• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #90 - Splendid Scandinavia

As most of the team enjoys the summer, I thought I’d try to write a couple of smaller rogue Dev Diaries to get us through the summer. I will mostly discuss smaller additions, rather than the big sweeping features in these Diaries.

For the first one, it seems the vikings have pillaged a cartographer and found some more defined maps of their own homes, of all things.

We will start with the most important of the viking Kingdoms, Norway. What is that? What do you mean Norway stopped being a Kingdom in the late Middle Ages? Sounds like Swedish and Danish propaganda to me, they are just jealous of our mountainous glory.

Clipboard01.png

The previous map of Norway always had certain issues with the western coast being quite the slog to move through, and the Kingdom feeling split by the mountain range. With a bit more definition to it, as well as a way to move between the two parts, we have found the region to be a lot more interesting of a place to hang out. In mainland Norway, 6 New Provinces and 2 New Duchies have been added.

Clipboard02.png

Far to the north-west, Iceland has been updated a little bit as well. We have increased the province count from 2 to 4, though knowing that Iceland was far from the most populated of places, we have made sure that they haven’t gotten too strong.

Clipboard03.png

In Sweden, we have increased the definition of southern Sweden somewhat, breaking up some of the provinces to try to show the relevance of the Geatish areas. This should hopefully help somewhat in rivaling the powerhouse of Uppland. 6 New Provinces and 1 New Duchy have been added in Sweden.

Clipboard04.png

And finally, in Denmark we have new pathway across the islands and added Lolland as its own island. Both Jylland and Holstein has been split up and reorganised somewhat, to increase the definition of these areas and show their relevance in the era. In all, there has been 5 New Provinces added and 2 New Duchies.

We hope these changes to Scandinavia will be an interesting addition to all of the updates made to Pagans in Holy Fury, and make certain parts of the region a better experience. Next week, we will take a look down south, towards the changes around the Alps.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I might be a little late here, but just in case any dev is still reading... I made a thread more than a year ago about transfering Värmland to the duchy of Västergötland, since that is far more historically accurate than Närke, which really feels like an afterthought ("where should we put närke?" "Oh i dont know just put it with... västergötland. no one gives a crap")
Värmland was part of the bishopric of Skara and had the same coinage as Västergötland, and having a duchy centered around Vänern makes more sense than having Vänern be a border between two.