• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Last week I talked about some of the free features we're putting into the upcoming patch 2.1 (i.e. the free parts of the Rajas of India expansion.) This time, I thought I'd round that off, and next week we will finish this cycle of dev diaries with a Q&A thread!

Why not start off by talking about the promised revised decadence system that people have been clamoring for since, well, the release of Sword of Islam? Admittedly, there were many issues with Decadence; for example, the fact that all unlanded men of your dynasty generated decadence regardless of their virtue, which is strange and unrealistic. Gameplay where you automatically tend to imprison your relatives if you cannot give them land is also repetitive and, again, not very realistic. So the system needed revision, and now was the time to do it. With the new system, only characters with the new Decadent trait actually give decadence to your dynasty. Landed characters are less likely to pick up the trait, as are Zealous, Diligent and Just characters, etc. The net effect is that decadent characters are rarer but have a greater effect than before. To make it more interesting, we've removed the free imprisoning of dynasty members for Muslims. Instead, you get a chance to convince Decadent characters to straighten up. The outcome depends on your own attributes and those of the target character. If you're diplomatic, for example, he might be easier to convince. If you're learned, you might get him to go on the Hajj, which will automatically remove the Decadent trait, and so on. If you fail, you do get a reason (i.e. no opinion penalty with vassals) to imprison the character, as a last resort.

ck2_RoI_dd_06_Revised_Decadence.png

Another issue with the decadence system was that it did not really serve to encourage you to land your relatives; you just imprisoned them instead. Thus, in the event where a close relative asks you for a title, there is now a risk that he might start an adventure against you if you refuse, and this is likelier in Muslim realms. Lastly, we've increased the fracturing effects of losing a decadence revolt a bit more.

Ok, so that's the new Decadence system, which is fairly unrelated to the general theme of the expansion (although it should now be more interesting to play as a Muslim, with India to your east...) A change that was absolutely necessary with the bigger map, however, was a form of diplomatic range. We did not want Irish counts marrying Indian princesses, etc. Thus, we added a distance threshold for most diplomatic interactions, as well as for councillor jobs. It's a simple enough change, and the range also happens to be precisely right to stop Norse pagans from marrying West Africans (a pet peeve of many people, since the religions are both in the pagan group.)

ck2_RoI_dd_06_Diplo_Range.png

What else have I got for you? Oh yes, the Steam integration stuff. We've added support for Steam Workshop and multi-player matchmaking, just like we have in Europa Universalis IV. (I predict the big mods will have some issues to sort out, however, since there seems to be a file size limit in Steam Workshop.) In a similar vein, we've also added Borderless Windowed mode. For those who don't know what that is, it's basically that the game is actually running in windowed mode, but it appears as fullscreen, so you don't have to tab out of the game; other windows can be open in front of it.

ck2_RoI_dd_06_Steam_MP.png

Since the save game converter to EU4 is a long-time commitment, we are of course going to support converting your very own India to EU4 as well. Jainism is thus a new religion in EU4, etc.

ck2_RoI_dd_06_867_EU4_Jain.png

That's about it! There are tons and tons of other improvements, of course, but you can ask about them when we post the full change log for the Q&A thread next week.

ck2_RoI_dd_06_867_EU4.png

So, back to other discussions? Does anyone agree with the idea that we should have a Manichean count as Tengri vassal in the areas bordering Tarim Basin? (due to influence of Yughur Khanate/Empire)

So, back to other discussions? Does anyone agree with the idea that we should have a Manichean count as Tengri vassal in the areas bordering Tarim Basin? (due to influence of Yughur Khanate/Empire)

I think that might be an acceptable compromise, though ideally he should be of Uighur culture (which to suppose the devs aren't adding).

If i am not mistaken that would make the Altaic culture list short of only Tatar and Khitan before the Crusader Songs :D

Assuming Khitans appear on the map around 1124 start (I very much doubt there will be Khitan "light invasion" of few thousand men scripted in ongoing game), where do you think they will be? My guess is that they will have kingdom of Turkestan title and occupy Zhetusy and most of Syr Darya and perhaps a county from de-jure Samarkand. Ruler will be Buddhist and probably has one or two vassals of Nestorian/Islamic faith. Religion of counties will initially be mixture of Islam and Tengri, with perhaps capital county being Buddhist.

Would Khitan (Altaic) culture have horse archer retinue or something else?

Of course, Khitans probably have to wait for inclusion of Tarim Basin as chunk of their lands would still be out of map.

Last edited:
These are awesome changes. When is the release date?

Assuming Khitans appear on the map around 1124 start (I very much doubt there will be Khitan "light invasion" of few thousand men scripted in ongoing game), where do you think they will be? My guess is that they will have kingdom of Turkestan title and occupy Zhetusy and most of Syr Darya and perhaps a county from de-jure Samarkand. Ruler will be Buddhist and probably has one or two vassals of Nestorian/Islamic faith. Religion of counties will initially be mixture of Islam and Tengri, with perhaps capital county being Buddhist.

Would Khitan (Altaic) culture have horse archer retinue or something else?

Of course, Khitans probably have to wait for inclusion of Tarim Basin as chunk of their lands would still be out of map.

I would make a own Chinese group for the Khitans, because they were more sinicised. And yes I think Horse Archers are fitting.

I would make a own Chinese group for the Khitans, because they were more sinicised. And yes I think Horse Archers are fitting.

Works for me. Putting it to Altaic might just be more appropriate to consider the make-up of their realm but I can understand urge to get proper Chinese to CK2.

Anyway, would be awesome if PDI could clarify what they meant with "You've moved Zoroastrians around" quote and then clicking the two counts within Saffarid realm.

I always welcome more non-standard religion content. So yes, I'm all for a Manichean count over there.

First of all, thanks for this great game. I'm really looking forward to this patch and expansion.

I have a suggestion that I would like to see added in both CKII and EUIV though (and HOIIV).
In multiplayer all players should be able so set the game speed individually as an option.
The game should then run by the slowest speed set by any player at the moment.
That would be very useful when playing with a bunch of friends so you don't have to ask each other about rising or decreasing the game speed.
There could also be an option for setting the slowest game speed allowed.

Med vänliga hälsningar från Västergötland.

First of all, thanks for this great game. I'm really looking forward to this patch and expansion.

I have a suggestion that I would like to see added in both CKII and EUIV though (and HOIIV).
In multiplayer all players should be able so set the game speed individually as an option.
The game should then run by the slowest speed set by any player at the moment.
That would be very useful when playing with a bunch of friends so you don't have to ask each other about rising or decreasing the game speed.
There could also be an option for setting the slowest game speed allowed.

Med vänliga hälsningar från Västergötland.

good idea!

I hope this includes also making Mongol portrait packs part of Vanilla CK2. With the map going east, the steppe area would be too vast to just have all arab (or any new indian) faces.

Charging anything for the Mongol faces and Ruler designer was a bit questionable, but the game is so awesome that I can forgive those decisions. And they have made up for it with all of the great content added for free by way of patches.

Charging anything for the Mongol faces and Ruler designer was a bit questionable, but the game is so awesome that I can forgive those decisions. And they have made up for it with all of the great content added for free by way of patches.

I agree, they've been very good with updates. I just think that, with the map expansion, Mongol faces should be more "core" now, considering how many provinces would have them. I've already bought the mongol face pack but it would be nice to know that newer players are seeing appropriate faces in that area.

For anyone reading this thread and saw the multiplayer mention...no its not any different than before and their use of "matchmaking" is borderline advertising fraud. Its identical to the metaserver only you can't see whose in the channel, and all the games in the world are shown regardless of whether they have started yet or not and do not poof once they have started they all report as "starting". There is no conventional "matchmaking" at all it is just server browser and a chatroom.