• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 13th of August 2019

Good day all, Tuesday is here once again as it often is, so let's dive into another Dev Diary for the upcoming European Update. Last week we were all about how you can project your power externally, so this week let's look more internally, with focus on Estates.

Back in April we had a dev diary which was largely an expunge of thoughts on the Estates feature, where it's been and we still want to take it. Let's get a recap on our thoughts from then:

Firstly, the busywork element of Estates should be removed, or at the very least reduced. our Grand Strategy games are about creating , without sounding too pretentious, intellectually stimulating experiences, and the current methods of interacting with your Estates are not up to par with this.

Additionally, the actions done through the estates should be more impactful. I've said it quite a few times before, but I'll say it again, when a Diet is called, perhaps there should be...a Diet? Impactful is an easy word to throw around with various different meanings being drawn from it, but in Estates' cases, the existing interactions often make little change worth noting outside of their influence and loyalty, which has limited meaningful effect on your nation until hitting crisis point where they can seize control of your nation through disaster.

On another note, making the Estate UI more accessible would be a boon. Currently, much of the hands-on actions are somewhat buried as menus within menu

Over the past few months we've been pondering how we can make such aspirations a reality, and today we'll share where we are with that.

As mentioned last week, and will continue to be mentioned, any numbers seen and especially interfaces seen, are not in their final form

13th DD no Estates.jpg

As teased earlier, one of the first things we did with Estates is completely remove their relationship with individual provinces. This interaction with estates was always micro intensive, deeply confusing for new players, caused a lot of issues with 1444 setup for many nations (Nobles eating all my gold provinces) and scaled fairly terribly into the late game. It was not without its charms: assigning individual estates to individual provinces could have a nice internal management feel, but it was not an action that lent itself well to the expansion loop of the game. It was hard to feel excited about the estate allocation to your newest 20 provinces, while a tall player would have little interaction to be done throughout the entire game.

The death of direct province ties gives birth to a new concept in EUIV, that of Crown Land. Every nation with Estates has their Crown Land to manage. Much like how previously Estates started with a share of provinces, now they own a certain percentage of Crown Land. There is 100% of Crown Land which is divided between the various Estates, and the nation's own full control.

13th DD French Crown Land.jpg

Pie-chart, coder art flavour. The French have yet to reign in their nobles

Estates' portion of Crown Land will heavily affect their influence, as well as many of the interactions you have with them. Conversely, your nation's control over Crown Land is of grave importance: If you want to be a strong, absolutist state heaving into the Age of Absolutism, you'll want to wrestle control away from your estates, and giving up all of your crown land will have negative effects of your control over the nation.

You have many avenues of influence over Crown Land. Firstly, there are three direct interactions available in the Estate Screen.

• Sale of Titles
    • Sell 5% Crown Land to the Estates based on Influence for 1 Year of Income
    • +5% All Estate Loyalty
  • Seize Land
    • Gain 3% Crown Lands, estates loses based on their influence
    • -10% All Estate Loyalty
    • Give +5 Unrest to random provinces up until you equivalent development the estates hold.
    • Spawn rebels fitting for the most influential estate type.
  • Summon the Diet
    • [REDACTED]
    • [REDACTED]
    • [REDACTED]
Additionally, developing your lands directly will increase your direct share of Crown Land, while acquiring new provinces will boost your Estates' share, based on their current influence. Highly influential estates will see it as their right to enjoy the lion's share of new lands.

Another big change happening here are with the interactions one has with the estates. I'll refer to an excellent post from the aforementioned dev diary.

So here are my thoughts on Estates: atm they are unnecessary button clicks that u can do every 20 tears to get free monarch points, also as some governments (like hordes) the best play is to just remove them entirely. I think they should be a lot more impactful, once your nation get's bigger, since they were what helped kings keep big empires together in Europe.

We don't want Estates to be the monarch point and advisor generating buttons that you hammer every couple decades, but in reality, it's how a lot of people use it. Heck, it's how I use it, so what's to be done here?

We actually turned this into a guiding principal of designing the Estate screen and their interactions. We were not to have any interactions which the user would return there on a regular pulse to repeat. As such, all old Estate interactions have been removed, and we have instead introduced a system of Estate Privileges

13th DD Noble Priv.jpg

13th DD Burghers Priv.jpg

Once again, all numbers and Interfaces are far from complete. You won't be seeing a screen full of ??? on release (well, I certainly hope not)

Rather than actions with cooldowns that you demand or bestow your Estates as before, these Privileges are meaty interactions that you can choose to take with your estates. They will impact on their Influence/Loyalty/Crown Land Share and come with a variety of effects, often wide reaching, long lasting and more often than not, impacting on your maximum absolutism. When the age of Absolutism comes around, you may well consider revoking these Privileges to gain absolute control over the state (Although if your ambitions are Revolutionary, you may have other plans...)

Each Estate type have their own Privileges and many of the old functions of estates are accounted for. The nobility, for example, can give you added military power per month if you're willing to guarantee them precious crown land, while the Rajputs will enable the direct recruitment of Rajput Regiments, in exchange for permanently increased influence. While such Privileges can be revoked, much like seizing the crown land away from them, you will invoke their ire, and should be done when you have either sufficiently appeased the estates through other means, or are ready to deal with their rebellions.

We'll certainly be back to talk more about these Estate changes as development on the upcoming European Update continues. As ever, questions and comments are welcome in this thread, and next week we'll go on to talk about another sizeable change of a more Ecumenical variety.

eu4_anniversary_livestream.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I like these proposed changes to the Estates system. I have a few suggestions, if I may:

- Let Crown Lands percentage be dependent on autonomy and % accepted culture (and perhaps religious unity).

- Maybe include Religous Minorities (scaling with Religious Unity), so that there could be issues with protestant or muslims provinces in a Catholic realm that has high autonomy or low religious unity (i.e. without humanism).

- Include non-accepted cultures as an estate that can give severe problems, if they control a large amount of development relative to total development.

- I also agree with the ideas presented above by many people, that bonuses should be on-going rather than one time events with a timer. Good or bad random events could happen more or less frequently depending on respective estate influences.

- Disasters in their current implementation are too easy to avoid. I have never experienced one after they became deterministic (growing percent per month), rather than randomly firing with a certain percent. I don't know what the best solution is, but I would rather less severe and more likely to occur disasters, rather than very severe and easily avoidable ones.

• Give +5 Unrest to random provinces up until you equivalent development the estates hold.
What's this supposed to mean? "Until you equivalent development the estates hold" is it supposed to be "until you equal the development the estates hold". i.e. to say until you own 50% or more of the crown lands?

With absolutism you could conquer more land to get more money and just buy level 5 advisors
And if you already have +5s? I think this kind of thing is gonna be really helpful for getting a new peak ADM monthly gain - what is it now? 15ish right? +1 on that is a huge increase. Also worth noting that if it gives you (for example) -20 max absolutism that's only -8% admin efficiancy. Assuming you go from 100 to 80 cap. Also not that you can have -20 max and still have 100.

Edit - again assuming there is something like this for Admin as well as MIL - which I don't know!

This is actually a neat example in itself. @CountCristo, could you reference that mention?
You almost gave me a heart attack thinking I leaked that when you asked this :p it's in the DD "The nobility, for example, can give you added military power per month if you're willing to guarantee them precious crown land" I can only assume it's +1 - but I guess it might be even more.

You almost gave me a heart attack thinking I leaked that when you asked this :p it's in the DD "The nobility, for example, can give you added military power per month if you're willing to guarantee them precious crown land" I can only assume it's +1 - but I guess it might be even more.
Sorry about that, ;) Thanks for the answer, I must've read too fast the first time.

What's this supposed to mean? "Until you equivalent development the estates hold" is it supposed to be "until you equal the development the estates hold". i.e. to say until you own 50% or more of the crown lands?

See the earlier dev reply.

If you have 0% crown land ownership i.e. the estates own 100% of the land, every province you own will gain 5% unrest from you seizing land. If you own 95% of the land, the game will give random provinces 5% unrest until at least 5% of your total development has been given total unrest (i.e. if you have 20 provinces, each with 5 development, it will give it to exactly one province).

In colonial territories its even more problematic. The british conquering India or parts of it will have to deal with the local estates as well. they wont become nobles and burghers but remain the indian version. This too could/should be represented.

No idea if this would be doable but that would be really fun - having new estates introduced to your nation as you conquer far flung lands - new challenges and bonuses becoming available.

With the implenentation of privileges and removal of interactions, I hope some of those interactions will be in the Diet. For instance, at the start of the game theyd own much of the land, and so youd have to rely on then to ask them for armies. How cool would it be that you integrate the mercs mecanich with that, and you can ask nobles to raise you an army like in MEIOU, using the new mercs mechanic. Theyd give you an army with a general with a -75% cost maintenance for the duration of the war.

The burghers you could ask for war support in the way of taxes, or just cash, and so on. The clergy, relief from war, so it decreases war exhaustion and such. The Diet mechanic could have loads of potential. So i really hope they do it it something along these lines and not just some buttons

How will this system be connected to other mechanics?
For example it would make sense for government reforms to be tied to how much influence the estates have and how loyal they are instead of them still depending only on autonomy.

No idea if this would be doable but that would be really fun - having new estates introduced to your nation as you conquer far flung lands - new challenges and bonuses becoming available.
Thing is, Crown Lands are an abstract concept on a national level, whilst local estates are exactly that, local. For instance, the British nobility estate has influence in England, and most definitely influence on matters of the British Isles themselves. On the flip-side, Indian nobility estate would/could/might only have influence on matters in newly conquered India, which might be difficult to properly represent using Crown Lands. Loyal Indian noble might suddenly result in increase manpower in provinces in the Britisch Isles.

Unless, of course, the effects are localized to the relevant provinces, instead of nationally, but that sounds like making the estates unnecessarily complex again.

Pie charts for religion and culture next? This would make for good tall games where players try to expand their culture and religion in a realistic way over time instead of clicking and having it done within a few months or years.

Those charts already exist under economy tabs for pie charts.

This is something that is good and needed.

But the reforms system, the estates system and the parliament system should probably be merged into one major government system, currently they are pretty much all used to represent the same thing in confusing and not very effective ways.

Estate rework looks nice because its always annoying when you forget to get monarch points the second you can get it again.
Request for that Monopoly on Textiles to reduce trade effiency or make you more weak to embargoes? The Elizabthean event for keeping the Royal monopolies gives corruption if you keep it IIRC.

How is data on Crown land stored? As just wondering if its complete reassignment or carry over when you integrate a vassal or PU. Also any pointers for when we'll get a Dev diary on subject redesign and France?

A bit OT but I always wanted autonomy to have some kind of nasty endpoint: Like if you ever let autonomy get to 100% the province just declares independence (or joins a neighbour). You just let it slip out of your hands.

And if you already have +5s? I think this kind of thing is gonna be really helpful for getting a new peak ADM monthly gain - what is it now? 15ish right? +1 on that is a huge increase. Also worth noting that if it gives you (for example) -20 max absolutism that's only -8% admin efficiancy. Assuming you go from 100 to 80 cap. Also not that you can have -20 max and still have 100.
I still think that the 8% admin efficiency are considerably stronger. At tech 23 and without any additional bonuses, it takes you from a 52% reduction to a 60% reduction, so if you previously paid 100 Adm for a given amount of land, that additional reduction brings the cost down to 83.3 points (if my math is right - 100/.48*.4), same with WS, OE and AE. It's not like +1 Adm per month is a bad bonus by any means, but additively stacking reductions are just so good and they only become better the more you stack them.

But of course, there's no way to predict what other sources and drains to max Absolutism will be introduced. As you said, if this'll take you from 125 to 105 max absolutism, this would be an amazing bonus with no real cost associated with it.