmani Empire, of course…). So, here we’ve got a couple of interesting things to show. First is the new ‘All Estates’ Loyalty Equilibrium’, that now will make our lives (and modders’ ones!) easier, as we can add this loyalty equilibrium modifier to all the existing estates in our country. The other thing is that we added a couple new requirements for Buddhist Monuments, so now they can be used also by Hindu countries with a ruler following the Buddha cult, or by Fetishist ones that follow Buddhadharma. [Obviously the Hindu Buddha cult is redundant in this Monument, as it can be used by Dharmic religion groups, but we wanted to show this fix we’ve done in this pic.]

Hampi.png

To end with the Oceania continent, we’ve added here its second monument, the settlement of Nan Madoll. We wanted this to work as a kind of race prize and reward for colonizing the Pacific islands, so because of that the nice modifiers for colonization, coupled with the Yearly Navy Tradition one.

Nan Madoll.png

That’s mostly all for today! Because I want to make a last announcement: Paradox Tinto will be joining the Grandest Lan event with a Dev (Dream) Team! Probably we will be beaten badly by everyone else in the game, but at least it will probably be fun.

Next week we will come back to the new African content, and my colleague @Ogele will be talking about Mutapa and Kilwa new missions, among other things. I’ll be reading your feedback along this week, see you!

• 113Like
  • 36Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
I really like the extra flavor that is possible with these monuments
However i hope monuments dont become an all you can eat buffet One can already stack an incredible amount of boni with the existing monuments. So i hope future ones have very strict limitations on who can use them. Also boni should be interesting but not removing the challange from the game IMO.

PS: a bit sad there isnt one for Aachen
That. While collecting as many monuments and possible feels closely connected to trying to conquer the world and I'm fine with giving players some late game means to conquer everything if that's what they really want to do, I'm a bit worried that handing out global bonuses like candy might make the game a bit too sandboxy if not balanced carefully with some limitations, especially for the more powerful monuments. 52 monuments is kind of a lot, even if you can realistically only use half or so of them in a single campaign.

• 1Like
Reactions:
More buffs, how original. I used to joke about this, but now, I might actually pay for a dlc that adds penalties to the game and getting bigger. After 8 years of adding buffs and now no more map updates, I honestly don't get excited for DLC's anymore. EU5 plz.

• 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hello everybody, and welcome! This week we will shift the focus from the upcoming African content, to the new Monuments that we will be introducing for Leviathan DLC owners, and that will come along with the 1.32 patch.

As this has been quite a popular feature of the last DLC, we felt that we could create a few more for the game. And when I say a few, I mean that we’ve almost doubled them, with 52 new monuments being added. So first let’s talk a bit about the creative process and the decisions that we made when choosing which ones we wanted, and then I will be showing some of them (although not all, as that would really be a long post, and we want to surprise you a bit when looking at them for the first time ingame!).

The creative process started a few months ago, just after releasing the new Monuments of 1.31.5 patch. As we pointed out back then, the thing that takes more time about this feature is the Art involved, and because of that you’ve not heard anything about them in a few months. So, we really wanted to choose some beautiful and meaningful buildings to be included.

Apart from that, we also wanted the regional distribution of the Monuments to be a bit fairer, as we felt that some regions were crowded with them, but others were a bit sparse. So here you have a sneak peak of that:

View attachment 764773

Now we have 18 monuments in America (11 new), 31 in Europe (16 new), 9 in Africa (5 new), 45 in Asia (19 new), and 2 in Oceania (1 new). That’s 52 new monuments in total. We would have preferred to have a few more monuments here and there, but overall we are mostly happy with the result, and we really hope you enjoy them.

So, where did our inspiration to pick the new ones come from? First we incorporated the ones that were voted for in the forum around May; so, Cahokia, Malbork Castle, Brandenburg Gate, Santa Maria del Fiore, Bran Castle, the Rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela, the Great Living Chola Temples, Porcelain Tower of Nanjing and Nan Madoll are in.

Then, we had been gathering suggestions from the community here in the forums, in the Monuments-specific threads. We have to thank you all for the passion you showed, as we had a long-list of around 100 Monuments to pick from, and that was a great inspiration for us. Last, but not least, we checked a lot of different places from the UNESCO World Heritage list.

Now let’s go to the cool part of the DD, and let me show you some of the new Monuments.

[Disclaimer: modifiers are currently being tested by us and our QA, so expect changes on them when 1.32 patch is released.]

First one we want to show you is in the Americas: the Qhapaq Ñam, portraying the famous Incan Road System. Although we brainstormed a bit about how we could do this without being attached to only one province, we thought that it would be a bit difficult to do, and we wanted to be coherent with the other monuments, which are located in only one province. Anyway, we represented this as a buff for an united Andean Empire, and because of that it’s on the most northern tag of the region. If you notice the last modifier, it is a new one affecting Yearly Inti Authority (there's a word lacking there to be fixed, yes!), so we think it’s a nice buff for the main religion in the region:

View attachment 764774

Next one is Santa Maria del Fiore, one widely requested by the community, and one that we obviously think should be included, as being so Stendhal-esque! We took the opportunity to add a nice modifier to it, so here you have this Monthly Splendor modifier that we think fits perfectly with it:

View attachment 764775

Now let’s move to Africa. It was obvious for us that some new Monuments had to be added to the region we’re focusing on for the next Immersion Pack, and make them useful with the new content we’ve been designing. So here you’ve got the famous Rock-Hewn Churches at Lalibela, that gives some extra flavour when playing as Ethiopia, as it’s our first Coptic-related Monument. And I’ll give you some extra info, not directly related with today’s DD, but with this area: yes, we will have some new mechanics for Judaism! But those will be revealed in a couple weeks.

View attachment 764776

Let’s go now to Asia. Here we’ve added a bunch of monuments to India, as we felt this subcontinent to be a bit empty of Monuments in comparison to other regions. One of those is Hampi, the renowned capital of Vijayanagar, that grew as a really princely city (until being razed by the Bahmani Empire, of course…). So, here we’ve got a couple of interesting things to show. First is the new ‘All Estates’ Loyalty Equilibrium’, that now will make our lives (and modders’ ones!) easier, as we can add this loyalty equilibrium modifier to all the existing estates in our country. The other thing is that we added a couple new requirements for Buddhist Monuments, so now they can be used also by Hindu countries with a ruler following the Buddha cult, or by Fetishist ones that follow Buddhadharma. [Obviously the Hindu Buddha cult is redundant in this Monument, as it can be used by Dharmic religion groups, but we wanted to show this fix we’ve done in this pic.]

View attachment 764777

To end with the Oceania continent, we’ve added here its second monument, the settlement of Nan Madoll. We wanted this to work as a kind of race prize and reward for colonizing the Pacific islands, so because of that the nice modifiers for colonization, coupled with the Yearly Navy Tradition one.

View attachment 764778

That’s mostly all for today! Because I want to make a last announcement: Paradox Tinto will be joining the Grandest Lan event with a Dev (Dream) Team! Probably we will be beaten badly by everyone else in the game, but at least it will probably be fun.

Next week we will come back to the new African content, and my colleague @Ogele will be talking about Mutapa and Kilwa new missions, among other things. I’ll be reading your feedback along this week, see you!
hi will the holy walls of harar https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1189/ be in the game , it was crucial for adal in this time period as it helped against the wars vs ethiopia and the oromo

thanks

Reactions:
I hope "Malbork" isn't called Malbork when it's in the hands of the Germans. It's Marienburg.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, it's Prussia's mascott, I guess.

And since Old Fritz is posing near them on one of the loading screens, it's a must have.
I'd rather have Sanssouci.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wouldn't it just make a WC a cake-walk?
No, you still have to conquer the provinces and pay 8500 ducats and wait decades (or use manpower) for the bonuses to come online. It would help for some silly modifier stacking campaigns, and would slightly speed up the tail end of a WC, but it wouldn't be a massive buff.

Newer players tend to vastly overestimate how good wonders are. I think they see some green global bonus numbers and immediately think "overpowered!", but 8500 ducats is a lot of money if you're trying to play optimally. For instance, -20% advisor cost is definitely NOT worth 8500 ducats from what I can tell with my back-of-the-envelope math, so unless you want prestige decay or splendor (two modifiers that are also pretty meh), then that Santa Maria monument isn't worthwhile.

Reactions:
No, you still have to conquer the provinces and pay 8500 ducats and wait decades (or use manpower) for the bonuses to come online. It would help for some silly modifier stacking campaigns, and would slightly speed up the tail end of a WC, but it wouldn't be a massive buff.

Newer players tend to vastly overestimate how good wonders are. I think they see some green global bonus numbers and immediately think "overpowered!", but 8500 ducats is a lot of money if you're trying to play optimally. For instance, -20% advisor cost is definitely NOT worth 8500 ducats from what I can tell with my back-of-the-envelope math, so unless you want prestige decay or splendor (two modifiers that are also pretty meh), then that Santa Maria monument isn't worthwhile.
You got a point, but if harmonizing religion will make some monuments available, your tentacles will reach far and wide.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you're taking a look at stats of the reworked estates, would you mind fixing things so that the Mughals can viably complete their estate-related missions in regards to the hindu-based ones that barely get any privileges in an Islam-locked tag? I believe I've raised this in a previous post and I think a general pass over any estate related missions (and maybe even some events too) in light of the relatively recent change would go along way for the QoL when playing in certain areas.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The area around the Black Sea seems a bit empty. Have you heard about Mangup in Crimean Peninsula? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangup The fortress town of Theodoro-Mangup in the 15th century was home to the Crimean Goths and the last remnant of the Byzantine Empire to resist against the Ottomans until being conquered in 1475.
94_big.jpg
Oh and I hoped to see Spis Castle which was the political, administrative, economic and cultural center of Szepes County of the Kingdom of Hungary. Well maybe next time or never, who knows. The ruins of the castle are now one of the most famous Slovak tourist attraction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spis_Castle
621810-budget_direct-hed.jpg
Solovetsky Monastery (founded in 1436) is a fortified monastery located on the Solovetsky Islands in the White Sea in northern Russia. It was one of the largest Christian citadels in northern Russia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solovetsky_Monastery
Solovetsky_Monastery_drone_1.jpg
I don't particularly say that they have to be in game, just think they're interesting/nice and maybe less known in general.

Q: Is monument in Prague (owned by Bohemia tag in game) related with Hussite faith?

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
I love it but i miss a peace option to steal a monument from the defeated (if it is a moveable monument). Its annoying to always conquer the provinz and all of it just to get the bonus of the Monument. A historical example is the quadriga or like the hole museum thing.

I think monuments should be in 3 categorys, culturell, religios and functual. functual monuments could be used by any country and gives the normal bonus. Religios and culurell should only give the bonus to the accepted culture or country of religion and for every one else just a bonus missionary strengh against the monument religion and a prestige bonus for culture ones.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please update all monuments that have anything to do with Christianity & Islam to be usable and beneficial to both religions and all denominations of both religions. The new monument for the Coptics should be usable by both religions and all denominations; do not limit the player that wants to play a Protenstant Ethiopia for whatever reason by forcing them to abandon a big potential investment that is a monument found within their country's starting borders and achieves a new highest ceiling in the modifiers and power behind them a certain playstyle can achieve.

Ottomans should get milage out of capturing the new monument in Ethiopia. Protestants, Orthodox, Coptics and Reformed not benefitting from capturing Saint Peter's Basilica is simply not logical, nor is it for Islamic conquerors to not benefit from it if someone plays as Tunis for example and captures Rome. Christians capturing Mecca is not something of low importance either, nor would Christianity not benefit from it, as with Islam capturing Rome.

Not only would something like this simply make sense, but would also allow for different goals in playthroughs. By prohibiting things in the game to work for no one but one, you're just limiting player agency, not improving it, and there's never nothing wrong in doing that; on the contrary it's remarkably correct to do so. In short:

(1) Give monuments flat modifiers that benefit anyone and everyone that owns them by
(2) Doing away with requirements that require a drastic change to the player's game or bar them from using other monuments that require other specifics exactly because the whole system of specific requirements is in place. You can have exceptions like the Zoroastrian monument, but these are BIG & SPECIFIC exceptions for very specific reasons like derailing a multiplayer campaign or providing an unfair advantange.
(3) If you want to reinforce something -take Saint Peter's Basilica- give it extra modifiers that benefit, in this example, Roman Catholicism specifically or -take Mecca- Islam.

I generally very rarely play outside of Europe (with the big exception being Japan) and that's why my focus is in Islam & Christianity, as every time I play I bump on the same issues that make me sad. Similar monument problems are present -I am sure- in every region of the world.

Lastly, and I want to emphasise this strongly, give specific monuments that are still very underwhelming for no specific reason, the radiance they deserve.

Reactions: