• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #36: The Witching Hour

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a good time during the Holidays. I know I did, but now it’s time to don the crown, strap on the sword and get back to work on Crusader Kings II (and my other game, of course...) Now, what better way to start off the new year than with a bit of harmless witchery? In the terribly long eras before the great thinkers of the Age of Reason would have us replace magic with science, the “occult” was of course seen as a normal part of life, and society lived in fear of curses and evil spells. But… just because you’re superstitious does not mean the witches aren’t out to get you! Just like today, the desperate and the unscrupulous would seek power by any means necessary, including the worship of demons and evil spirits...

society_1.png

This brings us to my favorite Society in the upcoming expansion Monks and Mystics; the Demon Worshippers. These brothers and sisters of the left-hand path come in several varieties: Abrahamics get “Lucifer’s Own”, Tengri pagans get the “Plaguebringers”, the Indian faiths are afflicted with a particularly nasty type of Kali worship, Baltic, Slavic and Finnic pagans get “The Cold Ones” (evil shamans) and Germanic Pagans have those who curry the favor of Hel and of powerful jotuns. Regardless of religious context, they are all united in their self-serving, utterly ruthless quest for power in the world of the living, and care little for their fate in the afterlife. As they advance through the ranks, Demon Worshippers get powers like “Dark Divorce”, “Summon Familiar” and “Tainted Touch” (a health curse.) Through their network of agents, they can also attempt to abduct relatively low ranking characters. Now, a lot of the content for the Demon Worshippers is hard to explain in terms of placebo effects and natural phenomena, so if you don’t care for the supernatural I suggest simply not joining those Societies (because rooting out their covens and persecuting them through your Court Chaplain is reasonably historical and adds flavor to the game.) However, if you really don’t want them around, you can turn them off through a Game Rule.

society_1_power.png

Next up are the infamous Assassins, a Shiite Muslim Society that - unsurprisingly - specializes in murder. The elusive Assassins consider themselves the true followers of Allah, and will do anything to further the advances of Shia Islam and protect their fellow believers. Consisting of loyal warriors as well as competent spies, wielding manipulation and social skills as expertly as a dagger, they specialize in asymmetrical warfare, striking hard at the heart of their enemies. Their special powers include intimidation and murder. For example, they can get a Favor with someone (if you have the Conclave expansion) by leaving a dagger on their pillow. At higher ranks, they can also mark someone for death, so that lower ranked members will get that murder as a mission. Since this Society is also a political entity and a Holy Order of sorts, the Grandmaster gets the power to raise special troops.

society_2.png

There is more to say about these Societies; their other powers, missions and semi-random events, but I don’t want to spoil it all. Oh, and if you have the Way of Life expansion, you can use “Spy On” to find out if a character is a member of a secret Society like the above...

There won’t be a CK2 stream today, but stay tuned for something next week (and a new dev diary, of course)!

Reactions:
What are the chances this is up on there youtube page ?. Must see what this stream was about as this is very intresting
Yes, it is on YouTube. Check the first page of the dev diary #35. They added it to the OP.

Last edited:
Monks and Mystics looks really promising, I just hope that all religions can be secretly followed (this would open up some intriguing role playing possibilities) and the ability to do so isn’t tied to societies.

At first I was little dissapointed when I heard that defensive pagans were lumped together but I think that it might actually be a good thing that Baltic, Slavic and Finnic pagans have same secret society. Pagans (especially Romuva) have quite small circles and it usually doesn’t even take a century before player has assimilated most of his religious brethren. Things will be more interesting this way.

Reactions:
If I am playing as a christian king in the middle east, can my Court Chaplain find the assassins when hunting secret societies? Also, if I turn off demon worshipers and am playing as, say, the king of france, what will my Court Chaplain hunt? Are there other secret societies than just these two?

:D :D :D

Normally I'd agree with you. But with Paradox's track record I have no fear. Especially considering we get DDs regularly and know exactly what to expect. They've never promised something they didn't deliver, and their games mesh almost perfectly with what I'm looking for.

So, agree in principle, but Paradox is the exception to the rule for me :D.

Reactions:
If I am playing as a christian king in the middle east, can my Court Chaplain find the assassins when hunting secret societies? Also, if I turn off demon worshipers and am playing as, say, the king of france, what will my Court Chaplain hunt? Are there other secret societies than just these two?
well, if the Gnostic sects wern't removed.. we might have various 'heretic' secret sects to act as 'witches', which is closer to historical then the evil cults are.

