• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #31: Back to work

Hello all! As some of you may know, Paradox spent the last 4 days in Malta and now we are back in Stockholm exhausted refreshed and re-energised, and ready to get back to work! Speaking of work, the topic of this Diary is the new Council jobs we are adding in the upcoming <Mystery> expansion. These are not quite like earlier jobs the Council could do though, because (with one exception) these are “off-map” jobs - you do not need to place the Councilor in a specific province to perform them.
council 1.jpg

please excuse the lack of unique art for the new jobs, it will be there

Chancellor - Perform Statecraft. This job increases the speed at which your Threat decays, and can fire events which improve relations with random vassals, neighbours, or your liege if you have one. If you have a specific character you want better relations with, the Improve Diplomatic Relations job will be more useful, but for general improvements Statecraft should be your choice.

Marshal - Organize the Army. This job lowers the upkeep cost of your Retinue (Or Horde), and can fire events to train existing or find new commanders.

Steward - Administer Realm. This job increases the speed of Cultural conversion in your realm’s provinces, and can fire events adding economic bonuses to any province. If you own Reaper’s Due, Prosperity throughout the Realm will also increase faster.

Spymaster - Sabotage. This is the exception I mentioned earlier. For owners of the <Mystery> expansion, the existing Scheme job will become “off-map” (if you don’t own it, Scheme will remain unchanged) and a new Sabotage job will be available for use on specific provinces. These provinces will suffer damage, gain unrest, and may even be made easier to siege due to sabotage and bribery.

Court Chaplain - Hunt Heretics. This job enables the Court Chaplain to hunt for members of shadowy cabals who plot against God and man alike.

And while I’m here and talking about the Council, let me mention something we’ve added for the 2.7 patch. When trying to have my Council agree to a vote with Conclave, it always bugged me that I would need to check in the tooltip of the law who was for and against it, then switch to the Council screen to bribe and cajole people, then check the law screen again to see who I had forgotten about. Instead, now you can ask that the Council considers a vote before you actually vote on it, which allows it to be shown on the Council screen along with icons on each Councilor showing how they will vote.
council2.jpg
council3.jpg

While it’s not in yet, we hope to add a button right there to start the voting process so that you don’t need to switch back to the laws tab once you have your votes arranged.

Don't forget to tune in to our Medieval Monday stream with Emil and Steven, starting at 16:00CET on https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

The stream will, as always, be available to watch later through either the Twitch VOD archive. Or through our Paradox Extra Youtube channel where you can find (pretty much) all our previous streams!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
And if that could be made moddable, that would be amazing. Imagine having two governments in the feudal group, both locked to elective, but one values the martial stat and personal combat skill, while the other prefers high learning and piety. It would feel very different playing them, even though almost all the mechanics would be identical.

This coupled with honorary titles that grant elector status would be very useful for modeling different governments, from the HRE to cannons choosing a bishop.

Reactions:
At the moment CK2 is unplayable for me as i am useing 4k resolution, when will we get a gui-scale option like in EU4, Stellaris or HoI4. This Option (even when only in the settings file like in EU4) would realy help. I just wanted to try to play CK2 today but as soon as the game was loaded i closed it as the GUI is to tiny.

At the moment CK2 is unplayable for me as i am useing 4k resolution, when will we get a gui-scale option like in EU4, Stellaris or HoI4. This Option (even when only in the settings file like in EU4) would realy help. I just wanted to try to play CK2 today but as soon as the game was loaded i closed it as the GUI is to tiny.

This is a problem, but you can set your resolution as you desire in the preferences pane. I'm playing the game at about half the resolution my computer is capable of, because even on a 27" monitor, 4k GUI is too small.

Reactions:
Is there a DD for today planned? @Darkrenown

Would you guys please stop this. It's the same thing every week, I check the forum one, two, three, four times and then 'Hell yeah, DD is out ! ... Wait no, some guy just bumped last week's DD because he can't wait another hour.' Jeez. That's like, a very very small rollercoaster.

Last edited:
Reactions:
It's about 3pm in Sweden just now. There's still plenty of time for a DD to pop up. Patience, friend.

I know , I am in the same timezone. As far as i remember they usually posted them around 3 PM

Spymaster - Sabotage. This is the exception I mentioned earlier. For owners of the <Mystery> expansion, the existing Scheme job will become “off-map” (if you don’t own it, Scheme will remain unchanged) and a new Sabotage job will be available for use on specific provinces. These provinces will suffer damage, gain unrest, and may even be made easier to siege due to sabotage and bribery.

Is this about to become the new AI Seduction spam?

This is a problem, but you can set your resolution as you desire in the preferences pane. I'm playing the game at about half the resolution my computer is capable of, because even on a 27" monitor, 4k GUI is too small.
That is an option, but all other mayor games from Paradox (EU4, HoI4 and Stellaris) that uses the same engine, offer the Option to scale GUI. So it cant be so hard to implement it even when it would only be an config option like it is in EU4.
Its a shame that it is not implemented sofar.
I liked to play CK2 (befor i got 4k screen) like EU, HoI or Stellaris. But lately i am only playing the later three as there it is possible to scale the GUI.

will we be able to do the spanish enquisition?
That's outside of the game's timeline, and the popular image of the various inquisition is more like what occurred in the Renaissance than the Middle Ages. But yes, you will be able to set your Chaplain to Hunt Heretics.

Reactions: