• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Time again for my monthly (well, roughly) pastime of developer diary writing! Last month, I might have mentioned plots and intrigue, but I think I'll hold off on that a bit more... Instead, let's talk about units and the combat system.

Like in the first Crusader Kings, military units are of variable size and composition. Each can contain any number of each of the seven troop types (light and heavy infantry, pike men, light cavalry, knights, archers and horse archers.) Most units are raised from a corresponding settlement (castle, church or city), their size and composition dependent on the improvements constructed there. Others belong to a mercenary group or holy order, etc. Units are discrete and cannot be merged or split into smaller parts, though of course they can be grouped together in armies. The basic system should be familiar to anyone who has played the original Crusader Kings.

Crusader Kings II Alpha - Harold vs Harald.jpg

Combat, however, is different from our other games. As soon as they are grouped together in a larger army, units are are assigned to one of three positions; left flank, center, or right flank. This is done automatically, but can be altered manually by players so inclined. On the battlefield, each position fights separately - normally against the corresponding part of the enemy army. Combat between positions is divided into three phases; skirmish, melee and pursue/flee. My left flank can be skirmishing against the enemy's right flank while my center is locked in melee, etc. The seven unit types have different strengths and weaknesses, so that for example archers excel at skirmish and knights at melee. The leader of each flank (a character), will pick combat tactics, which determines if his position should strive to close for melee, or avoid melee, etc. When an enemy position breaks, it will flee, and the pursue phase ensues. The longer the phase lasts, the more losses that contingent will sustain, but on the other hand, the pursuing force will not be assisting against the remaining enemy positions - also a tactical decision by the flank commander. Combat tactics are similar to the combat events of Rome, but more developed. (Btw, combat tactics are fully moddable.)

Crusader Kings II Alpha - Siege of York.jpg

Apart from combat tactics, there are also more traditional combat events, for example when commanders get wounded, killed or imprisoned, or when they improve on their martial skills. Sieges work in a similar fashion, but emphasizing morale loss, and with a different set of combat tactics. A commander with a high Intrigue skill might even manage to bribe some defenders into opening the gates. What about fleets? Unlike CK, ships do exist in Crusader Kings II, similar to the galleys in Rome. They are raised like normal troop levies in coastal provinces, but can only be used to transport troops - not to fight or block straits (large scale naval battles in the period were rare to say the least.)

Crusader Kings II Alpha - Battle of York.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that if an army is victorious, all commanders will bask in the glory and gain prestige. Conversely, the shame of defeat results in prestige loss. So, choosing to lead the army yourself can be profitable in terms of prestige, but of course, war is a dangerous business...

Enjoy the screenies and stay tuned for the next dev diary - sometime in August. :)

Henrik Fåhraeus, Associate Producer and CKII Project Lead

As an addendum to the ship issue, is it possible for armies to cross a sea without owning port/coastal provinces? Or will the Emperor of Germany have to ship his troops via the North German ports to Jerusalem if he loses control over his Italian provinces?

As the ships seem to be actual units, he would probably have to move the north german ships to Italy first. then he could load them with troops there.

I've enjoyed this Dev Diary like no one till now. Not because combat is the core of CK series (which isn't by the way) but because of this indeed. Instead of cloning generic EUIII system (moreless what it was done with Vicky2) it's given a new one, a very promising one in fact. The thing I'm liking the most is the link between character traits and his combat performance, as well as the importance given to army composition.

Congrats for you all in Paradox.

Does that battle screen show the "battle of York" as a mountain province? Odd

Love the combat system, simply brilliant!

On ships... when you say they weren't significant in any capacity other than moving armies... um... surely the fact that the Turks couldn't cross the Bosphorus for several hundred years had massive significance?
Maybe make a special mechanic for straights where you can only walk across them if you control both sides? Otherwise you need to transport your army with ships?
Whilst I generally agree with the developers sentiment in not including naval warfare I really hope we don't see massive armies simply walk into Venice, Sjaeland or across the Bosphoros with ease.

Will there be teleporting generals again? I always found it odd and lame how I could have my 20 marshal King warring on the levent and then the next day he could be campaigning in Ireland with a new host.

@Dagda: There is now a location for each character so not this time. No space elevators transporting Frederick Barbarossa from Milan to Jerusalem in five seconds flat. :p Also, will it still be possible to disband your levy and get an entirely fresh army the next day?

@Keinwyn: I agree on straits. Fleets won't be able to occupy straits, but what about fortifying straits and both sides of chokepoints (e.g., straits of Dover, Straits of Gibraltar) to deny the enemy the ability to cross? This is a feature of Sengoku, AFAIK.

Will there be teleporting generals again? I always found it odd and lame how I could have my 20 marshal King warring on the levent and then the next day he could be campaigning in Ireland with a new host.
and also teleporting units. Disband an army currently in the Levant and then BAM! back in their home provinces.

and also teleporting units. Disband an army currently in the Levant and then BAM! back in their home provinces.

In that case you aren't really teleporting. While your army was away it's regiment was replenishing at home, You just couldn't see them because the provincial regiment was mobilized and provincial regiments can't be raised twice.

When you disbanded it outside of friendly territory the men in the Levant disappear into thin air, but the guys back home in Ireland can now be raised.

Nick

This might have been answered in another Dev Diary, but where is the Outliner?!

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think CK1 had one, either... might not be as necessary in this game as it is in EU3, Vicky2, etc.

This looks really awesome! I like the enhanced combat system you are going with. Though I have 3 things I'd like to say.

1. Are you able to merge more than 3 units together? If you do, what are the other units doing? Will they do nothing? Rush in when someone flees?

2. Let's say you have one stack of 4 units, and another stack of 3 units, and they are both in the same province. What happens? Does only one fight while the other sits there? If you lose with your first army will the other just jump on the enemy immediately?

3. And somewhat related to this, I like how there is the center and the 2 flanks in battle. Why not add a reserve to it? A unit in the back that jumps in when needed.

Last edited:
In that case you aren't really teleporting. While your army was away it's regiment was replenishing at home, You just couldn't see them because the provincial regiment was mobilized and provincial regiments can't be raised twice.

When you disbanded it outside of friendly territory the men in the Levant disappear into thin air, but the guys back home in Ireland can now be raised.

Nick

This .... That is how it worked in CK1

This looks really awesome! I like the enhanced combat system you are going with. Though I have 3 things I'd like to say.

1. Are you able to merge more than 3 units together? If you do, what are the other units doing? Will they do nothing? Rush in when someone flees?

2. Let's say you have one stack of 4 units, and another stack of 3 units, and they are both in the same province. What happens? Does only one fight while the other sits there? If you lose with your first army will the other just jump on the enemy immediately?

3. And somewhat related to this, I like how there is the center and the 2 flanks in battle. Why not add a reserve to it? A unit in the back that jumps in when needed.

1. As mentioned in the OP, you can select which commander is who is leader of the respective "flank". So that would suggest that having more than 3 units in one army is possible. As you could select your 14 Marshal courtier over a 4 Marshal Duke as head of the left flank. Now what the duke's unit will be doing I am not so sure.

Several different reasons to create more strategic options.

1) Limit on when you can move across seas, as ships have to be at places to transport.

2) Limit on how many troops you can ship, as you don't build standing fleets in ck2.

Well, you could do this even better when linking the fleets to a province.

1. Army goes to province and starts to ship. Let's say, in a normal harbour province, there are 5 Galley, carrying 500 P each, so that a maximum of 2500 P can cross the sea. The others have to wait until the galley return.

2. You can have provinces with more & better galleys, coastal provinces who will no carry troups at all, special galley hoarders like Venice and so on. And you can improve a province's ability to transport troups.

3. You can even link the "reach" of a galley to the province, so that you can't strait sail from Iceland to Jerusalem (and back).

I really would prefer this system, instead of loading troups into useless galleys.

Last edited:
I presume ships building would be more easier to manage than internal parameter for each province, and less sensible to weird effect or bugs. I could understand this choice if it's the point. Perhaps it would be more easier to manage for players as he could see on screen his transport capacity while he sees his ships, instead of check each province ?
For the range for ships could it be limit with attrition factor, more important when embark ?