• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #112 - Wonderful News

Good afternoon

It has been a while since we wrote one of these and I am sure you are all dying to know what we have been working on, because of course, we have been working away on the next exciting thing. Our next update will be free and will focus on a brand new feature: Wonders.

Cathedrals, Fortresses, Pyramids and many many more wonders are planned for the next update. By investing a significant amount of gold and time you will be able to build a wondrous building. These will be built in stages meaning that even if you cannot finish it in your lifetime, your descendants will be able to finish what you started.

AZYZmx0vlS_ZH2iQsqil7Oz6TjbZleFU5yy_UWqUVFRKeIMZkd9h9qIHgmVChU1scVtGPei7_IxMYr0q9TsoM1hiv6POGSfXjhyq-s0O5HUEXwcww9JuhNXpy0ouzkT0cyM8wZeE

Wonders and their stages

Now even though many Cathedrals or Great Libraries may be built, we want to ensure they are not all the same, so it will be possible to add upgrades to your wonders, everything from spikes to gargoyles, to gardens, each of these giving unique modifiers and sometimes unlocks new content.

FEM4wFahykamwv5bYxsZAyp0-Ld7cIbhvP6tabeSgt__fpL05Y-LWqzAujBbUGm1T7FwSE7gIkrOR3kvRP178WOfHAyQkJVaN0DBaRwa8zb4ICPh41EZW74z-26fR2mYoG0S_UK0

Upgrade Icons

We will also be adding some prebuilt historical wonders to the game, to represent already existing buildings, such as the Pyramids of Giza and the Colosseum of Rome. (Maybe you can even add an upgrade or two)

If you have fun ideas for any of this please let us know. I can’t promise it will get in, but it just might.

We hope you’re as excited about this as we are and please remember that all the art is work in progress.

I suggested few times Wonders as the element of Stewardship Immortality eventchain, but that also works. ;)

Btw, how long it will take to construct a single wonder? It took about 180 years to build Notre-Dame in Paris.

Last edited:
If you have fun ideas for any of this please let us know

Add the Theodosian Walls & on-map buildings from the Conclave Content Pack!

Some megalithic stonehange-like stuff for pagans?
Big fortresses(think Malbork)

Another shot for Babel is a must though

Oh and BTW I love the way ck2 is developed.

I suggested few times Wonders as the element of Stewardship Immortality eventchain, but that also works. ;)

Btw, how long it will take to construct a single wonder? It took about 180 years to build Notre-Dame in Paris.
The idea is that to finish a wonder properly will take a few generations. Unsure about exact years yet.

Can I rebuild the Alexandria Library? Is it possible to collect books from realms all over the world to improve the quality of the library? Please add events that piss off the the church and zealous characters. I think CK2 is about the stories we tell, it would be great to have realm instability or foreing wars tied down to stuff you do in the game (like going around collecting heretic books).

Since we are talking about sciene. How about star observatories and "great" Universities?

How many wonders per kingdom?
This is definetly something I want to know; because, and especially with a rich immortal, i would hope you could have more than 1 per realm (just heavily disincentivized due to cost and build time) simply because if you build one and it ends up being a "meh" thing, being unable to start a different one would suck.

Or just being a new roman emperor and saying "screw it, wonders for everyone"

Just please not limited like it's a "bloodline but for realms", bloodline founding sucks enough once you inevitably have an immortal

Some specific ones that might be cool: the Alhambra, Medina Azahara, Great Mosque of Djenne, Beni Hammad Fort, Dome of the Rock, Great Mosque of Samarra, Dome of Soltaniyeh, Po-i-Kalyan, Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi, Buddhas of Bamiyan, Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Jetavanaramaya, Brihadisvara Temple, and the Tarikhaneh Temple.

I definitely want to be able to build a massive statue of my character that breathes fire and shouts "REMEMBER ME" though.