• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
E-Rommel said:
Just lost von Manstein in battle. Not my fault but really sucks anyways. :(

:eek:

That is incredibly rare for me, it never happens.[losing a leader in battle]
What a leader to lose !

E-Rommel said:
If it's rare that you lose any leader, then I'm doing something wrong. I also lost Nehring in the same time period as Manstein. Stupid Soviets.

Are you using the latest patch?

E-Rommel said:
Yea, latest patch and all, just bad luck I guess.

definently bad luck, must be a real pain :(

I think my biggest goof is playing as Romania and declaring war on the Balkan states. One at a time, mind you. But after I annexed Bularia and Hungary, occupied Greece and declared war on Yugoslavia, Germany declared war on me. I just didn't have the manpower to keep my divisions from being depleted and destroyed, though they were holding their own for a while.

I've made a lot of goofs, mainly diplomatic, but one of the major tactical mistakes happened when I was playing as Belgium in 36GC. I extended the Maginot line virtually making my country inpenatrable from all directions but the west. With my security virtually assured, I focused on building up my army for an assualt on German occupied Denmark. I squeezed mp and ic to their limits and by I think '42 I was ready. I launched an amphibious landing in Central Denmark. My total forces consisted of mostly brigaded infantry divs and few armored divs; about 20-22 total. I sent th ebulk of my forces southward through Denmark. Another corps advanced on undefended Copenhagen and one or two divs guarded the beachhead. My intent was to liberate Denmark, prevent German ships from passing between the Copenhagen straits and establish a vast beachhead extending to the German-Denmark border or farth south if possible.

The advance on Copenhagen was repulsed by Axis divisions moving into the city but the main advance succeeded in taking Hamburg and driving a little past that city. However a steady flow of axis reinforcements halted my advance, pushed my forces into Hamburg and encircled them. A series of Desperate relief attempts proved fruitless and the army(12-15 divs) was destroyed. Several divisions were still up in the north but the only option remaining was an ignominious retreat from the penninsula.

Belgium going solo into the heart of the reich ain't exactly the best strategy. ;)

Started as Japan in '39. By late 1941 I'd unified China, Thailand, Indochina, and decided to invade the USSR instead of a Pearl Harbor. My forces fought well for several months only to get nailed by a Bitter Peace resolution, I had troops as far west as Omsk by Xmas 1943. I got a huge dissent hit from *redeclaring war on USSR the next day* (beat them in 8 months) and the USA/Allies declared war on me. Germany turned into a paper tiger after UK launched a huge invasion of France before the Wehrmacht could redeploy and died off in late 1944. I ended up redirecting infantry into the Dutch East Indies, India, Australia, Panama, Suriname, Australia, and California. By the end of '47 I'd overrun everything north of Darwin, India, Suriname, and gained a toehold in Seattle, but got smashed in Perth, Sydney, New Zealand, California, Panama, western India, and England (I did manage to gain control of a swath from Glascow to and including Birmingham). My navy was deploying over 20 super-heavy carriers but the Americans had dropped atomic bombs on Tokyo, Nagasaki, Truk, Saigon, and Beijing. Britain stood to lose Ceylon but it might take a nuke to dislodge them (I just got dirty bombs in June '47). American tech is almost maxed out and we're fighting with improved jet fighters/CAGs. Had I waited I'd have been able to take out India/SE Pacific and perhaps cut a swath to Europe for direct support and elimination of MidEast oil supplies to the Allies.

I had plenty of foul ups mainly because I like to play on faster speeds. My worst howerever was the loss of my airforce, some 40 + planes when I was preparing for sealion. I set them in Brest before distributing them in other airbases. Unfortunately I my garrison of Brest took too long and the French had landed destroying all of the aircraft.

In MP my biggest goof was in the 38 scenario dibanding the whole Italian army, I was so disgusted by the 70 strength divisions I felt it would be better to do a serial run of factories and then rebuild my army. Never got to that though, I was invaded and pulled Germany down with me.

I started a game as USA, built up my industry, techs and forces very well, staged them in Iceland and was all prepared to join the war and spank the Germans. Then I saved the game and went traveling for 5 weeks....

....I got back, launched the game, then without paying attention to the flag icon on the save file I loaded it up and selected Germany as the country I thought I was supposed to be playing. While I was trying to make sense of the mess the AI had made of the Wehrmacht dispositions and thinking I must have accidentally played a different country for a while by mistake before making this save, American divisions start pouring into France where the AI had failed to garrison the beaches properly and my strat-deployed forces had not yet arrived. I stripped the Russian front to try to get units into the theater to contain the beachhead and sent the Kriegsmarine out to try to sink the TPs ferrying the troops which were pouring into it. Miraculously they got past England without being intercepted by the RN. Then they ran smack into an American fleet of exactly 5 CVs, 6 CLs, 6 DDs and 1 SS - one of my favorite formulae for a CTF composition. It was only then that I realized I was being ravaged by an American war machine I had created myself.

In my defence, I was on my 5th bottle of Guiness when I started the game that night.

My first was way back when in the first HOI. It was my first time playing as America. I wasn't too sure how to really play the game, and what kind of scripted events there were, etc. Anyway, one thing leads to another and it's late 43, everything is going crazy and BAM! America becomes communist.

Second was my first time playing as a minor. It was Romania '36. I figured I would build and build until Germany would let me into the alliance. Than came the scripted event I had never seen before, Russia demands territory. I thought, You know what? Maybe if I refuse the demands, and go to war with the SU, Germany will ally! Heck, I have a decent size army, I can hold them off. Even though Germany doesn't ally, things go well, I even take Odessa. About a week later 300 Soviet divisions come knocking at my door. Or should I say ripping the door off the hinges, setting it on fire, then blowing up the ashes. I think you know what happened next. :D

I think mine was playing Austria. I cheated myself to get Social Democrat and part of the Allies. Germany attacks Poland, of course I'm at war with them. The Germans don't really care for me and my troops are in Prague, Munich and Stuttgart. Then the Germans annex Poland. Next thing is the German Tanks rolling into Vienna. Never mess with your big brother!

But my all time favourite was the German AI. I played Japan and decided not to fight the USA but rather go for the Soviets. They were no problem and the Germans also managed to get into Central Asia. Then the US landed in the Bretagne in September. They were in Berlin by Christmas. Bye Germany!

I remeber one game as Germany where I was trying to get the Dutch in the Axis (so I could mess around in the pacific) as a consequence I took out France, Belgium and luxembourg and the British Isles whilst offering my new facist brothers in Rotterdam the chance to join the Greater Reich.

Having secured the middle-east and African coast-line I was fully focused on my advance to Vladivostok and figuring that I'd be on the Pacific soon enough I had forgotten about the Dutch, the same Dutch that had unnoticed by me revolted at some point during Barbarossa and decided to ally with the remenants of the commonwealth and decided to advance on Berlin!!!

My troops in France were cut-off as were my UK forces and my 'Danish coastguard were annilated by the time I had realised that my IC was dropping rapidly and I hadn't been watching the Game log where in the intrests of speed I had shoved all the messages.

In one of my current game's not upgrading the US Atlantic Fleet,except for adding one '38 level CV to the one already with it.I join the allies in late '42 since nothing is happening with being invited,and Japan is not attacking,and take my fleet into the Med to support the landings.

I get the negotiate with Vichy event and they refuse and i choose war.Between the Vichy and Italian fleets its been tough going and the two CV are not enough to make up for a fleet composed almost entirely of WWI and 1920's vessels.Almost all of the DD and CL have been sunk along with two BB.I've taken out the French carrier and some of the Italian fleet,but the landings are called off until a crash ship building program is finished.I've set myself back almost a year by not upgrading that fleet along with the Pacific Fleet.

Jai said:
My troops in France were cut-off as were my UK forces and my 'Danish coastguard were annilated by the time I had realised that my IC was dropping rapidly and I hadn't been watching the Game log where in the intrests of speed I had shoved all the messages.

This has happened to me many a times as well. It's easy not to notice a crisis going on back home when you're concentrated on a campaign halfway across the world.