Normally I'd agree with you. But with Paradox's track record I have no fear. Especially considering we get DDs regularly and know exactly what to expect. They've never promised something they didn't deliver, and their games mesh almost perfectly with what I'm looking for.

For me HOI4 was, paradoxically, an exception to that exception, but other than that - I too agree Paradox is the exception! ;)

And before anybody takes this as anything more than a mild, heartfelt jab that it is - I do see that HOI4 had the *best* release of the whole series when it comes to the state of the game, and I appreciate that. It's the nature of the beast that games are mostly worst at release and get better with time - I just got accustomed that Paradox games were awesome at launch and got *even better*. So here's hoping I'll get my fun out of it yet, but I got a bit more careful.

Reactions:

Oh really?

24qjt5u.jpg

Reactions:

I'd say that it would be better if we just didn't pre-order period, even companies that have a good record. The reason being is that way they're never put in a position where they could take advantage of the customer. It doesn't really mater if they would or won't if they don't have the chance.

Reactions:
After the horrible Conclave dlc/patch, they had (forced) to announce The death of CK2 but after new team assembled for Reapers Due patches, optimization, QoL changes, bug fixes...They basically revived a game which was in a death bed!

Monks & mystics DLC/patch looks good too. I can't believe we only get to enjoy last 2 DLC from this team's hands. I hope they postpone the death of CK2 and make the decision to allow them more DLC for CK2.

Reactions:
I'd say that it would be better if we just didn't pre-order period, even companies that have a good record. The reason being is that way they're never put in a position where they could take advantage of the customer. It doesn't really mater if they would or won't if they don't have the chance.

Yet you proudly display your Stellaris pre-order forum badge.

I don't mean to criticise or insult. Quite the opposite, really. I endorse having a choice, and making that choice as rational as possible, to bring the best possible outcome to oneself. I believe that choice is what gives us freedom and having as much as possible is, in the end, only best for us.

That being said, I think it's a case by case and person by person basis. I understand some of you feel Paradox has failed on some accounts. I can't disagree, but I can only say that they have failed you, not me, so I am still entitled to my own choice. I am very satisfied overall with Paradox's products. I own most of them, but not all. I don't own only those that don't interest me.

I think another factor here is expectations - I think you have more than me, but that is only an assumption.

TLDR: While I agree on principle about no pre-orders, I refuse to let principle dictate or reduce the number of my choices. Rather, principle occupies its well-deserved place as a decision factor, among many others.

Reactions:
Yet you proudly display your Stellaris pre-order forum badge.
The pre-order badge in this case was due to buying the game a handful of hours before it came out so I could pre-load the game and get a few goodies at the same time. Reviews and let's plays were already out at that point and I'd made the decision to buy the game based on that.

Honestly, I actually would prefer not to have that badge visible, but the current system is basically all or nothing so I don't have a choice. I wouldn't be able to visit the subforums if I didn't register literally everything.

The pre-order badge in this case was due to buying the game a handful of hours before it came out so I could pre-load the game and get a few goodies at the same time. Reviews and let's plays were already out at that point and I'd made the decision to buy the game based on that.

Honestly, I actually would prefer not to have that badge visible, but the current system is basically all or nothing so I don't have a choice. I wouldn't be able to visit the subforums if I didn't register literally everything.
You can choose to only have the base game visible and hence not the preorder.

Reactions:
Conclave was amazing! It made it actually somewhat hard to manage your realm!
Having to fight off vassal-initiated law changes can be challenging, sure, but there's some blind spots: at least twice I've had them initiate a vote that I actually wanted to succeed (tax hikes on cities and external inheritance bans) but there's no way to change my vote to be in favor.

Reactions:
Having to fight off vassal-initiated law changes can be challenging, sure, but there's some blind spots: at least twice I've had them initiate a vote that I actually wanted to succeed (tax hikes on cities and external inheritance bans) but there's no way to change my vote to be in favor.
The challenge comes in not being able to easily pass laws(and actually be able to influence whether or not they pass) while also having to choose between skilled Councillors and vassals. And if they make you initiate voting don't they also use the favor to make you vote for it?

Conclave was amazing! It made it actually somewhat hard to manage your realm!

If the game was too easy. Then don't start as the HRE or ERE etc. Using extremely easy starts like those of course needs Conclave to fuck up your game and actually create something for the player to do.

Overall, it is a horrible DLC.

Reactions: