• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello all! As some of you may know, Paradox spent the last 4 days in Malta and now we are back in Stockholm exhausted refreshed and re-energised, and ready to get back to work! Speaking of work, the topic of this Diary is the new Council jobs we are adding in the upcoming <Mystery> expansion. These are not quite like earlier jobs the Council could do though, because (with one exception) these are “off-map” jobs - you do not need to place the Councilor in a specific province to perform them.
council 1.jpg

please excuse the lack of unique art for the new jobs, it will be there

Chancellor - Perform Statecraft. This job increases the speed at which your Threat decays, and can fire events which improve relations with random vassals, neighbours, or your liege if you have one. If you have a specific character you want better relations with, the Improve Diplomatic Relations job will be more useful, but for general improvements Statecraft should be your choice.

Marshal - Organize the Army. This job lowers the upkeep cost of your Retinue (Or Horde), and can fire events to train existing or find new commanders.

Steward - Administer Realm. This job increases the speed of Cultural conversion in your realm’s provinces, and can fire events adding economic bonuses to any province. If you own Reaper’s Due, Prosperity throughout the Realm will also increase faster.

Spymaster - Sabotage. This is the exception I mentioned earlier. For owners of the <Mystery> expansion, the existing Scheme job will become “off-map” (if you don’t own it, Scheme will remain unchanged) and a new Sabotage job will be available for use on specific provinces. These provinces will suffer damage, gain unrest, and may even be made easier to siege due to sabotage and bribery.

Court Chaplain - Hunt Heretics. This job enables the Court Chaplain to hunt for members of shadowy cabals who plot against God and man alike.

And while I’m here and talking about the Council, let me mention something we’ve added for the 2.7 patch. When trying to have my Council agree to a vote with Conclave, it always bugged me that I would need to check in the tooltip of the law who was for and against it, then switch to the Council screen to bribe and cajole people, then check the law screen again to see who I had forgotten about. Instead, now you can ask that the Council considers a vote before you actually vote on it, which allows it to be shown on the Council screen along with icons on each Councilor showing how they will vote.
council2.jpg
council3.jpg

While it’s not in yet, we hope to add a button right there to start the voting process so that you don’t need to switch back to the laws tab once you have your votes arranged.

Don't forget to tune in to our Medieval Monday stream with Emil and Steven, starting at 16:00CET on https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

The stream will, as always, be available to watch later through either the Twitch VOD archive. Or through our Paradox Extra Youtube channel where you can find (pretty much) all our previous streams!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Would you consider reviewing the existing jobs at the same time, and adding some helpful hints to their descriptions?

It's on my "Things to do if there's time" list. I do sometimes use Oversee Construction when I have plenty of money and want to get some long build-time buildings up, or Suppress revolts for tricky arrests. I also can't balance existing jobs with the expansion-locked 4th job in mind unless we make different versions. But we'll see.

Reactions:
It also cut's the cost of the buildings unless I am mistaken? Or is that only if the master builder event fires, anyway it applies to building holdings so you can potentially save a lot of cash there.

Only when master builder fires.

Speaking of commanders, could you please please please make it possible to go back to the old system for military commanders as a game rule when starting a new game? I'd love to be able to skip the part of hiring and replacing them and just going straight to picking the leaders for each army instead.

Not quite what you suggested, but I hope to add a auto-assign commander title toggle for that reason. Will confirm in a future DD if it gets done.

What was the purpose of the trip to Malta? Was it related to development or was it just a break?

It was partly for fun, partly to have some big conferences and team-build.

Reactions:
Nice!

Councilors can always benefit from more stuff. Even if it's just more events.
Anyway, any plans to give more fluff for the honorary titles? As of now, I see most of those titles as means to raise opinion with my vassals.
Maybe an event or few for those?

I agree that more minor title flavour would be good, I don't think we'll have time for this DLC/patch though.

Speaking of retinues, what will the marshal job do if one does not own the DLC that enables retinues? Just allow a few events to fire?

Edit:
Perhaps you'll take the EU4 approach, and allow this dlc to unlock retinues as well?

We have a few thoughts in that regard, but I won't comment before it's decided. I'm aware of the issue though :)

Reactions:
Why not just add what the council thinks about a law below the yes or no options instead of having to click on council consideration?

You can already see what the think in the tooltip, the point of having it shown on the council screen is so that you can interact with them more easily if you need to influence their vote. It would be trickier to add character links and updating vote status to a popup box.

Cheers for the DD Darkrenown :D. As well as the straight-up quality-of-life improvement of considering a vote on the council (I soooo get where you're coming from, and appreciate the change), some of those council jobs are also a bit that way (for example, I'd often 'rotate my chancellor' around when I wasn't targeting a specific vassal, but being able to just set to Statecraft sounds like something I'd do a lot). Sabotage, on the other hand, just sounds cool :cool:.

TBH My chancellor often sat doing nothing before we added this. If no powerful vassal was annoyed with me and/or I played someone without the need to forge claims then my chancellor just naps all day.

I'm glad that my chaplain is finally going to be able to hunt for heresy, but will there actually be heresy? Some more heresy mechanics would be appreciated, especially for the many, many Catholic ones. And how about actual devil worship? I would love for my character to seal an infernal pact in order to secure the kingdom.

I was vague about the Chaplain job because I'll talk in more details about that in a future DD :)

Reactions:
This is really great, I love it! By the way, is there a chance that we'd see the "reasoning" of electors in elective kinds of succession laws? Even without adding features to it (like integrating with Favours, Foci, and other actions and events) just knowing why someone's voting for A and not voting for our designated B could go a long way to make elective more interesting and strategic, as we'd know who's close to being bribed or otherwise convinced, and who needs to be *disposed of* ;)

Not in this update. Ever? I would need to look into how it's actually done to see if it'd be feasible to show/interact with more. I like the idea though.

Has spending some time there inspired anything?

Nothing major, a few more QoL ideas came out of just chatting with people about the features though.

Reactions: