• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An early game 100 point peace deal with England is East Anglia, Oxfordshire, Wessex and Kent ;) England will have to wait until I'm happy with the situation in Iberia. Iberia is more important as there are two colonisers and Portugal usually starts earliest. Iberia is also a jump off point for Muslim lands.

I've decided I'm going to try and avoid using the 'navy bankruptcy cycle'.

If you take all four, they just relocate the capital. East Anglia, Oxfordshire and Wessex makes for certain (yearly) bankruptcy. . . But you decided against exploiting that bug. It probably makes for better AAR material, so it's all good.:)

dealing with provence is easy.. just provoke the type of rebels that defect to same culture type in their 2nd province, and it will eventually defect to you without any BB cost :)

This seems to be flowing faster than I thought. Burgundy can do a lot of your dirty job if you leave them alone for a couple of decades :D Don't let them connect their capital to their sea provinces, though, they might start colonising since they are wealthy enough.

FEEDBACK

sprites - Gyathaar has explained my cunning plan. I could try cancelling vasselisation but Provence can be diploannexed without a Centralisation hit (by mission) so I don't bother trying. Italian minors are much more unpredictable than England so who knows what would happen if I let Provence free.

Capibara - The English navy with be avoided if at all possible, the cost of matching it is very high for a country with no real fleet and not much coastline.

The Arch Mede - Ideally I won't ever fight a significant naval war. Here's something to think about, QftNW will probably be fourth, possibly fifth! There are higher priorities than colonising.

birdboy2000 - Glad to have you on board. Your France looked pretty damn hard to play.

kebzero - Portugal is small enough to Force Vassalise and whoever comes out on top in Italy will probably take Sardinia. England is cored on Armagnac, I've played ahead a few years ;)

Enewald - Morooco and the other North Africans are targets for about 1450 onwards when I switch from knocking out the colonisers to invading the Islamic world.

Selmuth - Provinces from England will be based on stopping the revolters from forming so I won't cripple England in any of the early wars.

Gyathaar - Correct :)

aldriq - Burgundy could do a lot of work for me but they are sitting on five cored right religion right culture provinces. The war machine really needs that land.

Qorten - Thanks

Hitmanalex - They've two provinces but they also forced the TO to release Gotland. I may have to drug test the AI.

Chapter Four

Anjou, Provence’s second province is Cosmopolitaine cultured. Patriot rebels should cause it to defect from Occitain Provence to Cosmopolitaine France without any BB.

Rebels with X-Wings (i.e. the right sort)

5mkg0w.jpg

England has more troops than France and a much bigger navy. While I know how I intend to take them down the lack of strategic mobility once I land troops means I need to remove any continental threats first.

Burgundy first, they have five French cores. I can win a significant peace deal without picking up any BB. After that I’d like one or two more rounds of war in Iberia before ‘Sealion’.

Papal Controller – March 1415

11jsshz.jpg

While Papal Controller is hugely useful due to the extra 0.25 annual BB burn I don’t try for it this early. Cardinals come and go too fast and I don’t hold enough provinces to catch sufficient free replacements.

The available decision is ‘Imperial Administration’, meh.

Control of the Papacy lasted three months.

Anjou defects – April 1417

2hqgs48.jpg

I also inherit the rebel army 8,000 men (1 cav / 7 inf) and a general (1/2/2/1).

July 1417, with BB dropping below 5 I send warnings to Portugal, Castile and Aragon to go with the existing warning on Burgundy. My only other significant neighbour is a heavily armed England. The potential exists for a ‘the war situation has developed not necessarily to France’s advantage’ moment.

Land Tech Level 5 – April 1418

2z6f9kw.jpg

I choose Longbow for the additional offensive shock.

By October 1418 time has run out, with BB down to 3.48 / 16.00, it’s time for…

War with Burgundy

160wh0y.jpg

Interesting enemy third in that list :D

BB jumps to 5.48 / 16.00 but the war objectives are not heavy on BB. I’ll probably need to go straight into another war to keep my BB growing.

December 1419 just as I decisively gain the upper hand in the war against Burgundy recently warned Castile DOWs Navarre! French Iberia has rebel problems perhaps Castile’s rebuilt armies can help me…

War with Castile

15pfi9v.jpg

Western Europe

51ebdk.jpg

Brittany is at war with England, I’m hoping for cores and cash – ideally England will then vasselise and that’s one less minor to worry about.

Peace with Portugal – May 1420

ie1n60.jpg

Portugal is vassalised, I’ll diploannex as soon as I can. Even as a vassal the COT means Portugal can afford colonies, an undesirable outcome. Shortly after this Vendee falls and Brittany peaces out for cores and 25 ducats. War Score against Burgundy is in the 70s but I have several sieges still to complete while this enemy has no field forces left.

BB is 4.68 / 16.00

October 1420 England annexes Tyrone to control all of Ireland and vassalises Brittany. Days later England declares war on Armagnac, they annex after a long siege.

Peace with Burgundy – March 1421

2lv1p9c.jpg

This deal is no less than four core provinces so no BB. It also isolates Burgundy’s capital, a cored French province.

BB is 3.73 / 16.00

I’ve possibly been a little overzealous; Burgundy is being gangbanged and is quite likely to be ‘minored’ in this war. I don’t treat this as quite the disaster some people have suggested. There’s lots of time and someone will consolidate Germany. Hesse did it in my test game.

December 1421 – Provence accepts annexation

iglxdj.jpg

BB is 3.87 / 16.00

The new mission is ‘Reclaim Calais’, essentially a 5 prestige bonus for reclaiming my core in Calais, already on the medium term agenda.

Peace with Castile – January 1422

5u1b2e.jpg

BB is 6.78 / 16.00

My BB burn is unchanged at 1.15 per annum; a Diplo 6 monarch and 11 stars of diplomats at the court.

Iberia is nearly sufficiently under control to permit the focus to switch to England. Preparation is already in hand, 12,000 cavalry are being shipped to Scotland. This could be a do or die mission as there’s no escape. My navy isn’t even road kill when faced with the English fleet. I’ve also secured military access from Utrecht as somewhere to hide my ships once the Scottish force is in place.

That was an excellent turn! You gained very useful provinces from Burgundy with no BB at all. Another war and Castille should be out of coastline and a French vassal. As for Portugal colonizing, it's still a long time before they can do that, and I think they should've been annexed by then. Now, the real test comes: England. Good luck with that.

Why didn't you take Lisboa from the peace treaty?

I guess because then it would not have been possible to force vassalise in the peace treaty. Provided he gets the diploannex before they colonise anywhere he comes out ahead. Maybe there is an unfinished colony already out there that he cant see and diplo annex is the only way to grab it.

I think the problems of England are being overstated. You have safe haven for an army in Scotland, and England will probably ship their army somewhere useless, or somewhere it can be slaughtered.

Try to hold the papal controller title, it burns 0.25 BB.

Take Southern and Western England first. They will hopefully annex Scotland before you are done with them.

Good luck.

FEEDBACK

elbasto - I couldn't vasselise and take Lisbon in the same peace deal as the war score cost is too high. I want Portugal out of the colonial race as soon as possible and I want Iberia absorbed before 1450. The garrison force is about a third of my entire army at his point.

birdboy2000 - Yeah I'm please Armagnac worked out like that. You can point the AI at an OPM but they won't always take the bait.

Gyathaar - See my answer to elbasto, but remember it's not enough to stop Portugal colonising they need to be annexed as well. Anyway after Portugal held out in Jamtland during my Iroquois AAR I'm not taking chances

Capibara - Cheers, that's pretty much how I saw that update.

The Arch Mede - That's right about Portugal. I don't want to leave an OPM surrounded by France behind. Not everything like that will get diplo'd / inherited / whatever so I may have to spend BB going after them. The colonial problem does exist as an OPM with a COT is wealthy enough and Portugal gets those early missions.

Nodscouterr - The problem early in the game is how much money it costs - Cardinals don't last too long and I don't control enough provinces yet to get lots of free replacements.

EUROO7 - I'd like England to take out Scotland but they've done enough already having annexed all the Irish minors, Armagnac and vasselised Brittany. Not sure about the order in which I'll take stuff from England.

If anyone is interested this game is played to a sound track of Led Zep / Lily Allen / My Chemical Romance and Frank Turner.

Chapter Five

France warns England against further war in June 1422 and Castile in September 1422. There are over 50,000 English soldiers stationed on French borders.

Castile goes bankrupt in December 1422. They have 7 connected provinces, no army and the navy isn’t that big. Revolt risk in the capital Toledo is 13%; policy restrictions and -3 stability :eek: as well as war exhaustion. I also move another point Centralised.

Summer 1423, the eastern border is changes character as Lorraine takes Bourgogne, turning Burgundy into a Dutch power. I now have a CB on Lorraine rather than Burgundy. Later I realised the game isn't recognising this I'll have to save/reload at a convenient point.

k9jgoy.jpg

My current thinking is leave these two to set about consolidating the Rhine valley.

The King is Dead, Long Live the King - 12th August 1423

2ajzxwm.jpg

No change to the all important Diplomacy stat, six isn’t too bad. My court remains unchanged with the same 11 stars worth of diplomats.

November 1423 and OPM Granada declares Independence from Castile. Granada has an army Castile doesn’t and Castile is bankrupt so this could prove interesting…

24th June 1424 England declares war on Scotland. I honour my warning on the 1st of July as maintenance has been reduced during peace time.

The starting line up

2m76pt3.jpg

Political Map

sq2ool.jpg

Diplomatic Map

300bbsg.jpg

BB is 3.93 / 16.00

A great AAR yet again. I expect good British humour more than gameplay lessons but I will settle for anything.

You make me want to play EU when you write AAR's. I've been playing CK since the American Indian AAR of yours ended.

Really low BB so far. As long as you keep just annexing provinces instead of OPM's you can grow really fast. Absorbing the HRE will be a pain in the *** though.

2 updates in 16 hours :eek: Are you on holiday or just making sure this AAR is a fast one? Good luck with England, although it shouldn't be too difficult to get the provinces you want in this first war.

Lorraine got Burgundy? :confused:

Lorraine is like Lily Allen, tiny but ruthless :D